|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To which other creative art does Socrates propose censorship?
2. What does Cephalus say to Socrates about old age?
(a) Aging takes the life out of one's body.
(b) Most people think it is a curse, but one can enjoy freedom from youth's passions.
(c) Old age is the same as youth, it just depends on one's perspective.
(d) Wisdom is not worth death.
3. What poet is cited by Cephalus to explain the paradox of old age?
4. In Socrates' ideal city, poets and soothsayers:
(a) Would be rich while the workers would be poor.
(b) Would lead religious ceremonies.
(c) Would be considered useless and expelled.
(d) Would not be allowed to speak falsely about the gods.
5. Socrates concludes which of the following about virtue?
(a) It cannot be taught and is therefore not knowledge.
(b) If it is the same in everyone, then we should be able to define it.
(c) If it manifests differently in different people, than it cannot have one definition.
(d) If it can be taught then it is knowledge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Socrates intends his imagined city to be taken as a symbolic model for__________.
2. How does Socrates rebut the definition of virtue offered by the poets?
3. In his first argument, Glaucon asserts that is better to __________.
4. How does Polemarchus define justice?
5. Describe Thrasymachus' view of Socrates.
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)