|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book V, Socrates admits which of the following about his republic?
(a) Many people would have to be brainwashed before they would live in such a city.
(b) He hopes his city is built, just not in his lifetime.
(c) His city will rule the world.
(d) Though theoretically sound, such a city might not be actually possible.
2. Who said the following: "may not the art of which neither teachers nor disciples exist be assumed to be incapable of being taught?"
(a) Meno's wife.
(d) The slave boy.
3. In Socrates' ideal nation, literature which depicts the afterlife should depict it as___________.
4. Complete the comparison: philosophers have wisdom whereas common men have _______
5. How does Meno respond to Socrates' question: "Do bees differ as bees, because there are many different kinds of them; or, are they not rather to be distinguished by some other quality, as for example beauty, size, or shape?"
(a) "They're just bees. Who cares?"
(b) "I should answer that bees do not differ from one another, as bees."
(c) "I should say that bees must differ from one another, as bees."
(d) "I don't understand your question."
Short Answer Questions
1. From which poet does Polemarchus derive his definition of justice?
2. Who is Socrates walking with when he is stopped by a group of men urging him to come to Cephalus' house?
3. One large theme that permeates throughout Meno is:
4. In Republic: Book III, Socrates is first concerned with:
5. If led by true philosophers, Socrates argues that the republic would__________________.
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)