|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which demographic of the Athenian population does Socrates single out for discussion?
(a) The sophists.
(b) The soldiers.
(c) The lawyers.
(d) The citizens.
2. What is a symposium?
(a) An all- night drinking party where various elite Greeks discuss the meaning of love.
(b) A small club of Sophists.
(c) An outdoor gathering of philosophers near a nobleman's residence.
(d) An ancient restaurant.
3. In Socrates' ideal nation, literature which depicts the afterlife should depict it as___________.
4. Which of the following does Socrates reason about Ion?
(a) Ion must be outside his mind when he recites poetry.
(b) Ion is a handsome, though misguided poet.
(c) Ion knows more than Socrates.
(d) Ion is sad when his crowds are sad and happy when his crowds are happy.
5. To understand Ion's poetically inspired spirit, Socrates employs a metaphor of which of the following?
(a) A magnet to explain how a poet's inspiration moves from the muse to the audience.
(b) An eye attempting to see itself, explaining how our mental visions are limited by the bounds of our brain.
(c) A dying animal to explain how the sole individual is part of a significant collective.
(d) A newly born start to explain how small and insignificant our world is in the greater picture.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates' view of justice, a ruler should always:
2. Ion is renowned for his ability to recite which famous poet?
3. Why does Socrates speak about dogs and other animals to Glaucon?
4. In Socrates' republic, judges must__________.
5. To which other creative art does Socrates propose censorship?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)