|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Polemarchus define justice?
(a) Allowing each man to live his life freely.
(b) Being fair in all contexts.
(c) Doing good to one's friends and evil to one's enemies.
(d) Stealing from the rich and giving to the poor.
2. When first asked by Socrates to define virtue, Meno responds with which of the following?
(a) Examples of virtuous people with different lifestyles.
(b) A vague unassuming definition which is accepted by Socrates.
(c) A question, asking Socrates if this is really worth his time.
(d) A theoretical ontology with ethical limitations on virtue.
3. Tyranny is most likely to occur under which form of government?
4. When pressed by Socrates to explain his skill, Ion asserts which of the following?
(a) Socrates should not be asking him questions.
(b) When he recites poetry he feels like the poet himself.
(c) He is unqualified to comment on the artistic value of the his recitations.
(d) When he recites passage about military exploits he cannot tell if he does so with the candor of a general.
5. Socrates believes that a philosopher is best rewarded in death if ________.
(a) His soul continues to survive, while his body is laid to rest.
(b) He becomes a god.
(c) His soul is laid to rest, while his body continues to survive.
(d) He is brought back to life.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates in Book VII, to what should all philosophers aspire?
2. According to Socrates' opinion, what is the third happiest social class of man in the world?
3. According to Socrates, the goal of his ideal city is__________________.
4. Before Socrates delivers his speech, he cross- examines Agathon about which of the following?
5. In Book VII Socrates weaves an analogy suggesting that the common man is like________.
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)