|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an oligarchy?
(a) Rule by the military.
(b) Rule by the elite.
(c) Rule by the rich.
(d) Rule by the poor.
2. Socrates believes that the Sophists________________.
(a) Should be exiled on grounds of impiety.
(b) Have values worth learning from.
(c) Are evil imitators posing as philosophers.
(d) Are philosophers themselves.
3. From which poet does Polemarchus derive his definition of justice?
4. What does Cephalus say to Socrates about old age?
(a) Wisdom is not worth death.
(b) Old age is the same as youth, it just depends on one's perspective.
(c) Most people think it is a curse, but one can enjoy freedom from youth's passions.
(d) Aging takes the life out of one's body.
5. Why does Socrates discuss Asclepius' philosophy?
(a) His leadership is a good example of how not to lead.
(b) He has a practical approach of only treating patients whom he knows he can heal.
(c) His leadership is well established.
(d) He disagrees with Socrates about the ideal republic.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates, where would the republic's leaders live?
2. To illustrate one facet of his argument, Socrates employs the help of which character?
3. According to Socrates, what is the best form of government?
4. Though Glaucon is primarily concerned about justice within the individual, Socrates first begins by analyzing __________.
5. According to Socrates, what are the two ways of training the soul?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)