|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates' opinion, what is the second happiest social class of man in the world?
2. According to Socrates, to what does a true philosopher owe his life?
3. In Book IX, what is the philosopher's deepest pleasure?
4. In Book IX, what is the common man's deepest pleasure?
5. What challenges does Cebes raise for Socrates?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are poets dangerous, according to Socrates?
2. What objection does Cebes raise about Socrates view on death?
3. Characterize the nature of Socrates' speech in his own defense.
4. Why is democracy dangerous, according to Socrates?
5. What should be done about the poets, according to Socrates in Book X?
6. Which trumps the other, according to Socrates, the laws of Athens or the gods?
7. If one cannot live like a philosopher, what does Socrates think he should do?
8. What, does Socrates think, is the best form of government?
9. Why is the tyrannical man the most miserable, according to Socrates?
10. What is the point of Socrates' discussion of evil and injustice after death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Book V of The Republic, Socrates makes the suggestion that though men and women do not have the same natures, they nevertheless ought to do the same work. How does Socrates make this argument? Do you agree with his conclusion? Provide textual evidence to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the dialogues in The Republic take place between Socrates and Glaucon. Whom do you think Plato supports more? Give evidence for your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Plato's and Socrates's Republic would be a good place to live. Agree or disagree? Use examples from the text to support your opinion.
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)