|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are leaders chosen in Socrates' ideal republic?
(a) They would be elected by the common men.
(b) They would all be the soldiers in training who appeared to love their city more than most.
(c) The richest members of the republic will lead it.
(d) Every citizen would have equal access to political power.
2. To illustrate one facet of his argument, Socrates employs the help of which character?
(a) Plato to clarify Socrates' words for a perplexed Meno.
(b) A nearby guard who speaks about virtuous people he knows.
(c) A nearby slave boy to whom he teaches simple geometry.
(d) Meno's wife.
3. Socrates explains that the common man sees the philosopher as useless because_________.
(a) He is self-serving, and, therefore, despises those who judge him.
(b) He mistakes thoughfulness for idleness.
(c) He is concerned with the soul, not with books.
(d) He is blinded by ignorance, not seeing the intrinsic importance to their purpose.
4. Who says, at the very end of Book II, "I completely endorse these patterns, and I would enact them as laws"?
5. What does Socrates tell Ion about a person who can recite poetry well?
(a) Memorizing poetry is a way of balancing the soul.
(b) Ion must not know the meaning of poetry if he just memorizes it.
(c) Only a person who understands a poem's meaning could be a good reciter.
(d) Ion should memorize philosophy instead of poetry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What assertion is made by Socrates when he responds to Adeimantus' point?
2. In the then-present Greece, Socrates believes that __________.
3. According to Socrates, where would the republic's leaders live?
4. Toward the end of Book IV Socrates weaves an analogy between________________.
5. What types of stories, according to Socrates, ought we to read to children when they are very young?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)