|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following ideas are not mentioned in Book VI?
(a) Learning is a process of recalling past knowledge.
(b) Philosophers can do good and evil.
(c) The intellectual life of the philosopher is very rigorous.
(d) Hypotheses are helpful, but only when you cannot apprehend an idea without an example.
2. According to Socrates' opinion, what does the common man's simple mind cause him to mistake?
(a) Reason for illogic.
(b) Emotions for arguments.
(c) Examples for definitions.
(d) A ceasing of pain for pleasure.
3. In Socrates' cross-examination of Meletus, how does he make Meletus contradict himself?
(a) By showing that Meletus asserts that Socrates both believes in the gods and doesn't believe in them.
(b) By asking Meletus about his family.
(c) By proving Meletus to be incapable of answering questions.
(d) Socrates does not make Meletus contradict himself.
4. Socrates concludes Book X with a theory of _______________.
(a) Metaphysical phenomenology.
(b) Revolution for the government.
(c) Reverse psychology.
(d) Reincarnation of souls.
5. With whom does Socrates discuss the education of soldiers and philosophers?
Short Answer Questions
1. Socrates believes that unjust men_________.
2. What challenges does Cebes raise for Socrates?
3. The tyrannical man, according to Socrates, is characterized by___________.
4. How does Socrates regard a timocracy?
5. Who is Cebes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the cave metaphor mean?
2. Why does Socrates say in Book VII that "philosophers don't want to rule"?
3. How does Socrates defend against Meletus' chargers of impiety?
4. What is the point of Socrates' discussion of evil and injustice after death?
5. What are the five tell-tale traits of an aspiring philosopher, according to Socrates?
6. Why does Socrates think the Sophists are evil?
7. Why are poets dangerous, according to Socrates?
8. Why does Socrates think philosophers make the best rulers?
9. What should be done about the poets, according to Socrates in Book X?
10. Why does Socrates think that the forms of government are like forms in the human soul?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)