|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As a consequence of misology, or a hatred of logic/reasoning, Socrates explains how the common man has trouble_________.
(a) Speaking literally.
(b) Serving his state.
(c) Apprehending simple concepts.
(d) Apprehending absolute truths.
2. Socrates is primarily charged with________________.
(a) Forsaking the laws and disobeying his superiors.
(b) Failing to appear in court previously.
(c) Making the weaker arguments the stronger, corrupting the youth, and impiety.
(d) Violent public speech acts.
3. According to Socrates' opinion, what does the common man's simple mind cause him to mistake?
(a) Reason for illogic.
(b) A ceasing of pain for pleasure.
(c) Examples for definitions.
(d) Emotions for arguments.
4. Why is Phaedo important?
(a) Because he was present at Socrates execution and spoke with Socrates before he died.
(b) Because he personally executed Socrates.
(c) Because Socrates willed Phaedo everything that Socrates owned.
(d) Because he tried to break Socrates out of prison.
5. With whom does Socrates discuss the education of soldiers and philosophers?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an aristocracy?
2. Socrates believes that a philosopher is best rewarded in death if ________.
3. Socrates explains that the common man sees the philosopher as useless because_________.
4. In Socrates' cross-examination of Meletus, how does he make Meletus contradict himself?
5. What does Crito want Socrates to do?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)