|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who said the following: "may not the art of which neither teachers nor disciples exist be assumed to be incapable of being taught?"
(b) Meno's wife.
(c) The slave boy.
2. Who is the last person to leave the symposium?
3. What analogies does Socrates employ to refute Thrasymachus' position on justice?
(a) He compares a money-maker to a philosopher and a clergyman.
(b) He compares justice to food, both nourishing the soul.
(c) He compares democracy to dictatorship and aristocracy.
(d) He compares the skill of a leader to the respective skills of a doctor, house-builder, and sailor.
4. At whose house does the Symposium take place?
5. In order to respond to Glaucon's objections, Socrates ___________________.
(a) Analogizes justice to fine skills like woodworking and carpentry.
(b) Tries to find justice in animals before finding justice in humans.
(c) Changes the subject completely.
(d) Posits an ideal city so that he might discover where justice comes from.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates' view of justice, a ruler should always:
2. From which poet does Polemarchus derive his definition of justice?
3. Socrates concludes which of the following about virtue?
4. Who is Eryximachus?
5. To understand Ion's poetically inspired spirit, Socrates employs a metaphor of which of the following?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)