|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Socrates' interlocutors object to in the beginning of Book V?
(a) All property would be owned by a family.
(b) Children must be born on the 7th of the month.
(c) All children and women should be shared (and raised) in common.
(d) They do not give Socrates any objections until later in the dialogue.
2. Whom does Socrates think is the fourth (and least) happiest social class of man in the republic?
(a) The aristocrat.
(b) The democratic man.
(c) The king.
(d) The tyrant.
3. One virtue that Socrates constantly refers to in his reasoning throughout Book III is_____________.
4. From which poet does Polemarchus derive his definition of justice?
5. According to Socrates, what happens when "one [is] mistaken in his judgment, and harms his friends, and helps his enemies, unknowingly"?
(a) He is just.
(b) It doesn't matter; one would never do this.
(c) He claims to know justice, but doesn't.
(d) He is unjust.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Socrates rebut the definition of virtue offered by the poets?
2. According to Socrates' insinuation, artistic knowledge is characterized as which of the following?
3. How does Thrasymachus first define justice?
4. According to Socrates, what is the best form of government?
5. Adeimantus interrupts Socrates in the beginning of Book VI to ask him ____________.
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)