|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Phaedo.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Glaucon?
(a) One of the interlocutors.
(b) Socrates' son.
(c) The ideal solider.
(d) Not philosophically ambitious.
2. Complete the comparison: philosophers have wisdom whereas common men have _______
3. According to Socrates, to what does a true philosopher owe his life?
(a) His parents.
(b) The state.
(c) The people.
(d) His God.
4. When he first meets Socrates, Meno asks the following question:
(a) Is virtue taught, or is it inherent to good people?
(b) Is justice necessarily a good thing?
(c) Where he can learn how to be a philosopher?
(d) How do we know if what we are seeing in the physical world actually exists?
5. Which of the following ideas are not mentioned in Book VI?
(a) Learning is a process of recalling past knowledge.
(b) Philosophers can do good and evil.
(c) The intellectual life of the philosopher is very rigorous.
(d) Hypotheses are helpful, but only when you cannot apprehend an idea without an example.
Short Answer Questions
1. To understand Ion's poetically inspired spirit, Socrates employs a metaphor of which of the following?
2. Ion is renowned for his ability to recite which famous poet?
3. In Socrates' republic, judges must__________.
4. As a consequence of misology, or a hatred of logic/reasoning, Socrates explains how the common man has trouble_________.
5. Who is the surprise visitor to the symposium, and why does he come?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)