|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the surprise visitor to the symposium, and why does he come?
(a) Aristotle arrives late because he traveled farther than the others.
(b) There is no surprise visitor.
(c) Appolodorus comes because he is angry he wasn't invited.
(d) Alcibiades comes because he is drunk and wants to seduce Socrates.
2. How does Dimotia characterize love?
(a) Beautiful and pure, like virtue or reason.
(b) Crude and deceitful, like the desire for immortality.
(c) Curious and enigmatic, like the Gods.
(d) Grounded and rational, like a mathematical equation.
3. In Socrates' ideal nation, literature which depicts the afterlife should depict it as___________.
4. Who is Glaucon?
(a) The ideal solider.
(b) Not philosophically ambitious.
(c) One of the interlocutors.
(d) Socrates' son.
5. As a consequence of an elevated state of mind, Socrates explains that philosophers often have trouble_________.
(a) Focusing on complicated issues.
(b) Being professional.
(c) Apprehending absolute truths.
(d) With sensible and mundane activities.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates, what are the two ways of training the soul?
2. Socrates intends his imagined city to be taken as a symbolic model for__________.
3. Who is the character who narrates Symposium?
4. One large theme that permeates throughout Meno is:
5. How does Socrates regard a democracy?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)