|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Socrates firmly believes that poetry _____________.
2. In his discussion of education, Socrates says that arithmetic, geometry, and physics are worthwhile pursuits for which two groups of people?
3. Who is Cebes?
4. With whom does Socrates discuss the education of soldiers and philosophers?
5. When he first address the jury, Socrates_________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Socrates view of death and its role for the philosopher.
2. Why does Socrates think it acceptable for the state to make philosophers rule if they are unwilling?
3. Why does Socrates think philosophers make the best rulers?
4. Why does Socrates think the Sophists are evil?
5. Characterize the nature of Socrates' speech in his own defense.
6. What is the ultimate goal of the philosopher, as explained by Socrates in Book VI? How does he attain this?
7. How can tyranny arise in a democratic state?
8. Why does Socrates think that the forms of government are like forms in the human soul?
9. What, does Socrates think, is the best form of government?
10. If one cannot live like a philosopher, what does Socrates think he should do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of the "philosopher king" in The Republic? Do you agree or disagree with Plato's vision of a land ruled by philosophers instead of by politicians? Be sure to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each approach.
Essay Topic 2
In Meno, Socrates introduces the idea that learning is really a recollection of past knowledge. Where else in the dialogues or the Republic is this idea addressed? How is it different from Socrates' conception of learning in Meno? What challenges might we pose for Plato's theory of epistemology?
Essay Topic 3
Plato's and Socrates's Republic would be a good place to live. Agree or disagree? Use examples from the text to support your opinion.
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)