|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If led by true philosophers, Socrates argues that the republic would__________________.
2. The tyrannical man, according to Socrates, is characterized by___________.
3. According to Socrates, what did the Oracle at Delphi tell Socrates and Cherephon?
4. What assertion is made by Socrates when he responds to Adeimantus' point?
5. According to Socrates' radical math, the tyrant's life is 729 times________.
Essay Topic 1
Socrates notes several times in The Republic that the traditional model for a family is not the best way to ensure a society's greatness. He makes several proposals, including a system where children are raised not by their biological parents, but held "in common." Compare and contrast Socrates' republic concerning child-rearing practices with your favorite dystopian novel/film (ex. Brave New World, V for Vendetta, 1984). Is Socrates creating a utopia or a dystopia? Use the ideas of other authors on this subject in conversation with the text.
Essay Topic 2
In the first book of The Republic, Socrates seems more confused about justice and what it actually means, but by Apology it seems that Socrates has a clearly picture of justice. Compare/contrast these two viewpoints. What has changed in Socrates' mind? What does this say about Plato's philosophy?
Essay Topic 3
In Meno, Socrates introduces the idea that learning is really a recollection of past knowledge. Where else in the dialogues or the Republic is this idea addressed? How is it different from Socrates' conception of learning in Meno? What challenges might we pose for Plato's theory of epistemology?
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)