|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book VII Socrates weaves an analogy suggesting that the common man is like________.
(a) A starving beast, desperate for food.
(b) A chicken in a coop, about to be slaughtered.
(c) A prisoner in a cave looking at shadow puppets and thinking it's real life.
(d) A willow flapping in the wind.
2. What does Cephalus say to Socrates about old age?
(a) Most people think it is a curse, but one can enjoy freedom from youth's passions.
(b) Wisdom is not worth death.
(c) Old age is the same as youth, it just depends on one's perspective.
(d) Aging takes the life out of one's body.
3. Tyranny is most likely to occur under which form of government?
4. Who is Socrates walking with when he is stopped by a group of men urging him to come to Cephalus' house?
5. What is a democracy?
(a) Rule by the military.
(b) Rule by the elite.
(c) Rule by the poor.
(d) Rule by the rich.
Short Answer Questions
1. If led by true philosophers, Socrates argues that the republic would__________________.
2. As a consequence of misology, or a hatred of logic/reasoning, Socrates explains how the common man has trouble_________.
3. According to Socrates' view of justice, a ruler should always:
4. According to Socrates, what are the two ways of training the soul?
5. Socrates claims that he learned about love from which of the following?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)