|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Socrates, what happens when "one [is] mistaken in his judgment, and harms his friends, and helps his enemies, unknowingly"?
(a) He is just.
(b) He is unjust.
(c) He claims to know justice, but doesn't.
(d) It doesn't matter; one would never do this.
2. In Socrates' ideal city, poets and soothsayers:
(a) Would lead religious ceremonies.
(b) Would not be allowed to speak falsely about the gods.
(c) Would be considered useless and expelled.
(d) Would be rich while the workers would be poor.
3. What does Socrates tell Ion about a person who can recite poetry well?
(a) Memorizing poetry is a way of balancing the soul.
(b) Ion should memorize philosophy instead of poetry.
(c) Ion must not know the meaning of poetry if he just memorizes it.
(d) Only a person who understands a poem's meaning could be a good reciter.
4. One large theme that permeates throughout Meno is:
(a) Non- virtuous people can still perform virtuous actions
(b) There can never be universal ethics.
(c) A proposition can only be deemed valid if it is testable in the empirical world.
(d) Learning is really a recollection of old knowledge.
5. What is the major point of Aristophanes' speech?
(a) Love is the desire for unity, because man and woman were once a unified being.
(b) Everything eventually dies, so it is pointless to love anything.
(c) Love is as complicated and confusing as good poetry.
(d) Men loving woman is necessarily better than men loving men, because the former allows for procreation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe Thrasymachus' view of Socrates.
2. In Ion, Socrates compares Ion to which of the following?
3. When he first meets Socrates, Meno asks the following question:
4. Who said the following: "may not the art of which neither teachers nor disciples exist be assumed to be incapable of being taught?"
5. When first asked by Socrates to define virtue, Meno responds with which of the following?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)