|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What assertion is made by Socrates when he responds to Adeimantus' point?
(a) True philosophers are more concerned with absolute truth to the opinion of the masses, and only Sophists are evil.
(b) Students become philosophers when they stop asking such questions.
(c) Philosophers make the best rulers.
(d) Philosophy is neither an activity nor a profession, but a calling.
2. Which of the following does Socrates reason about Ion?
(a) Ion is a handsome, though misguided poet.
(b) Ion knows more than Socrates.
(c) Ion is sad when his crowds are sad and happy when his crowds are happy.
(d) Ion must be outside his mind when he recites poetry.
3. What are the three social classes in the republic, according to Socrates?
(a) The leaders, the rebels, and everyone else.
(b) The philosophers, the sophists, and the warriors.
(c) The working-class, the soldiers, and the rulers.
(d) The rich, the poor, and the middle class.
4. From which poet does Polemarchus derive his definition of justice?
5. According to Socrates, what happens when "one [is] mistaken in his judgment, and harms his friends, and helps his enemies, unknowingly"?
(a) It doesn't matter; one would never do this.
(b) He claims to know justice, but doesn't.
(c) He is just.
(d) He is unjust.
Short Answer Questions
1. One large theme that permeates throughout Meno is:
2. Who is Asclepius?
3. In the beginning of Book IV, Adeimantus ask Socrates__________________.
4. By the end of Book IV Socrates has still not proved _______________.
5. How does Socrates rebut the definition of virtue offered by the poets?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)