|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Socrates regard an oligarchy?
2. Who is Cebes?
3. With whom does Socrates discuss the education of soldiers and philosophers?
4. According to Socrates' opinion, what is the third happiest social class of man in the world?
5. How does Socrates regard a timocracy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can tyranny arise in a democratic state?
2. Why does Socrates think philosophers make the best rulers?
3. Why is the tyrannical man the most miserable, according to Socrates?
4. What happens to the soul after it is dead, according to Socrates?
5. Why does Socrates think the Sophists are evil?
6. How does Socrates argue that it is unlawful to break out of prison?
7. If one cannot live like a philosopher, what does Socrates think he should do?
8. Describe Crito's and Socrates' relationship. Why is this important to the dialogue?
9. What is the ultimate goal of the philosopher, as explained by Socrates in Book VI? How does he attain this?
10. Why is democracy dangerous, according to Socrates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Book V of The Republic, Socrates makes the suggestion that though men and women do not have the same natures, they nevertheless ought to do the same work. How does Socrates make this argument? Do you agree with his conclusion? Provide textual evidence to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 2
How does Plato, in the Great Dialogues, separate himself from Socrates? To answer this you may note one major difference between Socrates' and Plato's ideas. To what to do you attribute this disagreement? What does this tell you about the relationship between Plato and Socrates?
Essay Topic 3
Plato's and Socrates's Republic would be a good place to live. Agree or disagree? Use examples from the text to support your opinion.
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)