|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Socrates' ideal city, poets and soothsayers:
(a) Would be considered useless and expelled.
(b) Would be rich while the workers would be poor.
(c) Would not be allowed to speak falsely about the gods.
(d) Would lead religious ceremonies.
2. According to Socrates in <i>Book VII</i>, how many years must a philosopher work after finishing his education in order to become a ruler?
(a) Five years.
(b) One year.
(c) Thirty years.
(d) Fifteen years.
3. Before Socrates delivers his speech, he cross- examines Agathon about which of the following?
(a) Whether loves is necessarily possible.
(b) Whether love is necessarily beautiful.
(c) Agathon's poetic license.
(d) How one can know that he is truly in love.
4. In his discussion of education, Socrates says that arithmetic, geometry, and physics are worthwhile pursuits for which two groups of people?
(a) Philosophers and military generals.
(b) Traders and servants.
(c) Craftsmen and politicians.
(d) Philosophers and merchants.
5. What is the major point of Aristophanes' speech?
(a) Love is as complicated and confusing as good poetry.
(b) Men loving woman is necessarily better than men loving men, because the former allows for procreation.
(c) Everything eventually dies, so it is pointless to love anything.
(d) Love is the desire for unity, because man and woman were once a unified being.
Short Answer Questions
1. Socrates argues that the philosopher __________.
2. According to Socrates, what is the best form of government?
3. What are "the three"?
4. What definition of virtue do Meno and Socrates borrow from "the poets"?
5. According to Socrates' insinuation, artistic knowledge is characterized as which of the following?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)