|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Symposium.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To understand Ion's poetically inspired spirit, Socrates employs a metaphor of which of the following?
(a) A dying animal to explain how the sole individual is part of a significant collective.
(b) A magnet to explain how a poet's inspiration moves from the muse to the audience.
(c) A newly born start to explain how small and insignificant our world is in the greater picture.
(d) An eye attempting to see itself, explaining how our mental visions are limited by the bounds of our brain.
2. When first asked by Socrates to define virtue, Meno responds with which of the following?
(a) A question, asking Socrates if this is really worth his time.
(b) Examples of virtuous people with different lifestyles.
(c) A theoretical ontology with ethical limitations on virtue.
(d) A vague unassuming definition which is accepted by Socrates.
3. Which of the following does Socrates reason about Ion?
(a) Ion is sad when his crowds are sad and happy when his crowds are happy.
(b) Ion knows more than Socrates.
(c) Ion must be outside his mind when he recites poetry.
(d) Ion is a handsome, though misguided poet.
4. In the dialogue, Meno blames the confusion in his speech on which of the following?
(a) Socrates, because Socrates is not listening to Meno's points.
(b) Himself, because he has not had ample time to prepare for a deep conversation.
(c) Socrates, because Socrates is deliberately confusing Meno about a subject which Meno thought he knew.
(d) Himself, because he does not think himself a good exemplar of what virtue is.
5. Before Socrates delivers his speech, he cross- examines Agathon about which of the following?
(a) Whether loves is necessarily possible.
(b) How one can know that he is truly in love.
(c) Whether love is necessarily beautiful.
(d) Agathon's poetic license.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Socrates meets Ion, Ion has just returned from which of the following?
2. To illustrate one facet of his argument, Socrates employs the help of which character?
3. Who is the character who narrates Symposium?
4. Who said the following: "may not the art of which neither teachers nor disciples exist be assumed to be incapable of being taught?"
5. When he first meets Socrates, Meno asks the following question:
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)