|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Apology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The common man is not concerned with beauty itself, but ___________.
(a) He is concerned with more abstract notions.
(b) He is concerned with beautiful things.
(c) He is concerned for his soul.
(d) He concerns himself with only practical matters.
2. Whom does Socrates think is the fourth (and least) happiest social class of man in the republic?
(a) The democratic man.
(b) The king.
(c) The tyrant.
(d) The aristocrat.
3. Socrates thinks that poets and painters are_____________.
(a) Imitators, only representing the things they try and capture.
(b) Like gods, establishing reality through art.
(c) Categorically intelligent.
(d) Useless and idle.
4. According to Socrates, what did the Oracle at Delphi tell Socrates and Cherephon?
(a) Socrates would be executed if he returned to Athens.
(b) Socrates was the wisest man alive.
(c) The Oracle would not speak to Socrates and Cherephon.
(d) The Thirty Tyrants would bring times of war followed by prosperity.
5. What types of stories, according to Socrates, ought we to read to children when they are very young?
(a) False ones (myths) that are not grounded in any truth.
(b) True ones with only true elements
(c) False ones (myths), with a true element.
(d) True ones with false elements.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Meno respond to Socrates' question: "Do bees differ as bees, because there are many different kinds of them; or, are they not rather to be distinguished by some other quality, as for example beauty, size, or shape?"
2. From which poet does Polemarchus derive his definition of justice?
3. To Socrates, government is best analogized as being similar to the human _________.
4. How does Socrates defend the point that men and women are equal?
5. What must the philosopher, according to Socrates in Book VI, employ in order to attain knowledge of "absolute good"?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)