|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Apology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Wise souls, Socrates asserts, will always choose paths of_________.
2. According to Socrates' points in Book IV, the soul of a philosopher_____________________.
(a) Is better than the soul of a common man.
(b) Does not concern Socrates.
(c) Can be used for good and evil alike.
(d) Is easily persuadable.
3. How does Meno respond to Socrates' question: "Do bees differ as bees, because there are many different kinds of them; or, are they not rather to be distinguished by some other quality, as for example beauty, size, or shape?"
(a) "I should say that bees must differ from one another, as bees."
(b) "They're just bees. Who cares?"
(c) "I should answer that bees do not differ from one another, as bees."
(d) "I don't understand your question."
4. Which of the following does Socrates reason about Ion?
(a) Ion is a handsome, though misguided poet.
(b) Ion must be outside his mind when he recites poetry.
(c) Ion is sad when his crowds are sad and happy when his crowds are happy.
(d) Ion knows more than Socrates.
5. At whose house does the Symposium take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the character who narrates Symposium?
2. What does Socrates assert about his views of the ideal state?
3. What types of stories, according to Socrates, ought we to read to children when they are very young?
4. How does Socrates regard a timocracy?
5. Where is courage found in Socrates' republic?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)