|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To illustrate one facet of his argument, Socrates employs the help of which character?
(a) Plato to clarify Socrates' words for a perplexed Meno.
(b) A nearby slave boy to whom he teaches simple geometry.
(c) Meno's wife.
(d) A nearby guard who speaks about virtuous people he knows.
2. When Cephalus tends to his sacrifice, who immediately takes his place in conversation with Socrates?
3. Which of the following does Socrates reason about Ion?
(a) Ion is sad when his crowds are sad and happy when his crowds are happy.
(b) Ion must be outside his mind when he recites poetry.
(c) Ion is a handsome, though misguided poet.
(d) Ion knows more than Socrates.
4. Which of the following does Socrates reason about poetry?
(a) Poetry was not meant to be read aloud.
(b) If poetry consists of statements which belong to other arts, then such "other arts" are actually one thing.
(c) A poem's content cannot belong to the one who recites it.
(d) A poem's content always belongs to the one who recites it.
5. In Socrates' ideal nation, literature which depicts the afterlife should depict it as___________.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates, where would the republic's leaders live?
2. In Socrates' republic, judges must__________.
3. How does Socrates refute Polemarchus' definition of justice?
4. Where is courage found in Socrates' republic?
5. What types of stories, according to Socrates, ought we to read to children when they are very young?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)