|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Glaucon offers Socrates a proof that ____________________.
(a) Appearing unjust but actually being just is most desirable.
(b) An unjust lifestyle is more rewarding than a just one.
(c) Justice can't have a consistent definition.
(d) A just life is better than a just one.
2. According to Socrates' view of justice, a ruler should always:
(a) Put his own interest before those of his people.
(b) Foster a combination of fear and loyalty within his subjects.
(c) Strike injustice down with acts of injustice.
(d) Put the interests of his people before himself.
3. Describe Meno's appearance and attitude when he meets Socrates.
(a) Young and handsome though impulsive and arrogant.
(b) Old, thoughtful, and wise.
(c) Middle- aged and curious.
(d) Youthful, though ugly and shy.
4. What poet is cited by Cephalus to explain the paradox of old age?
5. According to Socrates, what happens when "one [is] mistaken in his judgment, and harms his friends, and helps his enemies, unknowingly"?
(a) He claims to know justice, but doesn't.
(b) He is unjust.
(c) It doesn't matter; one would never do this.
(d) He is just.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Ion, Socrates compares Ion to which of the following?
2. In Ion, Socrates is concerned primarily with which of the following?
3. Ion is renowned for his ability to recite which famous poet?
4. Who is the last person to leave the symposium?
5. When Cephalus tends to his sacrifice, who immediately takes his place in conversation with Socrates?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)