|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Socrates rebut the definition of virtue offered by the poets?
(a) By giving Meno a solid definition of virtue.
(b) By proving to Meno that there are many commonly held virtues.
(c) By showing Meno that all men desire good things, but that not all men are virtuous.
(d) By instructing Meno that it is impossible to have an abstract entity which moves other things but does not move itself.
2. Which demographic of the Athenian population does Socrates single out for discussion?
(a) The citizens.
(b) The lawyers.
(c) The sophists.
(d) The soldiers.
3. According to Socrates' view of justice, a ruler should always:
(a) Strike injustice down with acts of injustice.
(b) Put his own interest before those of his people.
(c) Put the interests of his people before himself.
(d) Foster a combination of fear and loyalty within his subjects.
4. How does Socrates plan to keep the soldiers of the republic from fighting?
(a) He reasons that if they make the most money, they will always be happy.
(b) He reasons that if they belonged to the same family, they would not fight.
(c) Socrates does not have a measure for ensuring peace among the guardian-class.
(d) He trusts that anyone who becomes a solider would put his state before his personal emotions.
5. What do Socrates' interlocutors object to in the beginning of Book V?
(a) All children and women should be shared (and raised) in common.
(b) All property would be owned by a family.
(c) They do not give Socrates any objections until later in the dialogue.
(d) Children must be born on the 7th of the month.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said the following: "may not the art of which neither teachers nor disciples exist be assumed to be incapable of being taught?"
2. Socrates argues that the philosopher __________.
3. What poet is cited by Cephalus to explain the paradox of old age?
4. What does Socrates assert about his views of the ideal state?
5. Why is Socrates worried about literature which contains wayward characters?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)