|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To understand Ion's poetically inspired spirit, Socrates employs a metaphor of which of the following?
(a) A dying animal to explain how the sole individual is part of a significant collective.
(b) A newly born start to explain how small and insignificant our world is in the greater picture.
(c) A magnet to explain how a poet's inspiration moves from the muse to the audience.
(d) An eye attempting to see itself, explaining how our mental visions are limited by the bounds of our brain.
2. Socrates believes that the "just man" is _____________.
(a) An enemy to himself.
(b) A friend of the gods and will be rewarded for being so.
(c) An enemy to unjust gods.
(d) Bound only to enjoy his goodness while he is alive.
3. In Book V, Socrates admits which of the following about his republic?
(a) His city will rule the world.
(b) Many people would have to be brainwashed before they would live in such a city.
(c) He hopes his city is built, just not in his lifetime.
(d) Though theoretically sound, such a city might not be actually possible.
4. In Socrates' ideal nation, literature which depicts the afterlife should depict it as___________.
5. What is timocracy?
(a) Rule by the poor.
(b) Rule by the military.
(c) Rule by the rich.
(d) Rule by the elite.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which subject should be taught last in Socrates' curriculum?
2. When pressed by Socrates to explain his skill, Ion asserts which of the following?
3. In Book IX, the democratic man is described by Socrates as one who_________.
4. What counter-example does Socrates employ as evidence that a state is flawed?
5. What are "the three"?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)