|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When first asked by Socrates to define virtue, Meno responds with which of the following?
(a) A question, asking Socrates if this is really worth his time.
(b) Examples of virtuous people with different lifestyles.
(c) A vague unassuming definition which is accepted by Socrates.
(d) A theoretical ontology with ethical limitations on virtue.
2. Adeimantus interrupts Socrates in the beginning of Book VI to ask him ____________.
(a) When students get to become full-fledged philosophers.
(b) Why philosophers are either useless or evil.
(c) Whether philosophy is an activity or a profession.
(d) Why he wants philosophers to rule the city.
3. According to Socrates, what happens when "one [is] mistaken in his judgment, and harms his friends, and helps his enemies, unknowingly"?
(a) He claims to know justice, but doesn't.
(b) He is just.
(c) He is unjust.
(d) It doesn't matter; one would never do this.
4. Describe Thrasymachus' view of Socrates.
(a) He likes the Socratic method of reasoning.
(b) He chastizes Socrates for asking questions freely, but dodging them when he is asked a question himself.
(c) He hates Socrates and thinks Socrates is stupid.
(d) He can't follow Socrates' logic.
5. Socrates argues that the philosopher __________.
(a) Is quick-witted and knows how to get what he wants.
(b) Takes pleasure in knowledge, has a good memory, and is a virtuous person.
(c) Does not take kindly to dissent.
(d) Is idle only in body, but not in mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book V, Socrates admits which of the following about his republic?
2. Socrates concludes which of the following about virtue?
3. Why does Socrates discuss Asclepius' philosophy?
4. From which poet does Polemarchus derive his definition of justice?
5. What does Cephalus say to Socrates about old age?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)