|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Symposium.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Ion, Socrates is concerned primarily with which of the following?
(a) Defining virtue by more than just examples of virtue.
(b) Proving that Ion is not as smart as he is.
(c) Ion's secret relationship with Agathon.
(d) Distinguishing how we know things artistically from how we know things inspirationally.
2. To illustrate one facet of his argument, Socrates employs the help of which character?
(a) A nearby slave boy to whom he teaches simple geometry.
(b) Plato to clarify Socrates' words for a perplexed Meno.
(c) A nearby guard who speaks about virtuous people he knows.
(d) Meno's wife.
3. When Ion admits to Socrates that he can only recite one poet's work well, Socrates is puzzled by which of the following?
(a) Ion's desire to speak with Socrates about his work.
(b) Ion's hesitation to answer questions about his family.
(c) How Ion considers himself a philosopher.
(d) How an artistic skill can be limited in its expertise.
4. Socrates claims that he learned about love from which of the following?
5. Who is the surprise visitor to the symposium, and why does he come?
(a) Alcibiades comes because he is drunk and wants to seduce Socrates.
(b) Appolodorus comes because he is angry he wasn't invited.
(c) Aristotle arrives late because he traveled farther than the others.
(d) There is no surprise visitor.
Short Answer Questions
1. When first asked by Socrates to define virtue, Meno responds with which of the following?
2. What is the major point of Aristophanes' speech?
3. Who gives the last formal speech at the symposium?
4. According to Socrates' insinuation, artistic knowledge is characterized as which of the following?
5. How does Dimotia characterize love?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)