|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Apology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When he first meets Socrates, Meno asks the following question:
(a) Is virtue taught, or is it inherent to good people?
(b) How do we know if what we are seeing in the physical world actually exists?
(c) Where he can learn how to be a philosopher?
(d) Is justice necessarily a good thing?
2. How does Socrates regard an oligarchy?
(a) Socrates claims that oligarchy is dangerous because it often leads to an impoverished public.
(b) Socrates thinks that oligarchy is the best form of government in all cases.
(c) Socrates asserts that an oligarchy is worse than a democracy.
(d) Socrates thinks that class divisions are crucial to the success of an oligarchy.
3. What are the soldiers of the republic explicitly forbidden to do, according to Socrates?
(a) Execute war criminals.
(b) Commit atrocities, such as enslavement and land-burning, against fellow Greeks.
(c) Have sex with non-family members.
(d) Take bribes.
4. Ion is renowned for his ability to recite which famous poet?
5. In his first argument, Glaucon asserts that is better to __________.
(a) Be unjust than appear unjust.
(b) Appear just than actually be just.
(c) Appear unjust than actually be just.
(d) Be just than appear just.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Socrates defend the point that men and women are equal?
2. The common man is not concerned with beauty itself, but ___________.
3. Why would candidates for a philosopher-king class in the republic be tested?
4. According to Socrates, to what does a true philosopher owe his life?
5. What is an oligarchy?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)