Eight Week Quiz F
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Socrates, what are the two ways of training the soul?
(a) Mediation and medicine.
(b) Religion and philosophy.
(c) Conversation with oneself and with others.
(d) Physical exercise and literary education.
2. In <i>Ion</i>, Socrates concludes that Ion's ability to memorize poetry is which of the following?
(a) Not proof that he knows what it actually means.
(b) An art that he learned from others.
(c) Divinely inspired, just like the very poets whom Ion recites.
(d) Proof that he knows what it actually means.
3. When Cephalus tends to his sacrifice, who immediately takes his place in conversation with Socrates?
4. What do Socrates' interlocutors object to in the beginning of <i>Book V</i>?
(a) All children and women should be shared (and raised) in common.
(b) Children must be born on the 7th of the month.
(c) They do not give Socrates any objections until later in the dialogue.
(d) All property would be owned by a family.
5. Who is Socrates walking with when he is stopped by a group of men urging him to come to Cephalus' house?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Socrates reason about poetry?
2. What is a democracy?
3. Toward the end of <i>Book IV</i> Socrates weaves an analogy between________________.
4. Which of the following ideas are not mentioned in <i>Book VI</i>?
5. Why is Socrates worried about literature which contains wayward characters?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)