|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Socrates' ideal nation, literature which depicts the afterlife should depict it as___________.
2. Who said the following: "may not the art of which neither teachers nor disciples exist be assumed to be incapable of being taught?"
(a) Meno's wife.
(b) The slave boy.
3. According to Socrates, where would the republic's leaders live?
(a) Separately from the citizens.
(b) In a palace in the country's largest city.
(c) Among the citizens.
(d) In the Academy.
4. How does Polemarchus define justice?
(a) Doing good to one's friends and evil to one's enemies.
(b) Being fair in all contexts.
(c) Stealing from the rich and giving to the poor.
(d) Allowing each man to live his life freely.
5. What does Cephalus say to Socrates about old age?
(a) Most people think it is a curse, but one can enjoy freedom from youth's passions.
(b) Aging takes the life out of one's body.
(c) Wisdom is not worth death.
(d) Old age is the same as youth, it just depends on one's perspective.
Short Answer Questions
1. One virtue that Socrates constantly refers to in his reasoning throughout Book III is_____________.
2. How does Thrasymachus first define justice?
3. What does Socrates assert about his views of the ideal state?
4. What definition of virtue do Meno and Socrates borrow from "the poets"?
5. According to Socrates, what would be one way for philosopher-rule to commence?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)