|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What assertion is made by Socrates when he responds to Adeimantus' point?
(a) Students become philosophers when they stop asking such questions.
(b) Philosophers make the best rulers.
(c) Philosophy is neither an activity nor a profession, but a calling.
(d) True philosophers are more concerned with absolute truth to the opinion of the masses, and only Sophists are evil.
2. Why is Socrates worried about literature which contains wayward characters?
(a) Socrates is not worried about such fictional characters.
(b) Socrates hates fiction.
(c) He wants every story for have a moral.
(d) He thinks that people will imitate such characters.
3. Who said the following: "may not the art of which neither teachers nor disciples exist be assumed to be incapable of being taught?"
(b) The slave boy.
(d) Meno's wife.
4. The common man is not concerned with beauty itself, but ___________.
(a) He concerns himself with only practical matters.
(b) He is concerned with more abstract notions.
(c) He is concerned for his soul.
(d) He is concerned with beautiful things.
5. In Socrates' ideal nation, literature which depicts the afterlife should depict it as___________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must the philosopher, according to Socrates in <i>Book VI</i>, employ in order to attain knowledge of "absolute good"?
2. What definition of virtue do Meno and Socrates borrow from "the poets"?
3. How does Socrates defend the point that men and women are equal?
4. From which poet does Polemarchus derive his definition of justice?
5. According to Socrates' points in <i>Book IV</i>, the soul of a philosopher_____________________.
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)