|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 10, who is at the door?
(a) Mr. Randolph's son.
(b) The doctor.
(d) Gilly's grandmother.
2. In Chapter 11, what happens when Gilly gets home from school?
(a) Miss Ellis tells her that Courtney wants her to visit her.
(b) Mrs. Trotter tells her she has to move to a new foster home.
(c) Miss Ellis is there to tell her she is going to live with her grandmother permanently.
(d) Mrs. Trotter tells Gilly she must go live with her grandmother.
3. In the letter, what does Gilly ask William Ernest to tell Mrs. Trotter?
(a) That they have three cooks and a maid.
(b) That they have a horse trainer and three maids.
(c) That they have three maids and a cook.
(d) That they have a horse trainer, three maids, and a cook.
4. In Chapter 11, what does Gilly say to Agnes that even surprises herself?
(a) She tells Agnes she visited her grandmother over Thanksgiving.
(b) She admits she enjoyed her Thanksgiving holiday.
(c) She says it is great to be needed.
(d) Gilly refers to Mrs. Trotter, William Ernest, and Mr. Randolph as her family.
5. In Chapter 10, what happens to Gilly when responsibility is thrust upon her?
(a) She takes care of herself.
(b) She calls the doctor and asks for a nurse.
(c) She takes two days off from school to help.
(d) She and Agnes skip school.
6. What do they decide to do after Mr. Randolph refuses to let Mrs. Trotter tell his son he's sick?
(a) Mrs. Trotter insists he come stay at her house till he recovers.
(b) Mrs. Trotter stays with him and asks Gilly to look after William Ernest.
(c) Mrs. Trotter calls an ambulance to take him to the hospital.
(d) Mrs. Trotter calls his son anyway.
7. What difference does Gilly notice between the black Baptists and the white Baptists?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) The black Baptists smiled more.
(c) The black Baptists dressed fancier.
(d) The white Baptists had shorter services.
8. At the beginning of Chapter 9, what is the reason for the argument?
(a) Gilly wants to leave.
(b) Mr. Randolph wants to press charges for the stolen money.
(c) William Ernest wants Gilly to leave.
(d) Mrs. Trotter doesn't want Gilly taken away.
9. How does Gilly react when William Ernest interrupts her visit with her grandmother to tell her he wet himself?
(a) She tells him big boys don't wet the bed.
(b) She is understanding and reassures him it is okay.
(c) She tells him to go back to bed; she'd see to him later.
(d) She gets angry with him.
10. What warning does Mrs. Trotter receive about being a foster mother?
(a) That a foster mother is just a glorified baby-sitter.
(b) Never treat a foster child like your own child because they aren't.
(c) Not to let foster children grow so close that you can't bear to lose them.
(d) That a foster mother shouldn't feel anything for her foster children.
11. Just as Mr. Randolph starts feeling a little better, what happens?
(a) They all get sick.
(b) Mrs. Trotter and William Ernest get sick, too.
(c) William Ernest and Gilly get sick.
(d) Mrs. Trotter gets sick.
12. What is Gilly excited about in her December 17 letter?
(a) She is going to California to see her mother.
(b) Her mother is coming.
(c) Her horses won the Triple Crown.
(d) Christmas is coming.
13. How does Gilly's grandmother first find out about her?
(a) Courtney recently sent her a letter.
(b) Courtney phoned her mother and told her about Gilly.
(c) Her grandmother was looking for her daughter on the Internet and found Gilly instead.
(d) Courtney wrote soon after Gilly was born.
14. What does William Ernest ask when he writes back to Gilly?
(a) If she wants to come to visit.
(b) If he can come for a visit.
(c) If Mrs. Trotter, Mrs. Randolph, and he can come for a visit.
(d) If she won the race Gilly told him her horses were going to enter.
15. What does Mr. Randolph tell Gilly about the countryside where she is going to live?
(a) He says they have lovely sunsets.
(b) He says it is lovely horse country.
(c) He says it's where his son lives.
(d) He says it is a beautiful valley of green.
Short Answer Questions
1. What humorous note does Miss Harris add in her letter to Gilly?
2. In Chapter 13, who makes the belated Thanksgiving dinner?
3. What does Mrs. Randolph give Gilly as a going-away present?
4. What are Sunday mornings to Gilly?
5. What does Gilly have to do about the money she has given to Agnes and can't return to Mrs. Trotter?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)