|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Socrates delivers his speech, he cross- examines Agathon about which of the following?
(a) Agathon's poetic license.
(b) Whether love is necessarily beautiful.
(c) Whether loves is necessarily possible.
(d) How one can know that he is truly in love.
2. When Ion admits to Socrates that he can only recite one poet's work well, Socrates is puzzled by which of the following?
(a) Ion's hesitation to answer questions about his family.
(b) How Ion considers himself a philosopher.
(c) Ion's desire to speak with Socrates about his work.
(d) How an artistic skill can be limited in its expertise.
3. Why is Socrates worried about literature which contains wayward characters?
(a) He thinks that people will imitate such characters.
(b) Socrates hates fiction.
(c) He wants every story for have a moral.
(d) Socrates is not worried about such fictional characters.
4. Who are the rulers in Socrates' republic?
(a) The students.
(b) The doctors.
(c) The philosophers.
(d) The warriors.
5. How does Socrates defend the point that men and women are equal?
(a) Though men are physically stronger, women are emotionally stronger.
(b) Though they have different external organs, their internal ones are similar.
(c) Men need women to exist (and vice-versa), so man and woman are better regarded as parts of a whole rather than individuals.
(d) Though they have different natures, they can perform the same tasks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Socrates concludes Book X with a theory of _______________.
2. What counter-example does Socrates employ as evidence that a state is flawed?
3. Glaucon offers Socrates a proof that ____________________.
4. In order to respond to Glaucon's objections, Socrates ___________________.
5. When Socrates meets Ion, Ion has just returned from which of the following?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)