|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What counter-example does Socrates employ as evidence that a state is flawed?
(a) Diplomats make more money than labors in problematic regions.
(b) Poor doctors exist where there are poor statesmen.
(c) "Rich" soldiers in other cities make poor soldiers and poor leaders.
(d) When innocent men are sentenced to death, a state is flawed.
2. To illustrate one facet of his argument, Socrates employs the help of which character?
(a) Meno's wife.
(b) A nearby slave boy to whom he teaches simple geometry.
(c) Plato to clarify Socrates' words for a perplexed Meno.
(d) A nearby guard who speaks about virtuous people he knows.
3. Who is Socrates walking with when he is stopped by a group of men urging him to come to Cephalus' house?
4. What is a symposium?
(a) A small club of Sophists.
(b) An all- night drinking party where various elite Greeks discuss the meaning of love.
(c) An outdoor gathering of philosophers near a nobleman's residence.
(d) An ancient restaurant.
5. What is the major point of Aristophanes' speech?
(a) Men loving woman is necessarily better than men loving men, because the former allows for procreation.
(b) Everything eventually dies, so it is pointless to love anything.
(c) Love is the desire for unity, because man and woman were once a unified being.
(d) Love is as complicated and confusing as good poetry.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates, the goal of his ideal city is__________________.
2. How does Dimotia characterize love?
3. How does Meno respond to Socrates' question: "Do bees differ as bees, because there are many different kinds of them; or, are they not rather to be distinguished by some other quality, as for example beauty, size, or shape?"
4. Ion is renowned for his ability to recite which famous poet?
5. Who is the last person to leave the symposium?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)