|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the character who narrates Symposium?
2. In Socrates' republic, judges must__________.
(a) Be good, but able to spot evil.
(b) Be completely removed from evil.
(c) Be fair and lax.
(d) Be fair and strict.
3. To which other creative art does Socrates propose censorship?
4. What is a symposium?
(a) An ancient restaurant.
(b) A small club of Sophists.
(c) An all- night drinking party where various elite Greeks discuss the meaning of love.
(d) An outdoor gathering of philosophers near a nobleman's residence.
5. Who said the following: "may not the art of which neither teachers nor disciples exist be assumed to be incapable of being taught?"
(c) The slave boy.
(d) Meno's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What poet is cited by Cephalus to explain the paradox of old age?
2. Why does Socrates discuss Asclepius' philosophy?
3. Whose stories does Socrates think dangerous for the moral turpitude of his city's citizens?
4. Ion is renowned for his ability to recite which famous poet?
5. Who is the surprise visitor to the symposium, and why does he come?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)