|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the last person to leave the symposium?
2. How does Thrasymachus first define justice?
(a) "Acting selflessly, so that the kingdom may prosper."
(b) "Being impartial and unbiased in all decisions."
(c) "Nothing other than the advantage of the stronger."
(d) "Making laws to one's own disadvantage."
3. When first asked by Socrates to define virtue, Meno responds with which of the following?
(a) A theoretical ontology with ethical limitations on virtue.
(b) A vague unassuming definition which is accepted by Socrates.
(c) A question, asking Socrates if this is really worth his time.
(d) Examples of virtuous people with different lifestyles.
4. Which of the following does Socrates reason about poetry?
(a) A poem's content cannot belong to the one who recites it.
(b) If poetry consists of statements which belong to other arts, then such "other arts" are actually one thing.
(c) Poetry was not meant to be read aloud.
(d) A poem's content always belongs to the one who recites it.
5. What is a symposium?
(a) An outdoor gathering of philosophers near a nobleman's residence.
(b) A small club of Sophists.
(c) An all- night drinking party where various elite Greeks discuss the meaning of love.
(d) An ancient restaurant.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates, what happens when "one [is] mistaken in his judgment, and harms his friends, and helps his enemies, unknowingly"?
2. What poet is cited by Cephalus to explain the paradox of old age?
3. When Socrates meets Ion, Ion has just returned from which of the following?
4. Describe Meno's appearance and attitude when he meets Socrates.
5. When he first meets Socrates, Meno asks the following question:
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)