|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cephalus say to Socrates about old age?
(a) Most people think it is a curse, but one can enjoy freedom from youth's passions.
(b) Old age is the same as youth, it just depends on one's perspective.
(c) Wisdom is not worth death.
(d) Aging takes the life out of one's body.
2. When Meno arrives in Athens, who is accompanying him?
(a) Nobody, he is alone.
(b) A large group of slaves.
(c) His wife.
(d) A small militia unit.
3. What must the philosopher, according to Socrates in Book VI, employ in order to attain knowledge of "absolute good"?
(a) Guessing and hoping he gets lucky.
(b) Judgment against "absolute evil."
(c) Public opinion of theoretical subjects.
(d) Hypotheses about what is good in the world.
4. In Socrates' ideal nation, literature which depicts the afterlife should depict it as___________.
5. According to Socrates, what happens when "one [is] mistaken in his judgment, and harms his friends, and helps his enemies, unknowingly"?
(a) He is unjust.
(b) He claims to know justice, but doesn't.
(c) He is just.
(d) It doesn't matter; one would never do this.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Socrates' interlocutors object to in the beginning of Book V?
2. Why would candidates for a philosopher-king class in the republic be tested?
3. What definition of virtue do Meno and Socrates borrow from "the poets"?
4. When Cephalus tends to his sacrifice, who immediately takes his place in conversation with Socrates?
5. When first asked by Socrates to define virtue, Meno responds with which of the following?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)