|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Apology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Asclepius?
(a) A ruler who looks kindly among his subjects.
(b) A doctor who gave simple and quick treatments to his patients.
(c) A tyrant who reigns over his people.
(d) A philosopher who offers a competing argument.
2. In <i>Book VII</i> Socrates weaves an analogy suggesting that the common man is like________.
(a) A prisoner in a cave looking at shadow puppets and thinking it's real life.
(b) A chicken in a coop, about to be slaughtered.
(c) A willow flapping in the wind.
(d) A starving beast, desperate for food.
3. What is the major point of Aristophanes' speech?
(a) Love is as complicated and confusing as good poetry.
(b) Love is the desire for unity, because man and woman were once a unified being.
(c) Men loving woman is necessarily better than men loving men, because the former allows for procreation.
(d) Everything eventually dies, so it is pointless to love anything.
4. In <i>Book IX</i>, what is the philosopher's deepest pleasure?
(d) Material gain.
5. How does Socrates refute Polemarchus' definition of justice?
(a) Socrates shows Polemarchus that stealing from the rich is unjust.
(b) Socrates asserts that doing evil, even to an evil man, makes the doer unjust.
(c) Socrates reasons that it is impossible to determine what is fair in every situation.
(d) Socrates shows Polemarchus that every man is intrinsically free, regardless of the law.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates, to what does a true philosopher owe his life?
2. Glaucon offers Socrates a proof that ____________________.
3. How does Socrates regard a democracy?
4. The Athenian jury finds Socrates_________.
5. In Socrates' ideal nation, literature which depicts the afterlife should depict it as___________.
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)