|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Socrates reason about Ion?
(a) Ion is a handsome, though misguided poet.
(b) Ion must be outside his mind when he recites poetry.
(c) Ion is sad when his crowds are sad and happy when his crowds are happy.
(d) Ion knows more than Socrates.
2. Who is the surprise visitor to the symposium, and why does he come?
(a) There is no surprise visitor.
(b) Appolodorus comes because he is angry he wasn't invited.
(c) Alcibiades comes because he is drunk and wants to seduce Socrates.
(d) Aristotle arrives late because he traveled farther than the others.
3. Whose side is Adeimantus on, at least in the beginning of the dialogue?
(a) He has his own distinct position.
(d) He does not advocate his own position, and he is on neither Glaucon's nor Socrates' side.
4. According to Socrates' insinuation, artistic knowledge is characterized as which of the following?
5. How does Dimotia characterize love?
(a) Curious and enigmatic, like the Gods.
(b) Beautiful and pure, like virtue or reason.
(c) Grounded and rational, like a mathematical equation.
(d) Crude and deceitful, like the desire for immortality.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives the first speech at the symposium?
2. Who is Eryximachus?
3. Describe Meno's appearance and attitude when he meets Socrates.
4. Toward the end of Book IV Socrates weaves an analogy between________________.
5. According to Socrates, what happens when "one [is] mistaken in his judgment, and harms his friends, and helps his enemies, unknowingly"?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)