|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Phaedo.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is timocracy?
(a) Rule by the military.
(b) Rule by the poor.
(c) Rule by the elite.
(d) Rule by the rich.
2. In Book IX, how does Socrates describe a tyrant?
(a) Elated at his sheer power.
(b) Tired because he works long hours.
(c) Miserable, living in constant fear.
(d) Confused and worried about the wrong things.
3. According to Socrates, the goal of his ideal city is__________________.
(a) To ensure the happiness of a particular class.
(b) To conquer the world.
(c) To find perfect knowledge.
(d) To make a well-organized, perfect society.
4. In Book IX, what is the philosopher's deepest pleasure?
(a) Material gain.
5. Why is Phaedo important?
(a) Because he tried to break Socrates out of prison.
(b) Because he was present at Socrates execution and spoke with Socrates before he died.
(c) Because Socrates willed Phaedo everything that Socrates owned.
(d) Because he personally executed Socrates.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the reasons that Crito offers for coming to visit Socrates?
2. When he first address the jury, Socrates_________.
3. According to Socrates' opinion, what is the second happiest social class of man in the world?
4. From which poet does Polemarchus derive his definition of justice?
5. In Apology, Socrates defends himself specifically from accusations made by___________.
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)