|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Describe Meno's appearance and attitude when he meets Socrates.
(a) Middle- aged and curious.
(b) Old, thoughtful, and wise.
(c) Youthful, though ugly and shy.
(d) Young and handsome though impulsive and arrogant.
2. One virtue that Socrates constantly refers to in his reasoning throughout Book III is_____________.
3. What poet is cited by Cephalus to explain the paradox of old age?
4. What are "the three"?
(a) The members of the dialogue.
(b) Religious temples in Socrates' ideal republic.
(c) The constitution of the city's government.
(d) The diagram that Socrates uses to prove the soul is immortal.
5. In his first argument, Glaucon asserts that is better to __________.
(a) Be just than appear just.
(b) Appear unjust than actually be just.
(c) Be unjust than appear unjust.
(d) Appear just than actually be just.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following ideas are not mentioned in Book VI?
2. Ion is renowned for his ability to recite which famous poet?
3. If led by true philosophers, Socrates argues that the republic would__________________.
4. As a consequence of misology, or a hatred of logic/reasoning, Socrates explains how the common man has trouble_________.
5. According to Socrates, to what does a true philosopher owe his life?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)