|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Phaedo.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Socrates believes that a philosopher is best rewarded in death if ________.
(a) His soul is laid to rest, while his body continues to survive.
(b) His soul continues to survive, while his body is laid to rest.
(c) He is brought back to life.
(d) He becomes a god.
2. Wise souls, Socrates asserts, will always choose paths of_________.
3. How does Meno respond to Socrates' question: "Do bees differ as bees, because there are many different kinds of them; or, are they not rather to be distinguished by some other quality, as for example beauty, size, or shape?"
(a) "They're just bees. Who cares?"
(b) "I don't understand your question."
(c) "I should say that bees must differ from one another, as bees."
(d) "I should answer that bees do not differ from one another, as bees."
4. Where is wisdom found in Socrates' ideal republic?
(a) In Socrates, and others like him.
(b) In those who rule and order it.
(c) In the slaves who labor in it.
(d) In the moral law.
5. Who gives the first speech at the symposium?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Socrates regard a timocracy?
2. According to Socrates, where would the republic's leaders live?
3. Who is Cebes?
4. In Apology, Socrates defends himself specifically from accusations made by___________.
5. Which one of the following scenarios, according to Socrates, would most likely give rise to a tyrannical government?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)