|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Meno arrives in Athens, who is accompanying him?
(a) A large group of slaves.
(b) Nobody, he is alone.
(c) His wife.
(d) A small militia unit.
2. Glaucon offers Socrates a proof that ____________________.
(a) An unjust lifestyle is more rewarding than a just one.
(b) Appearing unjust but actually being just is most desirable.
(c) A just life is better than a just one.
(d) Justice can't have a consistent definition.
3. Socrates argues that laws are___________.
(a) Rigid and static, unlike the people they control.
(b) Worthy formal pursuits.
(c) Affected by the flow of everyday life, and thus should not be formulated individually.
(d) Misguided because no one law holds true categorically.
4. What are "the three"?
(a) The constitution of the city's government.
(b) The diagram that Socrates uses to prove the soul is immortal.
(c) Religious temples in Socrates' ideal republic.
(d) The members of the dialogue.
5. In order to respond to Glaucon's objections, Socrates ___________________.
(a) Analogizes justice to fine skills like woodworking and carpentry.
(b) Changes the subject completely.
(c) Posits an ideal city so that he might discover where justice comes from.
(d) Tries to find justice in animals before finding justice in humans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said the following: "may not the art of which neither teachers nor disciples exist be assumed to be incapable of being taught?"
2. Who is Eryximachus?
3. How does Socrates rebut the definition of virtue offered by the poets?
4. One large theme that permeates throughout Meno is:
5. What definition of virtue do Meno and Socrates borrow from "the poets"?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)