|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ion admits to Socrates that he can only recite one poet's work well, Socrates is puzzled by which of the following?
(a) Ion's hesitation to answer questions about his family.
(b) How Ion considers himself a philosopher.
(c) How an artistic skill can be limited in its expertise.
(d) Ion's desire to speak with Socrates about his work.
2. According to Socrates, what happens when "one [is] mistaken in his judgment, and harms his friends, and helps his enemies, unknowingly"?
(a) He is just.
(b) It doesn't matter; one would never do this.
(c) He is unjust.
(d) He claims to know justice, but doesn't.
3. Tyranny is most likely to occur under which form of government?
4. One virtue that Socrates constantly refers to in his reasoning throughout Book III is_____________.
5. According to Socrates, the goal of his ideal city is__________________.
(a) To conquer the world.
(b) To ensure the happiness of a particular class.
(c) To find perfect knowledge.
(d) To make a well-organized, perfect society.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book V, Socrates admits which of the following about his republic?
2. In Socrates' ideal nation, literature which depicts the afterlife should depict it as___________.
3. According to Socrates, woman can____________.
4. Toward the end of Book IV Socrates weaves an analogy between________________.
5. According to Socrates, how should a good philosopher rule?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)