|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cephalus say to Socrates about old age?
(a) Most people think it is a curse, but one can enjoy freedom from youth's passions.
(b) Old age is the same as youth, it just depends on one's perspective.
(c) Wisdom is not worth death.
(d) Aging takes the life out of one's body.
2. According to Socrates, what are the two ways of training the soul?
(a) Conversation with oneself and with others.
(b) Mediation and medicine.
(c) Religion and philosophy.
(d) Physical exercise and literary education.
3. Socrates claims that he learned about love from which of the following?
4. In his first argument, Glaucon asserts that is better to __________.
(a) Appear just than actually be just.
(b) Appear unjust than actually be just.
(c) Be just than appear just.
(d) Be unjust than appear unjust.
5. In Ion, Socrates compares Ion to which of the following?
(a) Religious prophets.
(c) Greek artists and sculptors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Glaucon continue conversing with Socrates?
2. In Socrates' republic, judges must__________.
3. According to Socrates, what happens when "one [is] mistaken in his judgment, and harms his friends, and helps his enemies, unknowingly"?
4. One large theme that permeates throughout Meno is:
5. Whose side is Adeimantus on, at least in the beginning of the dialogue?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)