|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Symposium.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the dialogue, Meno blames the confusion in his speech on which of the following?
(a) Himself, because he has not had ample time to prepare for a deep conversation.
(b) Socrates, because Socrates is not listening to Meno's points.
(c) Himself, because he does not think himself a good exemplar of what virtue is.
(d) Socrates, because Socrates is deliberately confusing Meno about a subject which Meno thought he knew.
2. Socrates concludes which of the following about virtue?
(a) If it is the same in everyone, then we should be able to define it.
(b) It cannot be taught and is therefore not knowledge.
(c) If it manifests differently in different people, than it cannot have one definition.
(d) If it can be taught then it is knowledge.
3. When pressed by Socrates to explain his skill, Ion asserts which of the following?
(a) Socrates should not be asking him questions.
(b) When he recites poetry he feels like the poet himself.
(c) When he recites passage about military exploits he cannot tell if he does so with the candor of a general.
(d) He is unqualified to comment on the artistic value of the his recitations.
4. Who gives the first speech at the symposium?
5. When Socrates meets Ion, Ion has just returned from which of the following?
(a) A poetry recital contest in Epidarus.
(b) A game at the Coliseum.
(c) Agathon's drinking party.
(d) Socrates' trial.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Ion, Socrates compares Ion to which of the following?
2. Which of the following does Socrates reason about poetry?
3. When he first meets Socrates, Meno asks the following question:
4. One large theme that permeates throughout Meno is:
5. When Meno arrives in Athens, who is accompanying him?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)