|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Phaedo.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is timocracy?
(a) Rule by the military.
(b) Rule by the elite.
(c) Rule by the poor.
(d) Rule by the rich.
2. What analogies does Socrates employ to refute Thrasymachus' position on justice?
(a) He compares justice to food, both nourishing the soul.
(b) He compares democracy to dictatorship and aristocracy.
(c) He compares a money-maker to a philosopher and a clergyman.
(d) He compares the skill of a leader to the respective skills of a doctor, house-builder, and sailor.
3. One theme that is present in Book X, and in other dialogues is______________.
(a) The immortality of the soul.
(b) The myth of reincarnation.
(c) Platonic forms manifest on earth.
(d) Learning as recalled knowledge.
4. In Republic: Book III, Socrates is first concerned with:
(a) The end of the world.
(b) A citizens' revolt.
(c) The corruption of the youth.
(d) Methods of practicing medicine.
5. Why is Phaedo important?
(a) Because he personally executed Socrates.
(b) Because he tried to break Socrates out of prison.
(c) Because Socrates willed Phaedo everything that Socrates owned.
(d) Because he was present at Socrates execution and spoke with Socrates before he died.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates, woman can____________.
2. When pressed by Socrates to explain his skill, Ion asserts which of the following?
3. At whose house does the Symposium take place?
4. What is an aristocracy?
5. In Book IX, how does Socrates describe a tyrant?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)