Eight Week Quiz B
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who said the following: "may not the art of which neither teachers nor disciples exist be assumed to be incapable of being taught?"
(b) Meno's wife.
(d) The slave boy.
2. What does Socrates tell Ion about a person who can recite poetry well?
(a) Ion must not know the meaning of poetry if he just memorizes it.
(b) Ion should memorize philosophy instead of poetry.
(c) Memorizing poetry is a way of balancing the soul.
(d) Only a person who understands a poem's meaning could be a good reciter.
3. Which of the following does Socrates reason about poetry?
(a) If poetry consists of statements which belong to other arts, then such "other arts" are actually one thing.
(b) A poem's content cannot belong to the one who recites it.
(c) Poetry was not meant to be read aloud.
(d) A poem's content always belongs to the one who recites it.
4. From which poet does Polemarchus derive his definition of justice?
5. When pressed by Socrates to explain his skill, Ion asserts which of the following?
(a) Socrates should not be asking him questions.
(b) When he recites passage about military exploits he cannot tell if he does so with the candor of a general.
(c) He is unqualified to comment on the artistic value of the his recitations.
(d) When he recites poetry he feels like the poet himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates' insinuation, artistic knowledge is characterized as which of the following?
2. Who is Socrates walking with when he is stopped by a group of men urging him to come to Cephalus' house?
3. When Meno arrives in Athens, who is accompanying him?
4. What is the major point of Aristophanes' speech?
5. How does Socrates rebut the definition of virtue offered by the poets?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)