|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To illustrate one facet of his argument, Socrates employs the help of which character?
2. Ultimately, Socrates concludes that justice is______________.
3. According to Socrates, the goal of his ideal city is__________________.
4. According to Socrates, woman can____________.
5. Before Socrates delivers his speech, he cross- examines Agathon about which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is justice, according to Socrates?
2. What is an art, according to Socrates?
3. What is the purpose of Aristophanes' myth about men and women once being unified and then split apart? How does he end his story?
4. How does Socrates convince his interlocutors that a woman can do any job that a man can?
5. Why is Meno's definition of virtue unsatisfactory for Socrates?
6. Whom does Socrates think is to be chosen to rule the city and why?
7. Why does Socrates want to censor literature in his republic?
8. Does Socrates believe that his theoretical republic is a realistic political plan for a city?
9. Does Thrasymachus like Socrates? Why or why not?
10. Whom does Adeimantus support? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the city that Socrates builds in the The Republic actually feasible? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to justify your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the dialogues in The Republic take place between Socrates and Glaucon. Whom do you think Plato supports more? Give evidence for your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
How does Socrates plan for his city's rulers to not be corrupted by power? Do you think his plan is practical?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)