|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Socrates speak about dogs and other animals to Glaucon?
(a) Socrates likes animals more than people.
(b) To establish grounds for a society in which people function like animals in a natural kingdom.
(c) In hopes of finding the source of virtue.
(d) In order to show, by analogy, that it is difficult albeit not impossible to have people who are both gentle and aggressive.
2. What is a symposium?
(a) An outdoor gathering of philosophers near a nobleman's residence.
(b) An all- night drinking party where various elite Greeks discuss the meaning of love.
(c) An ancient restaurant.
(d) A small club of Sophists.
3. Who gives the last formal speech at the symposium?
4. How does Dimotia characterize love?
(a) Grounded and rational, like a mathematical equation.
(b) Curious and enigmatic, like the Gods.
(c) Crude and deceitful, like the desire for immortality.
(d) Beautiful and pure, like virtue or reason.
5. Who gives the first speech at the symposium?
Short Answer Questions
1. What types of stories, according to Socrates, ought we to read to children when they are very young?
2. Though Glaucon is primarily concerned about justice within the individual, Socrates first begins by analyzing __________.
3. In Ion, Socrates is concerned primarily with which of the following?
4. How does Socrates refute Polemarchus' definition of justice?
5. When first asked by Socrates to define virtue, Meno responds with which of the following?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)