|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ion is renowned for his ability to recite which famous poet?
2. One virtue that Socrates constantly refers to in his reasoning throughout Book III is_____________.
3. To which other creative art does Socrates propose censorship?
4. Before Socrates delivers his speech, he cross- examines Agathon about which of the following?
(a) Agathon's poetic license.
(b) How one can know that he is truly in love.
(c) Whether loves is necessarily possible.
(d) Whether love is necessarily beautiful.
5. In Socrates' ideal nation, literature which depicts the afterlife should depict it as___________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Socrates discuss Asclepius' philosophy?
2. What definition of virtue do Meno and Socrates borrow from "the poets"?
3. What poet is cited by Cephalus to explain the paradox of old age?
4. Which of the following does Socrates reason about Ion?
5. Why does Glaucon continue conversing with Socrates?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)