|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Symposium.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Socrates concludes which of the following about virtue?
(a) If it manifests differently in different people, than it cannot have one definition.
(b) If it can be taught then it is knowledge.
(c) It cannot be taught and is therefore not knowledge.
(d) If it is the same in everyone, then we should be able to define it.
2. When he first meets Socrates, Meno asks the following question:
(a) Where he can learn how to be a philosopher?
(b) How do we know if what we are seeing in the physical world actually exists?
(c) Is virtue taught, or is it inherent to good people?
(d) Is justice necessarily a good thing?
3. Who is Eryximachus?
(a) A philosopher who attacks Pausanias' postion.
(b) A doctor who argues that love is like a medicine curing life's ailments.
(c) A poet who argues that men and woman were once fused beings.
(d) The last speaker and surprise guest at the symposium.
4. In the dialogue, Meno blames the confusion in his speech on which of the following?
(a) Himself, because he has not had ample time to prepare for a deep conversation.
(b) Socrates, because Socrates is deliberately confusing Meno about a subject which Meno thought he knew.
(c) Himself, because he does not think himself a good exemplar of what virtue is.
(d) Socrates, because Socrates is not listening to Meno's points.
5. Who is the last person to leave the symposium?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the surprise visitor to the symposium, and why does he come?
2. At whose house does the Symposium take place?
3. Who is the character who narrates Symposium?
4. To illustrate one facet of his argument, Socrates employs the help of which character?
5. What is the major point of Aristophanes' speech?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)