|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is timocracy?
(a) Rule by the elite.
(b) Rule by the poor.
(c) Rule by the military.
(d) Rule by the rich.
2. How does Polemarchus define justice?
(a) Doing good to one's friends and evil to one's enemies.
(b) Stealing from the rich and giving to the poor.
(c) Allowing each man to live his life freely.
(d) Being fair in all contexts.
3. According to Socrates' radical math, the tyrant's life is 729 times________.
(a) More worthy than an elected leader's life.
(b) More laudable than the common man's life.
(c) Less exciting than the soldier's life.
(d) Less pleasant than the philosopher's life.
4. One large theme that permeates throughout Meno is:
(a) Non- virtuous people can still perform virtuous actions
(b) A proposition can only be deemed valid if it is testable in the empirical world.
(c) There can never be universal ethics.
(d) Learning is really a recollection of old knowledge.
5. When pressed by Socrates to explain his skill, Ion asserts which of the following?
(a) When he recites passage about military exploits he cannot tell if he does so with the candor of a general.
(b) He is unqualified to comment on the artistic value of the his recitations.
(c) Socrates should not be asking him questions.
(d) When he recites poetry he feels like the poet himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Book IV, Adeimantus ask Socrates__________________.
2. What assertion is made by Socrates when he responds to Adeimantus' point?
3. What is a symposium?
4. According to Socrates, what happens when "one [is] mistaken in his judgment, and harms his friends, and helps his enemies, unknowingly"?
5. Why would candidates for a philosopher-king class in the republic be tested?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)