Four Week Quiz A
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a symposium?
(a) An all- night drinking party where various elite Greeks discuss the meaning of love.
(b) An outdoor gathering of philosophers near a nobleman's residence.
(c) A small club of Sophists.
(d) An ancient restaurant.
2. What does Socrates tell Ion about a person who can recite poetry well?
(a) Only a person who understands a poem's meaning could be a good reciter.
(b) Ion should memorize philosophy instead of poetry.
(c) Ion must not know the meaning of poetry if he just memorizes it.
(d) Memorizing poetry is a way of balancing the soul.
3. Describe Meno's appearance and attitude when he meets Socrates.
(a) Youthful, though ugly and shy.
(b) Middle- aged and curious.
(c) Young and handsome though impulsive and arrogant.
(d) Old, thoughtful, and wise.
4. Who gives the last formal speech at the symposium?
5. When he first meets Socrates, Meno asks the following question:
(a) Is justice necessarily a good thing?
(b) Where he can learn how to be a philosopher?
(c) How do we know if what we are seeing in the physical world actually exists?
(d) Is virtue taught, or is it inherent to good people?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates' insinuation, artistic knowledge is characterized as which of the following?
2. What analogies does Socrates employ to refute Thrasymachus' position on justice?
3. What is the major point of Aristophanes' speech?
4. When Cephalus tends to his sacrifice, who immediately takes his place in conversation with Socrates?
5. How does Meno respond to Socrates' question: "Do bees differ as bees, because there are many different kinds of them; or, are they not rather to be distinguished by some other quality, as for example beauty, size, or shape?"
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)