|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In <i>Book IX</i>, what is the philosopher's deepest pleasure?
(a) Material gain.
2. Which one of the following scenarios, according to Socrates, would most likely give rise to a tyrannical government?
(a) A man, claiming to save the poor from the rich in a democracy, rising to power and being immediately corrupted by it.
(b) A military lieutenant from within the general's ranks making a grab for power to control the timocracy.
(c) A merchant purchasing secret information about the government and using it to blackmail congress.
(d) A hero completing a mythical quest which bestows immortality upon him.
3. Wise souls, Socrates asserts, will always choose paths of_________.
4. In <i>Book X</i>, Socrates returns to a discussion about _________.
(a) Social affairs.
(b) Military Strategy.
5. According to Socrates' radical math, the tyrant's life is 729 times________.
(a) More worthy than an elected leader's life.
(b) Less exciting than the soldier's life.
(c) More laudable than the common man's life.
(d) Less pleasant than the philosopher's life.
Short Answer Questions
1. In <i>Book VII</i> Socrates weaves an analogy suggesting that the common man is like________.
2. When Phaedo first arrives at the prison, what is Socrates doing?
3. Philosophers, according to Socrates' analogy, are which of the following?
4. Socrates believes that unjust men_________.
5. What challenges does Cebes raise for Socrates?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)