|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Apology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a democracy?
(a) Rule by the military.
(b) Rule by the elite.
(c) Rule by the rich.
(d) Rule by the poor.
2. What counter-example does Socrates employ as evidence that a state is flawed?
(a) When innocent men are sentenced to death, a state is flawed.
(b) Poor doctors exist where there are poor statesmen.
(c) "Rich" soldiers in other cities make poor soldiers and poor leaders.
(d) Diplomats make more money than labors in problematic regions.
3. From Socrates' point of view, the philosopher is __________ than the tyrant.
(a) Immensely more happy.
(b) More rewarded.
(c) Vested with less power.
(d) Worse off.
4. One large theme that permeates throughout Meno is:
(a) Learning is really a recollection of old knowledge.
(b) A proposition can only be deemed valid if it is testable in the empirical world.
(c) There can never be universal ethics.
(d) Non- virtuous people can still perform virtuous actions
5. What does Cephalus say to Socrates about old age?
(a) Aging takes the life out of one's body.
(b) Old age is the same as youth, it just depends on one's perspective.
(c) Wisdom is not worth death.
(d) Most people think it is a curse, but one can enjoy freedom from youth's passions.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Socrates meets Ion, Ion has just returned from which of the following?
2. Whom does Socrates think is the fourth (and least) happiest social class of man in the republic?
3. Socrates concludes which of the following about virtue?
4. Where is wisdom found in Socrates' ideal republic?
5. According to Socrates' opinion, what is the second happiest social class of man in the world?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)