|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Apology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one example that Socrates uses to suggest that the city has already turned against him?
(a) Gorgias of Leontini's Poetics.
(b) The uproar in the courtroom when he speaks.
(c) His conversation with Meno before the hearing.
(d) Aristophanes' play Clouds.
2. The evil of the soul, explained in Book X by Socrates, is ___________.
3. To which other creative art does Socrates propose censorship?
4. Socrates firmly believes that poetry _____________.
(a) Tends to prevent men from leading good lives.
(b) Is instrumental in helping the common man understand larger issues.
(c) Must be philosophy to be considered poetry.
(d) Is philosophy of the heart.
5. Socrates believes that the Sophists________________.
(a) Should be exiled on grounds of impiety.
(b) Are evil imitators posing as philosophers.
(c) Are philosophers themselves.
(d) Have values worth learning from.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his first argument, Glaucon asserts that is better to __________.
2. According to Socrates, where would the republic's leaders live?
3. Ion is renowned for his ability to recite which famous poet?
4. According to Socrates, what would be one way for philosopher-rule to commence?
5. Which of the following ideas are not mentioned in Book VI?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)