|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Phaedo.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the verdict, Socrates warns the Athenian jury that________.
(a) They are acting unjustly by carrying out the entire trial in one day.
(b) If they exile him, he will spread slander about the Athenian justice system
(c) If they execute him, they will only be hurting themselves, as his role will be impossible to replace.
(d) If they do not convict him, the public will think them weak.
2. What is an aristocracy?
(a) Rule by poor.
(b) Rule by the millitary.
(c) Rule by a family.
(d) Rule by the elite.
3. In Book IX, what is the common man's deepest pleasure?
(d) Material gain.
4. In Socrates' republic, judges must__________.
(a) Be completely removed from evil.
(b) Be fair and strict.
(c) Be good, but able to spot evil.
(d) Be fair and lax.
5. How does Socrates defend the point that men and women are equal?
(a) Though they have different natures, they can perform the same tasks.
(b) Though men are physically stronger, women are emotionally stronger.
(c) Men need women to exist (and vice-versa), so man and woman are better regarded as parts of a whole rather than individuals.
(d) Though they have different external organs, their internal ones are similar.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates, what are the three parts of the soul?
2. Where is wisdom found in Socrates' ideal republic?
3. Who is the last person to leave the symposium?
4. Which demographic of the Athenian population does Socrates single out for discussion?
5. The Athenian jury finds Socrates_________.
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)