|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Socrates refute Polemarchus' definition of justice?
(a) Socrates shows Polemarchus that every man is intrinsically free, regardless of the law.
(b) Socrates shows Polemarchus that stealing from the rich is unjust.
(c) Socrates asserts that doing evil, even to an evil man, makes the doer unjust.
(d) Socrates reasons that it is impossible to determine what is fair in every situation.
2. Who said the following: "may not the art of which neither teachers nor disciples exist be assumed to be incapable of being taught?"
(c) The slave boy.
(d) Meno's wife.
3. According to Socrates' points in Book IV, the soul of a philosopher_____________________.
(a) Is easily persuadable.
(b) Is better than the soul of a common man.
(c) Does not concern Socrates.
(d) Can be used for good and evil alike.
4. To which other creative art does Socrates propose censorship?
5. Socrates concludes which of the following about virtue?
(a) If it manifests differently in different people, than it cannot have one definition.
(b) If it is the same in everyone, then we should be able to define it.
(c) It cannot be taught and is therefore not knowledge.
(d) If it can be taught then it is knowledge.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he first meets Socrates, Meno asks the following question:
2. To illustrate one facet of his argument, Socrates employs the help of which character?
3. In Book V, what is the philosopher concerned with, according to Socrates?
4. Describe Meno's appearance and attitude when he meets Socrates.
5. In Book V, Socrates admits which of the following about his republic?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)