|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he first meets Socrates, Meno asks the following question:
2. According to Socrates' insinuation, artistic knowledge is characterized as which of the following?
3. Socrates claims that he learned about love from which of the following?
4. In <i>Book V</i>, what is the philosopher concerned with, according to Socrates?
5. Why is Socrates worried about literature which contains wayward characters?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the entire <i>Apology</i> an example of Socratic wisdom in practice?
2. Why does Socrates think that the philosopher is always the happiest man in the state?
3. Why aren't the soldiers in Socrates' republic well compensated?
4. Does Socrates believe that his theoretical republic is a realistic political plan for a city?
5. How does Socrates use metaphors to explain Ion's inspiration? How does this relate to the practice of art or philosophy?
6. What is the crucial difference, according to Socrates, between the common man and the philosopher?
7. Whom does Adeimantus support? Why?
8. What, does Socrates think, is the best form of government?
9. What should be done about the poets, according to Socrates in <i>Book X</i>?
10. What is the ultimate goal of the philosopher, as explained by Socrates in <i>Book VI</i>? How does he attain this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Phaedo Socrates promotes the idea that philosophy is preparing for dying, and that a true philosopher should not fear death but welcome it. Would Socrates then be able to justify suicide as a good thing? Why or why not? Do you think Socrates commits suicide? Why or Why not?
Essay Topic 2
In Book V of The Republic, Socrates makes the suggestion that though men and women do not have the same natures, they nevertheless ought to do the same work. How does Socrates make this argument? Do you agree with his conclusion? Provide textual evidence to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 3
According to Socrates position in Crito, how is the city the father of its citizen? How are his actions towards his family in Phaedo or his comments about his family in Apology consistent with or inconsistent with this position? Does this complicate the idea of Socrates as a hero?
This section contains 1,924 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)