|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Phaedo.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is courage found in Socrates' republic?
(a) In the labors who toil in the sun.
(b) In the lawyers and judges who fight injustice.
(c) In the academics who strive for truth.
(d) In the soldiers who fight for it.
2. When Socrates meets Ion, Ion has just returned from which of the following?
(a) Socrates' trial.
(b) Agathon's drinking party.
(c) A poetry recital contest in Epidarus.
(d) A game at the Coliseum.
3. According to Socrates, what happens when "one [is] mistaken in his judgment, and harms his friends, and helps his enemies, unknowingly"?
(a) He is just.
(b) He claims to know justice, but doesn't.
(c) He is unjust.
(d) It doesn't matter; one would never do this.
4. What assertion is made by Socrates when he responds to Adeimantus' point?
(a) Philosophy is neither an activity nor a profession, but a calling.
(b) True philosophers are more concerned with absolute truth to the opinion of the masses, and only Sophists are evil.
(c) Students become philosophers when they stop asking such questions.
(d) Philosophers make the best rulers.
5. What poet is cited by Cephalus to explain the paradox of old age?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Socrates reason about Ion?
2. According to Socrates' opinion, what is the second happiest social class of man in the world?
3. The common man is not concerned with beauty itself, but ___________.
4. According to Socrates, what is the best form of government?
5. In the beginning of <i>Book IV</i>, Adeimantus ask Socrates__________________.
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)