|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Apology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Socrates' opinion, what does the common man's simple mind cause him to mistake?
(a) A ceasing of pain for pleasure.
(b) Examples for definitions.
(c) Emotions for arguments.
(d) Reason for illogic.
2. As a consequence of misology, or a hatred of logic/reasoning, Socrates explains how the common man has trouble_________.
(a) Apprehending absolute truths.
(b) Apprehending simple concepts.
(c) Serving his state.
(d) Speaking literally.
3. What definition of virtue do Meno and Socrates borrow from "the poets"?
(a) Virtue is the desire and power to obtain good things.
(b) Virtue is the unmoved mover of all things.
(c) Virtue is different for every person.
(d) Virtue, like other abstract notions, resists our best attempts to define it.
4. Adeimantus interrupts Socrates in the beginning of Book VI to ask him ____________.
(a) Whether philosophy is an activity or a profession.
(b) Why philosophers are either useless or evil.
(c) Why he wants philosophers to rule the city.
(d) When students get to become full-fledged philosophers.
5. Whose side is Adeimantus on, at least in the beginning of the dialogue?
(a) He does not advocate his own position, and he is on neither Glaucon's nor Socrates' side.
(d) He has his own distinct position.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Socrates meets Ion, Ion has just returned from which of the following?
2. Who is Evenus of Paros?
3. Describe Meno's appearance and attitude when he meets Socrates.
4. What does Cephalus say to Socrates about old age?
5. Wise souls, Socrates asserts, will always choose paths of_________.
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)