|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Phaedo.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Socrates believes that the "just man" is _____________.
(a) An enemy to unjust gods.
(b) An enemy to himself.
(c) A friend of the gods and will be rewarded for being so.
(d) Bound only to enjoy his goodness while he is alive.
2. In Book IX, what is the philosopher's deepest pleasure?
(b) Material gain.
3. In the dialogue, Meno blames the confusion in his speech on which of the following?
(a) Socrates, because Socrates is not listening to Meno's points.
(b) Himself, because he has not had ample time to prepare for a deep conversation.
(c) Socrates, because Socrates is deliberately confusing Meno about a subject which Meno thought he knew.
(d) Himself, because he does not think himself a good exemplar of what virtue is.
4. Socrates explains that the common man sees the philosopher as useless because_________.
(a) He mistakes thoughfulness for idleness.
(b) He is self-serving, and, therefore, despises those who judge him.
(c) He is blinded by ignorance, not seeing the intrinsic importance to their purpose.
(d) He is concerned with the soul, not with books.
5. What is Socrates' view on the nature of death, particularly his own?
(a) He does not believe in an afterlife.
(b) He thinks death is a good thing, though one should not look forward to it.
(c) He thinks death a bad thing, but looks forward to it as a means of getting out of prison.
(d) He hopes for perfect knowledge, but really claims to have no idea what will happen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an oligarchy?
2. What does Crito want Socrates to do?
3. What are "the three"?
4. What is a symposium?
5. Why is Phaedo important?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)