|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Symposium.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Socrates rebut the definition of virtue offered by the poets?
(a) By showing Meno that all men desire good things, but that not all men are virtuous.
(b) By giving Meno a solid definition of virtue.
(c) By instructing Meno that it is impossible to have an abstract entity which moves other things but does not move itself.
(d) By proving to Meno that there are many commonly held virtues.
2. Ion is renowned for his ability to recite which famous poet?
3. Who gives the last formal speech at the symposium?
4. Who said the following: "may not the art of which neither teachers nor disciples exist be assumed to be incapable of being taught?"
(b) Meno's wife.
(c) The slave boy.
5. Who is the character who narrates Symposium?
Short Answer Questions
1. To illustrate one facet of his argument, Socrates employs the help of which character?
2. Who is the last person to leave the symposium?
3. Which of the following does Socrates reason about poetry?
4. When Meno arrives in Athens, who is accompanying him?
5. Before Socrates delivers his speech, he cross- examines Agathon about which of the following?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)