|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What definition of virtue do Meno and Socrates borrow from "the poets"?
(a) Virtue, like other abstract notions, resists our best attempts to define it.
(b) Virtue is different for every person.
(c) Virtue is the unmoved mover of all things.
(d) Virtue is the desire and power to obtain good things.
2. Who is Eryximachus?
(a) The last speaker and surprise guest at the symposium.
(b) A poet who argues that men and woman were once fused beings.
(c) A philosopher who attacks Pausanias' postion.
(d) A doctor who argues that love is like a medicine curing life's ailments.
3. When Socrates meets Ion, Ion has just returned from which of the following?
(a) Socrates' trial.
(b) A poetry recital contest in Epidarus.
(c) Agathon's drinking party.
(d) A game at the Coliseum.
4. In Republic: Book III, Socrates is first concerned with:
(a) The end of the world.
(b) A citizens' revolt.
(c) Methods of practicing medicine.
(d) The corruption of the youth.
5. In order to respond to Glaucon's objections, Socrates ___________________.
(a) Tries to find justice in animals before finding justice in humans.
(b) Changes the subject completely.
(c) Posits an ideal city so that he might discover where justice comes from.
(d) Analogizes justice to fine skills like woodworking and carpentry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the last person to leave the symposium?
2. When Cephalus tends to his sacrifice, who immediately takes his place in conversation with Socrates?
3. In Socrates' republic, judges must__________.
4. Who is Asclepius?
5. According to Socrates' insinuation, artistic knowledge is characterized as which of the following?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)