Eight Week Quiz A
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Symposium.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What definition of virtue do Meno and Socrates borrow from "the poets"?
(a) Virtue is the unmoved mover of all things.
(b) Virtue, like other abstract notions, resists our best attempts to define it.
(c) Virtue is different for every person.
(d) Virtue is the desire and power to obtain good things.
2. What does Socrates tell Ion about a person who can recite poetry well?
(a) Ion must not know the meaning of poetry if he just memorizes it.
(b) Only a person who understands a poem's meaning could be a good reciter.
(c) Ion should memorize philosophy instead of poetry.
(d) Memorizing poetry is a way of balancing the soul.
3. When Ion admits to Socrates that he can only recite one poet's work well, Socrates is puzzled by which of the following?
(a) How an artistic skill can be limited in its expertise.
(b) Ion's desire to speak with Socrates about his work.
(c) Ion's hesitation to answer questions about his family.
(d) How Ion considers himself a philosopher.
4. Who is the surprise visitor to the symposium, and why does he come?
(a) Aristotle arrives late because he traveled farther than the others.
(b) There is no surprise visitor.
(c) Alcibiades comes because he is drunk and wants to seduce Socrates.
(d) Appolodorus comes because he is angry he wasn't invited.
5. In <i>Ion</i>, Socrates compares Ion to which of the following?
(b) Religious prophets.
(c) Greek artists and sculptors.
Short Answer Questions
1. In <i>Ion</i>, Socrates is concerned primarily with which of the following?
2. Who gives the first speech at the symposium?
3. How does Socrates rebut the definition of virtue offered by the poets?
4. How does Meno respond to Socrates' question: "Do bees differ as bees, because there are many different kinds of them; or, are they not rather to be distinguished by some other quality, as for example beauty, size, or shape?"
5. Which of the following does Socrates reason about Ion?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)