|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gilly tell William Ernest in her December 16 letter to him?
(a) That her horses are going for the Triple Crown.
(b) That her horses lost the race so they can't go to the Kentucky Derby.
(c) That her horses won the race and are now training for the Kentucky Derby.
(d) That her horses won the Kentucky Derby.
2. In Chapter 11, what happens at twelve after nine?
(a) Mrs. Trotter takes time for a break from her cleaning.
(b) Gilly starts to show signs of the flu.
(c) Miss Ellis goes to her desk and finds a note from Gilly's grandmother.
(d) School closes early because of a flu epidemic.
3. What statement does Miss Ellis make when Gilly tells her she remembers her mother?
(a) "God help the children of the flower children."
(b) "Heaven help her, she is a mixed up child."
(c) "God help the children in the foster system."
(d) "Lord, help me with these children who rebel."
4. What does Mrs. Trotter say when she falls on top of Gilly?
(a) That she thinks there's a big lunp on the floor.
(b) She doesn't say anything; she just falls asleep.
(c) She asks Gilly's grandmother if she knows where Gilly is.
(d) That she squished Gilly juicy.
5. How long is the ride to Gilly's new home?
(a) It is two-hour drive.
(b) It takes only a half hour to get there.
(c) It is a six-hour drive.
(d) It takes just over an hour to drive there.
6. In Chapter 11, how does Gilly respond to what she is told she is going to do?
(a) Gilly laughs and asks if they are joking.
(b) Gilly starts to cry.
(c) Gilly says she doesn't want to.
(d) Gilly threatens to run away.
7. What happens when Gilly reminds Mrs. Trotter she once said she'd "never let her go"?
(a) Mrs. Trotter denies ever saying it.
(b) Mrs. Trotter flinches, but remains silent.
(c) Mrs. Trotter breaks down in tears.
(d) Mrs. Trotter tells her she lied when she said it.
8. When William Ernest asks if he can visit Gilly, what does Mrs. Trotter say?
(a) They probably would never go.
(b) They need to give Gilly time to settle in first.
(c) They would go as soon as possible.
(d) She said, "We'll see."
9. At the end of Chapt 13, what does Gilly end up doing with the picture of her mother?
(a) She throws it in the trash.
(b) She puts it back under her T-shirts again.
(c) She sticks it under the bed.
(d) She gives it to her grandmother.
10. What does Miss Ellis ask Gilly when she visits her?
(a) How she's doing lately.
(b) How she got the money she had.
(c) If she wants to stay with Mrs. Trotter.
(d) If she would like to go to reform school.
11. In Chapter 11, what happens when Gilly gets home from school?
(a) Mrs. Trotter tells her she has to move to a new foster home.
(b) Miss Ellis tells her that Courtney wants her to visit her.
(c) Miss Ellis is there to tell her she is going to live with her grandmother permanently.
(d) Mrs. Trotter tells Gilly she must go live with her grandmother.
12. What does Mrs. Trotter threaten everyone if they don't eat?
(a) That she will serve it again for breakfast.
(b) That she will send it to the poor children to eat.
(c) That she'll get up on the table and jump around and make sounds like a chicken.
(d) That she will throw the meal away.
13. How does Gilly react when William Ernest interrupts her visit with her grandmother to tell her he wet himself?
(a) She gets angry with him.
(b) She is understanding and reassures him it is okay.
(c) She tells him to go back to bed; she'd see to him later.
(d) She tells him big boys don't wet the bed.
14. On Gilly's last night, what does Mrs. Trotter finally admit?
(a) That she is really going to miss Gilly.
(b) That she is worried about William Ernest.
(c) That she is happy Gilly is going.
(d) That she is already getting a replacement foster child.
15. What is Gilly excited about in her December 17 letter?
(a) She is going to California to see her mother.
(b) Christmas is coming.
(c) Her mother is coming.
(d) Her horses won the Triple Crown.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gilly note about herself in her reply to Miss Harris?
2. Who is Miss Minnie Applegate?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 9, what is the reason for the argument?
4. In Chapter 10, what happens to Gilly when responsibility is thrust upon her?
5. What does Gilly's and her grandmother do in preparation for Courtney's visit?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)