|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Phaedo.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Meletus <i>claims</i> that Socrates said which of the following?
(a) "That the sun's a stone and the moon is earth."
(b) "Everything is unified and there is no such thing as particulars."
(c) "There is no good reason to follow Athenian law."
(d) "That the gods do not exist."
2. Before Socrates delivers his speech, he cross- examines Agathon about which of the following?
(a) Agathon's poetic license.
(b) How one can know that he is truly in love.
(c) Whether loves is necessarily possible.
(d) Whether love is necessarily beautiful.
3. At whose house does the Symposium take place?
4. What is Socrates' view on the nature of death, particularly his own?
(a) He thinks death is a good thing, though one should not look forward to it.
(b) He hopes for perfect knowledge, but really claims to have no idea what will happen.
(c) He thinks death a bad thing, but looks forward to it as a means of getting out of prison.
(d) He does not believe in an afterlife.
5. Who said the following: "Whether in battle or in a court of law, or in any other place, he must do what his city and his country order him; or he must change their view of what is just"?
(a) One of Socrates' students.
(b) A prison guard.
(c) Phaedo's assistant.
(d) Socrates' son.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is timocracy?
2. Why is Socrates worried about literature which contains wayward characters?
3. The tyrannical man, according to Socrates, is characterized by___________.
4. Though Glaucon is primarily concerned about justice within the individual, Socrates first begins by analyzing __________.
5. As a consequence of misology, or a hatred of logic/reasoning, Socrates explains how the common man has trouble_________.
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)