|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What trick did Gilly play at her previous school?
(a) She failed every subject.
(b) She got such good grades she started teaching her class.
(c) She did great school work, but failed all her tests.
(d) She got good grades, then suddenly stopped working.
2. What does Miss Harris admit after class?
(a) She doesn't say anything. She just sits sniffing her flowers, wearing her funny smile.
(b) She phones for an exterminator during lunch.
(c) She tells the principal she isn't pregnant.
(d) She tells Gilly that they have a lot in common.
3. What upsets Gilly on the morning before she is to go for her first day of school?
(a) Mrs. Trotter asks her to make the beds.
(b) Gilly is tired and doesn't want to get up so early for school.
(c) Mrs. Trotter makes her get her own breakfast.
(d) Gilly doesn't want to start school that day.
4. What is written on the note Agnes gives to Gilly when they walk home from school together?
(a) Agnes wants to know when she could talk.
(b) Agnes wants to be penpals with Gilly.
(c) Agnes wants to tell Gilly a secret.
(d) Agnes wants to invite Gilly to a party.
5. After dinner, what does Mrs.Trotter suggest Gilly do for Mr. Randolph?
(a) Walk him home.
(b) Tell him a story.
(c) Play checkers.
(d) Read something for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Trotter say about making friends with Gilly?
2. Who else does Gilly decide to enlist to help her find more money at Mr. Randolph's house?
3. How does Gilly get William Ernest to participate in her plot?
4. What does Miss Harris admit doing in the teacher's room at noon?
5. What does Miss Harris do at 3 o'clock when class was over?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 1, what is learned about Gilly Hopkins' time in the foster system?
2. Why does Gilly become so upset when she learns about Mrs. Trotter's regular dinner guest, Mr. Randolph?
3. Why has Gilly decided to pay attention in Miss Harris's class?
4. At the end of Chapter 5, why won't Gilly look over her shoulder at Mrs. Trotter?
5. What is Gilly's reply when Mrs. Trotter empathizes with the difficulty Gilly must have had by being moved around so often?
6. Where does Gilly get the idea to play an unkind racist joke on Miss Harris?
7. In Chapter 7, what plan is Gilly concocting?
8. What does Agnes Stokes take for granted about Gilly?
9. What does Gilly ask to be allowed to do that surprises Mrs. Trotter?
10. Why does Gilly slam the book shut after she begins reading poetry to Mr. Randolph?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)