|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Glaucon continue conversing with Socrates?
(a) Because he agrees with Socrates that injustice is better than justice.
(b) Because he is convinced he can win an argument against Socrates.
(c) Because he is provoked by Adeimantus to do so.
(d) Because he is not satisfied with Socrates' response to Thrasymachus.
2. What types of stories, according to Socrates, ought we to read to children when they are very young?
(a) False ones (myths), with a true element.
(b) True ones with false elements.
(c) True ones with only true elements
(d) False ones (myths) that are not grounded in any truth.
3. Who is the surprise visitor to the symposium, and why does he come?
(a) Alcibiades comes because he is drunk and wants to seduce Socrates.
(b) There is no surprise visitor.
(c) Appolodorus comes because he is angry he wasn't invited.
(d) Aristotle arrives late because he traveled farther than the others.
4. What poet is cited by Cephalus to explain the paradox of old age?
5. In Socrates' republic, judges must__________.
(a) Be fair and lax.
(b) Be completely removed from evil.
(c) Be fair and strict.
(d) Be good, but able to spot evil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cephalus say to Socrates about old age?
2. To understand Ion's poetically inspired spirit, Socrates employs a metaphor of which of the following?
3. Who gives the last formal speech at the symposium?
4. One large theme that permeates throughout Meno is:
5. How does Thrasymachus first define justice?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)