|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Socrates discuss Asclepius' philosophy?
(a) He has a practical approach of only treating patients whom he knows he can heal.
(b) He disagrees with Socrates about the ideal republic.
(c) His leadership is well established.
(d) His leadership is a good example of how not to lead.
2. According to Socrates' opinion, what is the third happiest social class of man in the world?
(a) The atheistic man.
(b) The democratic man.
(c) The tyrant.
(d) The philosophy student.
3. According to Socrates, what is the best form of government?
4. According to Socrates, what are the two ways of training the soul?
(a) Conversation with oneself and with others.
(b) Mediation and medicine.
(c) Physical exercise and literary education.
(d) Religion and philosophy.
5. How are leaders chosen in Socrates' ideal republic?
(a) The richest members of the republic will lead it.
(b) Every citizen would have equal access to political power.
(c) They would all be the soldiers in training who appeared to love their city more than most.
(d) They would be elected by the common men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the last person to leave the symposium?
2. In Book IX,what is the soldier's deepest pleasure?
3. In Book VII Socrates weaves an analogy suggesting that the common man is like________.
4. Why is Socrates worried about literature which contains wayward characters?
5. What does Socrates assert about his views of the ideal state?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)