|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Apology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Socrates refute Polemarchus' definition of justice?
(a) Socrates asserts that doing evil, even to an evil man, makes the doer unjust.
(b) Socrates shows Polemarchus that every man is intrinsically free, regardless of the law.
(c) Socrates shows Polemarchus that stealing from the rich is unjust.
(d) Socrates reasons that it is impossible to determine what is fair in every situation.
2. When Meno arrives in Athens, who is accompanying him?
(a) A small militia unit.
(b) Nobody, he is alone.
(c) A large group of slaves.
(d) His wife.
3. In his first argument, Glaucon asserts that is better to __________.
(a) Appear unjust than actually be just.
(b) Be unjust than appear unjust.
(c) Appear just than actually be just.
(d) Be just than appear just.
4. What does Socrates tell Ion about a person who can recite poetry well?
(a) Only a person who understands a poem's meaning could be a good reciter.
(b) Ion must not know the meaning of poetry if he just memorizes it.
(c) Memorizing poetry is a way of balancing the soul.
(d) Ion should memorize philosophy instead of poetry.
5. According to Socrates' insinuation, artistic knowledge is characterized as which of the following?
Short Answer Questions
1. Wise souls, Socrates asserts, will always choose paths of_________.
2. Before Socrates delivers his speech, he cross- examines Agathon about which of the following?
3. What does Cephalus say to Socrates about old age?
4. When Cephalus tends to his sacrifice, who immediately takes his place in conversation with Socrates?
5. What are the three social classes in the republic, according to Socrates?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)