|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Socrates claims that he learned about love from which of the following?
2. In Ion, Socrates is concerned primarily with which of the following?
(a) Distinguishing how we know things artistically from how we know things inspirationally.
(b) Ion's secret relationship with Agathon.
(c) Defining virtue by more than just examples of virtue.
(d) Proving that Ion is not as smart as he is.
3. When pressed by Socrates to explain his skill, Ion asserts which of the following?
(a) He is unqualified to comment on the artistic value of the his recitations.
(b) When he recites passage about military exploits he cannot tell if he does so with the candor of a general.
(c) Socrates should not be asking him questions.
(d) When he recites poetry he feels like the poet himself.
4. According to Socrates, what happens when "one [is] mistaken in his judgment, and harms his friends, and helps his enemies, unknowingly"?
(a) He is just.
(b) It doesn't matter; one would never do this.
(c) He claims to know justice, but doesn't.
(d) He is unjust.
5. What poet is cited by Cephalus to explain the paradox of old age?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Socrates discuss Asclepius' philosophy?
2. In order to respond to Glaucon's objections, Socrates ___________________.
3. One virtue that Socrates constantly refers to in his reasoning throughout Book III is_____________.
4. Glaucon offers Socrates a proof that ____________________.
5. In Socrates' republic, judges must__________.
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)