|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Apology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book IX,what is the soldier's deepest pleasure?
(b) Material gain.
2. In his discussion of education, Socrates says that arithmetic, geometry, and physics are worthwhile pursuits for which two groups of people?
(a) Craftsmen and politicians.
(b) Philosophers and merchants.
(c) Traders and servants.
(d) Philosophers and military generals.
3. In Book IX, how does Socrates describe a tyrant?
(a) Confused and worried about the wrong things.
(b) Miserable, living in constant fear.
(c) Tired because he works long hours.
(d) Elated at his sheer power.
4. According to Socrates, the goal of his ideal city is__________________.
(a) To ensure the happiness of a particular class.
(b) To make a well-organized, perfect society.
(c) To find perfect knowledge.
(d) To conquer the world.
5. After the verdict, Socrates warns the Athenian jury that________.
(a) If they execute him, they will only be hurting themselves, as his role will be impossible to replace.
(b) They are acting unjustly by carrying out the entire trial in one day.
(c) If they exile him, he will spread slander about the Athenian justice system
(d) If they do not convict him, the public will think them weak.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Glaucon?
2. According to Socrates in Book VII, to what should all philosophers aspire?
3. In Socrates' republic, judges must__________.
4. According to Socrates, how should a good philosopher rule?
5. In Book X, Socrates returns to a discussion about _________.
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)