|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book IX, what is the philosopher's deepest pleasure?
2. According to Socrates' radical math, the tyrant's life is 729 times________.
3. Philosophers, according to Socrates' analogy, are which of the following?
4. According to Socrates, what is the best form of government?
5. Socrates believes that a philosopher is best rewarded in death if ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How can tyranny arise in a democratic state?
2. Why is the tyrannical man the most miserable, according to Socrates?
3. Why does Socrates think that aspiring philosophers should be instructed in dialectic only at the end of their educations?
4. What objection does Cebes raise about Socrates view on death?
5. What, does Socrates think, is the best form of government?
6. Why are poets dangerous, according to Socrates?
7. Describe Crito's and Socrates' relationship. Why is this important to the dialogue?
8. How does Socrates defend against Meletus' chargers of impiety?
9. How is the entire Apology an example of Socratic wisdom in practice?
10. Characterize the nature of Socrates' speech in his own defense.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Plato's and Socrates's Republic would be a good place to live. Agree or disagree? Use examples from the text to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
In Phaedo Socrates promotes the idea that philosophy is preparing for dying, and that a true philosopher should not fear death but welcome it. Would Socrates then be able to justify suicide as a good thing? Why or why not? Do you think Socrates commits suicide? Why or Why not?
Essay Topic 3
Is Socrates a tragic hero? If yes, what are his hubrius and harmartia? If no, why not?
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)