|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In <i>Book X</i>, Socrates returns to a discussion about _________.
2. In his discussion of education, Socrates says that arithmetic, geometry, and physics are worthwhile pursuits for which two groups of people?
3. Wise souls, Socrates asserts, will always choose paths of_________.
4. According to Socrates, to what does a true philosopher owe his life?
5. Socrates firmly believes that poets ______________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of the "philosopher king" in The Republic? Do you agree or disagree with Plato's vision of a land ruled by philosophers instead of by politicians? Be sure to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each approach.
Essay Topic 2
In Meno, Socrates introduces the idea that learning is really a recollection of past knowledge. Where else in the dialogues or the Republic is this idea addressed? How is it different from Socrates' conception of learning in Meno? What challenges might we pose for Plato's theory of epistemology?
Essay Topic 3
Is the city that Socrates builds in the The Republic actually feasible? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to justify your answer.
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)