|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates tell Ion about a person who can recite poetry well?
(a) Ion must not know the meaning of poetry if he just memorizes it.
(b) Memorizing poetry is a way of balancing the soul.
(c) Ion should memorize philosophy instead of poetry.
(d) Only a person who understands a poem's meaning could be a good reciter.
2. In Socrates' ideal nation, literature which depicts the afterlife should depict it as___________.
3. Whose stories does Socrates think dangerous for the moral turpitude of his city's citizens?
(a) Aristotle's <i>Poetics</i>.
(b) Hesoid's <i>Theogeny</i>.
(c) Heretical poetry by Shakespeare and Ben Johnson.
(d) Various works by Pindar.
4. To which other creative art does Socrates propose censorship?
5. At whose house does the Symposium take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. In <i>Ion</i>, Socrates is concerned primarily with which of the following?
2. What definition of virtue do Meno and Socrates borrow from "the poets"?
3. In Socrates' ideal city, poets and soothsayers:
4. In <i>Ion</i>, Socrates concludes that Ion's ability to memorize poetry is which of the following?
5. Who is the surprise visitor to the symposium, and why does he come?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)