|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What poet is cited by Cephalus to explain the paradox of old age?
2. At whose house does the Symposium take place?
3. What analogies does Socrates employ to refute Thrasymachus' position on justice?
(a) He compares the skill of a leader to the respective skills of a doctor, house-builder, and sailor.
(b) He compares justice to food, both nourishing the soul.
(c) He compares a money-maker to a philosopher and a clergyman.
(d) He compares democracy to dictatorship and aristocracy.
4. When Meno arrives in Athens, who is accompanying him?
(a) Nobody, he is alone.
(b) His wife.
(c) A large group of slaves.
(d) A small militia unit.
5. When he first meets Socrates, Meno asks the following question:
(a) How do we know if what we are seeing in the physical world actually exists?
(b) Is justice necessarily a good thing?
(c) Where he can learn how to be a philosopher?
(d) Is virtue taught, or is it inherent to good people?
Short Answer Questions
1. In <i>Ion</i>, Socrates concludes that Ion's ability to memorize poetry is which of the following?
2. Who is Eryximachus?
3. In <i>Ion</i>, Socrates is concerned primarily with which of the following?
4. Describe Thrasymachus' view of Socrates.
5. To understand Ion's poetically inspired spirit, Socrates employs a metaphor of which of the following?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)