|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Apology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Socrates, the goal of his ideal city is__________________.
(a) To ensure the happiness of a particular class.
(b) To find perfect knowledge.
(c) To make a well-organized, perfect society.
(d) To conquer the world.
2. When Socrates meets Ion, Ion has just returned from which of the following?
(a) A poetry recital contest in Epidarus.
(b) Socrates' trial.
(c) Agathon's drinking party.
(d) A game at the Coliseum.
3. Describe Thrasymachus' view of Socrates.
(a) He hates Socrates and thinks Socrates is stupid.
(b) He chastizes Socrates for asking questions freely, but dodging them when he is asked a question himself.
(c) He likes the Socratic method of reasoning.
(d) He can't follow Socrates' logic.
4. In <i>Book V</i>, what is the philosopher concerned with, according to Socrates?
(a) Absolute being.
(b) Beautiful things.
(c) Justice, and only justice.
(d) The afterlife.
5. How does Polemarchus define justice?
(a) Doing good to one's friends and evil to one's enemies.
(b) Being fair in all contexts.
(c) Stealing from the rich and giving to the poor.
(d) Allowing each man to live his life freely.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Socrates reason about Ion?
2. Socrates' republic would have a ruling _________.
3. How does Socrates plan to keep the soldiers of the republic from fighting?
4. With whom does Socrates discuss the education of soldiers and philosophers?
5. In Socrates' republic, judges must__________.
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)