|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Apology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Eryximachus?
(a) A doctor who argues that love is like a medicine curing life's ailments.
(b) The last speaker and surprise guest at the symposium.
(c) A poet who argues that men and woman were once fused beings.
(d) A philosopher who attacks Pausanias' postion.
2. Describe Meno's appearance and attitude when he meets Socrates.
(a) Youthful, though ugly and shy.
(b) Old, thoughtful, and wise.
(c) Young and handsome though impulsive and arrogant.
(d) Middle- aged and curious.
3. According to Socrates' opinion, what is the second happiest social class of man in the world?
(a) The tyrant.
(b) The democratic man.
(c) The merchant.
(d) The timocratic man.
4. What do Socrates' interlocutors object to in the beginning of Book V?
(a) All property would be owned by a family.
(b) Children must be born on the 7th of the month.
(c) All children and women should be shared (and raised) in common.
(d) They do not give Socrates any objections until later in the dialogue.
5. Socrates believes that the Sophists________________.
(a) Are philosophers themselves.
(b) Are evil imitators posing as philosophers.
(c) Should be exiled on grounds of impiety.
(d) Have values worth learning from.
Short Answer Questions
1. To illustrate one facet of his argument, Socrates employs the help of which character?
2. From Socrates' point of view, the philosopher is __________ than the tyrant.
3. According to Socrates, what is the best form of government?
4. In Socrates' cross-examination of Meletus, how does he make Meletus contradict himself?
5. One large theme that permeates throughout Meno is:
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)