|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Symposium.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dimotia characterize love?
(a) Crude and deceitful, like the desire for immortality.
(b) Grounded and rational, like a mathematical equation.
(c) Beautiful and pure, like virtue or reason.
(d) Curious and enigmatic, like the Gods.
2. What definition of virtue do Meno and Socrates borrow from "the poets"?
(a) Virtue is the desire and power to obtain good things.
(b) Virtue is the unmoved mover of all things.
(c) Virtue is different for every person.
(d) Virtue, like other abstract notions, resists our best attempts to define it.
3. What is a symposium?
(a) An ancient restaurant.
(b) An outdoor gathering of philosophers near a nobleman's residence.
(c) A small club of Sophists.
(d) An all- night drinking party where various elite Greeks discuss the meaning of love.
4. When Socrates meets Ion, Ion has just returned from which of the following?
(a) Agathon's drinking party.
(b) A game at the Coliseum.
(c) A poetry recital contest in Epidarus.
(d) Socrates' trial.
5. To illustrate one facet of his argument, Socrates employs the help of which character?
(a) A nearby slave boy to whom he teaches simple geometry.
(b) A nearby guard who speaks about virtuous people he knows.
(c) Plato to clarify Socrates' words for a perplexed Meno.
(d) Meno's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. When first asked by Socrates to define virtue, Meno responds with which of the following?
2. Describe Meno's appearance and attitude when he meets Socrates.
3. Who is the last person to leave the symposium?
4. When Ion admits to Socrates that he can only recite one poet's work well, Socrates is puzzled by which of the following?
5. Socrates concludes which of the following about virtue?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)