|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Thrasymachus first define justice?
(a) "Acting selflessly, so that the kingdom may prosper."
(b) "Making laws to one's own disadvantage."
(c) "Nothing other than the advantage of the stronger."
(d) "Being impartial and unbiased in all decisions."
2. Who is Eryximachus?
(a) A poet who argues that men and woman were once fused beings.
(b) A doctor who argues that love is like a medicine curing life's ailments.
(c) A philosopher who attacks Pausanias' postion.
(d) The last speaker and surprise guest at the symposium.
3. At whose house does the Symposium take place?
4. One large theme that permeates throughout Meno is:
(a) Non- virtuous people can still perform virtuous actions
(b) There can never be universal ethics.
(c) A proposition can only be deemed valid if it is testable in the empirical world.
(d) Learning is really a recollection of old knowledge.
5. What poet is cited by Cephalus to explain the paradox of old age?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Cephalus tends to his sacrifice, who immediately takes his place in conversation with Socrates?
2. When pressed by Socrates to explain his skill, Ion asserts which of the following?
3. Who said the following: "may not the art of which neither teachers nor disciples exist be assumed to be incapable of being taught?"
4. To illustrate one facet of his argument, Socrates employs the help of which character?
5. Describe Meno's appearance and attitude when he meets Socrates.
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)