|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When he first meets Socrates, Meno asks the following question:
(a) How do we know if what we are seeing in the physical world actually exists?
(b) Is virtue taught, or is it inherent to good people?
(c) Is justice necessarily a good thing?
(d) Where he can learn how to be a philosopher?
2. According to Socrates' view of justice, a ruler should always:
(a) Put the interests of his people before himself.
(b) Strike injustice down with acts of injustice.
(c) Put his own interest before those of his people.
(d) Foster a combination of fear and loyalty within his subjects.
3. How does Socrates refute Polemarchus' definition of justice?
(a) Socrates reasons that it is impossible to determine what is fair in every situation.
(b) Socrates asserts that doing evil, even to an evil man, makes the doer unjust.
(c) Socrates shows Polemarchus that every man is intrinsically free, regardless of the law.
(d) Socrates shows Polemarchus that stealing from the rich is unjust.
4. Socrates concludes which of the following about virtue?
(a) If it manifests differently in different people, than it cannot have one definition.
(b) It cannot be taught and is therefore not knowledge.
(c) If it is the same in everyone, then we should be able to define it.
(d) If it can be taught then it is knowledge.
5. When Ion admits to Socrates that he can only recite one poet's work well, Socrates is puzzled by which of the following?
(a) How an artistic skill can be limited in its expertise.
(b) Ion's hesitation to answer questions about his family.
(c) Ion's desire to speak with Socrates about his work.
(d) How Ion considers himself a philosopher.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Socrates meets Ion, Ion has just returned from which of the following?
2. Socrates claims that he learned about love from which of the following?
3. Why does Socrates speak about dogs and other animals to Glaucon?
4. Who gives the last formal speech at the symposium?
5. Ion is renowned for his ability to recite which famous poet?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)