|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Socrates explains that the common man sees the philosopher as useless because_________.
(a) He mistakes thoughfulness for idleness.
(b) He is blinded by ignorance, not seeing the intrinsic importance to their purpose.
(c) He is self-serving, and, therefore, despises those who judge him.
(d) He is concerned with the soul, not with books.
2. What analogies does Socrates employ to refute Thrasymachus' position on justice?
(a) He compares a money-maker to a philosopher and a clergyman.
(b) He compares justice to food, both nourishing the soul.
(c) He compares democracy to dictatorship and aristocracy.
(d) He compares the skill of a leader to the respective skills of a doctor, house-builder, and sailor.
3. In Book V, what is the philosopher concerned with, according to Socrates?
(a) Beautiful things.
(b) Absolute being.
(c) The afterlife.
(d) Justice, and only justice.
4. In Socrates' ideal nation, literature which depicts the afterlife should depict it as___________.
5. When first asked by Socrates to define virtue, Meno responds with which of the following?
(a) A theoretical ontology with ethical limitations on virtue.
(b) A vague unassuming definition which is accepted by Socrates.
(c) A question, asking Socrates if this is really worth his time.
(d) Examples of virtuous people with different lifestyles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe Meno's appearance and attitude when he meets Socrates.
2. To which other creative art does Socrates propose censorship?
3. In Republic: Book III, Socrates is first concerned with:
4. If led by true philosophers, Socrates argues that the republic would__________________.
5. How does Socrates plan to keep the soldiers of the republic from fighting?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)