|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Apology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What analogies does Socrates employ to refute Thrasymachus' position on justice?
(a) He compares justice to food, both nourishing the soul.
(b) He compares the skill of a leader to the respective skills of a doctor, house-builder, and sailor.
(c) He compares a money-maker to a philosopher and a clergyman.
(d) He compares democracy to dictatorship and aristocracy.
2. According to Socrates' radical math, the tyrant's life is 729 times________.
(a) Less exciting than the soldier's life.
(b) Less pleasant than the philosopher's life.
(c) More laudable than the common man's life.
(d) More worthy than an elected leader's life.
3. In Apology, Socrates defends himself specifically from accusations made by___________.
(a) Evenus of Paros.
(c) The Sophists and the Arians.
4. When pressed by Socrates to explain his skill, Ion asserts which of the following?
(a) He is unqualified to comment on the artistic value of the his recitations.
(b) When he recites poetry he feels like the poet himself.
(c) When he recites passage about military exploits he cannot tell if he does so with the candor of a general.
(d) Socrates should not be asking him questions.
5. In Book IX, what is the philosopher's deepest pleasure?
(c) Material gain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Eryximachus?
2. Socrates believes that unjust men_________.
3. Why does Glaucon continue conversing with Socrates?
4. At whose house does the Symposium take place?
5. Socrates concludes which of the following about virtue?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)