|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the soldiers of the republic explicitly forbidden to do, according to Socrates?
2. How does Meno respond to Socrates' question: "Do bees differ as bees, because there are many different kinds of them; or, are they not rather to be distinguished by some other quality, as for example beauty, size, or shape?"
3. In Ion, Socrates compares Ion to which of the following?
4. Socrates claims that he learned about love from which of the following?
5. Who are the rulers in Socrates' republic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Glaucon argue for?
2. How should soldiers, according to Socrates, be trained in the ideal republic?
3. How does Socrates plan to prevent the rulers from becoming tyrants?
4. What is Socrates' plan for the familial arrangement of the republic?
5. Why does Socrates want to censor literature in his republic?
6. What does Diotima teach Socrates about love? How does this compare to Aristophanes' view?
7. How is the story of the Symposium framed? How does this relate to the cultural values of the Greeks?
8. How does Socrates use metaphors to explain Ion's inspiration? How does this relate to the practice of art or philosophy?
9. Whom does Adeimantus support? Why?
10. Why is Meno's definition of virtue unsatisfactory for Socrates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Socrates is the focal character in most of Plato's work, and. as a result , it is often difficult for one to tell the two apart. Find a section in one of the dialogues where you think Plato might disagree with Socrates' main point and explain why. Use evidence not only from Socrates' words but the words that other characters use to challenge Socrates.
Essay Topic 2
In Phaedo Socrates promotes the idea that philosophy is preparing for dying, and that a true philosopher should not fear death but welcome it. Would Socrates then be able to justify suicide as a good thing? Why or why not? Do you think Socrates commits suicide? Why or Why not?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the dialogues in The Republic take place between Socrates and Glaucon. Whom do you think Plato supports more? Give evidence for your reasoning.
This section contains 1,293 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)