|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the last person to leave the symposium?
2. When Ion admits to Socrates that he can only recite one poet's work well, Socrates is puzzled by which of the following?
(a) How Ion considers himself a philosopher.
(b) How an artistic skill can be limited in its expertise.
(c) Ion's desire to speak with Socrates about his work.
(d) Ion's hesitation to answer questions about his family.
3. According to Socrates, where would the republic's leaders live?
(a) In the Academy.
(b) In a palace in the country's largest city.
(c) Separately from the citizens.
(d) Among the citizens.
4. Why does Glaucon continue conversing with Socrates?
(a) Because he is not satisfied with Socrates' response to Thrasymachus.
(b) Because he is convinced he can win an argument against Socrates.
(c) Because he agrees with Socrates that injustice is better than justice.
(d) Because he is provoked by Adeimantus to do so.
5. What analogies does Socrates employ to refute Thrasymachus' position on justice?
(a) He compares the skill of a leader to the respective skills of a doctor, house-builder, and sailor.
(b) He compares justice to food, both nourishing the soul.
(c) He compares a money-maker to a philosopher and a clergyman.
(d) He compares democracy to dictatorship and aristocracy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Socrates argues that laws are___________.
2. According to Socrates, what are the two ways of training the soul?
3. In the dialogue, Meno blames the confusion in his speech on which of the following?
4. Who is the character who narrates Symposium?
5. Glaucon offers Socrates a proof that ____________________.
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)