|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the major point of Aristophanes' speech?
(a) Everything eventually dies, so it is pointless to love anything.
(b) Men loving woman is necessarily better than men loving men, because the former allows for procreation.
(c) Love is as complicated and confusing as good poetry.
(d) Love is the desire for unity, because man and woman were once a unified being.
2. By the end of Book IV Socrates has still not proved _______________.
(a) Justice manifests on earth.
(b) Laws affect the flow of life.
(c) Justice is preferable to injustice.
(d) Courage comes from education and fear comes from ignorance.
3. When pressed by Socrates to explain his skill, Ion asserts which of the following?
(a) He is unqualified to comment on the artistic value of the his recitations.
(b) When he recites poetry he feels like the poet himself.
(c) Socrates should not be asking him questions.
(d) When he recites passage about military exploits he cannot tell if he does so with the candor of a general.
4. According to Socrates' view of justice, a ruler should always:
(a) Put the interests of his people before himself.
(b) Foster a combination of fear and loyalty within his subjects.
(c) Strike injustice down with acts of injustice.
(d) Put his own interest before those of his people.
5. Who is Socrates walking with when he is stopped by a group of men urging him to come to Cephalus' house?
Short Answer Questions
1. Socrates concludes which of the following about virtue?
2. Before Socrates delivers his speech, he cross- examines Agathon about which of the following?
3. How does Socrates rebut the definition of virtue offered by the poets?
4. At whose house does the Symposium take place?
5. Socrates intends his imagined city to be taken as a symbolic model for__________.
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)