|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Describe Meno's appearance and attitude when he meets Socrates.
(a) Old, thoughtful, and wise.
(b) Middle- aged and curious.
(c) Youthful, though ugly and shy.
(d) Young and handsome though impulsive and arrogant.
2. According to Socrates, what are the two ways of training the soul?
(a) Mediation and medicine.
(b) Religion and philosophy.
(c) Conversation with oneself and with others.
(d) Physical exercise and literary education.
3. Who are the rulers in Socrates' republic?
(a) The doctors.
(b) The students.
(c) The warriors.
(d) The philosophers.
4. How does Meno respond to Socrates' question: "Do bees differ as bees, because there are many different kinds of them; or, are they not rather to be distinguished by some other quality, as for example beauty, size, or shape?"
(a) "I don't understand your question."
(b) "I should say that bees must differ from one another, as bees."
(c) "I should answer that bees do not differ from one another, as bees."
(d) "They're just bees. Who cares?"
5. According to Socrates, woman can____________.
(a) Offer proof of the immortal soul.
(b) Reach heaven more quickly than men.
(c) Lead the republic.
(d) Hold any job than men can hold.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said the following: "may not the art of which neither teachers nor disciples exist be assumed to be incapable of being taught?"
2. In Socrates' ideal nation, literature which depicts the afterlife should depict it as___________.
3. Who is Socrates walking with when he is stopped by a group of men urging him to come to Cephalus' house?
4. How does Socrates refute Polemarchus' definition of justice?
5. Who is Asclepius?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)