|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Socrates concludes which of the following about virtue?
(a) If it manifests differently in different people, than it cannot have one definition.
(b) If it is the same in everyone, then we should be able to define it.
(c) It cannot be taught and is therefore not knowledge.
(d) If it can be taught then it is knowledge.
2. Which demographic of the Athenian population does Socrates single out for discussion?
(a) The soldiers.
(b) The lawyers.
(c) The citizens.
(d) The sophists.
3. Who is Socrates walking with when he is stopped by a group of men urging him to come to Cephalus' house?
4. From Socrates' point of view, the philosopher is __________ than the tyrant.
(a) Vested with less power.
(b) More rewarded.
(c) Worse off.
(d) Immensely more happy.
5. In Socrates' ideal nation, literature which depicts the afterlife should depict it as___________.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates, what are the two ways of training the soul?
2. Why would candidates for a philosopher-king class in the republic be tested?
3. Where is courage found in Socrates' republic?
4. Describe Thrasymachus' view of Socrates.
5. How does Socrates regard an oligarchy?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)