|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Socrates, how should a good philosopher rule?
(a) Not associate with politics.
(b) Rule, but unwillingly so.
(c) Never rule because absolute power corrupts absolutely.
(d) Rule, but willingly so.
2. After a philosopher's formal education is complete in the Republic, what does Socrates' think is the next step in his training?
(a) Living abroad and returning only when summoned.
(b) Going into the street and spreading his knowledge to the masses.
(c) Holding a military post in order to see if he can resist temptation in the field.
(d) Working towards a professorship.
3. Ultimately, Socrates concludes that justice is______________.
(a) Completely unknowable, but nevertheless necessary.
(b) The power of the stronger.
(c) Completely unknowable and therefore obsolete.
(d) A proper organization, balancing the various faculties of the soul.
4. To illustrate one facet of his argument, Socrates employs the help of which character?
(a) A nearby slave boy to whom he teaches simple geometry.
(b) Meno's wife.
(c) A nearby guard who speaks about virtuous people he knows.
(d) Plato to clarify Socrates' words for a perplexed Meno.
5. In Ion, Socrates compares Ion to which of the following?
(b) Religious prophets.
(c) Greek artists and sculptors.
Short Answer Questions
1. One theme that is present in Book X, and in other dialogues is______________.
2. In Socrates' republic, judges must__________.
3. According to Socrates' opinion, what is the second happiest social class of man in the world?
4. How does Thrasymachus first define justice?
5. In Ion, Socrates concludes that Ion's ability to memorize poetry is which of the following?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)