|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Apology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following ideas are not mentioned in Book VI?
(a) Learning is a process of recalling past knowledge.
(b) Hypotheses are helpful, but only when you cannot apprehend an idea without an example.
(c) The intellectual life of the philosopher is very rigorous.
(d) Philosophers can do good and evil.
2. Socrates believes that the "just man" is _____________.
(a) Bound only to enjoy his goodness while he is alive.
(b) An enemy to unjust gods.
(c) A friend of the gods and will be rewarded for being so.
(d) An enemy to himself.
3. Who are the rulers in Socrates' republic?
(a) The doctors.
(b) The students.
(c) The warriors.
(d) The philosophers.
4. Socrates is primarily charged with________________.
(a) Making the weaker arguments the stronger, corrupting the youth, and impiety.
(b) Failing to appear in court previously.
(c) Forsaking the laws and disobeying his superiors.
(d) Violent public speech acts.
5. Who said, "the unexamined life is not worth living"?
(d) An unnamed member of the Athenian Council.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the dialogue, Meno blames the confusion in his speech on which of the following?
2. What do Socrates' interlocutors object to in the beginning of Book V?
3. When Socrates meets Ion, Ion has just returned from which of the following?
4. Whom does Socrates think is the fourth (and least) happiest social class of man in the republic?
5. How does Polemarchus define justice?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)