|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To illustrate one facet of his argument, Socrates employs the help of which character?
(a) A nearby guard who speaks about virtuous people he knows.
(b) Meno's wife.
(c) A nearby slave boy to whom he teaches simple geometry.
(d) Plato to clarify Socrates' words for a perplexed Meno.
2. Who is Eryximachus?
(a) The last speaker and surprise guest at the symposium.
(b) A philosopher who attacks Pausanias' postion.
(c) A poet who argues that men and woman were once fused beings.
(d) A doctor who argues that love is like a medicine curing life's ailments.
3. Though Glaucon is primarily concerned about justice within the individual, Socrates first begins by analyzing __________.
(a) Justice as it relates to a small family.
(b) Glaucon's own virtue.
(c) Virtue as it is demanded of the city's leaders.
(d) Justice as it relates to an entire city's population.
4. Whose side is Adeimantus on, at least in the beginning of the dialogue?
(a) He does not advocate his own position, and he is on neither Glaucon's nor Socrates' side.
(d) He has his own distinct position.
5. When Ion admits to Socrates that he can only recite one poet's work well, Socrates is puzzled by which of the following?
(a) Ion's desire to speak with Socrates about his work.
(b) How Ion considers himself a philosopher.
(c) Ion's hesitation to answer questions about his family.
(d) How an artistic skill can be limited in its expertise.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Socrates walking with when he is stopped by a group of men urging him to come to Cephalus' house?
2. Why does Socrates speak about dogs and other animals to Glaucon?
3. Ion is renowned for his ability to recite which famous poet?
4. Why does Glaucon continue conversing with Socrates?
5. Describe Meno's appearance and attitude when he meets Socrates.
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)