|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives the last formal speech at the symposium?
2. At whose house does the Symposium take place?
3. In Ion, Socrates concludes that Ion's ability to memorize poetry is which of the following?
(a) An art that he learned from others.
(b) Not proof that he knows what it actually means.
(c) Proof that he knows what it actually means.
(d) Divinely inspired, just like the very poets whom Ion recites.
4. How does Socrates refute Polemarchus' definition of justice?
(a) Socrates shows Polemarchus that every man is intrinsically free, regardless of the law.
(b) Socrates shows Polemarchus that stealing from the rich is unjust.
(c) Socrates reasons that it is impossible to determine what is fair in every situation.
(d) Socrates asserts that doing evil, even to an evil man, makes the doer unjust.
5. Who is Asclepius?
(a) A tyrant who reigns over his people.
(b) A ruler who looks kindly among his subjects.
(c) A doctor who gave simple and quick treatments to his patients.
(d) A philosopher who offers a competing argument.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Socrates delivers his speech, he cross- examines Agathon about which of the following?
2. How does Thrasymachus first define justice?
3. In Ion, Socrates is concerned primarily with which of the following?
4. In the dialogue, Meno blames the confusion in his speech on which of the following?
5. Who says, at the very end of Book II, "I completely endorse these patterns, and I would enact them as laws"?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)