|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the character who narrates Symposium?
2. In Republic: Book III, Socrates is first concerned with:
(a) Methods of practicing medicine.
(b) A citizens' revolt.
(c) The end of the world.
(d) The corruption of the youth.
3. Whose stories does Socrates think dangerous for the moral turpitude of his city's citizens?
(a) Aristotle's Poetics.
(b) Hesoid's Theogeny.
(c) Heretical poetry by Shakespeare and Ben Johnson.
(d) Various works by Pindar.
4. In Socrates' ideal city, poets and soothsayers:
(a) Would be rich while the workers would be poor.
(b) Would lead religious ceremonies.
(c) Would be considered useless and expelled.
(d) Would not be allowed to speak falsely about the gods.
5. Who is Socrates walking with when he is stopped by a group of men urging him to come to Cephalus' house?
Short Answer Questions
1. What counter-example does Socrates employ as evidence that a state is flawed?
2. Which of the following does Socrates reason about Ion?
3. In Ion, Socrates is concerned primarily with which of the following?
4. According to Socrates' insinuation, artistic knowledge is characterized as which of the following?
5. What are "the three"?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)