Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If led by true philosophers, Socrates argues that the republic would__________________.
2. The tyrannical man, according to Socrates, is characterized by___________.
3. According to Socrates, what did the Oracle at Delphi tell Socrates and Cherephon?
4. What assertion is made by Socrates when he responds to Adeimantus' point?
5. According to Socrates' radical math, the tyrant's life is 729 times________.
Choose your favorite Sophist and write a paper arguing for his thesis. You may choose "justice is the power of the stronger," or "the unjust life is more rewarding than the just one" or anything else you find in the text. Address the Socratic counter arguments to these claims and rebut them as best you can. Make sure to use textual evidence for your reasoning on both sides of your argument.
How does Plato, in the Great Dialogues, separate himself from Socrates? To answer this you may note one major difference between Socrates' and Plato's ideas. To what to do you attribute this disagreement? What does this tell you about the relationship between Plato and Socrates?
In Book V of The Republic, Socrates makes the suggestion that though men and women do not have the same natures, they nevertheless ought to do the same work. How does Socrates make this argument? Do you agree with his conclusion? Provide textual evidence to support your assertions.
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)