|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What upsets Gilly on the morning before she is to go for her first day of school?
(a) Mrs. Trotter asks her to make the beds.
(b) Gilly is tired and doesn't want to get up so early for school.
(c) Mrs. Trotter makes her get her own breakfast.
(d) Gilly doesn't want to start school that day.
2. Who else does Gilly decide to enlist to help her find more money at Mr. Randolph's house?
(a) Mrs. Trotter.
(b) Mr. Randolph.
(c) William Ernest.
(d) Miss Harris.
3. What kind of class does Gilly's new principal say she should be in?
(a) A class for troubled students.
(b) A class that is for slower students.
(c) A music class.
(d) A class that will challenge her.
4. Before Gilly drops off to sleep her first night with Mrs. Trotter, what does she decide to do?
(a) To find her mother, write to her, and tell her to come get her.
(b) To play a bunch of tricks on Mrs. Trotter.
(c) To mess with William Ernest's head.
(d) To make the best of her new surroundings.
5. What does Miss Harris admit after class?
(a) She doesn't say anything. She just sits sniffing her flowers, wearing her funny smile.
(b) She tells the principal she isn't pregnant.
(c) She phones for an exterminator during lunch.
(d) She tells Gilly that they have a lot in common.
6. What does Gilly do before she starts cleaning Mrs. Trotter's chandelier?
(a) She invites Agnes in to have some cookies.
(b) She sits with Mrs. Trotter and eats some cookies.
(c) She eats some cookies with William Ernest.
(d) She takes some cookies over to Mr. Randolph.
7. What upsets Gilly when she starts reading a poem?
(a) It is written in another language and she thinks they are playing a joke on her.
(b) The poems are all about doom and she doesn't like them.
(c) She doesn't know the words and thinks they are trying to make her look stupid.
(d) It is written in old English, and she thinks they are trying to make a fool of her.
8. How negatively does Miss Harris react in class to the prank?
(a) She doesn't act negatively in class.
(b) She screams.
(c) She has a funny smile on her face all day.
(d) She faints.
9. What does Miss Harris do at 3 o'clock when class was over?
(a) She sits sniffing her flowers, still wearing the funny smile.
(b) She hurries out of class.
(c) She asks Gilly to stay after class for a minute.
(d) She starts crying.
10. Why is Gilly plotting something?
(a) She wants to go to a fair.
(b) She wants to take William Ernest to the zoo.
(c) She wants to go see her mother.
(d) She wants to go to Las Vegas.
11. In Chapter 6, how does Gilly perceive her teacher, Miss Harris?
(a) As a dangerous obstacle to her goals.
(b) As a meek, quiet woman.
(c) As a woman who is well respected.
(d) As a person who is not easily moved to emotion.
12. What does Gilly play on Mrs. Trotter's piano?
(a) Heart and Soul.
(b) Heart and Soul and Chopsticks at the same time.
(d) Beethoven's Fifth Symphony.
13. What does Gilly mean when she says Trotter must think Gilly's "mental"?
(a) That she is "dumb" or "stupid."
(b) That she has ESP.
(c) That she is able to read Mrs. Trotter's mind.
(d) That she is crazy.
14. What is Gilly's prank?
(a) She sends a racist greeting card for Miss Harris.
(b) She puts flowers on Miss Harris's desk with a note, "Love, Your Secret Admirer."
(c) She couldn't find a dead rat, so she put a dead frog in Miss Harris's desk.
(d) She slips a pretend doctor's note saying that Miss Harris into the teacher's lounge.
15. How much total money did Gilly get ?
(a) Forty-four dollars.
(b) Sixty-four dollars.
(c) Twenty-four dollars.
(d) Thirty-four dollars.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose photograph does Gilly have in her suitcase?
2. Who is Gilly Hopkins?
3. How many foster homes has Gilly been in during the last three years?
4. In Chapter 7, what is Gilly's last desperate gesture?
5. What does Gilly tell Mrs. Trotter when she asks about Mr. Randolph?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)