|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Symposium.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives the first speech at the symposium?
2. According to Socrates' insinuation, artistic knowledge is characterized as which of the following?
3. Who is the surprise visitor to the symposium, and why does he come?
(a) Aristotle arrives late because he traveled farther than the others.
(b) Alcibiades comes because he is drunk and wants to seduce Socrates.
(c) There is no surprise visitor.
(d) Appolodorus comes because he is angry he wasn't invited.
4. Who is the last person to leave the symposium?
5. To understand Ion's poetically inspired spirit, Socrates employs a metaphor of which of the following?
(a) A newly born start to explain how small and insignificant our world is in the greater picture.
(b) A magnet to explain how a poet's inspiration moves from the muse to the audience.
(c) A dying animal to explain how the sole individual is part of a significant collective.
(d) An eye attempting to see itself, explaining how our mental visions are limited by the bounds of our brain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Socrates reason about poetry?
2. In Ion, Socrates concludes that Ion's ability to memorize poetry is which of the following?
3. In the dialogue, Meno blames the confusion in his speech on which of the following?
4. When Ion admits to Socrates that he can only recite one poet's work well, Socrates is puzzled by which of the following?
5. Who gives the last formal speech at the symposium?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)