|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When pressed by Socrates to explain his skill, Ion asserts which of the following?
(a) When he recites passage about military exploits he cannot tell if he does so with the candor of a general.
(b) Socrates should not be asking him questions.
(c) He is unqualified to comment on the artistic value of the his recitations.
(d) When he recites poetry he feels like the poet himself.
2. When first asked by Socrates to define virtue, Meno responds with which of the following?
(a) A theoretical ontology with ethical limitations on virtue.
(b) A question, asking Socrates if this is really worth his time.
(c) Examples of virtuous people with different lifestyles.
(d) A vague unassuming definition which is accepted by Socrates.
3. According to Socrates, where would the republic's leaders live?
(a) Separately from the citizens.
(b) Among the citizens.
(c) In the Academy.
(d) In a palace in the country's largest city.
4. Who is Socrates walking with when he is stopped by a group of men urging him to come to Cephalus' house?
5. At whose house does the Symposium take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Ion, Socrates compares Ion to which of the following?
2. According to Socrates' view of justice, a ruler should always:
3. Glaucon offers Socrates a proof that ____________________.
4. According to Socrates, what are the two ways of training the soul?
5. How does Polemarchus define justice?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)