|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Symposium.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Socrates reason about poetry?
(a) Poetry was not meant to be read aloud.
(b) A poem's content always belongs to the one who recites it.
(c) If poetry consists of statements which belong to other arts, then such "other arts" are actually one thing.
(d) A poem's content cannot belong to the one who recites it.
2. Who is Eryximachus?
(a) The last speaker and surprise guest at the symposium.
(b) A doctor who argues that love is like a medicine curing life's ailments.
(c) A philosopher who attacks Pausanias' postion.
(d) A poet who argues that men and woman were once fused beings.
3. When he first meets Socrates, Meno asks the following question:
(a) Where he can learn how to be a philosopher?
(b) How do we know if what we are seeing in the physical world actually exists?
(c) Is virtue taught, or is it inherent to good people?
(d) Is justice necessarily a good thing?
4. Describe Meno's appearance and attitude when he meets Socrates.
(a) Young and handsome though impulsive and arrogant.
(b) Old, thoughtful, and wise.
(c) Youthful, though ugly and shy.
(d) Middle- aged and curious.
5. At whose house does the Symposium take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. What definition of virtue do Meno and Socrates borrow from "the poets"?
2. In Ion, Socrates compares Ion to which of the following?
3. One large theme that permeates throughout Meno is:
4. What is the major point of Aristophanes' speech?
5. Ion is renowned for his ability to recite which famous poet?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)