|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Meno arrives in Athens, who is accompanying him?
(a) A large group of slaves.
(b) His wife.
(c) A small militia unit.
(d) Nobody, he is alone.
2. Who is Eryximachus?
(a) A poet who argues that men and woman were once fused beings.
(b) The last speaker and surprise guest at the symposium.
(c) A philosopher who attacks Pausanias' postion.
(d) A doctor who argues that love is like a medicine curing life's ailments.
3. According to Socrates, what happens when "one [is] mistaken in his judgment, and harms his friends, and helps his enemies, unknowingly"?
(a) He is unjust.
(b) He is just.
(c) He claims to know justice, but doesn't.
(d) It doesn't matter; one would never do this.
4. Who gives the last formal speech at the symposium?
5. When Cephalus tends to his sacrifice, who immediately takes his place in conversation with Socrates?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Thrasymachus first define justice?
2. Before Socrates delivers his speech, he cross- examines Agathon about which of the following?
3. At whose house does the Symposium take place?
4. Who is the surprise visitor to the symposium, and why does he come?
5. Who is the character who narrates Symposium?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)