|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Phaedo.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Socrates reason about poetry?
(a) If poetry consists of statements which belong to other arts, then such "other arts" are actually one thing.
(b) A poem's content always belongs to the one who recites it.
(c) A poem's content cannot belong to the one who recites it.
(d) Poetry was not meant to be read aloud.
2. Why does Socrates discuss Asclepius' philosophy?
(a) His leadership is well established.
(b) He has a practical approach of only treating patients whom he knows he can heal.
(c) He disagrees with Socrates about the ideal republic.
(d) His leadership is a good example of how not to lead.
3. Socrates concludes which of the following about virtue?
(a) If it manifests differently in different people, than it cannot have one definition.
(b) If it can be taught then it is knowledge.
(c) If it is the same in everyone, then we should be able to define it.
(d) It cannot be taught and is therefore not knowledge.
4. What poet is cited by Cephalus to explain the paradox of old age?
5. How does Meno respond to Socrates' question: "Do bees differ as bees, because there are many different kinds of them; or, are they not rather to be distinguished by some other quality, as for example beauty, size, or shape?"
(a) "I should say that bees must differ from one another, as bees."
(b) "I should answer that bees do not differ from one another, as bees."
(c) "They're just bees. Who cares?"
(d) "I don't understand your question."
Short Answer Questions
1. How are leaders chosen in Socrates' ideal republic?
2. In the beginning of Book IV, Adeimantus ask Socrates__________________.
3. According to Socrates, what happens when "one [is] mistaken in his judgment, and harms his friends, and helps his enemies, unknowingly"?
4. According to Socrates, how should a good philosopher rule?
5. According to Socrates' view of justice, a ruler should always:
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)