|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Socrates walking with when he is stopped by a group of men urging him to come to Cephalus' house?
2. To illustrate one facet of his argument, Socrates employs the help of which character?
(a) A nearby slave boy to whom he teaches simple geometry.
(b) Meno's wife.
(c) Plato to clarify Socrates' words for a perplexed Meno.
(d) A nearby guard who speaks about virtuous people he knows.
3. When Ion admits to Socrates that he can only recite one poet's work well, Socrates is puzzled by which of the following?
(a) Ion's desire to speak with Socrates about his work.
(b) Ion's hesitation to answer questions about his family.
(c) How Ion considers himself a philosopher.
(d) How an artistic skill can be limited in its expertise.
4. Socrates claims that he learned about love from which of the following?
5. According to Socrates' view of justice, a ruler should always:
(a) Put the interests of his people before himself.
(b) Foster a combination of fear and loyalty within his subjects.
(c) Strike injustice down with acts of injustice.
(d) Put his own interest before those of his people.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Socrates rebut the definition of virtue offered by the poets?
2. From which poet does Polemarchus derive his definition of justice?
3. Which of the following does Socrates reason about poetry?
4. One large theme that permeates throughout Meno is:
5. How does Socrates refute Polemarchus' definition of justice?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)