Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If led by true philosophers, Socrates argues that the republic would__________________.
2. The tyrannical man, according to Socrates, is characterized by___________.
3. According to Socrates, what did the Oracle at Delphi tell Socrates and Cherephon?
4. What assertion is made by Socrates when he responds to Adeimantus' point?
5. According to Socrates' radical math, the tyrant's life is 729 times________.
Essay Topic 1
Is Socrates a tragic hero? If yes, what are his hubrius and harmartia? If no, why not?
Essay Topic 2
How does Plato, in the Great Dialogues, separate himself from Socrates? To answer this you may note one major difference between Socrates' and Plato's ideas. To what to do you attribute this disagreement? What does this tell you about the relationship between Plato and Socrates?
Essay Topic 3
Socrates notes several times in The Republic that the traditional model for a family is not the best way to ensure a society's greatness. He makes several proposals, including a system where children are raised not by their biological parents, but held "in common." Compare and contrast Socrates' republic concerning child-rearing practices with your favorite dystopian novel/film (ex. Brave New World, V for Vendetta, 1984). Is Socrates creating a utopia or a dystopia? Use the ideas of other authors on this subject in conversation with the text.
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)