|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Socrates' ideal city, poets and soothsayers:
(a) Would be rich while the workers would be poor.
(b) Would lead religious ceremonies.
(c) Would be considered useless and expelled.
(d) Would not be allowed to speak falsely about the gods.
2. What is the major point of Aristophanes' speech?
(a) Love is as complicated and confusing as good poetry.
(b) Men loving woman is necessarily better than men loving men, because the former allows for procreation.
(c) Love is the desire for unity, because man and woman were once a unified being.
(d) Everything eventually dies, so it is pointless to love anything.
3. When Socrates meets Ion, Ion has just returned from which of the following?
(a) Socrates' trial.
(b) A poetry recital contest in Epidarus.
(c) A game at the Coliseum.
(d) Agathon's drinking party.
4. What poet is cited by Cephalus to explain the paradox of old age?
5. Why does Socrates discuss Asclepius' philosophy?
(a) He disagrees with Socrates about the ideal republic.
(b) His leadership is well established.
(c) His leadership is a good example of how not to lead.
(d) He has a practical approach of only treating patients whom he knows he can heal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Socrates claims that he learned about love from which of the following?
2. At whose house does the Symposium take place?
3. What does Socrates tell Ion about a person who can recite poetry well?
4. Why is Socrates worried about literature which contains wayward characters?
5. In Ion, Socrates concludes that Ion's ability to memorize poetry is which of the following?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)