|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Apology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Socrates defend the point that men and women are equal?
(a) Though men are physically stronger, women are emotionally stronger.
(b) Men need women to exist (and vice-versa), so man and woman are better regarded as parts of a whole rather than individuals.
(c) Though they have different natures, they can perform the same tasks.
(d) Though they have different external organs, their internal ones are similar.
2. "A good man [who is] grieving," says Socrates," will attempt to moderate his grief through _________."
3. In Book IX, what is the philosopher's deepest pleasure?
(d) Material gain.
4. How does Socrates regard a democracy?
(a) Socrates is only for a democracy if it has a bipartisan senate.
(b) Socrates thinks that the people should be able to choose who leads them.
(c) Socrates thinks it is the best form of government in all cases.
(d) Socrates thinks democracy is the worst form of government.
5. In Book V, Socrates admits which of the following about his republic?
(a) Though theoretically sound, such a city might not be actually possible.
(b) His city will rule the world.
(c) He hopes his city is built, just not in his lifetime.
(d) Many people would have to be brainwashed before they would live in such a city.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Cephalus tends to his sacrifice, who immediately takes his place in conversation with Socrates?
2. Whose stories does Socrates think dangerous for the moral turpitude of his city's citizens?
3. According to Socrates, to what does a true philosopher owe his life?
4. Toward the end of Book IV Socrates weaves an analogy between________________.
5. Meletus claims that Socrates said which of the following?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)