|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the then-present Greece, Socrates believes that __________.
(a) Sophists fill the role of philosophers.
(b) There are very many true philosophers.
(c) There are very few true philosophers.
(d) The rise of a philosopher-king, though desirable, is an impossible scenario.
2. As a consequence of an elevated state of mind, Socrates explains that philosophers often have trouble_________.
(a) Focusing on complicated issues.
(b) Being professional.
(c) With sensible and mundane activities.
(d) Apprehending absolute truths.
3. From Socrates' point of view, the philosopher is __________ than the tyrant.
(a) Vested with less power.
(b) Worse off.
(c) Immensely more happy.
(d) More rewarded.
4. In Book IX, what is the common man's deepest pleasure?
(b) Material gain.
5. Socrates firmly believes that poets ______________.
(a) Should be banished from his city.
(b) Know exactly of what they are speaking.
(c) Are correct about the afterlife.
(d) Should be allowed to recite in the streets.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his first argument, Glaucon asserts that is better to __________.
2. In Ion, Socrates concludes that Ion's ability to memorize poetry is which of the following?
3. What analogies does Socrates employ to refute Thrasymachus' position on justice?
4. Whom does Socrates think is the fourth (and least) happiest social class of man in the republic?
5. To illustrate one facet of his argument, Socrates employs the help of which character?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)