|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Phaedo.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Meno respond to Socrates' question: "Do bees differ as bees, because there are many different kinds of them; or, are they not rather to be distinguished by some other quality, as for example beauty, size, or shape?"
(a) "I should answer that bees do not differ from one another, as bees."
(b) "I should say that bees must differ from one another, as bees."
(c) "I don't understand your question."
(d) "They're just bees. Who cares?"
2. According to Socrates' opinion, what does the common man's simple mind cause him to mistake?
(a) Examples for definitions.
(b) Emotions for arguments.
(c) Reason for illogic.
(d) A ceasing of pain for pleasure.
3. Why is Phaedo important?
(a) Because he was present at Socrates execution and spoke with Socrates before he died.
(b) Because he personally executed Socrates.
(c) Because Socrates willed Phaedo everything that Socrates owned.
(d) Because he tried to break Socrates out of prison.
4. What does Socrates think his dream means?
(a) The kingdom of man is not so different from the animal kingdom.
(b) Socrates will go to heaven after he dies.
(c) A foreshadowed vision of Crito coming to visit him.
(d) The boat which was supposed to arrive the same day, would not arrive until tomorrow, thereby delaying his execution.
5. What must the philosopher, according to Socrates in Book VI, employ in order to attain knowledge of "absolute good"?
(a) Public opinion of theoretical subjects.
(b) Guessing and hoping he gets lucky.
(c) Judgment against "absolute evil."
(d) Hypotheses about what is good in the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. To understand Ion's poetically inspired spirit, Socrates employs a metaphor of which of the following?
2. Which subject should be taught last in Socrates' curriculum?
3. What is the major point of Aristophanes' speech?
4. Whom does Socrates think is the fourth (and least) happiest social class of man in the republic?
5. "A good man [who is] grieving," says Socrates," will attempt to moderate his grief through _________."
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)