|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Symposium.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates tell Ion about a person who can recite poetry well?
(a) Ion should memorize philosophy instead of poetry.
(b) Only a person who understands a poem's meaning could be a good reciter.
(c) Ion must not know the meaning of poetry if he just memorizes it.
(d) Memorizing poetry is a way of balancing the soul.
2. Describe Meno's appearance and attitude when he meets Socrates.
(a) Youthful, though ugly and shy.
(b) Young and handsome though impulsive and arrogant.
(c) Old, thoughtful, and wise.
(d) Middle- aged and curious.
3. When first asked by Socrates to define virtue, Meno responds with which of the following?
(a) A theoretical ontology with ethical limitations on virtue.
(b) Examples of virtuous people with different lifestyles.
(c) A vague unassuming definition which is accepted by Socrates.
(d) A question, asking Socrates if this is really worth his time.
4. In <i>Ion</i>, Socrates compares Ion to which of the following?
(b) Religious prophets.
(d) Greek artists and sculptors.
5. When Socrates meets Ion, Ion has just returned from which of the following?
(a) Agathon's drinking party.
(b) A game at the Coliseum.
(c) Socrates' trial.
(d) A poetry recital contest in Epidarus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the surprise visitor to the symposium, and why does he come?
2. To understand Ion's poetically inspired spirit, Socrates employs a metaphor of which of the following?
3. In the dialogue, Meno blames the confusion in his speech on which of the following?
4. What is a symposium?
5. Before Socrates delivers his speech, he cross- examines Agathon about which of the following?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)