|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Apology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Socrates intends his imagined city to be taken as a symbolic model for__________.
(a) The natural animal kingdom.
(b) Justice personified.
(c) The individual soul.
(d) Collective consciousness.
2. According to Socrates' points in Book IV, the soul of a philosopher_____________________.
(a) Is better than the soul of a common man.
(b) Does not concern Socrates.
(c) Is easily persuadable.
(d) Can be used for good and evil alike.
3. According to Socrates, woman can____________.
(a) Lead the republic.
(b) Hold any job than men can hold.
(c) Offer proof of the immortal soul.
(d) Reach heaven more quickly than men.
4. In Apology, Socrates defends himself specifically from accusations made by___________.
(b) Evenus of Paros.
(d) The Sophists and the Arians.
5. One large theme that permeates throughout Meno is:
(a) There can never be universal ethics.
(b) Learning is really a recollection of old knowledge.
(c) Non- virtuous people can still perform virtuous actions
(d) A proposition can only be deemed valid if it is testable in the empirical world.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Socrates meets Ion, Ion has just returned from which of the following?
2. According to Socrates' opinion, what does the common man's simple mind cause him to mistake?
3. Why does Glaucon continue conversing with Socrates?
4. Which demographic of the Athenian population does Socrates single out for discussion?
5. Where is courage found in Socrates' republic?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)