|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the rulers in Socrates' republic?
(a) The doctors.
(b) The philosophers.
(c) The warriors.
(d) The students.
2. What poet is cited by Cephalus to explain the paradox of old age?
3. Who said the following: "may not the art of which neither teachers nor disciples exist be assumed to be incapable of being taught?"
(a) Meno's wife.
(c) The slave boy.
4. From which poet does Polemarchus derive his definition of justice?
5. According to Socrates' insinuation, artistic knowledge is characterized as which of the following?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cephalus say to Socrates about old age?
2. Which of the following does Socrates reason about Ion?
3. In the dialogue, Meno blames the confusion in his speech on which of the following?
4. How does Socrates plan to keep the soldiers of the republic from fighting?
5. Who is Socrates walking with when he is stopped by a group of men urging him to come to Cephalus' house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is The Republic only interested in individual justice?
2. Why aren't the soldiers in Socrates' republic well compensated?
3. What is Socrates' view on poets and soothsayers?
4. How should soldiers, according to Socrates, be trained in the ideal republic?
5. What would happen, according to Socrates, if a cobbler exercised the role of a leader?
6. Whom does Adeimantus support? Why?
7. Explain the irony of the following statement as it relates to Ion: "Plato is the supreme enemy of art and is also the supreme artist."
8. What is Socrates ultimate conclusion about the function of justice?
9. What is Socrates' plan for the familial arrangement of the republic?
10. What is Polemarchus main mistake in defining justice as "benefiting one's friends and harming one's enemies"?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)