|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Socrates believes that a philosopher is best rewarded in death if ________.
(a) He is brought back to life.
(b) His soul is laid to rest, while his body continues to survive.
(c) He becomes a god.
(d) His soul continues to survive, while his body is laid to rest.
2. In the then-present Greece, Socrates believes that __________.
(a) There are very few true philosophers.
(b) Sophists fill the role of philosophers.
(c) There are very many true philosophers.
(d) The rise of a philosopher-king, though desirable, is an impossible scenario.
3. According to Socrates, what did the Oracle at Delphi tell Socrates and Cherephon?
(a) Socrates would be executed if he returned to Athens.
(b) Socrates was the wisest man alive.
(c) The Thirty Tyrants would bring times of war followed by prosperity.
(d) The Oracle would not speak to Socrates and Cherephon.
4. What is an oligarchy?
(a) Rule by the poor.
(b) Rule by the elite.
(c) Rule by the rich.
(d) Rule by the military.
5. What does Crito want Socrates to do?
(a) Appeal the conviction entered against Socrates.
(b) Drink hemlock.
(c) Break out of prison and leave Athens.
(d) Stop corrupting his son and the other young people in Greece.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which subject should be taught last in Socrates' curriculum?
2. Socrates firmly believes that poetry _____________.
3. The Athenian jury finds Socrates_________.
4. Socrates believes that unjust men_________.
5. According to Socrates, how should a good philosopher rule?
Short Essay Questions
1. What objection does Cebes raise about Socrates view on death?
2. Describe Crito's and Socrates' relationship. Why is this important to the dialogue?
3. What is the point of Socrates' discussion of evil and injustice after death?
4. Why does Socrates think philosophers make the best rulers?
5. If one cannot live like a philosopher, what does Socrates think he should do?
6. Why does Socrates think that the forms of government are like forms in the human soul?
7. What does the cave metaphor mean?
8. Describe Socrates view of death and its role for the philosopher.
9. How is the entire Apology an example of Socratic wisdom in practice?
10. Why does Socrates think that the philosopher is always the happiest man in the state?
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)