|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Socrates' ideal nation, literature which depicts the afterlife should depict it as___________.
2. How does Socrates regard a timocracy?
(a) Socrates wonders about the possibility of military rule.
(b) Socrates thinks that timocracy is the best form of government in all cases.
(c) Socrates thinks that timocracy is the worst form of government.
(d) Socrates claims that honor and passion of a military leader, while not unjust, are imperfect qualities that you don't want in a leader.
3. Which of the following does Socrates reason about Ion?
(a) Ion is a handsome, though misguided poet.
(b) Ion knows more than Socrates.
(c) Ion must be outside his mind when he recites poetry.
(d) Ion is sad when his crowds are sad and happy when his crowds are happy.
4. In his first argument, Glaucon asserts that is better to __________.
(a) Appear unjust than actually be just.
(b) Be just than appear just.
(c) Be unjust than appear unjust.
(d) Appear just than actually be just.
5. Who is Asclepius?
(a) A ruler who looks kindly among his subjects.
(b) A doctor who gave simple and quick treatments to his patients.
(c) A philosopher who offers a competing argument.
(d) A tyrant who reigns over his people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the major point of Aristophanes' speech?
2. One theme that is present in <i>Book X</i>, and in other dialogues is______________.
3. The evil of the soul, explained in <i>Book X</i> by Socrates, is ___________.
4. What types of stories, according to Socrates, ought we to read to children when they are very young?
5. Who are the rulers in Socrates' republic?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)