|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Apology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is wisdom found in Socrates' ideal republic?
(a) In Socrates, and others like him.
(b) In those who rule and order it.
(c) In the slaves who labor in it.
(d) In the moral law.
2. What does Socrates assert about his views of the ideal state?
(a) They break certain established social norms.
(b) They are based on insidious accusations against the current ruling power.
(c) They are without flaw.
(d) They will bring about the coming of a new empire.
3. According to Socrates' radical math, the tyrant's life is 729 times________.
(a) Less exciting than the soldier's life.
(b) Less pleasant than the philosopher's life.
(c) More laudable than the common man's life.
(d) More worthy than an elected leader's life.
4. Which of the following does Socrates reason about Ion?
(a) Ion must be outside his mind when he recites poetry.
(b) Ion is sad when his crowds are sad and happy when his crowds are happy.
(c) Ion knows more than Socrates.
(d) Ion is a handsome, though misguided poet.
5. In Book V, what is the philosopher concerned with, according to Socrates?
(a) The afterlife.
(b) Beautiful things.
(c) Absolute being.
(d) Justice, and only justice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Complete the comparison: philosophers have wisdom whereas common men have _______
2. In Book VII Socrates weaves an analogy suggesting that the common man is like________.
3. In Book V, Socrates admits which of the following about his republic?
4. After the verdict, Socrates warns the Athenian jury that________.
5. Socrates believes that the Sophists________________.
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)