|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By the end of Book IV Socrates has still not proved _______________.
(a) Laws affect the flow of life.
(b) Justice is preferable to injustice.
(c) Justice manifests on earth.
(d) Courage comes from education and fear comes from ignorance.
2. In Socrates' ideal city, poets and soothsayers:
(a) Would lead religious ceremonies.
(b) Would not be allowed to speak falsely about the gods.
(c) Would be considered useless and expelled.
(d) Would be rich while the workers would be poor.
3. How does Socrates plan to keep the soldiers of the republic from fighting?
(a) He reasons that if they make the most money, they will always be happy.
(b) He reasons that if they belonged to the same family, they would not fight.
(c) He trusts that anyone who becomes a solider would put his state before his personal emotions.
(d) Socrates does not have a measure for ensuring peace among the guardian-class.
4. According to Socrates' points in Book IV, the soul of a philosopher_____________________.
(a) Is better than the soul of a common man.
(b) Can be used for good and evil alike.
(c) Does not concern Socrates.
(d) Is easily persuadable.
5. According to Socrates, what are the three parts of the soul?
(a) Goodness, badness, and curiosity.
(b) Hate, love, and desire.
(c) Thoughtfulness, mindfulness, and power.
(d) Rationality, spirit, and appetite.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cephalus say to Socrates about old age?
2. The common man is not concerned with beauty itself, but ___________.
3. Socrates believes that unjust men_________.
4. According to Socrates, the goal of his ideal city is__________________.
5. How does Socrates regard a democracy?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)