|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Symposium.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Socrates delivers his speech, he cross- examines Agathon about which of the following?
(a) Whether loves is necessarily possible.
(b) Whether love is necessarily beautiful.
(c) Agathon's poetic license.
(d) How one can know that he is truly in love.
2. In Ion, Socrates is concerned primarily with which of the following?
(a) Defining virtue by more than just examples of virtue.
(b) Ion's secret relationship with Agathon.
(c) Proving that Ion is not as smart as he is.
(d) Distinguishing how we know things artistically from how we know things inspirationally.
3. Which of the following does Socrates reason about Ion?
(a) Ion is sad when his crowds are sad and happy when his crowds are happy.
(b) Ion knows more than Socrates.
(c) Ion is a handsome, though misguided poet.
(d) Ion must be outside his mind when he recites poetry.
4. Describe Meno's appearance and attitude when he meets Socrates.
(a) Young and handsome though impulsive and arrogant.
(b) Old, thoughtful, and wise.
(c) Youthful, though ugly and shy.
(d) Middle- aged and curious.
5. When Socrates meets Ion, Ion has just returned from which of the following?
(a) Agathon's drinking party.
(b) A game at the Coliseum.
(c) Socrates' trial.
(d) A poetry recital contest in Epidarus.
Short Answer Questions
1. To understand Ion's poetically inspired spirit, Socrates employs a metaphor of which of the following?
2. In Ion, Socrates concludes that Ion's ability to memorize poetry is which of the following?
3. Which of the following does Socrates reason about poetry?
4. Socrates claims that he learned about love from which of the following?
5. When first asked by Socrates to define virtue, Meno responds with which of the following?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)