|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Describe Thrasymachus' view of Socrates.
(a) He hates Socrates and thinks Socrates is stupid.
(b) He chastizes Socrates for asking questions freely, but dodging them when he is asked a question himself.
(c) He can't follow Socrates' logic.
(d) He likes the Socratic method of reasoning.
2. In Ion, Socrates compares Ion to which of the following?
(b) Greek artists and sculptors.
(d) Religious prophets.
3. Who is the character who narrates Symposium?
4. From which poet does Polemarchus derive his definition of justice?
5. How does Socrates rebut the definition of virtue offered by the poets?
(a) By showing Meno that all men desire good things, but that not all men are virtuous.
(b) By proving to Meno that there are many commonly held virtues.
(c) By giving Meno a solid definition of virtue.
(d) By instructing Meno that it is impossible to have an abstract entity which moves other things but does not move itself.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Thrasymachus first define justice?
2. To understand Ion's poetically inspired spirit, Socrates employs a metaphor of which of the following?
3. What is a symposium?
4. What does Cephalus say to Socrates about old age?
5. In Ion, Socrates concludes that Ion's ability to memorize poetry is which of the following?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)