|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is wisdom found in Socrates' ideal republic?
(a) In the slaves who labor in it.
(b) In the moral law.
(c) In Socrates, and others like him.
(d) In those who rule and order it.
2. Before Socrates delivers his speech, he cross- examines Agathon about which of the following?
(a) Agathon's poetic license.
(b) How one can know that he is truly in love.
(c) Whether love is necessarily beautiful.
(d) Whether loves is necessarily possible.
3. Toward the end of Book IV Socrates weaves an analogy between________________.
(a) Heaven and hell.
(b) Father and son.
(c) The citizen and the king.
(d) The individual and the city.
4. According to Socrates' insinuation, artistic knowledge is characterized as which of the following?
5. Who is the character who narrates Symposium?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Socrates defend the point that men and women are equal?
2. To understand Ion's poetically inspired spirit, Socrates employs a metaphor of which of the following?
3. To which other creative art does Socrates propose censorship?
4. What are the three social classes in the republic, according to Socrates?
5. In Book V, what is the philosopher concerned with, according to Socrates?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is justice, according to Socrates?
2. What is Socrates' plan for the familial arrangement of the republic?
3. What is Socrates' view on poets and soothsayers?
4. Where, according to Socrates, does virtue reside? How does virtue relate to the dichotomy of opinion and knowledge?
5. How should soldiers, according to Socrates, be trained in the ideal republic?
6. Is The Republic only interested in individual justice?
7. What is the purpose of Alcibiades late-night intrusion into the Symposium? What does he talk about?
8. How does Socrates convince his interlocutors that a woman can do any job that a man can?
9. What is an art, according to Socrates?
10. What is Socrates ultimate conclusion about the function of justice?
This section contains 1,238 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)