|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In order to respond to Glaucon's objections, Socrates ___________________.
(a) Tries to find justice in animals before finding justice in humans.
(b) Posits an ideal city so that he might discover where justice comes from.
(c) Analogizes justice to fine skills like woodworking and carpentry.
(d) Changes the subject completely.
2. When Socrates meets Ion, Ion has just returned from which of the following?
(a) A game at the Coliseum.
(b) Socrates' trial.
(c) Agathon's drinking party.
(d) A poetry recital contest in Epidarus.
3. How does Meno respond to Socrates' question: "Do bees differ as bees, because there are many different kinds of them; or, are they not rather to be distinguished by some other quality, as for example beauty, size, or shape?"
(a) "I should answer that bees do not differ from one another, as bees."
(b) "I don't understand your question."
(c) "They're just bees. Who cares?"
(d) "I should say that bees must differ from one another, as bees."
4. From which poet does Polemarchus derive his definition of justice?
5. How does Socrates refute Polemarchus' definition of justice?
(a) Socrates shows Polemarchus that stealing from the rich is unjust.
(b) Socrates asserts that doing evil, even to an evil man, makes the doer unjust.
(c) Socrates shows Polemarchus that every man is intrinsically free, regardless of the law.
(d) Socrates reasons that it is impossible to determine what is fair in every situation.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates, what happens when "one [is] mistaken in his judgment, and harms his friends, and helps his enemies, unknowingly"?
2. Who said the following: "may not the art of which neither teachers nor disciples exist be assumed to be incapable of being taught?"
3. Why does Glaucon continue conversing with Socrates?
4. Ion is renowned for his ability to recite which famous poet?
5. Which of the following does Socrates reason about Ion?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)