|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Apology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which demographic of the Athenian population does Socrates single out for discussion?
(a) The lawyers.
(b) The sophists.
(c) The citizens.
(d) The soldiers.
2. Socrates believes that unjust men_________.
(a) Will be punished in death.
(b) Will not necessarily be punished in death.
(c) Don't deserve death and should have to live forever.
(d) Will be rewarded by the unjust gods.
3. Socrates explains that the common man sees the philosopher as useless because_________.
(a) He mistakes thoughfulness for idleness.
(b) He is self-serving, and, therefore, despises those who judge him.
(c) He is blinded by ignorance, not seeing the intrinsic importance to their purpose.
(d) He is concerned with the soul, not with books.
4. In Socrates' ideal nation, literature which depicts the afterlife should depict it as___________.
5. Who is Socrates walking with when he is stopped by a group of men urging him to come to Cephalus' house?
Short Answer Questions
1. Complete the comparison: philosophers have wisdom whereas common men have _______
2. What are "the three"?
3. Where is wisdom found in Socrates' ideal republic?
4. Which of the following does Socrates reason about poetry?
5. What does Cephalus say to Socrates about old age?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)