|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Apology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Complete the comparison: philosophers have wisdom whereas common men have _______
2. According to Socrates in <i>Book VII</i>, to what should all philosophers aspire?
(a) To know absolute truths in-and-of-themselves.
(b) To make their argument the strongest argument.
(c) To always disagree with each other.
(d) To know what's true for oneself.
3. According to Socrates' opinion, what is the second happiest social class of man in the world?
(a) The democratic man.
(b) The merchant.
(c) The timocratic man.
(d) The tyrant.
4. In <i>Book X</i>, Socrates returns to a discussion about _________.
(b) Military Strategy.
(d) Social affairs.
5. To understand Ion's poetically inspired spirit, Socrates employs a metaphor of which of the following?
(a) A magnet to explain how a poet's inspiration moves from the muse to the audience.
(b) A newly born start to explain how small and insignificant our world is in the greater picture.
(c) A dying animal to explain how the sole individual is part of a significant collective.
(d) An eye attempting to see itself, explaining how our mental visions are limited by the bounds of our brain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Socrates reason about Ion?
2. In <i>Ion</i>, Socrates is concerned primarily with which of the following?
3. As a consequence of misology, or a hatred of logic/reasoning, Socrates explains how the common man has trouble_________.
4. In his first argument, Glaucon asserts that is better to __________.
5. How does Socrates plan to keep the soldiers of the republic from fighting?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)