|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the rulers in Socrates' republic?
(a) The students.
(b) The philosophers.
(c) The warriors.
(d) The doctors.
2. Why does Socrates discuss Asclepius' philosophy?
(a) He disagrees with Socrates about the ideal republic.
(b) His leadership is a good example of how not to lead.
(c) His leadership is well established.
(d) He has a practical approach of only treating patients whom he knows he can heal.
3. In Socrates' republic, judges must__________.
(a) Be fair and strict.
(b) Be completely removed from evil.
(c) Be fair and lax.
(d) Be good, but able to spot evil.
4. According to Socrates, where would the republic's leaders live?
(a) In a palace in the country's largest city.
(b) In the Academy.
(c) Among the citizens.
(d) Separately from the citizens.
5. If led by true philosophers, Socrates argues that the republic would__________________.
(a) Be the most powerful state in the world.
(b) Reflect the same perfect justice, beauty, and goodness of its leaders.
(c) Deal justly with foreigners.
(d) Not negotiate with other nations.
Short Answer Questions
1. One large theme that permeates throughout Meno is:
2. How does Socrates rebut the definition of virtue offered by the poets?
3. What does Cephalus say to Socrates about old age?
4. What poet is cited by Cephalus to explain the paradox of old age?
5. What definition of virtue do Meno and Socrates borrow from "the poets"?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)