|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Symposium.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Socrates delivers his speech, he cross- examines Agathon about which of the following?
(a) Agathon's poetic license.
(b) Whether love is necessarily beautiful.
(c) How one can know that he is truly in love.
(d) Whether loves is necessarily possible.
2. Who is the character who narrates <i>Symposium</i>?
3. When Ion admits to Socrates that he can only recite one poet's work well, Socrates is puzzled by which of the following?
(a) How Ion considers himself a philosopher.
(b) Ion's desire to speak with Socrates about his work.
(c) Ion's hesitation to answer questions about his family.
(d) How an artistic skill can be limited in its expertise.
4. At whose house does the Symposium take place?
5. In <i>Ion</i>, Socrates concludes that Ion's ability to memorize poetry is which of the following?
(a) An art that he learned from others.
(b) Not proof that he knows what it actually means.
(c) Proof that he knows what it actually means.
(d) Divinely inspired, just like the very poets whom Ion recites.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said the following: "may not the art of which neither teachers nor disciples exist be assumed to be incapable of being taught?"
2. According to Socrates' insinuation, artistic knowledge is characterized as which of the following?
3. Ion is renowned for his ability to recite which famous poet?
4. Who is Eryximachus?
5. When Meno arrives in Athens, who is accompanying him?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)