|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Socrates defend the point that men and women are equal?
(a) Though men are physically stronger, women are emotionally stronger.
(b) Though they have different natures, they can perform the same tasks.
(c) Though they have different external organs, their internal ones are similar.
(d) Men need women to exist (and vice-versa), so man and woman are better regarded as parts of a whole rather than individuals.
2. According to Socrates, where would the republic's leaders live?
(a) In a palace in the country's largest city.
(b) Separately from the citizens.
(c) In the Academy.
(d) Among the citizens.
3. Socrates intends his imagined city to be taken as a symbolic model for__________.
(a) Collective consciousness.
(b) The natural animal kingdom.
(c) The individual soul.
(d) Justice personified.
4. To Socrates, government is best analogized as being similar to the human _________.
5. From which poet does Polemarchus derive his definition of justice?
Short Answer Questions
1. What must the philosopher, according to Socrates in Book VI, employ in order to attain knowledge of "absolute good"?
2. After a philosopher's formal education is complete in the Republic, what does Socrates' think is the next step in his training?
3. According to Socrates' view of justice, a ruler should always:
4. What does Socrates assert about his views of the ideal state?
5. Adeimantus interrupts Socrates in the beginning of Book VI to ask him ____________.
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)