|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Phaedo.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One large theme that permeates throughout Meno is:
(a) Non- virtuous people can still perform virtuous actions
(b) There can never be universal ethics.
(c) Learning is really a recollection of old knowledge.
(d) A proposition can only be deemed valid if it is testable in the empirical world.
2. In Book X, Socrates returns to a discussion about _________.
(b) Social affairs.
(d) Military Strategy.
3. When Ion admits to Socrates that he can only recite one poet's work well, Socrates is puzzled by which of the following?
(a) How an artistic skill can be limited in its expertise.
(b) How Ion considers himself a philosopher.
(c) Ion's hesitation to answer questions about his family.
(d) Ion's desire to speak with Socrates about his work.
4. How does Socrates refute Polemarchus' definition of justice?
(a) Socrates shows Polemarchus that every man is intrinsically free, regardless of the law.
(b) Socrates shows Polemarchus that stealing from the rich is unjust.
(c) Socrates asserts that doing evil, even to an evil man, makes the doer unjust.
(d) Socrates reasons that it is impossible to determine what is fair in every situation.
5. When first asked by Socrates to define virtue, Meno responds with which of the following?
(a) A theoretical ontology with ethical limitations on virtue.
(b) A vague unassuming definition which is accepted by Socrates.
(c) A question, asking Socrates if this is really worth his time.
(d) Examples of virtuous people with different lifestyles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Toward the end of Book IV Socrates weaves an analogy between________________.
2. In order to respond to Glaucon's objections, Socrates ___________________.
3. Socrates thinks that poets and painters are_____________.
4. Which subject should be taught last in Socrates' curriculum?
5. How are leaders chosen in Socrates' ideal republic?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)