|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Socrates reason about poetry?
(a) Poetry was not meant to be read aloud.
(b) A poem's content always belongs to the one who recites it.
(c) If poetry consists of statements which belong to other arts, then such "other arts" are actually one thing.
(d) A poem's content cannot belong to the one who recites it.
2. How does Meno respond to Socrates' question: "Do bees differ as bees, because there are many different kinds of them; or, are they not rather to be distinguished by some other quality, as for example beauty, size, or shape?"
(a) "They're just bees. Who cares?"
(b) "I should answer that bees do not differ from one another, as bees."
(c) "I should say that bees must differ from one another, as bees."
(d) "I don't understand your question."
3. What does Socrates tell Ion about a person who can recite poetry well?
(a) Memorizing poetry is a way of balancing the soul.
(b) Ion must not know the meaning of poetry if he just memorizes it.
(c) Ion should memorize philosophy instead of poetry.
(d) Only a person who understands a poem's meaning could be a good reciter.
4. Who said the following: "may not the art of which neither teachers nor disciples exist be assumed to be incapable of being taught?"
(a) The slave boy.
(c) Meno's wife.
5. Who is the last person to leave the symposium?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives the last formal speech at the symposium?
2. Ion is renowned for his ability to recite which famous poet?
3. What poet is cited by Cephalus to explain the paradox of old age?
4. From which poet does Polemarchus derive his definition of justice?
5. Who is the character who narrates Symposium?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)