|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Thrasymachus first define justice?
(a) "Acting selflessly, so that the kingdom may prosper."
(b) "Being impartial and unbiased in all decisions."
(c) "Nothing other than the advantage of the stronger."
(d) "Making laws to one's own disadvantage."
2. According to Socrates, what happens when "one [is] mistaken in his judgment, and harms his friends, and helps his enemies, unknowingly"?
(a) He is just.
(b) He claims to know justice, but doesn't.
(c) He is unjust.
(d) It doesn't matter; one would never do this.
3. In Socrates' ideal city, poets and soothsayers:
(a) Would be rich while the workers would be poor.
(b) Would not be allowed to speak falsely about the gods.
(c) Would be considered useless and expelled.
(d) Would lead religious ceremonies.
4. In the beginning of <i>Book IV</i>, Adeimantus ask Socrates__________________.
(a) Why the city's soldiers should be deprived of material happiness.
(b) Where Socrates plans to get resources to build his city.
(c) Why Socrates adopts such a strange view of medicine.
(d) When Socrates thinks it feasible for his city to exist.
5. Where is courage found in Socrates' republic?
(a) In the labors who toil in the sun.
(b) In the lawyers and judges who fight injustice.
(c) In the soldiers who fight for it.
(d) In the academics who strive for truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. One virtue that Socrates constantly refers to in his reasoning throughout <i>Book III</i> is_____________.
2. How does Socrates rebut the definition of virtue offered by the poets?
3. In Socrates' republic, judges must__________.
4. When he first meets Socrates, Meno asks the following question:
5. When pressed by Socrates to explain his skill, Ion asserts which of the following?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)