|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Phaedo.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Socrates' interlocutors object to in the beginning of Book V?
(a) All children and women should be shared (and raised) in common.
(b) Children must be born on the 7th of the month.
(c) They do not give Socrates any objections until later in the dialogue.
(d) All property would be owned by a family.
2. Socrates argues that laws are___________.
(a) Worthy formal pursuits.
(b) Rigid and static, unlike the people they control.
(c) Misguided because no one law holds true categorically.
(d) Affected by the flow of everyday life, and thus should not be formulated individually.
3. Socrates believes that the Sophists________________.
(a) Are philosophers themselves.
(b) Have values worth learning from.
(c) Should be exiled on grounds of impiety.
(d) Are evil imitators posing as philosophers.
4. Socrates firmly believes that poetry _____________.
(a) Must be philosophy to be considered poetry.
(b) Is philosophy of the heart.
(c) Tends to prevent men from leading good lives.
(d) Is instrumental in helping the common man understand larger issues.
5. What are the soldiers of the republic explicitly forbidden to do, according to Socrates?
(a) Execute war criminals.
(b) Commit atrocities, such as enslavement and land-burning, against fellow Greeks.
(c) Take bribes.
(d) Have sex with non-family members.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Glaucon?
2. Why does Glaucon continue conversing with Socrates?
3. Who is Eryximachus?
4. What is an oligarchy?
5. Why does Socrates speak about dogs and other animals to Glaucon?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)