Eight Week Quiz E
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Socrates' ideal city, poets and soothsayers:
(a) Would be considered useless and expelled.
(b) Would not be allowed to speak falsely about the gods.
(c) Would be rich while the workers would be poor.
(d) Would lead religious ceremonies.
2. In <i>Ion</i>, Socrates concludes that Ion's ability to memorize poetry is which of the following?
(a) Divinely inspired, just like the very poets whom Ion recites.
(b) An art that he learned from others.
(c) Proof that he knows what it actually means.
(d) Not proof that he knows what it actually means.
3. Before Socrates delivers his speech, he cross- examines Agathon about which of the following?
(a) How one can know that he is truly in love.
(b) Whether loves is necessarily possible.
(c) Whether love is necessarily beautiful.
(d) Agathon's poetic license.
4. According to Socrates, where would the republic's leaders live?
(a) Separately from the citizens.
(b) In the Academy.
(c) In a palace in the country's largest city.
(d) Among the citizens.
5. Who gives the last formal speech at the symposium?
Short Answer Questions
1. To understand Ion's poetically inspired spirit, Socrates employs a metaphor of which of the following?
2. Why would candidates for a philosopher-king class in the republic be tested?
3. In Socrates' republic, judges must__________.
4. Who are the rulers in Socrates' republic?
5. Though Glaucon is primarily concerned about justice within the individual, Socrates first begins by analyzing __________.
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)