|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates tell Ion about a person who can recite poetry well?
(a) Ion should memorize philosophy instead of poetry.
(b) Ion must not know the meaning of poetry if he just memorizes it.
(c) Memorizing poetry is a way of balancing the soul.
(d) Only a person who understands a poem's meaning could be a good reciter.
2. In the dialogue, Meno blames the confusion in his speech on which of the following?
(a) Himself, because he has not had ample time to prepare for a deep conversation.
(b) Socrates, because Socrates is not listening to Meno's points.
(c) Socrates, because Socrates is deliberately confusing Meno about a subject which Meno thought he knew.
(d) Himself, because he does not think himself a good exemplar of what virtue is.
3. How does Meno respond to Socrates' question: "Do bees differ as bees, because there are many different kinds of them; or, are they not rather to be distinguished by some other quality, as for example beauty, size, or shape?"
(a) "I should answer that bees do not differ from one another, as bees."
(b) "I don't understand your question."
(c) "I should say that bees must differ from one another, as bees."
(d) "They're just bees. Who cares?"
4. Who gives the first speech at the symposium?
5. Who is the last person to leave the symposium?
Short Answer Questions
1. Socrates concludes which of the following about virtue?
2. To understand Ion's poetically inspired spirit, Socrates employs a metaphor of which of the following?
3. What poet is cited by Cephalus to explain the paradox of old age?
4. What analogies does Socrates employ to refute Thrasymachus' position on justice?
5. Why does Glaucon continue conversing with Socrates?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)