|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Socrates claims that he learned about love from which of the following?
2. Ion is renowned for his ability to recite which famous poet?
3. Why does Socrates speak about dogs and other animals to Glaucon?
(a) To establish grounds for a society in which people function like animals in a natural kingdom.
(b) In order to show, by analogy, that it is difficult albeit not impossible to have people who are both gentle and aggressive.
(c) In hopes of finding the source of virtue.
(d) Socrates likes animals more than people.
4. Who gives the last formal speech at the symposium?
5. Who says, at the very end of Book II, "I completely endorse these patterns, and I would enact them as laws"?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Meno arrives in Athens, who is accompanying him?
2. How does Socrates rebut the definition of virtue offered by the poets?
3. Describe Meno's appearance and attitude when he meets Socrates.
4. Who gives the first speech at the symposium?
5. What types of stories, according to Socrates, ought we to read to children when they are very young?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)