|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Socrates' ideal city, poets and soothsayers:
(a) Would lead religious ceremonies.
(b) Would be rich while the workers would be poor.
(c) Would be considered useless and expelled.
(d) Would not be allowed to speak falsely about the gods.
2. In the beginning of <i>Book IV</i>, Adeimantus ask Socrates__________________.
(a) Why the city's soldiers should be deprived of material happiness.
(b) Why Socrates adopts such a strange view of medicine.
(c) When Socrates thinks it feasible for his city to exist.
(d) Where Socrates plans to get resources to build his city.
3. To Socrates, government is best analogized as being similar to the human _________.
4. According to Socrates' points in <i>Book IV</i>, the soul of a philosopher_____________________.
(a) Can be used for good and evil alike.
(b) Is better than the soul of a common man.
(c) Does not concern Socrates.
(d) Is easily persuadable.
5. Though Glaucon is primarily concerned about justice within the individual, Socrates first begins by analyzing __________.
(a) Justice as it relates to an entire city's population.
(b) Glaucon's own virtue.
(c) Justice as it relates to a small family.
(d) Virtue as it is demanded of the city's leaders.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cephalus say to Socrates about old age?
2. How does Thrasymachus first define justice?
3. What must the philosopher, according to Socrates in <i>Book VI</i>, employ in order to attain knowledge of "absolute good"?
4. According to Socrates in <i>Book VII</i>, to what should all philosophers aspire?
5. Which subject should be taught last in Socrates' curriculum?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)