|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Socrates discuss Asclepius' philosophy?
(a) He has a practical approach of only treating patients whom he knows he can heal.
(b) His leadership is a good example of how not to lead.
(c) His leadership is well established.
(d) He disagrees with Socrates about the ideal republic.
2. Who is Glaucon?
(a) The ideal solider.
(b) Socrates' son.
(c) One of the interlocutors.
(d) Not philosophically ambitious.
3. Describe Meno's appearance and attitude when he meets Socrates.
(a) Middle- aged and curious.
(b) Young and handsome though impulsive and arrogant.
(c) Old, thoughtful, and wise.
(d) Youthful, though ugly and shy.
4. In the then-present Greece, Socrates believes that __________.
(a) There are very many true philosophers.
(b) There are very few true philosophers.
(c) The rise of a philosopher-king, though desirable, is an impossible scenario.
(d) Sophists fill the role of philosophers.
5. In the dialogue, Meno blames the confusion in his speech on which of the following?
(a) Socrates, because Socrates is not listening to Meno's points.
(b) Himself, because he does not think himself a good exemplar of what virtue is.
(c) Himself, because he has not had ample time to prepare for a deep conversation.
(d) Socrates, because Socrates is deliberately confusing Meno about a subject which Meno thought he knew.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Socrates' republic, judges must__________.
2. One large theme that permeates throughout Meno is:
3. Which demographic of the Athenian population does Socrates single out for discussion?
4. How does Socrates refute Polemarchus' definition of justice?
5. Socrates concludes which of the following about virtue?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)