|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Describe Thrasymachus' view of Socrates.
(a) He likes the Socratic method of reasoning.
(b) He can't follow Socrates' logic.
(c) He chastizes Socrates for asking questions freely, but dodging them when he is asked a question himself.
(d) He hates Socrates and thinks Socrates is stupid.
2. What does Socrates tell Ion about a person who can recite poetry well?
(a) Ion must not know the meaning of poetry if he just memorizes it.
(b) Memorizing poetry is a way of balancing the soul.
(c) Only a person who understands a poem's meaning could be a good reciter.
(d) Ion should memorize philosophy instead of poetry.
3. According to Socrates' insinuation, artistic knowledge is characterized as which of the following?
4. How does Polemarchus define justice?
(a) Doing good to one's friends and evil to one's enemies.
(b) Being fair in all contexts.
(c) Stealing from the rich and giving to the poor.
(d) Allowing each man to live his life freely.
5. From which poet does Polemarchus derive his definition of justice?
Short Answer Questions
1. What poet is cited by Cephalus to explain the paradox of old age?
2. In the dialogue, Meno blames the confusion in his speech on which of the following?
3. In Republic: Book III, Socrates is first concerned with:
4. What definition of virtue do Meno and Socrates borrow from "the poets"?
5. When Socrates meets Ion, Ion has just returned from which of the following?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)