|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Symposium.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At whose house does the Symposium take place?
2. Describe Meno's appearance and attitude when he meets Socrates.
(a) Old, thoughtful, and wise.
(b) Youthful, though ugly and shy.
(c) Young and handsome though impulsive and arrogant.
(d) Middle- aged and curious.
3. Who is the surprise visitor to the symposium, and why does he come?
(a) Appolodorus comes because he is angry he wasn't invited.
(b) Alcibiades comes because he is drunk and wants to seduce Socrates.
(c) Aristotle arrives late because he traveled farther than the others.
(d) There is no surprise visitor.
4. Who is the last person to leave the symposium?
5. How does Meno respond to Socrates' question: "Do bees differ as bees, because there are many different kinds of them; or, are they not rather to be distinguished by some other quality, as for example beauty, size, or shape?"
(a) "I should answer that bees do not differ from one another, as bees."
(b) "I don't understand your question."
(c) "I should say that bees must differ from one another, as bees."
(d) "They're just bees. Who cares?"
Short Answer Questions
1. When first asked by Socrates to define virtue, Meno responds with which of the following?
2. What is the major point of Aristophanes' speech?
3. What does Socrates tell Ion about a person who can recite poetry well?
4. What definition of virtue do Meno and Socrates borrow from "the poets"?
5. When pressed by Socrates to explain his skill, Ion asserts which of the following?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)