|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Phaedo.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the soldiers of the republic explicitly forbidden to do, according to Socrates?
(a) Have sex with non-family members.
(b) Take bribes.
(c) Execute war criminals.
(d) Commit atrocities, such as enslavement and land-burning, against fellow Greeks.
2. How does Socrates defend the point that men and women are equal?
(a) Though they have different external organs, their internal ones are similar.
(b) Men need women to exist (and vice-versa), so man and woman are better regarded as parts of a whole rather than individuals.
(c) Though men are physically stronger, women are emotionally stronger.
(d) Though they have different natures, they can perform the same tasks.
3. Socrates concludes Book X with a theory of _______________.
(a) Reverse psychology.
(b) Revolution for the government.
(c) Reincarnation of souls.
(d) Metaphysical phenomenology.
4. Where is courage found in Socrates' republic?
(a) In the labors who toil in the sun.
(b) In the soldiers who fight for it.
(c) In the lawyers and judges who fight injustice.
(d) In the academics who strive for truth.
5. One theme that is present in Book X, and in other dialogues is______________.
(a) The myth of reincarnation.
(b) The immortality of the soul.
(c) Platonic forms manifest on earth.
(d) Learning as recalled knowledge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Socrates walking with when he is stopped by a group of men urging him to come to Cephalus' house?
2. Why does Glaucon continue conversing with Socrates?
3. What does Crito want Socrates to do?
4. Meletus claims that Socrates said which of the following?
5. According to Socrates, how should a good philosopher rule?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)