|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives the first speech at the symposium?
2. Describe Thrasymachus' view of Socrates.
(a) He can't follow Socrates' logic.
(b) He chastizes Socrates for asking questions freely, but dodging them when he is asked a question himself.
(c) He hates Socrates and thinks Socrates is stupid.
(d) He likes the Socratic method of reasoning.
3. At whose house does the Symposium take place?
4. When Socrates meets Ion, Ion has just returned from which of the following?
(a) Agathon's drinking party.
(b) A poetry recital contest in Epidarus.
(c) A game at the Coliseum.
(d) Socrates' trial.
5. According to Socrates, what happens when "one [is] mistaken in his judgment, and harms his friends, and helps his enemies, unknowingly"?
(a) It doesn't matter; one would never do this.
(b) He is unjust.
(c) He claims to know justice, but doesn't.
(d) He is just.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Socrates rebut the definition of virtue offered by the poets?
2. Whose side is Adeimantus on, at least in the beginning of the dialogue?
3. In Socrates' republic, judges must__________.
4. Before Socrates delivers his speech, he cross- examines Agathon about which of the following?
5. How does Dimotia characterize love?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an art, according to Socrates?
2. How does Socrates use metaphors to explain Ion's inspiration? How does this relate to the practice of art or philosophy?
3. What is justice, according to Socrates?
4. How does Socrates convince his interlocutors that a woman can do any job that a man can?
5. How does Socrates distinguish knowledge known through art from knowledge known through inspiration?
6. What would happen, according to Socrates, if a cobbler exercised the role of a leader?
7. Why aren't the soldiers in Socrates' republic well compensated?
8. What is Socrates ultimate conclusion about the function of justice?
9. What is the best way, according to Socrates, that people not be given false impressions about the gods?
10. Whom does Socrates think is to be chosen to rule the city and why?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)