|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Socrates walking with when he is stopped by a group of men urging him to come to Cephalus' house?
2. In <i>Ion</i>, Socrates is concerned primarily with which of the following?
(a) Defining virtue by more than just examples of virtue.
(b) Proving that Ion is not as smart as he is.
(c) Distinguishing how we know things artistically from how we know things inspirationally.
(d) Ion's secret relationship with Agathon.
3. Who said the following: "may not the art of which neither teachers nor disciples exist be assumed to be incapable of being taught?"
(a) Meno's wife.
(b) The slave boy.
4. From which poet does Polemarchus derive his definition of justice?
5. To illustrate one facet of his argument, Socrates employs the help of which character?
(a) Plato to clarify Socrates' words for a perplexed Meno.
(b) A nearby slave boy to whom he teaches simple geometry.
(c) Meno's wife.
(d) A nearby guard who speaks about virtuous people he knows.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Socrates meets Ion, Ion has just returned from which of the following?
2. Who is Asclepius?
3. What poet is cited by Cephalus to explain the paradox of old age?
4. Who says, at the very end of <i>Book II</i>, "I completely endorse these patterns, and I would enact them as laws"?
5. Who is the surprise visitor to the symposium, and why does he come?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)