|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Socrates' republic would have a ruling _________.
2. What challenges does Cebes raise for Socrates?
(a) There is legal precedent for breaking out of jail.
(b) Socrates can still appeal the verdict.
(c) Philosophy is not a worthwhile activity if it lands one in jail under capital punishment.
(d) There might be no immortal soul, and when you die, there is only nothingness.
3. Socrates firmly believes that poets ______________.
(a) Are correct about the afterlife.
(b) Should be banished from his city.
(c) Should be allowed to recite in the streets.
(d) Know exactly of what they are speaking.
4. What does Socrates think his dream means?
(a) The kingdom of man is not so different from the animal kingdom.
(b) Socrates will go to heaven after he dies.
(c) A foreshadowed vision of Crito coming to visit him.
(d) The boat which was supposed to arrive the same day, would not arrive until tomorrow, thereby delaying his execution.
5. In Book IX, what is the philosopher's deepest pleasure?
(c) Material gain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Cebes?
2. Socrates believes that the Sophists________________.
3. Where does Crito take place?
4. Socrates believes that the "just man" is _____________.
5. What is an oligarchy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the tyrannical man the most miserable, according to Socrates?
2. Why does Socrates think the Sophists are evil?
3. Why does Socrates think that the philosopher is always the happiest man in the state?
4. What is the point of Socrates' discussion of evil and injustice after death?
5. Describe Socrates view of death and its role for the philosopher.
6. What happens to the soul after it is dead, according to Socrates?
7. Why does Socrates think it acceptable for the state to make philosophers rule if they are unwilling?
8. Why is democracy dangerous, according to Socrates?
9. How is the entire Apology an example of Socratic wisdom in practice?
10. Why does Socrates think philosophers make the best rulers?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)