|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates assert about his views of the ideal state?
2. According to Socrates, woman can____________.
3. Toward the end of Book IV Socrates weaves an analogy between________________.
4. Describe Meno's appearance and attitude when he meets Socrates.
5. Though Glaucon is primarily concerned about justice within the individual, Socrates first begins by analyzing __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the story of the Symposium framed? How does this relate to the cultural values of the Greeks?
2. What does Glaucon argue for?
3. What is the purpose of Aristophanes' myth about men and women once being unified and then split apart? How does he end his story?
4. Does Thrasymachus like Socrates? Why or why not?
5. Where, according to Socrates, does virtue reside? How does virtue relate to the dichotomy of opinion and knowledge?
6. What is the purpose of Alcibiades late-night intrusion into the Symposium? What does he talk about?
7. What does Diotima teach Socrates about love? How does this compare to Aristophanes' view?
8. Why aren't the soldiers in Socrates' republic well compensated?
9. What is the crucial difference, according to Socrates, between the common man and the philosopher?
10. Does Socrates believe that his theoretical republic is a realistic political plan for a city?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the city that Socrates builds in the The Republic actually feasible? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to justify your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Plato's and Socrates's Republic would be a good place to live. Agree or disagree? Use examples from the text to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Is Socrates a tragic hero? If yes, what are his hubrius and harmartia? If no, why not?
This section contains 1,259 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)