|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Polemarchus define justice?
(a) Doing good to one's friends and evil to one's enemies.
(b) Being fair in all contexts.
(c) Allowing each man to live his life freely.
(d) Stealing from the rich and giving to the poor.
2. In Socrates' ideal city, poets and soothsayers:
(a) Would be considered useless and expelled.
(b) Would be rich while the workers would be poor.
(c) Would lead religious ceremonies.
(d) Would not be allowed to speak falsely about the gods.
3. Describe Thrasymachus' view of Socrates.
(a) He chastizes Socrates for asking questions freely, but dodging them when he is asked a question himself.
(b) He hates Socrates and thinks Socrates is stupid.
(c) He can't follow Socrates' logic.
(d) He likes the Socratic method of reasoning.
4. At whose house does the Symposium take place?
5. One virtue that Socrates constantly refers to in his reasoning throughout Book III is_____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Ion, Socrates concludes that Ion's ability to memorize poetry is which of the following?
2. According to Socrates, what are the three parts of the soul?
3. In Ion, Socrates is concerned primarily with which of the following?
4. Who is Eryximachus?
5. Who is the surprise visitor to the symposium, and why does he come?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)