|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tyranny is most likely to occur under which form of government?
2. What assertion is made by Socrates when he responds to Adeimantus' point?
(a) Philosophers make the best rulers.
(b) Students become philosophers when they stop asking such questions.
(c) Philosophy is neither an activity nor a profession, but a calling.
(d) True philosophers are more concerned with absolute truth to the opinion of the masses, and only Sophists are evil.
3. What counter-example does Socrates employ as evidence that a state is flawed?
(a) Poor doctors exist where there are poor statesmen.
(b) Diplomats make more money than labors in problematic regions.
(c) When innocent men are sentenced to death, a state is flawed.
(d) "Rich" soldiers in other cities make poor soldiers and poor leaders.
4. As a consequence of an elevated state of mind, Socrates explains that philosophers often have trouble_________.
(a) With sensible and mundane activities.
(b) Apprehending absolute truths.
(c) Being professional.
(d) Focusing on complicated issues.
5. In Book V, Socrates admits which of the following about his republic?
(a) His city will rule the world.
(b) He hopes his city is built, just not in his lifetime.
(c) Though theoretically sound, such a city might not be actually possible.
(d) Many people would have to be brainwashed before they would live in such a city.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Thrasymachus first define justice?
2. In the then-present Greece, Socrates believes that __________.
3. According to Socrates, what is the best form of government?
4. Who gives the first speech at the symposium?
5. Which demographic of the Athenian population does Socrates single out for discussion?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)