|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Phaedo.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are leaders chosen in Socrates' ideal republic?
(a) They would be elected by the common men.
(b) Every citizen would have equal access to political power.
(c) They would all be the soldiers in training who appeared to love their city more than most.
(d) The richest members of the republic will lead it.
2. Which demographic of the Athenian population does Socrates single out for discussion?
(a) The sophists.
(b) The citizens.
(c) The soldiers.
(d) The lawyers.
3. Socrates firmly believes that poetry _____________.
(a) Is instrumental in helping the common man understand larger issues.
(b) Is philosophy of the heart.
(c) Tends to prevent men from leading good lives.
(d) Must be philosophy to be considered poetry.
4. One large theme that permeates throughout Meno is:
(a) There can never be universal ethics.
(b) Non- virtuous people can still perform virtuous actions
(c) A proposition can only be deemed valid if it is testable in the empirical world.
(d) Learning is really a recollection of old knowledge.
5. How does Socrates regard an oligarchy?
(a) Socrates asserts that an oligarchy is worse than a democracy.
(b) Socrates claims that oligarchy is dangerous because it often leads to an impoverished public.
(c) Socrates thinks that oligarchy is the best form of government in all cases.
(d) Socrates thinks that class divisions are crucial to the success of an oligarchy.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book IX, the democratic man is described by Socrates as one who_________.
2. Wise souls, Socrates asserts, will always choose paths of_________.
3. Socrates argues that laws are___________.
4. Who is Socrates walking with when he is stopped by a group of men urging him to come to Cephalus' house?
5. Socrates believes that a philosopher is best rewarded in death if ________.
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)