|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the dialogue, Meno blames the confusion in his speech on which of the following?
(a) Himself, because he has not had ample time to prepare for a deep conversation.
(b) Socrates, because Socrates is deliberately confusing Meno about a subject which Meno thought he knew.
(c) Himself, because he does not think himself a good exemplar of what virtue is.
(d) Socrates, because Socrates is not listening to Meno's points.
2. Describe Thrasymachus' view of Socrates.
(a) He hates Socrates and thinks Socrates is stupid.
(b) He likes the Socratic method of reasoning.
(c) He can't follow Socrates' logic.
(d) He chastizes Socrates for asking questions freely, but dodging them when he is asked a question himself.
3. Socrates claims that he learned about love from which of the following?
4. In <i>Ion</i>, Socrates is concerned primarily with which of the following?
(a) Defining virtue by more than just examples of virtue.
(b) Ion's secret relationship with Agathon.
(c) Proving that Ion is not as smart as he is.
(d) Distinguishing how we know things artistically from how we know things inspirationally.
5. According to Socrates, what happens when "one [is] mistaken in his judgment, and harms his friends, and helps his enemies, unknowingly"?
(a) It doesn't matter; one would never do this.
(b) He is just.
(c) He is unjust.
(d) He claims to know justice, but doesn't.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Polemarchus define justice?
2. Who is the last person to leave the symposium?
3. When Socrates meets Ion, Ion has just returned from which of the following?
4. Who gives the first speech at the symposium?
5. Which of the following does Socrates reason about poetry?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)