|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Socrates, what happens when "one [is] mistaken in his judgment, and harms his friends, and helps his enemies, unknowingly"?
(a) He claims to know justice, but doesn't.
(b) He is unjust.
(c) He is just.
(d) It doesn't matter; one would never do this.
2. One virtue that Socrates constantly refers to in his reasoning throughout Book III is_____________.
3. Toward the end of Book IV Socrates weaves an analogy between________________.
(a) The individual and the city.
(b) Father and son.
(c) The citizen and the king.
(d) Heaven and hell.
4. Who is the last person to leave the symposium?
5. How does Socrates rebut the definition of virtue offered by the poets?
(a) By proving to Meno that there are many commonly held virtues.
(b) By giving Meno a solid definition of virtue.
(c) By instructing Meno that it is impossible to have an abstract entity which moves other things but does not move itself.
(d) By showing Meno that all men desire good things, but that not all men are virtuous.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is courage found in Socrates' republic?
2. In the dialogue, Meno blames the confusion in his speech on which of the following?
3. Glaucon offers Socrates a proof that ____________________.
4. How does Polemarchus define justice?
5. In his first argument, Glaucon asserts that is better to __________.
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)