|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who else does Gilly decide to enlist to help her find more money at Mr. Randolph's house?
(a) Mr. Randolph.
(b) Miss Harris.
(c) William Ernest.
(d) Mrs. Trotter.
2. What is written on the note Agnes gives to Gilly when they walk home from school together?
(a) Agnes wants to be penpals with Gilly.
(b) Agnes wants to know when she could talk.
(c) Agnes wants to invite Gilly to a party.
(d) Agnes wants to tell Gilly a secret.
3. In Chapter 5, what does Gilly decide to do with Agnes Stokes?
(a) Gilly decides to beat her up if she follows her one more time.
(b) Gilly decides to hide from Agnes so she leave Gilly alone.
(c) Gilly decides she may be able to use Agnes one day.
(d) Gilly decides to play a trick on Agnes.
4. What does William Ernest bring to Gilly's room?
(a) A book to read.
(b) A sandwich.
(c) A plate of cookies and milk.
(d) His homework.
5. What does Gilly decide about William Ernest after he learns to fly the plane?
(a) That he is a goofy kid.
(b) That he is going to be easy to use.
(c) That he is a fast learner.
(d) That he is more intelligent than he seems.
6. What does Miss Harris do at 3 o'clock when class was over?
(a) She sits sniffing her flowers, still wearing the funny smile.
(b) She asks Gilly to stay after class for a minute.
(c) She starts crying.
(d) She hurries out of class.
7. Who is William Ernest?
(a) Maime Trotter's own child.
(b) Another foster child under Maime Trotter's care.
(c) Maime Trotter's nephew.
(d) A neighbor who visits the Trotter home often.
8. In chapter 2, what does Gilly think her mother's reaction would be if she found out about Gilly's situation at dinner?
(a) Her mother will come and get her.
(b) Her mother will make Mrs. Trotter toe the line.
(c) Her mother will write to Miss Ellis about it.
(d) Her mother will send for her.
9. Why is Gilly plotting something?
(a) She wants to go see her mother.
(b) She wants to take William Ernest to the zoo.
(c) She wants to go to Las Vegas.
(d) She wants to go to a fair.
10. What does Gilly find when she pulls an encyclopedia from Mr. Randolph's bookshelf?
(a) Two five-dollar bills.
(c) A lot of dust.
(d) Two twenty-dollar bills.
11. What upsets Gilly on the morning before she is to go for her first day of school?
(a) Mrs. Trotter asks her to make the beds.
(b) Mrs. Trotter makes her get her own breakfast.
(c) Gilly doesn't want to start school that day.
(d) Gilly is tired and doesn't want to get up so early for school.
12. What happens when Maime asks Gilly to help make salad for dinner?
(a) Gilly says, "Later."
(b) Gilly just stares at her in distaste.
(c) Gilly says, "No."
(d) Gill ignores her and goes outside to play.
13. What does Miss Harris admit after class?
(a) She doesn't say anything. She just sits sniffing her flowers, wearing her funny smile.
(b) She tells Gilly that they have a lot in common.
(c) She phones for an exterminator during lunch.
(d) She tells the principal she isn't pregnant.
14. In Chapter 4, what does Gilly offer to do with William Ernest after dinner?
(a) Go to the playground.
(b) Go outside and dig up worms for fishing.
(c) Help him with his homework.
(d) Work on William Ernest's reading.
15. What do Gilly and William Ernest find high on the shelf?
(a) A book with money hidden in the pages.
(b) Expensive jewelry.
(c) A roll of paper money.
(d) A bag of coins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gilly perceive to be her first job with William Ernest?
2. After all her work dusting both homes, what does Gilly have to show for it?
3. What does Miss Harris admit doing in the teacher's room at noon?
4. What is disturbing Gilly most about the meal?
5. What does Gilly do by the third week in October?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)