|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Apology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As a consequence of misology, or a hatred of logic/reasoning, Socrates explains how the common man has trouble_________.
(a) Apprehending simple concepts.
(b) Speaking literally.
(c) Serving his state.
(d) Apprehending absolute truths.
2. What is a symposium?
(a) A small club of Sophists.
(b) An outdoor gathering of philosophers near a nobleman's residence.
(c) An all- night drinking party where various elite Greeks discuss the meaning of love.
(d) An ancient restaurant.
3. What poet is cited by Cephalus to explain the paradox of old age?
4. In Socrates' republic, judges must__________.
(a) Be fair and lax.
(b) Be completely removed from evil.
(c) Be fair and strict.
(d) Be good, but able to spot evil.
5. Who is the surprise visitor to the symposium, and why does he come?
(a) Alcibiades comes because he is drunk and wants to seduce Socrates.
(b) There is no surprise visitor.
(c) Appolodorus comes because he is angry he wasn't invited.
(d) Aristotle arrives late because he traveled farther than the others.
Short Answer Questions
1. Philosophers, according to Socrates' analogy, are which of the following?
2. What are "the three"?
3. What assertion is made by Socrates when he responds to Adeimantus' point?
4. According to Socrates' opinion, what is the second happiest social class of man in the world?
5. What is timocracy?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)