|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the surprise visitor to the symposium, and why does he come?
(a) Alcibiades comes because he is drunk and wants to seduce Socrates.
(b) There is no surprise visitor.
(c) Aristotle arrives late because he traveled farther than the others.
(d) Appolodorus comes because he is angry he wasn't invited.
2. To understand Ion's poetically inspired spirit, Socrates employs a metaphor of which of the following?
(a) An eye attempting to see itself, explaining how our mental visions are limited by the bounds of our brain.
(b) A dying animal to explain how the sole individual is part of a significant collective.
(c) A newly born start to explain how small and insignificant our world is in the greater picture.
(d) A magnet to explain how a poet's inspiration moves from the muse to the audience.
3. To illustrate one facet of his argument, Socrates employs the help of which character?
(a) A nearby slave boy to whom he teaches simple geometry.
(b) Plato to clarify Socrates' words for a perplexed Meno.
(c) A nearby guard who speaks about virtuous people he knows.
(d) Meno's wife.
4. In Ion, Socrates compares Ion to which of the following?
(b) Greek artists and sculptors.
(c) Religious prophets.
5. Socrates intends his imagined city to be taken as a symbolic model for__________.
(a) Collective consciousness.
(b) The individual soul.
(c) Justice personified.
(d) The natural animal kingdom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives the last formal speech at the symposium?
2. When first asked by Socrates to define virtue, Meno responds with which of the following?
3. Why does Socrates discuss Asclepius' philosophy?
4. Who gives the first speech at the symposium?
5. What are the three social classes in the republic, according to Socrates?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)