|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Phaedo.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Socrates believes that a philosopher is best rewarded in death if ________.
(a) He becomes a god.
(b) He is brought back to life.
(c) His soul continues to survive, while his body is laid to rest.
(d) His soul is laid to rest, while his body continues to survive.
2. Who said, "the unexamined life is not worth living"?
(d) An unnamed member of the Athenian Council.
3. According to Socrates in <i>Book VII</i>, to what should all philosophers aspire?
(a) To make their argument the strongest argument.
(b) To always disagree with each other.
(c) To know absolute truths in-and-of-themselves.
(d) To know what's true for oneself.
4. How does Dimotia characterize love?
(a) Beautiful and pure, like virtue or reason.
(b) Curious and enigmatic, like the Gods.
(c) Crude and deceitful, like the desire for immortality.
(d) Grounded and rational, like a mathematical equation.
5. Which of the following does Socrates reason about poetry?
(a) If poetry consists of statements which belong to other arts, then such "other arts" are actually one thing.
(b) Poetry was not meant to be read aloud.
(c) A poem's content cannot belong to the one who recites it.
(d) A poem's content always belongs to the one who recites it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Crito want Socrates to do?
2. What is one example that Socrates uses to suggest that the city has already turned against him?
3. Whose side is Adeimantus on, at least in the beginning of the dialogue?
4. What is the major point of Aristophanes' speech?
5. In the dialogue, Meno blames the confusion in his speech on which of the following?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)