|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To illustrate one facet of his argument, Socrates employs the help of which character?
(a) Meno's wife.
(b) A nearby guard who speaks about virtuous people he knows.
(c) Plato to clarify Socrates' words for a perplexed Meno.
(d) A nearby slave boy to whom he teaches simple geometry.
2. What types of stories, according to Socrates, ought we to read to children when they are very young?
(a) False ones (myths), with a true element.
(b) True ones with only true elements
(c) True ones with false elements.
(d) False ones (myths) that are not grounded in any truth.
3. Who is the last person to leave the symposium?
4. Socrates argues that laws are___________.
(a) Worthy formal pursuits.
(b) Affected by the flow of everyday life, and thus should not be formulated individually.
(c) Rigid and static, unlike the people they control.
(d) Misguided because no one law holds true categorically.
5. In Ion, Socrates concludes that Ion's ability to memorize poetry is which of the following?
(a) Divinely inspired, just like the very poets whom Ion recites.
(b) Proof that he knows what it actually means.
(c) Not proof that he knows what it actually means.
(d) An art that he learned from others.
Short Answer Questions
1. What analogies does Socrates employ to refute Thrasymachus' position on justice?
2. Which demographic of the Athenian population does Socrates single out for discussion?
3. Who said the following: "may not the art of which neither teachers nor disciples exist be assumed to be incapable of being taught?"
4. Why does Socrates speak about dogs and other animals to Glaucon?
5. Where is wisdom found in Socrates' ideal republic?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)