|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Crito's relationship to Socrates?
2. According to Socrates' opinion, what is the second happiest social class of man in the world?
3. In Socrates' cross-examination of Meletus, how does he make Meletus contradict himself?
4. According to Socrates' opinion, what is the third happiest social class of man in the world?
5. Socrates firmly believes that poets ______________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of the "philosopher king" in The Republic? Do you agree or disagree with Plato's vision of a land ruled by philosophers instead of by politicians? Be sure to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each approach.
Essay Topic 2
Choose your favorite Sophist and write a paper arguing for his thesis. You may choose "justice is the power of the stronger," or "the unjust life is more rewarding than the just one" or anything else you find in the text. Address the Socratic counter arguments to these claims and rebut them as best you can. Make sure to use textual evidence for your reasoning on both sides of your argument.
Essay Topic 3
According to Socrates in Book IV of The Republic, justice is a proper organization of the faculties of the soul such that each part is fulfilling its own proper role and not usurping the functions of others. Do you agree or disagree with this definition? Do you think Socrates equivocates this definition in other dialogues? Give examples either modern or ancient where you can test Socrates view of justice.
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)