Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If led by true philosophers, Socrates argues that the republic would__________________.
2. The tyrannical man, according to Socrates, is characterized by___________.
3. According to Socrates, what did the Oracle at Delphi tell Socrates and Cherephon?
4. What assertion is made by Socrates when he responds to Adeimantus' point?
5. According to Socrates' radical math, the tyrant's life is 729 times________.
Essay Topic 1
How does Plato, in the Great Dialogues, separate himself from Socrates? To answer this you may note one major difference between Socrates' and Plato's ideas. To what to do you attribute this disagreement? What does this tell you about the relationship between Plato and Socrates?
Essay Topic 2
The Republic discusses many grandiose themes such as knowledge, friendship, kinship, love, justice, economics, government, and religion at length. Choose a topic, along the same lines, that Plato missed in his dialogues. See if you can argue, based on text you've already read, how Plato or Socrates would weigh in on the issue. You may use current political debates (health care, euthanasia, abortion) as your topic if you desire. You do not need to to this, however.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the dialogues in The Republic take place between Socrates and Glaucon. Whom do you think Plato supports more? Give evidence for your reasoning.
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)