|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Socrates reason about poetry?
(a) Poetry was not meant to be read aloud.
(b) A poem's content cannot belong to the one who recites it.
(c) If poetry consists of statements which belong to other arts, then such "other arts" are actually one thing.
(d) A poem's content always belongs to the one who recites it.
2. How does Dimotia characterize love?
(a) Crude and deceitful, like the desire for immortality.
(b) Curious and enigmatic, like the Gods.
(c) Grounded and rational, like a mathematical equation.
(d) Beautiful and pure, like virtue or reason.
3. Socrates concludes which of the following about virtue?
(a) If it can be taught then it is knowledge.
(b) If it manifests differently in different people, than it cannot have one definition.
(c) If it is the same in everyone, then we should be able to define it.
(d) It cannot be taught and is therefore not knowledge.
4. To illustrate one facet of his argument, Socrates employs the help of which character?
(a) A nearby guard who speaks about virtuous people he knows.
(b) Meno's wife.
(c) A nearby slave boy to whom he teaches simple geometry.
(d) Plato to clarify Socrates' words for a perplexed Meno.
5. When he first meets Socrates, Meno asks the following question:
(a) Is virtue taught, or is it inherent to good people?
(b) How do we know if what we are seeing in the physical world actually exists?
(c) Is justice necessarily a good thing?
(d) Where he can learn how to be a philosopher?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Ion, Socrates is concerned primarily with which of the following?
2. How does Thrasymachus first define justice?
3. Who said the following: "may not the art of which neither teachers nor disciples exist be assumed to be incapable of being taught?"
4. What is the major point of Aristophanes' speech?
5. When first asked by Socrates to define virtue, Meno responds with which of the following?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)