|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the three social classes in the republic, according to Socrates?
(a) The philosophers, the sophists, and the warriors.
(b) The leaders, the rebels, and everyone else.
(c) The rich, the poor, and the middle class.
(d) The working-class, the soldiers, and the rulers.
2. What analogies does Socrates employ to refute Thrasymachus' position on justice?
(a) He compares democracy to dictatorship and aristocracy.
(b) He compares a money-maker to a philosopher and a clergyman.
(c) He compares justice to food, both nourishing the soul.
(d) He compares the skill of a leader to the respective skills of a doctor, house-builder, and sailor.
3. In Book IX,what is the soldier's deepest pleasure?
(d) Material gain.
4. According to Socrates, how should a good philosopher rule?
(a) Never rule because absolute power corrupts absolutely.
(b) Rule, but unwillingly so.
(c) Not associate with politics.
(d) Rule, but willingly so.
5. Socrates firmly believes that poetry _____________.
(a) Must be philosophy to be considered poetry.
(b) Is philosophy of the heart.
(c) Tends to prevent men from leading good lives.
(d) Is instrumental in helping the common man understand larger issues.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Socrates discuss Asclepius' philosophy?
2. Who says, at the very end of Book II, "I completely endorse these patterns, and I would enact them as laws"?
3. In Ion, Socrates compares Ion to which of the following?
4. In order to respond to Glaucon's objections, Socrates ___________________.
5. In Republic: Book III, Socrates is first concerned with:
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)