|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Phaedo.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the rulers in Socrates' republic?
(a) The students.
(b) The philosophers.
(c) The doctors.
(d) The warriors.
2. Describe Meno's appearance and attitude when he meets Socrates.
(a) Middle- aged and curious.
(b) Youthful, though ugly and shy.
(c) Old, thoughtful, and wise.
(d) Young and handsome though impulsive and arrogant.
3. Who says, at the very end of Book II, "I completely endorse these patterns, and I would enact them as laws"?
4. According to Socrates' opinion, what is the third happiest social class of man in the world?
(a) The atheistic man.
(b) The tyrant.
(c) The democratic man.
(d) The philosophy student.
5. How does Socrates regard an oligarchy?
(a) Socrates asserts that an oligarchy is worse than a democracy.
(b) Socrates thinks that oligarchy is the best form of government in all cases.
(c) Socrates claims that oligarchy is dangerous because it often leads to an impoverished public.
(d) Socrates thinks that class divisions are crucial to the success of an oligarchy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Socrates plan to keep the soldiers of the republic from fighting?
2. From which poet does Polemarchus derive his definition of justice?
3. What are the soldiers of the republic explicitly forbidden to do, according to Socrates?
4. According to Socrates, to what does a true philosopher owe his life?
5. Socrates' republic would have a ruling _________.
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)