|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Ion, Socrates compares Ion to which of the following?
(a) Religious prophets.
(b) Greek artists and sculptors.
2. What is a symposium?
(a) An outdoor gathering of philosophers near a nobleman's residence.
(b) An all- night drinking party where various elite Greeks discuss the meaning of love.
(c) An ancient restaurant.
(d) A small club of Sophists.
3. According to Socrates' insinuation, artistic knowledge is characterized as which of the following?
4. Who gives the last formal speech at the symposium?
5. Which of the following does Socrates reason about poetry?
(a) A poem's content always belongs to the one who recites it.
(b) Poetry was not meant to be read aloud.
(c) A poem's content cannot belong to the one who recites it.
(d) If poetry consists of statements which belong to other arts, then such "other arts" are actually one thing.
Short Answer Questions
1. One large theme that permeates throughout Meno is:
2. What poet is cited by Cephalus to explain the paradox of old age?
3. Who is the last person to leave the symposium?
4. To illustrate one facet of his argument, Socrates employs the help of which character?
5. Describe Thrasymachus' view of Socrates.
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)