|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives the last formal speech at the symposium?
2. In order to respond to Glaucon's objections, Socrates ___________________.
(a) Changes the subject completely.
(b) Tries to find justice in animals before finding justice in humans.
(c) Analogizes justice to fine skills like woodworking and carpentry.
(d) Posits an ideal city so that he might discover where justice comes from.
3. According to Socrates' view of justice, a ruler should always:
(a) Put his own interest before those of his people.
(b) Foster a combination of fear and loyalty within his subjects.
(c) Strike injustice down with acts of injustice.
(d) Put the interests of his people before himself.
4. Before Socrates delivers his speech, he cross- examines Agathon about which of the following?
(a) Whether loves is necessarily possible.
(b) Agathon's poetic license.
(c) How one can know that he is truly in love.
(d) Whether love is necessarily beautiful.
5. How does Socrates refute Polemarchus' definition of justice?
(a) Socrates asserts that doing evil, even to an evil man, makes the doer unjust.
(b) Socrates shows Polemarchus that stealing from the rich is unjust.
(c) Socrates shows Polemarchus that every man is intrinsically free, regardless of the law.
(d) Socrates reasons that it is impossible to determine what is fair in every situation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What types of stories, according to Socrates, ought we to read to children when they are very young?
2. To understand Ion's poetically inspired spirit, Socrates employs a metaphor of which of the following?
3. Who is the surprise visitor to the symposium, and why does he come?
4. From which poet does Polemarchus derive his definition of justice?
5. Who is Eryximachus?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)