Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If led by true philosophers, Socrates argues that the republic would__________________.
2. The tyrannical man, according to Socrates, is characterized by___________.
3. According to Socrates, what did the Oracle at Delphi tell Socrates and Cherephon?
4. What assertion is made by Socrates when he responds to Adeimantus' point?
5. According to Socrates' radical math, the tyrant's life is 729 times________.
Essay Topic 1
Socrates notes several times in The Republic that the traditional model for a family is not the best way to ensure a society's greatness. He makes several proposals, including a system where children are raised not by their biological parents, but held "in common." Compare and contrast Socrates' republic concerning child-rearing practices with your favorite dystopian novel/film (ex. Brave New World, V for Vendetta, 1984). Is Socrates creating a utopia or a dystopia? Use the ideas of other authors on this subject in conversation with the text.
Essay Topic 2
According to Socrates in Book IV of The Republic, justice is a proper organization of the faculties of the soul such that each part is fulfilling its own proper role and not usurping the functions of others. Do you agree or disagree with this definition? Do you think Socrates equivocates this definition in other dialogues? Give examples either modern or ancient where you can test Socrates view of justice.
Essay Topic 3
Socrates is the focal character in most of Plato's work, and. as a result , it is often difficult for one to tell the two apart. Find a section in one of the dialogues where you think Plato might disagree with Socrates' main point and explain why. Use evidence not only from Socrates' words but the words that other characters use to challenge Socrates.
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)