|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If led by true philosophers, Socrates argues that the republic would__________________.
(a) Deal justly with foreigners.
(b) Be the most powerful state in the world.
(c) Reflect the same perfect justice, beauty, and goodness of its leaders.
(d) Not negotiate with other nations.
2. The tyrannical man, according to Socrates, is characterized by___________.
(a) Spending money frivolously.
(b) A quickness to express wayward thoughts.
(c) Extreme paranoia.
(d) A lack of temperance or restraint in any of his desires.
3. According to Socrates, what did the Oracle at Delphi tell Socrates and Cherephon?
(a) Socrates was the wisest man alive.
(b) Socrates would be executed if he returned to Athens.
(c) The Thirty Tyrants would bring times of war followed by prosperity.
(d) The Oracle would not speak to Socrates and Cherephon.
4. What assertion is made by Socrates when he responds to Adeimantus' point?
(a) Students become philosophers when they stop asking such questions.
(b) True philosophers are more concerned with absolute truth to the opinion of the masses, and only Sophists are evil.
(c) Philosophers make the best rulers.
(d) Philosophy is neither an activity nor a profession, but a calling.
5. According to Socrates' radical math, the tyrant's life is 729 times________.
(a) More worthy than an elected leader's life.
(b) Less exciting than the soldier's life.
(c) More laudable than the common man's life.
(d) Less pleasant than the philosopher's life.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his discussion of education, Socrates says that arithmetic, geometry, and physics are worthwhile pursuits for which two groups of people?
2. Socrates firmly believes that poets ______________.
3. According to Socrates' opinion, what does the common man's simple mind cause him to mistake?
4. How does Socrates regard a timocracy?
5. According to Socrates, to what does a true philosopher owe his life?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)