|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Glaucon continue conversing with Socrates?
(a) Because he agrees with Socrates that injustice is better than justice.
(b) Because he is not satisfied with Socrates' response to Thrasymachus.
(c) Because he is convinced he can win an argument against Socrates.
(d) Because he is provoked by Adeimantus to do so.
2. Why is Socrates worried about literature which contains wayward characters?
(a) Socrates is not worried about such fictional characters.
(b) He wants every story for have a moral.
(c) Socrates hates fiction.
(d) He thinks that people will imitate such characters.
3. According to Socrates, what happens when "one [is] mistaken in his judgment, and harms his friends, and helps his enemies, unknowingly"?
(a) It doesn't matter; one would never do this.
(b) He is just.
(c) He is unjust.
(d) He claims to know justice, but doesn't.
4. One large theme that permeates throughout Meno is:
(a) There can never be universal ethics.
(b) A proposition can only be deemed valid if it is testable in the empirical world.
(c) Non- virtuous people can still perform virtuous actions
(d) Learning is really a recollection of old knowledge.
5. According to Socrates, what are the two ways of training the soul?
(a) Conversation with oneself and with others.
(b) Physical exercise and literary education.
(c) Religion and philosophy.
(d) Mediation and medicine.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates' insinuation, artistic knowledge is characterized as which of the following?
2. To illustrate one facet of his argument, Socrates employs the help of which character?
3. Describe Thrasymachus' view of Socrates.
4. Socrates intends his imagined city to be taken as a symbolic model for__________.
5. Who is the surprise visitor to the symposium, and why does he come?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)