|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Socrates is primarily charged with________________.
2. In his discussion of education, Socrates says that arithmetic, geometry, and physics are worthwhile pursuits for which two groups of people?
3. How does Socrates regard an oligarchy?
4. In Book X, Socrates returns to a discussion about _________.
5. Philosophers, according to Socrates' analogy, are which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. If one cannot live like a philosopher, what does Socrates think he should do?
2. How does Socrates defend against Meletus' chargers of impiety?
3. Why does Socrates think philosophers make the best rulers?
4. What objection does Cebes raise about Socrates view on death?
5. What happens to the soul after it is dead, according to Socrates?
6. Why is democracy dangerous, according to Socrates?
7. How does Socrates argue that it is unlawful to break out of prison?
8. Why does Socrates think the Sophists are evil?
9. Why is the tyrannical man the most miserable, according to Socrates?
10. Why does Socrates think that the forms of government are like forms in the human soul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the first book of The Republic, Socrates seems more confused about justice and what it actually means, but by Apology it seems that Socrates has a clearly picture of justice. Compare/contrast these two viewpoints. What has changed in Socrates' mind? What does this say about Plato's philosophy?
Essay Topic 2
Is the city that Socrates builds in the The Republic actually feasible? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to justify your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does Plato, in the Great Dialogues, separate himself from Socrates? To answer this you may note one major difference between Socrates' and Plato's ideas. To what to do you attribute this disagreement? What does this tell you about the relationship between Plato and Socrates?
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)