|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Glaucon continue conversing with Socrates?
(a) Because he is provoked by Adeimantus to do so.
(b) Because he is convinced he can win an argument against Socrates.
(c) Because he is not satisfied with Socrates' response to Thrasymachus.
(d) Because he agrees with Socrates that injustice is better than justice.
2. At whose house does the Symposium take place?
3. What are the soldiers of the republic explicitly forbidden to do, according to Socrates?
(a) Commit atrocities, such as enslavement and land-burning, against fellow Greeks.
(b) Take bribes.
(c) Have sex with non-family members.
(d) Execute war criminals.
4. Socrates intends his imagined city to be taken as a symbolic model for__________.
(a) The individual soul.
(b) The natural animal kingdom.
(c) Collective consciousness.
(d) Justice personified.
5. Philosophers, according to Socrates' analogy, are which of the following?
(a) Men freed from the cave, seeing the shadow puppets for what they are.
(b) The parasite sitting in the beast's stomach, making it hungry.
(c) Wind making the willows flap.
(d) The farmers who cut the chickens' heads off.
Short Answer Questions
1. To Socrates, government is best analogized as being similar to the human _________.
2. What must the philosopher, according to Socrates in Book VI, employ in order to attain knowledge of "absolute good"?
3. In Ion, Socrates compares Ion to which of the following?
4. Toward the end of Book IV Socrates weaves an analogy between________________.
5. How are leaders chosen in Socrates' ideal republic?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)