|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Eryximachus?
(a) A poet who argues that men and woman were once fused beings.
(b) A philosopher who attacks Pausanias' postion.
(c) A doctor who argues that love is like a medicine curing life's ailments.
(d) The last speaker and surprise guest at the symposium.
2. How does Dimotia characterize love?
(a) Crude and deceitful, like the desire for immortality.
(b) Curious and enigmatic, like the Gods.
(c) Beautiful and pure, like virtue or reason.
(d) Grounded and rational, like a mathematical equation.
3. Who said the following: "may not the art of which neither teachers nor disciples exist be assumed to be incapable of being taught?"
(c) Meno's wife.
(d) The slave boy.
4. Who is the character who narrates Symposium?
5. When first asked by Socrates to define virtue, Meno responds with which of the following?
(a) A vague unassuming definition which is accepted by Socrates.
(b) A theoretical ontology with ethical limitations on virtue.
(c) A question, asking Socrates if this is really worth his time.
(d) Examples of virtuous people with different lifestyles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the major point of Aristophanes' speech?
2. Who is Socrates walking with when he is stopped by a group of men urging him to come to Cephalus' house?
3. To illustrate one facet of his argument, Socrates employs the help of which character?
4. How does Socrates refute Polemarchus' definition of justice?
5. When Cephalus tends to his sacrifice, who immediately takes his place in conversation with Socrates?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)