|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Apology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Socrates' radical math, the tyrant's life is 729 times________.
(a) Less pleasant than the philosopher's life.
(b) More worthy than an elected leader's life.
(c) Less exciting than the soldier's life.
(d) More laudable than the common man's life.
2. What is an oligarchy?
(a) Rule by the rich.
(b) Rule by the elite.
(c) Rule by the poor.
(d) Rule by the military.
3. "A good man [who is] grieving," says Socrates," will attempt to moderate his grief through _________."
4. In Ion, Socrates compares Ion to which of the following?
(a) Religious prophets.
(b) Greek artists and sculptors.
5. One theme that is present in Book X, and in other dialogues is______________.
(a) The myth of reincarnation.
(b) The immortality of the soul.
(c) Platonic forms manifest on earth.
(d) Learning as recalled knowledge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one example that Socrates uses to suggest that the city has already turned against him?
2. By the end of Book IV Socrates has still not proved _______________.
3. What does Socrates assert about his views of the ideal state?
4. According to Socrates in Book VII, to what should all philosophers aspire?
5. Who is the surprise visitor to the symposium, and why does he come?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)