|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gilly do by the third week in October?
(a) She catches up and passes the rest of the students in her classwork.
(b) She tricks Miss Harris into thinking she liked her.
(c) She joins the girl's basketball team.
(d) She manages to be sent to a new foster home.
2. What does Gilly mean when she says Trotter must think Gilly's "mental"?
(a) That she is crazy.
(b) That she is "dumb" or "stupid."
(c) That she has ESP.
(d) That she is able to read Mrs. Trotter's mind.
3. What is the name of Gilly's last foster mother?
(a) Maime Trotter.
(b) Mrs. Richmond.
(c) Mrs. Newman.
(d) Mrs. Nevins.
4. After dinner, what does Mrs.Trotter suggest Gilly do for Mr. Randolph?
(a) Tell him a story.
(b) Play checkers.
(c) Read something for him.
(d) Walk him home.
5. What does Miss Harris say about Gilly's given name?
(a) That Galadriel is too hard a name to say.
(b) That Galadriel is a beautiful name and it is from Tolkien.
(c) That Galadriel is a funny name.
(d) That Galadriel is a very unusual name.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what is Gilly's last desperate gesture?
2. Who is Galadriel Hopkins?
3. Who is William Ernest?
4. What happens when Maime asks Gilly to help make salad for dinner?
5. What does Mrs. Trotter say to Gilly after watching William Ernest fly the plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Gilly's reply when Mrs. Trotter empathizes with the difficulty Gilly must have had by being moved around so often?
2. Why does Gilly slam the book shut after she begins reading poetry to Mr. Randolph?
3. In the beginning of Chapter 1, what is learned about Gilly Hopkins' time in the foster system?
4. What does Gilly ask to be allowed to do that surprises Mrs. Trotter?
5. What unpleasant memory does Gilly have when she thinks about Mrs. Trotter overprotecting William Ernest?
6. What happens to Gilly when she is cleaning shelves for Mr. Randolph while he is in the room?
7. What is Gilly's usual trick to get her teachers upset about her abilities?
8. What does Gilly do at recess on the playground?
9. What analogy does Gilly use to describe Miss Harris's seeming lack of emotions?
10. How does Mr. Randolph explain the word "mean" to Gilly when she asks how a flower can be mean?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)