|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates assert about his views of the ideal state?
(a) They will bring about the coming of a new empire.
(b) They are based on insidious accusations against the current ruling power.
(c) They are without flaw.
(d) They break certain established social norms.
2. From which poet does Polemarchus derive his definition of justice?
3. Socrates concludes which of the following about virtue?
(a) If it manifests differently in different people, than it cannot have one definition.
(b) If it can be taught then it is knowledge.
(c) If it is the same in everyone, then we should be able to define it.
(d) It cannot be taught and is therefore not knowledge.
4. Describe Meno's appearance and attitude when he meets Socrates.
(a) Young and handsome though impulsive and arrogant.
(b) Youthful, though ugly and shy.
(c) Middle- aged and curious.
(d) Old, thoughtful, and wise.
5. Though Glaucon is primarily concerned about justice within the individual, Socrates first begins by analyzing __________.
(a) Virtue as it is demanded of the city's leaders.
(b) Glaucon's own virtue.
(c) Justice as it relates to a small family.
(d) Justice as it relates to an entire city's population.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates in Book VII, how many years must a philosopher work after finishing his education in order to become a ruler?
2. In his discussion of education, Socrates says that arithmetic, geometry, and physics are worthwhile pursuits for which two groups of people?
3. What analogies does Socrates employ to refute Thrasymachus' position on justice?
4. How does Socrates refute Polemarchus' definition of justice?
5. In Book V, Socrates admits which of the following about his republic?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)