|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What upsets Gilly when she starts reading a poem?
(a) It is written in old English, and she thinks they are trying to make a fool of her.
(b) She doesn't know the words and thinks they are trying to make her look stupid.
(c) It is written in another language and she thinks they are playing a joke on her.
(d) The poems are all about doom and she doesn't like them.
2. What kind of book does Mrs. Trotter say Mr. Randolph likes?
3. What happens when Mr. Randolph suggests Gilly read the Bible to them?
(a) She asks if she could play the piano instead.
(b) She says she has a lot of homework.
(c) She suggests they save the Bible for another night.
(d) She suggests she go to his house and find another book.
4. What is written on the note Agnes gives to Gilly when they walk home from school together?
(a) Agnes wants to invite Gilly to a party.
(b) Agnes wants to be penpals with Gilly.
(c) Agnes wants to tell Gilly a secret.
(d) Agnes wants to know when she could talk.
5. At the close of Chapter 3, what is Gilly's plan at the close?
(a) She plans to play tricks on the teachers and principal.
(b) She plans to set off the fire alarm and call in a bomb threat.
(c) She plans to start a riot among the students.
(d) She plans to have the school in an uproar within a week.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gilly's first impression of Maime Trotter?
2. In the beginning of Chapter 7, what opportunity pleases Gilly?
3. What do Gilly and William Ernest find high on the shelf?
4. Why is Gilly so upset with Agnes in the cafeteria?
5. What does William Ernest say when he lets go of the plane so it could fly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What goes through Gilly's mind when she thinks about her last foster parents getting rid of her?
2. What makes Gilly change her mind and comb her hair for her first day of school?
3. What unpleasant memory does Gilly have when she thinks about Mrs. Trotter overprotecting William Ernest?
4. What does Gilly feel about the books she finds on Mr. Randolph's bookshelf?
5. Why does Gilly slam the book shut after she begins reading poetry to Mr. Randolph?
6. Where does Gilly get the idea to play an unkind racist joke on Miss Harris?
7. What is Gilly thinking about her reputation as a foster child as she and Miss Ellis drive to Gilly's new foster home?
8. What is Gilly's usual trick to get her teachers upset about her abilities?
9. What is Gilly thinking after meeting her new foster mother, Mrs. Trotter?
10. Why does Gilly become so upset when she learns about Mrs. Trotter's regular dinner guest, Mr. Randolph?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)