|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives the last formal speech at the symposium?
2. According to Socrates, how should a good philosopher rule?
(a) Not associate with politics.
(b) Never rule because absolute power corrupts absolutely.
(c) Rule, but unwillingly so.
(d) Rule, but willingly so.
3. In Socrates' ideal city, poets and soothsayers:
(a) Would be considered useless and expelled.
(b) Would lead religious ceremonies.
(c) Would be rich while the workers would be poor.
(d) Would not be allowed to speak falsely about the gods.
4. What are the soldiers of the republic explicitly forbidden to do, according to Socrates?
(a) Take bribes.
(b) Have sex with non-family members.
(c) Execute war criminals.
(d) Commit atrocities, such as enslavement and land-burning, against fellow Greeks.
5. How does Socrates defend the point that men and women are equal?
(a) Though men are physically stronger, women are emotionally stronger.
(b) Though they have different natures, they can perform the same tasks.
(c) Though they have different external organs, their internal ones are similar.
(d) Men need women to exist (and vice-versa), so man and woman are better regarded as parts of a whole rather than individuals.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates, to what does a true philosopher owe his life?
2. How does Socrates regard a timocracy?
3. Who are the rulers in Socrates' republic?
4. How does Meno respond to Socrates' question: "Do bees differ as bees, because there are many different kinds of them; or, are they not rather to be distinguished by some other quality, as for example beauty, size, or shape?"
5. According to Socrates, woman can____________.
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)