|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Glaucon?
(a) Socrates' son.
(b) One of the interlocutors.
(c) Not philosophically ambitious.
(d) The ideal solider.
2. Why is Socrates worried about literature which contains wayward characters?
(a) Socrates hates fiction.
(b) He thinks that people will imitate such characters.
(c) He wants every story for have a moral.
(d) Socrates is not worried about such fictional characters.
3. When pressed by Socrates to explain his skill, Ion asserts which of the following?
(a) He is unqualified to comment on the artistic value of the his recitations.
(b) When he recites poetry he feels like the poet himself.
(c) When he recites passage about military exploits he cannot tell if he does so with the candor of a general.
(d) Socrates should not be asking him questions.
4. In Ion, Socrates concludes that Ion's ability to memorize poetry is which of the following?
(a) An art that he learned from others.
(b) Proof that he knows what it actually means.
(c) Divinely inspired, just like the very poets whom Ion recites.
(d) Not proof that he knows what it actually means.
5. Who is Socrates walking with when he is stopped by a group of men urging him to come to Cephalus' house?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the dialogue, Meno blames the confusion in his speech on which of the following?
2. What is an aristocracy?
3. Who is the character who narrates Symposium?
4. What is the major point of Aristophanes' speech?
5. According to Socrates' points in Book IV, the soul of a philosopher_____________________.
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)