|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Socrates' view of justice, a ruler should always:
(a) Put the interests of his people before himself.
(b) Strike injustice down with acts of injustice.
(c) Foster a combination of fear and loyalty within his subjects.
(d) Put his own interest before those of his people.
2. What must the philosopher, according to Socrates in Book VI, employ in order to attain knowledge of "absolute good"?
(a) Judgment against "absolute evil."
(b) Guessing and hoping he gets lucky.
(c) Public opinion of theoretical subjects.
(d) Hypotheses about what is good in the world.
3. Who is the last person to leave the symposium?
4. Socrates believes that the Sophists________________.
(a) Should be exiled on grounds of impiety.
(b) Have values worth learning from.
(c) Are evil imitators posing as philosophers.
(d) Are philosophers themselves.
5. Socrates concludes which of the following about virtue?
(a) If it manifests differently in different people, than it cannot have one definition.
(b) If it can be taught then it is knowledge.
(c) It cannot be taught and is therefore not knowledge.
(d) If it is the same in everyone, then we should be able to define it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a democracy?
2. How does Socrates rebut the definition of virtue offered by the poets?
3. When pressed by Socrates to explain his skill, Ion asserts which of the following?
4. Adeimantus interrupts Socrates in the beginning of Book VI to ask him ____________.
5. When he first meets Socrates, Meno asks the following question:
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)