|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Phaedo.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When first asked by Socrates to define virtue, Meno responds with which of the following?
(a) Examples of virtuous people with different lifestyles.
(b) A vague unassuming definition which is accepted by Socrates.
(c) A theoretical ontology with ethical limitations on virtue.
(d) A question, asking Socrates if this is really worth his time.
2. To Socrates, government is best analogized as being similar to the human _________.
3. What does Socrates assert about his views of the ideal state?
(a) They are without flaw.
(b) They break certain established social norms.
(c) They will bring about the coming of a new empire.
(d) They are based on insidious accusations against the current ruling power.
4. According to Socrates, woman can____________.
(a) Offer proof of the immortal soul.
(b) Lead the republic.
(c) Hold any job than men can hold.
(d) Reach heaven more quickly than men.
5. How does Socrates regard a timocracy?
(a) Socrates wonders about the possibility of military rule.
(b) Socrates thinks that timocracy is the worst form of government.
(c) Socrates thinks that timocracy is the best form of government in all cases.
(d) Socrates claims that honor and passion of a military leader, while not unjust, are imperfect qualities that you don't want in a leader.
Short Answer Questions
1. What definition of virtue do Meno and Socrates borrow from "the poets"?
2. According to Socrates in Book VII, how many years must a philosopher work after finishing his education in order to become a ruler?
3. Wise souls, Socrates asserts, will always choose paths of_________.
4. According to Socrates, what are the three parts of the soul?
5. According to Socrates' opinion, what is the third happiest social class of man in the world?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)