|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his first argument, Glaucon asserts that is better to __________.
(a) Appear just than actually be just.
(b) Appear unjust than actually be just.
(c) Be unjust than appear unjust.
(d) Be just than appear just.
2. In Socrates' ideal city, poets and soothsayers:
(a) Would not be allowed to speak falsely about the gods.
(b) Would be rich while the workers would be poor.
(c) Would lead religious ceremonies.
(d) Would be considered useless and expelled.
3. What does Socrates tell Ion about a person who can recite poetry well?
(a) Ion should memorize philosophy instead of poetry.
(b) Memorizing poetry is a way of balancing the soul.
(c) Only a person who understands a poem's meaning could be a good reciter.
(d) Ion must not know the meaning of poetry if he just memorizes it.
4. Who is the last person to leave the symposium?
5. Who says, at the very end of Book II, "I completely endorse these patterns, and I would enact them as laws"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Socrates reason about Ion?
2. Before Socrates delivers his speech, he cross- examines Agathon about which of the following?
3. To understand Ion's poetically inspired spirit, Socrates employs a metaphor of which of the following?
4. In the dialogue, Meno blames the confusion in his speech on which of the following?
5. In Ion, Socrates concludes that Ion's ability to memorize poetry is which of the following?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)