|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Symposium.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When pressed by Socrates to explain his skill, Ion asserts which of the following?
(a) When he recites passage about military exploits he cannot tell if he does so with the candor of a general.
(b) When he recites poetry he feels like the poet himself.
(c) Socrates should not be asking him questions.
(d) He is unqualified to comment on the artistic value of the his recitations.
2. When Socrates meets Ion, Ion has just returned from which of the following?
(a) Agathon's drinking party.
(b) A poetry recital contest in Epidarus.
(c) Socrates' trial.
(d) A game at the Coliseum.
3. What is the major point of Aristophanes' speech?
(a) Love is as complicated and confusing as good poetry.
(b) Everything eventually dies, so it is pointless to love anything.
(c) Men loving woman is necessarily better than men loving men, because the former allows for procreation.
(d) Love is the desire for unity, because man and woman were once a unified being.
4. In Ion, Socrates compares Ion to which of the following?
(a) Religious prophets.
(c) Greek artists and sculptors.
5. Describe Meno's appearance and attitude when he meets Socrates.
(a) Old, thoughtful, and wise.
(b) Youthful, though ugly and shy.
(c) Middle- aged and curious.
(d) Young and handsome though impulsive and arrogant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said the following: "may not the art of which neither teachers nor disciples exist be assumed to be incapable of being taught?"
2. In Ion, Socrates is concerned primarily with which of the following?
3. Who is Eryximachus?
4. Socrates claims that he learned about love from which of the following?
5. Who is the character who narrates Symposium?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)