|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What analogies does Socrates employ to refute Thrasymachus' position on justice?
(a) He compares democracy to dictatorship and aristocracy.
(b) He compares the skill of a leader to the respective skills of a doctor, house-builder, and sailor.
(c) He compares a money-maker to a philosopher and a clergyman.
(d) He compares justice to food, both nourishing the soul.
2. Who is Socrates walking with when he is stopped by a group of men urging him to come to Cephalus' house?
3. Who is the character who narrates Symposium?
4. According to Socrates, where would the republic's leaders live?
(a) Separately from the citizens.
(b) In a palace in the country's largest city.
(c) Among the citizens.
(d) In the Academy.
5. When pressed by Socrates to explain his skill, Ion asserts which of the following?
(a) When he recites poetry he feels like the poet himself.
(b) When he recites passage about military exploits he cannot tell if he does so with the candor of a general.
(c) Socrates should not be asking him questions.
(d) He is unqualified to comment on the artistic value of the his recitations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose side is Adeimantus on, at least in the beginning of the dialogue?
2. Who gives the last formal speech at the symposium?
3. In the dialogue, Meno blames the confusion in his speech on which of the following?
4. How does Dimotia characterize love?
5. Ion is renowned for his ability to recite which famous poet?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)