|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Phaedo.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Socrates regard an oligarchy?
(a) Socrates thinks that class divisions are crucial to the success of an oligarchy.
(b) Socrates asserts that an oligarchy is worse than a democracy.
(c) Socrates claims that oligarchy is dangerous because it often leads to an impoverished public.
(d) Socrates thinks that oligarchy is the best form of government in all cases.
2. Socrates thinks that poets and painters are_____________.
(a) Like gods, establishing reality through art.
(b) Categorically intelligent.
(c) Imitators, only representing the things they try and capture.
(d) Useless and idle.
3. What is one of the reasons that Crito offers for coming to visit Socrates?
(a) Socrates asked Crito to come.
(b) Crito wants to find out what to do with Socrates' sons.
(c) Crito misses Socrates.
(d) If Crito didn't come to try to rescue Socrates, it would reflect poorly on himself and Socrates' supporters.
4. How are leaders chosen in Socrates' ideal republic?
(a) Every citizen would have equal access to political power.
(b) The richest members of the republic will lead it.
(c) They would all be the soldiers in training who appeared to love their city more than most.
(d) They would be elected by the common men.
5. Which demographic of the Athenian population does Socrates single out for discussion?
(a) The sophists.
(b) The soldiers.
(c) The lawyers.
(d) The citizens.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates' insinuation, artistic knowledge is characterized as which of the following?
2. Socrates intends his imagined city to be taken as a symbolic model for__________.
3. According to Socrates, what are the three parts of the soul?
4. Socrates argues that laws are___________.
5. Socrates believes that a philosopher is best rewarded in death if ________.
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)