|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the character who narrates Symposium?
2. How does Socrates rebut the definition of virtue offered by the poets?
(a) By giving Meno a solid definition of virtue.
(b) By proving to Meno that there are many commonly held virtues.
(c) By instructing Meno that it is impossible to have an abstract entity which moves other things but does not move itself.
(d) By showing Meno that all men desire good things, but that not all men are virtuous.
3. In his first argument, Glaucon asserts that is better to __________.
(a) Be unjust than appear unjust.
(b) Be just than appear just.
(c) Appear unjust than actually be just.
(d) Appear just than actually be just.
4. At whose house does the Symposium take place?
5. When Meno arrives in Athens, who is accompanying him?
(a) A large group of slaves.
(b) Nobody, he is alone.
(c) A small militia unit.
(d) His wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Socrates claims that he learned about love from which of the following?
2. In Ion, Socrates is concerned primarily with which of the following?
3. When Cephalus tends to his sacrifice, who immediately takes his place in conversation with Socrates?
4. Describe Thrasymachus' view of Socrates.
5. In Ion, Socrates concludes that Ion's ability to memorize poetry is which of the following?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)