|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates, how should a good philosopher rule?
2. Who is Cebes?
3. What is Socrates' view on the nature of death, particularly his own?
4. According to Socrates, what would be one way for philosopher-rule to commence?
5. The tyrannical man, according to Socrates, is characterized by___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the tyrannical man the most miserable, according to Socrates?
2. Why does Socrates think that the philosopher is always the happiest man in the state?
3. Describe Crito's and Socrates' relationship. Why is this important to the dialogue?
4. Why are poets dangerous, according to Socrates?
5. Characterize the nature of Socrates' speech in his own defense.
6. Why does Socrates think that aspiring philosophers should be instructed in dialectic only at the end of their educations?
7. What are the five tell-tale traits of an aspiring philosopher, according to Socrates?
8. How does Socrates defend against Meletus' chargers of impiety?
9. What does the cave metaphor mean?
10. How does Socrates argue that it is unlawful to break out of prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Socrates "learning as a recollection of old knowledge" thesis in Meno help prove his argument for the immortal soul in Phaedo? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Is Socrates a tragic hero? If yes, what are his hubrius and harmartia? If no, why not?
Essay Topic 3
In Phaedo Socrates promotes the idea that philosophy is preparing for dying, and that a true philosopher should not fear death but welcome it. Would Socrates then be able to justify suicide as a good thing? Why or why not? Do you think Socrates commits suicide? Why or Why not?
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)