|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the reasons that Crito offers for coming to visit Socrates?
(a) Socrates asked Crito to come.
(b) If Crito didn't come to try to rescue Socrates, it would reflect poorly on himself and Socrates' supporters.
(c) Crito wants to find out what to do with Socrates' sons.
(d) Crito misses Socrates.
2. What does Crito want Socrates to do?
(a) Drink hemlock.
(b) Stop corrupting his son and the other young people in Greece.
(c) Appeal the conviction entered against Socrates.
(d) Break out of prison and leave Athens.
3. Adeimantus interrupts Socrates in the beginning of <i>Book VI</i> to ask him ____________.
(a) Why he wants philosophers to rule the city.
(b) Why philosophers are either useless or evil.
(c) When students get to become full-fledged philosophers.
(d) Whether philosophy is an activity or a profession.
4. Who said the following: "Whether in battle or in a court of law, or in any other place, he must do what his city and his country order him; or he must change their view of what is just"?
(a) Socrates' son.
(b) Phaedo's assistant.
(c) A prison guard.
(d) One of Socrates' students.
5. According to Socrates, how should a good philosopher rule?
(a) Not associate with politics.
(b) Never rule because absolute power corrupts absolutely.
(c) Rule, but unwillingly so.
(d) Rule, but willingly so.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates, what is the best form of government?
2. According to Socrates, what did the Oracle at Delphi tell Socrates and Cherephon?
3. According to Socrates in <i>Book VII</i>, to what should all philosophers aspire?
4. Socrates metaphorically refers to himself as __________,
5. Where does <i>Crito</i> take place?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)