|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a democracy?
(a) Rule by the elite.
(b) Rule by the poor.
(c) Rule by the military.
(d) Rule by the rich.
2. What assertion is made by Socrates when he responds to Adeimantus' point?
(a) Philosophers make the best rulers.
(b) True philosophers are more concerned with absolute truth to the opinion of the masses, and only Sophists are evil.
(c) Philosophy is neither an activity nor a profession, but a calling.
(d) Students become philosophers when they stop asking such questions.
3. Describe Thrasymachus' view of Socrates.
(a) He can't follow Socrates' logic.
(b) He chastizes Socrates for asking questions freely, but dodging them when he is asked a question himself.
(c) He likes the Socratic method of reasoning.
(d) He hates Socrates and thinks Socrates is stupid.
4. According to Socrates in Book VII, to what should all philosophers aspire?
(a) To know absolute truths in-and-of-themselves.
(b) To make their argument the strongest argument.
(c) To always disagree with each other.
(d) To know what's true for oneself.
5. When Ion admits to Socrates that he can only recite one poet's work well, Socrates is puzzled by which of the following?
(a) Ion's hesitation to answer questions about his family.
(b) How Ion considers himself a philosopher.
(c) How an artistic skill can be limited in its expertise.
(d) Ion's desire to speak with Socrates about his work.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Republic: Book III, Socrates is first concerned with:
2. Tyranny is most likely to occur under which form of government?
3. How does Socrates rebut the definition of virtue offered by the poets?
4. Who says, at the very end of Book II, "I completely endorse these patterns, and I would enact them as laws"?
5. What is a symposium?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)