|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Socrates concludes which of the following about virtue?
(a) If it is the same in everyone, then we should be able to define it.
(b) It cannot be taught and is therefore not knowledge.
(c) If it can be taught then it is knowledge.
(d) If it manifests differently in different people, than it cannot have one definition.
2. What does Socrates tell Ion about a person who can recite poetry well?
(a) Ion must not know the meaning of poetry if he just memorizes it.
(b) Ion should memorize philosophy instead of poetry.
(c) Only a person who understands a poem's meaning could be a good reciter.
(d) Memorizing poetry is a way of balancing the soul.
3. In Socrates' ideal nation, literature which depicts the afterlife should depict it as___________.
4. What is the major point of Aristophanes' speech?
(a) Love is the desire for unity, because man and woman were once a unified being.
(b) Love is as complicated and confusing as good poetry.
(c) Everything eventually dies, so it is pointless to love anything.
(d) Men loving woman is necessarily better than men loving men, because the former allows for procreation.
5. According to Socrates, where would the republic's leaders live?
(a) Among the citizens.
(b) In a palace in the country's largest city.
(c) Separately from the citizens.
(d) In the Academy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Glaucon continue conversing with Socrates?
2. Though Glaucon is primarily concerned about justice within the individual, Socrates first begins by analyzing __________.
3. According to Socrates' view of justice, a ruler should always:
4. What poet is cited by Cephalus to explain the paradox of old age?
5. When Ion admits to Socrates that he can only recite one poet's work well, Socrates is puzzled by which of the following?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)