|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book IX, how does Socrates describe a tyrant?
2. In Book VII Socrates weaves an analogy suggesting that the common man is like________.
3. According to Socrates, to what does a true philosopher owe his life?
4. When Phaedo first arrives at the prison, what is Socrates doing?
5. What is Socrates' view on the nature of death, particularly his own?
Short Essay Questions
1. What, does Socrates think, is the best form of government?
2. How is the entire Apology an example of Socratic wisdom in practice?
3. Why does Socrates think philosophers make the best rulers?
4. Why can't the common man see the world like the philosopher, according to Socrates?
5. Why is the tyrannical man the most miserable, according to Socrates?
6. Why does Socrates think it acceptable for the state to make philosophers rule if they are unwilling?
7. Why are poets dangerous, according to Socrates?
8. Why does Socrates think that aspiring philosophers should be instructed in dialectic only at the end of their educations?
9. Describe Socrates view of death and its role for the philosopher.
10. If one cannot live like a philosopher, what does Socrates think he should do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the dialogues in The Republic take place between Socrates and Glaucon. Whom do you think Plato supports more? Give evidence for your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
How does Plato, in the Great Dialogues, separate himself from Socrates? To answer this you may note one major difference between Socrates' and Plato's ideas. To what to do you attribute this disagreement? What does this tell you about the relationship between Plato and Socrates?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of the "philosopher king" in The Republic? Do you agree or disagree with Plato's vision of a land ruled by philosophers instead of by politicians? Be sure to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each approach.
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)