|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Philosophers, according to Socrates' analogy, are which of the following?
(a) The parasite sitting in the beast's stomach, making it hungry.
(b) The farmers who cut the chickens' heads off.
(c) Wind making the willows flap.
(d) Men freed from the cave, seeing the shadow puppets for what they are.
2. Socrates believes that the Sophists________________.
(a) Are evil imitators posing as philosophers.
(b) Should be exiled on grounds of impiety.
(c) Are philosophers themselves.
(d) Have values worth learning from.
3. The evil of the soul, explained in <i>Book X</i> by Socrates, is ___________.
4. According to Socrates' radical math, the tyrant's life is 729 times________.
(a) More laudable than the common man's life.
(b) More worthy than an elected leader's life.
(c) Less pleasant than the philosopher's life.
(d) Less exciting than the soldier's life.
5. Socrates firmly believes that poetry _____________.
(a) Is instrumental in helping the common man understand larger issues.
(b) Must be philosophy to be considered poetry.
(c) Is philosophy of the heart.
(d) Tends to prevent men from leading good lives.
6. After the verdict, Socrates warns the Athenian jury that________.
(a) If they do not convict him, the public will think them weak.
(b) They are acting unjustly by carrying out the entire trial in one day.
(c) If they execute him, they will only be hurting themselves, as his role will be impossible to replace.
(d) If they exile him, he will spread slander about the Athenian justice system
7. "A good man [who is] grieving," says Socrates," will attempt to moderate his grief through _________."
8. What is timocracy?
(a) Rule by the poor.
(b) Rule by the military.
(c) Rule by the elite.
(d) Rule by the rich.
9. How does Socrates regard a timocracy?
(a) Socrates thinks that timocracy is the worst form of government.
(b) Socrates claims that honor and passion of a military leader, while not unjust, are imperfect qualities that you don't want in a leader.
(c) Socrates wonders about the possibility of military rule.
(d) Socrates thinks that timocracy is the best form of government in all cases.
10. In <i>Apology</i>, Socrates defends himself specifically from accusations made by___________.
(c) The Sophists and the Arians.
(d) Evenus of Paros.
11. Which of the following ideas are not mentioned in <i>Book VI</i>?
(a) Learning is a process of recalling past knowledge.
(b) The intellectual life of the philosopher is very rigorous.
(c) Philosophers can do good and evil.
(d) Hypotheses are helpful, but only when you cannot apprehend an idea without an example.
12. Socrates concludes <i>Book X</i> with a theory of _______________.
(a) Reincarnation of souls.
(b) Metaphysical phenomenology.
(c) Reverse psychology.
(d) Revolution for the government.
13. According to Socrates in <i>Book VII</i>, to what should all philosophers aspire?
(a) To know what's true for oneself.
(b) To know absolute truths in-and-of-themselves.
(c) To always disagree with each other.
(d) To make their argument the strongest argument.
14. One theme that is present in <i>Book X</i>, and in other dialogues is______________.
(a) The myth of reincarnation.
(b) Learning as recalled knowledge.
(c) Platonic forms manifest on earth.
(d) The immortality of the soul.
15. According to Socrates' opinion, what is the second happiest social class of man in the world?
(a) The democratic man.
(b) The merchant.
(c) The timocratic man.
(d) The tyrant.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he first address the jury, Socrates_________.
2. Why would candidates for a philosopher-king class in the republic be tested?
3. How does Socrates regard an oligarchy?
4. According to Socrates, what did the Oracle at Delphi tell Socrates and Cherephon?
5. What does Crito want Socrates to do?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)