|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Meno respond to Socrates' question: "Do bees differ as bees, because there are many different kinds of them; or, are they not rather to be distinguished by some other quality, as for example beauty, size, or shape?"
(a) "I should say that bees must differ from one another, as bees."
(b) "They're just bees. Who cares?"
(c) "I should answer that bees do not differ from one another, as bees."
(d) "I don't understand your question."
2. Socrates concludes which of the following about virtue?
(a) If it can be taught then it is knowledge.
(b) It cannot be taught and is therefore not knowledge.
(c) If it manifests differently in different people, than it cannot have one definition.
(d) If it is the same in everyone, then we should be able to define it.
3. When Socrates meets Ion, Ion has just returned from which of the following?
(a) A game at the Coliseum.
(b) A poetry recital contest in Epidarus.
(c) Socrates' trial.
(d) Agathon's drinking party.
4. Who said the following: "may not the art of which neither teachers nor disciples exist be assumed to be incapable of being taught?"
(c) Meno's wife.
(d) The slave boy.
5. According to Socrates, what happens when "one [is] mistaken in his judgment, and harms his friends, and helps his enemies, unknowingly"?
(a) He is unjust.
(b) He is just.
(c) He claims to know justice, but doesn't.
(d) It doesn't matter; one would never do this.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the character who narrates <i>Symposium</i>?
2. When Meno arrives in Athens, who is accompanying him?
3. When pressed by Socrates to explain his skill, Ion asserts which of the following?
4. When Cephalus tends to his sacrifice, who immediately takes his place in conversation with Socrates?
5. What is the major point of Aristophanes' speech?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)