|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To illustrate one facet of his argument, Socrates employs the help of which character?
(a) A nearby guard who speaks about virtuous people he knows.
(b) A nearby slave boy to whom he teaches simple geometry.
(c) Plato to clarify Socrates' words for a perplexed Meno.
(d) Meno's wife.
2. Describe Meno's appearance and attitude when he meets Socrates.
(a) Young and handsome though impulsive and arrogant.
(b) Old, thoughtful, and wise.
(c) Youthful, though ugly and shy.
(d) Middle- aged and curious.
3. According to Socrates, what happens when "one [is] mistaken in his judgment, and harms his friends, and helps his enemies, unknowingly"?
(a) He claims to know justice, but doesn't.
(b) It doesn't matter; one would never do this.
(c) He is just.
(d) He is unjust.
4. Who said the following: "may not the art of which neither teachers nor disciples exist be assumed to be incapable of being taught?"
(a) The slave boy.
(b) Meno's wife.
5. What does Socrates tell Ion about a person who can recite poetry well?
(a) Only a person who understands a poem's meaning could be a good reciter.
(b) Ion must not know the meaning of poetry if he just memorizes it.
(c) Ion should memorize philosophy instead of poetry.
(d) Memorizing poetry is a way of balancing the soul.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Ion, Socrates compares Ion to which of the following?
2. From which poet does Polemarchus derive his definition of justice?
3. What is the major point of Aristophanes' speech?
4. Who is the surprise visitor to the symposium, and why does he come?
5. In Ion, Socrates is concerned primarily with which of the following?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)