|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Socrates walking with when he is stopped by a group of men urging him to come to Cephalus' house?
2. Socrates claims that he learned about love from which of the following?
3. In Ion, Socrates compares Ion to which of the following?
(c) Greek artists and sculptors.
(d) Religious prophets.
4. How does Socrates refute Polemarchus' definition of justice?
(a) Socrates shows Polemarchus that every man is intrinsically free, regardless of the law.
(b) Socrates asserts that doing evil, even to an evil man, makes the doer unjust.
(c) Socrates shows Polemarchus that stealing from the rich is unjust.
(d) Socrates reasons that it is impossible to determine what is fair in every situation.
5. To illustrate one facet of his argument, Socrates employs the help of which character?
(a) Plato to clarify Socrates' words for a perplexed Meno.
(b) Meno's wife.
(c) A nearby guard who speaks about virtuous people he knows.
(d) A nearby slave boy to whom he teaches simple geometry.
Short Answer Questions
1. When first asked by Socrates to define virtue, Meno responds with which of the following?
2. How does Thrasymachus first define justice?
3. According to Socrates, what happens when "one [is] mistaken in his judgment, and harms his friends, and helps his enemies, unknowingly"?
4. In Ion, Socrates concludes that Ion's ability to memorize poetry is which of the following?
5. To understand Ion's poetically inspired spirit, Socrates employs a metaphor of which of the following?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)