|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is the ride to Gilly's new home?
(a) It takes just over an hour to drive there.
(b) It takes only a half hour to get there.
(c) It is a six-hour drive.
(d) It is two-hour drive.
2. Near the end of Chapter 11, what does Mrs. Ellis ask Gilly?
(a) Why she changed her mind.
(b) Why she wrote a letter to her grandmother.
(c) Why she wrote the letter to her mother.
(d) Why she tried to run away.
3. What does Gilly discover about William Ernest?
(a) That he could figure things out for himelf.
(b) That he was smarter than he looked.
(c) That if he was laughed at he'd shrink back as though preparing for a blow.
(d) All answers are correct.
4. At the end of Chapt 13, what does Gilly end up doing with the picture of her mother?
(a) She throws it in the trash.
(b) She gives it to her grandmother.
(c) She puts it back under her T-shirts again.
(d) She sticks it under the bed.
5. Why does Gilly pull her mother's picture out from under her T-shirts?
(a) She wants to sleep with it.
(b) She wants to give it to her grandmother.
(c) She wants to see her mother's smiling face.
(d) She feel she doesn't have to hide the picture in a drawer any longer.
6. What brings tears to Mrs. Trotter's eyes?
(a) When William Ernest picks her pocket the way Gilly has taught him.
(b) When Gilly tells her William Ernest needs to learn to take care of himself.
(c) When William Ernest cries because he wants to play hop-scotch.
(d) When William Ernest trips while running.
7. What does Gilly's and her grandmother do in preparation for Courtney's visit?
(a) They have a giant Christmas tree put up and professionally decorated.
(b) They have their three maids clean the house.
(c) All the answers are incorrect.
(d) They go to a hair salon where Gilly gets a rinse and her grandmother gets her hair cut and blown dry.
8. Why does Mr. Randolph ask Gilly to pick out a wild tie for him?
(a) He wants to shock his son into lightening up.
(b) He wants to look funny.
(c) He thinks the tie will flatter him.
(d) He wants to brighten up his day.
9. In Chapter 12, what does Gilly promise William Ernest she would do?
(a) Have him come to her new home for summer vacation.
(b) She doesn't promise anything.
(c) Come visit him.
(d) Write to him.
10. What does Gilly tell William Ernest about school in her December 16 letter?
(a) That she is a little slower than the other students.
(b) That she has tested at a tenth grade level.
(c) That she is expected to graduate in two years.
(d) That she will probably skip to the ninth grade.
11. What doesn't Mrs. Trotter like about Gilly's lessons?
(a) She was afraid he'd trip if he ran too fast.
(b) Gilly teaches him to say "hell."
(c) She thought hop-scotch was for girls.
(d) She doesn't believe in stealing.
12. What does Gilly learn about her mother from her grandmother?
(a) That Courtney was not her real mother.
(b) That Courtney had left home many years ago.
(c) That Courtney was returning to Virginia.
(d) That Courtney was a movie star.
13. What does Gilly teach William Ernest?
(a) How to steal.
(b) How to run really fast.
(c) How to defend himself.
(d) How to play hop-scotch.
14. What happens to Gilly in the middle of her last night with Mrs. Trotter?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She couldn't sleep.
(c) She wets the bed.
(d) She has a nightmare.
15. In Chapter 10, what happens to Gilly when responsibility is thrust upon her?
(a) She and Agnes skip school.
(b) She calls the doctor and asks for a nurse.
(c) She takes two days off from school to help.
(d) She takes care of herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, who cries while they are at the table?
2. What does the man at the ticket booth do after Gilly gives him the money for her ticket?
3. What does Mrs. Randolph give Gilly as a going-away present?
4. What does Mrs. Trotter do to soothe Gilly back to sleep in Chapter 12?
5. What does Gilly note about herself in her reply to Miss Harris?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)