|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his discussion of education, Socrates says that arithmetic, geometry, and physics are worthwhile pursuits for which two groups of people?
(a) Traders and servants.
(b) Craftsmen and politicians.
(c) Philosophers and merchants.
(d) Philosophers and military generals.
2. According to Socrates, woman can____________.
(a) Reach heaven more quickly than men.
(b) Lead the republic.
(c) Hold any job than men can hold.
(d) Offer proof of the immortal soul.
3. Socrates believes that the "just man" is _____________.
(a) A friend of the gods and will be rewarded for being so.
(b) An enemy to unjust gods.
(c) An enemy to himself.
(d) Bound only to enjoy his goodness while he is alive.
4. Who gives the first speech at the symposium?
5. Who is Glaucon?
(a) Socrates' son.
(b) Not philosophically ambitious.
(c) One of the interlocutors.
(d) The ideal solider.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book IX, what is the philosopher's deepest pleasure?
2. Before Socrates delivers his speech, he cross- examines Agathon about which of the following?
3. What is a symposium?
4. How does Meno respond to Socrates' question: "Do bees differ as bees, because there are many different kinds of them; or, are they not rather to be distinguished by some other quality, as for example beauty, size, or shape?"
5. Describe Thrasymachus' view of Socrates.
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)