|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the beginning of Book IV, Adeimantus ask Socrates__________________.
(a) When Socrates thinks it feasible for his city to exist.
(b) Why the city's soldiers should be deprived of material happiness.
(c) Why Socrates adopts such a strange view of medicine.
(d) Where Socrates plans to get resources to build his city.
2. How does Socrates defend the point that men and women are equal?
(a) Though men are physically stronger, women are emotionally stronger.
(b) Though they have different external organs, their internal ones are similar.
(c) Men need women to exist (and vice-versa), so man and woman are better regarded as parts of a whole rather than individuals.
(d) Though they have different natures, they can perform the same tasks.
3. In order to respond to Glaucon's objections, Socrates ___________________.
(a) Tries to find justice in animals before finding justice in humans.
(b) Changes the subject completely.
(c) Posits an ideal city so that he might discover where justice comes from.
(d) Analogizes justice to fine skills like woodworking and carpentry.
4. What types of stories, according to Socrates, ought we to read to children when they are very young?
(a) True ones with only true elements
(b) False ones (myths), with a true element.
(c) False ones (myths) that are not grounded in any truth.
(d) True ones with false elements.
5. Socrates concludes Book X with a theory of _______________.
(a) Reincarnation of souls.
(b) Revolution for the government.
(c) Reverse psychology.
(d) Metaphysical phenomenology.
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe Meno's appearance and attitude when he meets Socrates.
2. Which of the following does Socrates reason about Ion?
3. According to Socrates, to what does a true philosopher owe his life?
4. Which subject should be taught last in Socrates' curriculum?
5. Adeimantus interrupts Socrates in the beginning of Book VI to ask him ____________.
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)