|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the three social classes in the republic, according to Socrates?
(a) The rich, the poor, and the middle class.
(b) The working-class, the soldiers, and the rulers.
(c) The leaders, the rebels, and everyone else.
(d) The philosophers, the sophists, and the warriors.
2. What does Socrates tell Ion about a person who can recite poetry well?
(a) Memorizing poetry is a way of balancing the soul.
(b) Ion should memorize philosophy instead of poetry.
(c) Only a person who understands a poem's meaning could be a good reciter.
(d) Ion must not know the meaning of poetry if he just memorizes it.
3. What must the philosopher, according to Socrates in Book VI, employ in order to attain knowledge of "absolute good"?
(a) Public opinion of theoretical subjects.
(b) Judgment against "absolute evil."
(c) Hypotheses about what is good in the world.
(d) Guessing and hoping he gets lucky.
4. Whom does Socrates think is the fourth (and least) happiest social class of man in the republic?
(a) The democratic man.
(b) The king.
(c) The tyrant.
(d) The aristocrat.
5. According to Socrates' opinion, what does the common man's simple mind cause him to mistake?
(a) Reason for illogic.
(b) Examples for definitions.
(c) Emotions for arguments.
(d) A ceasing of pain for pleasure.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the surprise visitor to the symposium, and why does he come?
2. According to Socrates, what are the two ways of training the soul?
3. If led by true philosophers, Socrates argues that the republic would__________________.
4. What do Socrates' interlocutors object to in the beginning of Book V?
5. How does Polemarchus define justice?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)