|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Symposium.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the surprise visitor to the symposium, and why does he come?
(a) Appolodorus comes because he is angry he wasn't invited.
(b) Alcibiades comes because he is drunk and wants to seduce Socrates.
(c) Aristotle arrives late because he traveled farther than the others.
(d) There is no surprise visitor.
2. When Meno arrives in Athens, who is accompanying him?
(a) His wife.
(b) A small militia unit.
(c) A large group of slaves.
(d) Nobody, he is alone.
3. Who is Eryximachus?
(a) A philosopher who attacks Pausanias' postion.
(b) A poet who argues that men and woman were once fused beings.
(c) A doctor who argues that love is like a medicine curing life's ailments.
(d) The last speaker and surprise guest at the symposium.
4. How does Dimotia characterize love?
(a) Beautiful and pure, like virtue or reason.
(b) Crude and deceitful, like the desire for immortality.
(c) Curious and enigmatic, like the Gods.
(d) Grounded and rational, like a mathematical equation.
5. Which of the following does Socrates reason about poetry?
(a) A poem's content cannot belong to the one who recites it.
(b) If poetry consists of statements which belong to other arts, then such "other arts" are actually one thing.
(c) A poem's content always belongs to the one who recites it.
(d) Poetry was not meant to be read aloud.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Socrates reason about Ion?
2. What does Socrates tell Ion about a person who can recite poetry well?
3. Who is the character who narrates Symposium?
4. Before Socrates delivers his speech, he cross- examines Agathon about which of the following?
5. In Ion, Socrates compares Ion to which of the following?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)