|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The evil of the soul, explained in <i>Book X</i> by Socrates, is ___________.
2. Which subject should be taught last in Socrates' curriculum?
(b) Dialectic (the study of reasoning).
(c) Ontology (study of being).
3. Who said the following: "Whether in battle or in a court of law, or in any other place, he must do what his city and his country order him; or he must change their view of what is just"?
(a) Phaedo's assistant.
(b) One of Socrates' students.
(c) Socrates' son.
(d) A prison guard.
4. Socrates metaphorically refers to himself as __________,
(a) A growing pain in the body.
(b) The gadfly of the state.
(c) The bosom of the cow.
(d) A catalyst for a shift in power.
5. According to Socrates' opinion, what is the third happiest social class of man in the world?
(a) The tyrant.
(b) The philosophy student.
(c) The atheistic man.
(d) The democratic man.
6. In <i>Book IX</i>, how does Socrates describe a tyrant?
(a) Elated at his sheer power.
(b) Miserable, living in constant fear.
(c) Confused and worried about the wrong things.
(d) Tired because he works long hours.
7. Socrates explains that the common man sees the philosopher as useless because_________.
(a) He mistakes thoughfulness for idleness.
(b) He is concerned with the soul, not with books.
(c) He is self-serving, and, therefore, despises those who judge him.
(d) He is blinded by ignorance, not seeing the intrinsic importance to their purpose.
8. In Socrates' cross-examination of Meletus, how does he make Meletus contradict himself?
(a) Socrates does not make Meletus contradict himself.
(b) By asking Meletus about his family.
(c) By showing that Meletus asserts that Socrates both believes in the gods and doesn't believe in them.
(d) By proving Meletus to be incapable of answering questions.
9. Why is Phaedo important?
(a) Because he tried to break Socrates out of prison.
(b) Because Socrates willed Phaedo everything that Socrates owned.
(c) Because he personally executed Socrates.
(d) Because he was present at Socrates execution and spoke with Socrates before he died.
10. How does Crito plan to aid Socrates?
(a) Formally appeal Socrates' case to a superior court.
(b) By using his wealth and influence, Crito plans to get Socrates out of prison.
(c) Crito doesn't want to help Socrates.
(d) Crito wants to secretly bring Socrates food.
11. According to Socrates, what would be one way for philosopher-rule to commence?
(a) Assassination of the present emperor.
(b) If a philosopher's soul was born to the son of a king destined to inherit his father's position.
(c) To convince the people through reasoning that philosophers make better leaders.
(d) If a philosopher raised an army and instigated a revolution.
12. What is Crito's relationship to Socrates?
(a) Crito is a jail guard.
(b) Crito is a wealthy disciple of Socrates.
(c) Crito is Socrates' cousin
(d) Crito is a Sophist, one of Socrates' enemies.
13. According to Socrates' points in <i>Book IV</i>, the soul of a philosopher_____________________.
(a) Is easily persuadable.
(b) Does not concern Socrates.
(c) Can be used for good and evil alike.
(d) Is better than the soul of a common man.
14. According to Socrates, how should a good philosopher rule?
(a) Rule, but unwillingly so.
(b) Never rule because absolute power corrupts absolutely.
(c) Not associate with politics.
(d) Rule, but willingly so.
15. The Athenian jury finds Socrates_________.
(a) Guilty and sentences him to exile.
(b) Guilty and sentences him to death.
(c) Innocent and acquits him of all charges.
(d) Innocent on some charges but guilty on others.
Short Answer Questions
1. Socrates argues that the philosopher __________.
2. Wise souls, Socrates asserts, will always choose paths of_________.
3. In <i>Book IX</i>, what is the common man's deepest pleasure?
4. To Socrates, government is best analogized as being similar to the human _________.
5. How does Socrates regard a timocracy?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)