|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In order to respond to Glaucon's objections, Socrates ___________________.
(a) Posits an ideal city so that he might discover where justice comes from.
(b) Analogizes justice to fine skills like woodworking and carpentry.
(c) Tries to find justice in animals before finding justice in humans.
(d) Changes the subject completely.
2. In the beginning of Book IV, Adeimantus ask Socrates__________________.
(a) Where Socrates plans to get resources to build his city.
(b) When Socrates thinks it feasible for his city to exist.
(c) Why Socrates adopts such a strange view of medicine.
(d) Why the city's soldiers should be deprived of material happiness.
3. In Ion, Socrates compares Ion to which of the following?
(a) Greek artists and sculptors.
(d) Religious prophets.
4. Socrates argues that laws are___________.
(a) Affected by the flow of everyday life, and thus should not be formulated individually.
(b) Misguided because no one law holds true categorically.
(c) Rigid and static, unlike the people they control.
(d) Worthy formal pursuits.
5. Which of the following does Socrates reason about Ion?
(a) Ion is sad when his crowds are sad and happy when his crowds are happy.
(b) Ion must be outside his mind when he recites poetry.
(c) Ion knows more than Socrates.
(d) Ion is a handsome, though misguided poet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe Meno's appearance and attitude when he meets Socrates.
2. Though Glaucon is primarily concerned about justice within the individual, Socrates first begins by analyzing __________.
3. Toward the end of Book IV Socrates weaves an analogy between________________.
4. Socrates claims that he learned about love from which of the following?
5. Whose side is Adeimantus on, at least in the beginning of the dialogue?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)