|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Socrates regard an oligarchy?
(a) Socrates asserts that an oligarchy is worse than a democracy.
(b) Socrates thinks that class divisions are crucial to the success of an oligarchy.
(c) Socrates thinks that oligarchy is the best form of government in all cases.
(d) Socrates claims that oligarchy is dangerous because it often leads to an impoverished public.
2. Socrates intends his imagined city to be taken as a symbolic model for__________.
(a) Collective consciousness.
(b) The natural animal kingdom.
(c) Justice personified.
(d) The individual soul.
3. When first asked by Socrates to define virtue, Meno responds with which of the following?
(a) A vague unassuming definition which is accepted by Socrates.
(b) A question, asking Socrates if this is really worth his time.
(c) Examples of virtuous people with different lifestyles.
(d) A theoretical ontology with ethical limitations on virtue.
4. Which one of the following scenarios, according to Socrates, would most likely give rise to a tyrannical government?
(a) A man, claiming to save the poor from the rich in a democracy, rising to power and being immediately corrupted by it.
(b) A merchant purchasing secret information about the government and using it to blackmail congress.
(c) A military lieutenant from within the general's ranks making a grab for power to control the timocracy.
(d) A hero completing a mythical quest which bestows immortality upon him.
5. What is the major point of Aristophanes' speech?
(a) Love is the desire for unity, because man and woman were once a unified being.
(b) Everything eventually dies, so it is pointless to love anything.
(c) Men loving woman is necessarily better than men loving men, because the former allows for procreation.
(d) Love is as complicated and confusing as good poetry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Socrates worried about literature which contains wayward characters?
2. In his first argument, Glaucon asserts that is better to __________.
3. According to Socrates, what is the best form of government?
4. Who is Socrates walking with when he is stopped by a group of men urging him to come to Cephalus' house?
5. Describe Meno's appearance and attitude when he meets Socrates.
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)