|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Socrates, woman can____________.
(a) Reach heaven more quickly than men.
(b) Lead the republic.
(c) Offer proof of the immortal soul.
(d) Hold any job than men can hold.
2. Describe Meno's appearance and attitude when he meets Socrates.
(a) Youthful, though ugly and shy.
(b) Old, thoughtful, and wise.
(c) Young and handsome though impulsive and arrogant.
(d) Middle- aged and curious.
3. According to Socrates' points in Book IV, the soul of a philosopher_____________________.
(a) Is easily persuadable.
(b) Is better than the soul of a common man.
(c) Does not concern Socrates.
(d) Can be used for good and evil alike.
4. Which of the following does Socrates reason about poetry?
(a) Poetry was not meant to be read aloud.
(b) A poem's content always belongs to the one who recites it.
(c) A poem's content cannot belong to the one who recites it.
(d) If poetry consists of statements which belong to other arts, then such "other arts" are actually one thing.
5. What poet is cited by Cephalus to explain the paradox of old age?
Short Answer Questions
1. In his first argument, Glaucon asserts that is better to __________.
2. In Republic: Book III, Socrates is first concerned with:
3. In the dialogue, Meno blames the confusion in his speech on which of the following?
4. According to Socrates, where would the republic's leaders live?
5. In order to respond to Glaucon's objections, Socrates ___________________.
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)