|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates' points in Book IV, the soul of a philosopher_____________________.
2. In Book IX, the democratic man is described by Socrates as one who_________.
3. Socrates explains that the common man sees the philosopher as useless because_________.
4. Who said the following: "Whether in battle or in a court of law, or in any other place, he must do what his city and his country order him; or he must change their view of what is just"?
5. Socrates believes that the Sophists________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the point of Socrates' discussion of evil and injustice after death?
2. What should be done about the poets, according to Socrates in Book X?
3. Why does Socrates think that the forms of government are like forms in the human soul?
4. How does Socrates defend against Meletus' chargers of impiety?
5. Why is democracy dangerous, according to Socrates?
6. If one cannot live like a philosopher, what does Socrates think he should do?
7. Why does Socrates think philosophers make the best rulers?
8. What is the ultimate goal of the philosopher, as explained by Socrates in Book VI? How does he attain this?
9. Describe Crito's and Socrates' relationship. Why is this important to the dialogue?
10. Why does Socrates think that the philosopher is always the happiest man in the state?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Socrates a tragic hero? If yes, what are his hubrius and harmartia? If no, why not?
Essay Topic 2
How does Socrates plan for his city's rulers to not be corrupted by power? Do you think his plan is practical?
Essay Topic 3
According to Socrates position in Crito, how is the city the father of its citizen? How are his actions towards his family in Phaedo or his comments about his family in Apology consistent with or inconsistent with this position? Does this complicate the idea of Socrates as a hero?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)