|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Socrates meets Ion, Ion has just returned from which of the following?
(a) A poetry recital contest in Epidarus.
(b) Socrates' trial.
(c) A game at the Coliseum.
(d) Agathon's drinking party.
2. Philosophers, according to Socrates' analogy, are which of the following?
(a) The parasite sitting in the beast's stomach, making it hungry.
(b) Wind making the willows flap.
(c) The farmers who cut the chickens' heads off.
(d) Men freed from the cave, seeing the shadow puppets for what they are.
3. According to Socrates in Book VII, to what should all philosophers aspire?
(a) To make their argument the strongest argument.
(b) To know what's true for oneself.
(c) To always disagree with each other.
(d) To know absolute truths in-and-of-themselves.
4. According to Socrates' insinuation, artistic knowledge is characterized as which of the following?
5. Why does Socrates discuss Asclepius' philosophy?
(a) His leadership is a good example of how not to lead.
(b) He has a practical approach of only treating patients whom he knows he can heal.
(c) His leadership is well established.
(d) He disagrees with Socrates about the ideal republic.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the then-present Greece, Socrates believes that __________.
2. According to Socrates, what are the three parts of the soul?
3. As a consequence of misology, or a hatred of logic/reasoning, Socrates explains how the common man has trouble_________.
4. Though Glaucon is primarily concerned about justice within the individual, Socrates first begins by analyzing __________.
5. Who is Asclepius?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)