|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To illustrate one facet of his argument, Socrates employs the help of which character?
(a) A nearby guard who speaks about virtuous people he knows.
(b) Meno's wife.
(c) Plato to clarify Socrates' words for a perplexed Meno.
(d) A nearby slave boy to whom he teaches simple geometry.
2. When first asked by Socrates to define virtue, Meno responds with which of the following?
(a) A vague unassuming definition which is accepted by Socrates.
(b) A theoretical ontology with ethical limitations on virtue.
(c) Examples of virtuous people with different lifestyles.
(d) A question, asking Socrates if this is really worth his time.
3. Who gives the first speech at the symposium?
4. Describe Meno's appearance and attitude when he meets Socrates.
(a) Youthful, though ugly and shy.
(b) Young and handsome though impulsive and arrogant.
(c) Middle- aged and curious.
(d) Old, thoughtful, and wise.
5. According to Socrates' insinuation, artistic knowledge is characterized as which of the following?
Short Answer Questions
1. When he first meets Socrates, Meno asks the following question:
2. Who is the surprise visitor to the symposium, and why does he come?
3. One large theme that permeates throughout Meno is:
4. Socrates claims that he learned about love from which of the following?
5. According to Socrates' view of justice, a ruler should always:
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)