|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives the last formal speech at the symposium?
2. When pressed by Socrates to explain his skill, Ion asserts which of the following?
(a) When he recites poetry he feels like the poet himself.
(b) Socrates should not be asking him questions.
(c) He is unqualified to comment on the artistic value of the his recitations.
(d) When he recites passage about military exploits he cannot tell if he does so with the candor of a general.
3. When Cephalus tends to his sacrifice, who immediately takes his place in conversation with Socrates?
4. How does Thrasymachus first define justice?
(a) "Acting selflessly, so that the kingdom may prosper."
(b) "Being impartial and unbiased in all decisions."
(c) "Making laws to one's own disadvantage."
(d) "Nothing other than the advantage of the stronger."
5. What types of stories, according to Socrates, ought we to read to children when they are very young?
(a) True ones with only true elements
(b) False ones (myths) that are not grounded in any truth.
(c) False ones (myths), with a true element.
(d) True ones with false elements.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he first meets Socrates, Meno asks the following question:
2. Who is the surprise visitor to the symposium, and why does he come?
3. Who is the character who narrates Symposium?
4. According to Socrates, where would the republic's leaders live?
5. According to Socrates' view of justice, a ruler should always:
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)