|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Apology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Socrates' opinion, what is the third happiest social class of man in the world?
(a) The atheistic man.
(b) The tyrant.
(c) The philosophy student.
(d) The democratic man.
2. Ultimately, Socrates concludes that justice is______________.
(a) Completely unknowable and therefore obsolete.
(b) Completely unknowable, but nevertheless necessary.
(c) A proper organization, balancing the various faculties of the soul.
(d) The power of the stronger.
3. In Book IX, the democratic man is described by Socrates as one who_________.
(a) Will not fulfill his perverse desires because he has a conscience.
(b) Is just as evil as the tyrannical man.
(c) Cares only for himself.
(d) Is the most virtuous type of person.
4. What are the soldiers of the republic explicitly forbidden to do, according to Socrates?
(a) Commit atrocities, such as enslavement and land-burning, against fellow Greeks.
(b) Have sex with non-family members.
(c) Take bribes.
(d) Execute war criminals.
5. How does Polemarchus define justice?
(a) Doing good to one's friends and evil to one's enemies.
(b) Stealing from the rich and giving to the poor.
(c) Being fair in all contexts.
(d) Allowing each man to live his life freely.
Short Answer Questions
1. By the end of Book IV Socrates has still not proved _______________.
2. Before Socrates delivers his speech, he cross- examines Agathon about which of the following?
3. Why would candidates for a philosopher-king class in the republic be tested?
4. Why is Socrates worried about literature which contains wayward characters?
5. Which of the following does Socrates reason about poetry?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)