|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Symposium.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When pressed by Socrates to explain his skill, Ion asserts which of the following?
(a) He is unqualified to comment on the artistic value of the his recitations.
(b) Socrates should not be asking him questions.
(c) When he recites passage about military exploits he cannot tell if he does so with the candor of a general.
(d) When he recites poetry he feels like the poet himself.
2. Ion is renowned for his ability to recite which famous poet?
3. To illustrate one facet of his argument, Socrates employs the help of which character?
(a) A nearby slave boy to whom he teaches simple geometry.
(b) Meno's wife.
(c) A nearby guard who speaks about virtuous people he knows.
(d) Plato to clarify Socrates' words for a perplexed Meno.
4. Who is the surprise visitor to the symposium, and why does he come?
(a) Alcibiades comes because he is drunk and wants to seduce Socrates.
(b) There is no surprise visitor.
(c) Aristotle arrives late because he traveled farther than the others.
(d) Appolodorus comes because he is angry he wasn't invited.
5. When first asked by Socrates to define virtue, Meno responds with which of the following?
(a) A question, asking Socrates if this is really worth his time.
(b) A vague unassuming definition which is accepted by Socrates.
(c) Examples of virtuous people with different lifestyles.
(d) A theoretical ontology with ethical limitations on virtue.
Short Answer Questions
1. Socrates claims that he learned about love from which of the following?
2. In the dialogue, Meno blames the confusion in his speech on which of the following?
3. How does Dimotia characterize love?
4. Who gives the first speech at the symposium?
5. What is the major point of Aristophanes' speech?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)