|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Socrates meets Ion, Ion has just returned from which of the following?
(a) Agathon's drinking party.
(b) Socrates' trial.
(c) A game at the Coliseum.
(d) A poetry recital contest in Epidarus.
2. Describe Thrasymachus' view of Socrates.
(a) He can't follow Socrates' logic.
(b) He chastizes Socrates for asking questions freely, but dodging them when he is asked a question himself.
(c) He hates Socrates and thinks Socrates is stupid.
(d) He likes the Socratic method of reasoning.
3. What are the three social classes in the republic, according to Socrates?
(a) The rich, the poor, and the middle class.
(b) The working-class, the soldiers, and the rulers.
(c) The philosophers, the sophists, and the warriors.
(d) The leaders, the rebels, and everyone else.
4. Why does Socrates speak about dogs and other animals to Glaucon?
(a) In hopes of finding the source of virtue.
(b) To establish grounds for a society in which people function like animals in a natural kingdom.
(c) In order to show, by analogy, that it is difficult albeit not impossible to have people who are both gentle and aggressive.
(d) Socrates likes animals more than people.
5. According to Socrates, what are the two ways of training the soul?
(a) Mediation and medicine.
(b) Religion and philosophy.
(c) Conversation with oneself and with others.
(d) Physical exercise and literary education.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Socrates refute Polemarchus' definition of justice?
2. Which of the following does Socrates reason about Ion?
3. To understand Ion's poetically inspired spirit, Socrates employs a metaphor of which of the following?
4. One large theme that permeates throughout Meno is:
5. To which other creative art does Socrates propose censorship?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)