|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Phaedo.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Socrates, what is the best form of government?
2. In Book VII Socrates weaves an analogy suggesting that the common man is like________.
(a) A chicken in a coop, about to be slaughtered.
(b) A prisoner in a cave looking at shadow puppets and thinking it's real life.
(c) A starving beast, desperate for food.
(d) A willow flapping in the wind.
3. As a consequence of an elevated state of mind, Socrates explains that philosophers often have trouble_________.
(a) Focusing on complicated issues.
(b) Apprehending absolute truths.
(c) Being professional.
(d) With sensible and mundane activities.
4. What is the major point of Aristophanes' speech?
(a) Love is the desire for unity, because man and woman were once a unified being.
(b) Love is as complicated and confusing as good poetry.
(c) Men loving woman is necessarily better than men loving men, because the former allows for procreation.
(d) Everything eventually dies, so it is pointless to love anything.
5. Socrates believes that the "just man" is _____________.
(a) A friend of the gods and will be rewarded for being so.
(b) An enemy to unjust gods.
(c) Bound only to enjoy his goodness while he is alive.
(d) An enemy to himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tyranny is most likely to occur under which form of government?
2. Which of the following does Socrates reason about Ion?
3. How does Socrates refute Polemarchus' definition of justice?
4. When Ion admits to Socrates that he can only recite one poet's work well, Socrates is puzzled by which of the following?
5. To understand Ion's poetically inspired spirit, Socrates employs a metaphor of which of the following?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)