|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dimotia characterize love?
(a) Crude and deceitful, like the desire for immortality.
(b) Curious and enigmatic, like the Gods.
(c) Grounded and rational, like a mathematical equation.
(d) Beautiful and pure, like virtue or reason.
2. From which poet does Polemarchus derive his definition of justice?
3. According to Socrates' view of justice, a ruler should always:
(a) Strike injustice down with acts of injustice.
(b) Put the interests of his people before himself.
(c) Put his own interest before those of his people.
(d) Foster a combination of fear and loyalty within his subjects.
4. What is the major point of Aristophanes' speech?
(a) Everything eventually dies, so it is pointless to love anything.
(b) Love is as complicated and confusing as good poetry.
(c) Love is the desire for unity, because man and woman were once a unified being.
(d) Men loving woman is necessarily better than men loving men, because the former allows for procreation.
5. Why does Socrates discuss Asclepius' philosophy?
(a) His leadership is well established.
(b) His leadership is a good example of how not to lead.
(c) He has a practical approach of only treating patients whom he knows he can heal.
(d) He disagrees with Socrates about the ideal republic.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ion admits to Socrates that he can only recite one poet's work well, Socrates is puzzled by which of the following?
2. Why is Socrates worried about literature which contains wayward characters?
3. One virtue that Socrates constantly refers to in his reasoning throughout Book III is_____________.
4. In Socrates' republic, judges must__________.
5. In Republic: Book III, Socrates is first concerned with:
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)