|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dimotia characterize love?
(a) Beautiful and pure, like virtue or reason.
(b) Curious and enigmatic, like the Gods.
(c) Grounded and rational, like a mathematical equation.
(d) Crude and deceitful, like the desire for immortality.
2. What poet is cited by Cephalus to explain the paradox of old age?
3. What are the soldiers of the republic explicitly forbidden to do, according to Socrates?
(a) Execute war criminals.
(b) Commit atrocities, such as enslavement and land-burning, against fellow Greeks.
(c) Take bribes.
(d) Have sex with non-family members.
4. In Book VII Socrates weaves an analogy suggesting that the common man is like________.
(a) A chicken in a coop, about to be slaughtered.
(b) A starving beast, desperate for food.
(c) A prisoner in a cave looking at shadow puppets and thinking it's real life.
(d) A willow flapping in the wind.
5. Who is Eryximachus?
(a) A philosopher who attacks Pausanias' postion.
(b) The last speaker and surprise guest at the symposium.
(c) A poet who argues that men and woman were once fused beings.
(d) A doctor who argues that love is like a medicine curing life's ailments.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates in Book VII, how many years must a philosopher work after finishing his education in order to become a ruler?
2. How are leaders chosen in Socrates' ideal republic?
3. What types of stories, according to Socrates, ought we to read to children when they are very young?
4. According to Socrates, how should a good philosopher rule?
5. Which demographic of the Athenian population does Socrates single out for discussion?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)