|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Glaucon offers Socrates a proof that ____________________.
(a) An unjust lifestyle is more rewarding than a just one.
(b) Appearing unjust but actually being just is most desirable.
(c) A just life is better than a just one.
(d) Justice can't have a consistent definition.
2. Why does Socrates speak about dogs and other animals to Glaucon?
(a) In order to show, by analogy, that it is difficult albeit not impossible to have people who are both gentle and aggressive.
(b) To establish grounds for a society in which people function like animals in a natural kingdom.
(c) Socrates likes animals more than people.
(d) In hopes of finding the source of virtue.
3. Why does Glaucon continue conversing with Socrates?
(a) Because he is provoked by Adeimantus to do so.
(b) Because he is convinced he can win an argument against Socrates.
(c) Because he agrees with Socrates that injustice is better than justice.
(d) Because he is not satisfied with Socrates' response to Thrasymachus.
4. When Cephalus tends to his sacrifice, who immediately takes his place in conversation with Socrates?
5. Who says, at the very end of Book II, "I completely endorse these patterns, and I would enact them as laws"?
Short Answer Questions
1. To understand Ion's poetically inspired spirit, Socrates employs a metaphor of which of the following?
2. How does Polemarchus define justice?
3. Socrates intends his imagined city to be taken as a symbolic model for__________.
4. How does Socrates refute Polemarchus' definition of justice?
5. At whose house does the Symposium take place?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)