|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To understand Ion's poetically inspired spirit, Socrates employs a metaphor of which of the following?
(a) An eye attempting to see itself, explaining how our mental visions are limited by the bounds of our brain.
(b) A dying animal to explain how the sole individual is part of a significant collective.
(c) A magnet to explain how a poet's inspiration moves from the muse to the audience.
(d) A newly born start to explain how small and insignificant our world is in the greater picture.
2. In order to respond to Glaucon's objections, Socrates ___________________.
(a) Analogizes justice to fine skills like woodworking and carpentry.
(b) Changes the subject completely.
(c) Posits an ideal city so that he might discover where justice comes from.
(d) Tries to find justice in animals before finding justice in humans.
3. What do Socrates' interlocutors object to in the beginning of Book V?
(a) They do not give Socrates any objections until later in the dialogue.
(b) All children and women should be shared (and raised) in common.
(c) Children must be born on the 7th of the month.
(d) All property would be owned by a family.
4. What types of stories, according to Socrates, ought we to read to children when they are very young?
(a) True ones with false elements.
(b) False ones (myths), with a true element.
(c) False ones (myths) that are not grounded in any truth.
(d) True ones with only true elements
5. Which one of the following scenarios, according to Socrates, would most likely give rise to a tyrannical government?
(a) A hero completing a mythical quest which bestows immortality upon him.
(b) A military lieutenant from within the general's ranks making a grab for power to control the timocracy.
(c) A man, claiming to save the poor from the rich in a democracy, rising to power and being immediately corrupted by it.
(d) A merchant purchasing secret information about the government and using it to blackmail congress.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates in Book VII, to what should all philosophers aspire?
2. What does Cephalus say to Socrates about old age?
3. Complete the comparison: philosophers have wisdom whereas common men have _______
4. What definition of virtue do Meno and Socrates borrow from "the poets"?
5. Describe Thrasymachus' view of Socrates.
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)