|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Describe Thrasymachus' view of Socrates.
(a) He can't follow Socrates' logic.
(b) He hates Socrates and thinks Socrates is stupid.
(c) He likes the Socratic method of reasoning.
(d) He chastizes Socrates for asking questions freely, but dodging them when he is asked a question himself.
2. Though Glaucon is primarily concerned about justice within the individual, Socrates first begins by analyzing __________.
(a) Justice as it relates to a small family.
(b) Virtue as it is demanded of the city's leaders.
(c) Justice as it relates to an entire city's population.
(d) Glaucon's own virtue.
3. In order to respond to Glaucon's objections, Socrates ___________________.
(a) Analogizes justice to fine skills like woodworking and carpentry.
(b) Posits an ideal city so that he might discover where justice comes from.
(c) Changes the subject completely.
(d) Tries to find justice in animals before finding justice in humans.
4. What types of stories, according to Socrates, ought we to read to children when they are very young?
(a) False ones (myths), with a true element.
(b) False ones (myths) that are not grounded in any truth.
(c) True ones with false elements.
(d) True ones with only true elements
5. What analogies does Socrates employ to refute Thrasymachus' position on justice?
(a) He compares a money-maker to a philosopher and a clergyman.
(b) He compares the skill of a leader to the respective skills of a doctor, house-builder, and sailor.
(c) He compares justice to food, both nourishing the soul.
(d) He compares democracy to dictatorship and aristocracy.
Short Answer Questions
1. At whose house does the Symposium take place?
2. When pressed by Socrates to explain his skill, Ion asserts which of the following?
3. In the dialogue, Meno blames the confusion in his speech on which of the following?
4. Socrates concludes which of the following about virtue?
5. In Ion, Socrates concludes that Ion's ability to memorize poetry is which of the following?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)