|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cephalus say to Socrates about old age?
(a) Aging takes the life out of one's body.
(b) Old age is the same as youth, it just depends on one's perspective.
(c) Wisdom is not worth death.
(d) Most people think it is a curse, but one can enjoy freedom from youth's passions.
2. How are leaders chosen in Socrates' ideal republic?
(a) They would all be the soldiers in training who appeared to love their city more than most.
(b) Every citizen would have equal access to political power.
(c) They would be elected by the common men.
(d) The richest members of the republic will lead it.
3. To which other creative art does Socrates propose censorship?
4. Who gives the first speech at the symposium?
5. One virtue that Socrates constantly refers to in his reasoning throughout Book III is_____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. When first asked by Socrates to define virtue, Meno responds with which of the following?
2. Who is Socrates walking with when he is stopped by a group of men urging him to come to Cephalus' house?
3. Who is the surprise visitor to the symposium, and why does he come?
4. When he first meets Socrates, Meno asks the following question:
5. What is a symposium?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)