|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Toward the end of Book IV Socrates weaves an analogy between________________.
(a) Father and son.
(b) The individual and the city.
(c) The citizen and the king.
(d) Heaven and hell.
2. If led by true philosophers, Socrates argues that the republic would__________________.
(a) Deal justly with foreigners.
(b) Be the most powerful state in the world.
(c) Reflect the same perfect justice, beauty, and goodness of its leaders.
(d) Not negotiate with other nations.
3. Describe Thrasymachus' view of Socrates.
(a) He hates Socrates and thinks Socrates is stupid.
(b) He chastizes Socrates for asking questions freely, but dodging them when he is asked a question himself.
(c) He can't follow Socrates' logic.
(d) He likes the Socratic method of reasoning.
4. Before Socrates delivers his speech, he cross- examines Agathon about which of the following?
(a) Whether loves is necessarily possible.
(b) Whether love is necessarily beautiful.
(c) Agathon's poetic license.
(d) How one can know that he is truly in love.
5. When he first meets Socrates, Meno asks the following question:
(a) Where he can learn how to be a philosopher?
(b) Is justice necessarily a good thing?
(c) Is virtue taught, or is it inherent to good people?
(d) How do we know if what we are seeing in the physical world actually exists?
Short Answer Questions
1. In his discussion of education, Socrates says that arithmetic, geometry, and physics are worthwhile pursuits for which two groups of people?
2. What are "the three"?
3. Who is Eryximachus?
4. In Ion, Socrates compares Ion to which of the following?
5. In Ion, Socrates concludes that Ion's ability to memorize poetry is which of the following?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)