|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Polemarchus define justice?
(a) Doing good to one's friends and evil to one's enemies.
(b) Being fair in all contexts.
(c) Stealing from the rich and giving to the poor.
(d) Allowing each man to live his life freely.
2. In Socrates' ideal nation, literature which depicts the afterlife should depict it as___________.
3. Who is Socrates walking with when he is stopped by a group of men urging him to come to Cephalus' house?
4. Why is Socrates worried about literature which contains wayward characters?
(a) He thinks that people will imitate such characters.
(b) Socrates hates fiction.
(c) He wants every story for have a moral.
(d) Socrates is not worried about such fictional characters.
5. To which other creative art does Socrates propose censorship?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Socrates refute Polemarchus' definition of justice?
2. When he first meets Socrates, Meno asks the following question:
3. According to Socrates, what happens when "one [is] mistaken in his judgment, and harms his friends, and helps his enemies, unknowingly"?
4. The common man is not concerned with beauty itself, but ___________.
5. To illustrate one facet of his argument, Socrates employs the help of which character?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)