|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Socrates walking with when he is stopped by a group of men urging him to come to Cephalus' house?
2. According to Socrates' insinuation, artistic knowledge is characterized as which of the following?
3. When Ion admits to Socrates that he can only recite one poet's work well, Socrates is puzzled by which of the following?
(a) How an artistic skill can be limited in its expertise.
(b) Ion's desire to speak with Socrates about his work.
(c) Ion's hesitation to answer questions about his family.
(d) How Ion considers himself a philosopher.
4. At whose house does the Symposium take place?
5. Describe Thrasymachus' view of Socrates.
(a) He chastizes Socrates for asking questions freely, but dodging them when he is asked a question himself.
(b) He likes the Socratic method of reasoning.
(c) He hates Socrates and thinks Socrates is stupid.
(d) He can't follow Socrates' logic.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Socrates rebut the definition of virtue offered by the poets?
2. Before Socrates delivers his speech, he cross- examines Agathon about which of the following?
3. Which of the following does Socrates reason about Ion?
4. In order to respond to Glaucon's objections, Socrates ___________________.
5. In Ion, Socrates is concerned primarily with which of the following?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)