|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Socrates concludes which of the following about virtue?
(a) If it is the same in everyone, then we should be able to define it.
(b) If it can be taught then it is knowledge.
(c) If it manifests differently in different people, than it cannot have one definition.
(d) It cannot be taught and is therefore not knowledge.
2. How does Socrates rebut the definition of virtue offered by the poets?
(a) By showing Meno that all men desire good things, but that not all men are virtuous.
(b) By proving to Meno that there are many commonly held virtues.
(c) By instructing Meno that it is impossible to have an abstract entity which moves other things but does not move itself.
(d) By giving Meno a solid definition of virtue.
3. In Republic: Book III, Socrates is first concerned with:
(a) The corruption of the youth.
(b) The end of the world.
(c) Methods of practicing medicine.
(d) A citizens' revolt.
4. Who are the rulers in Socrates' republic?
(a) The students.
(b) The philosophers.
(c) The doctors.
(d) The warriors.
5. Why would candidates for a philosopher-king class in the republic be tested?
(a) To ensure that they can endure different types of intellectual life.
(b) To prove that they are stronger than their adversaries.
(c) To show that they have no skeletons in their closets.
(d) To enjoy a life of task and reward.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Socrates' ideal nation, literature which depicts the afterlife should depict it as___________.
2. To which other creative art does Socrates propose censorship?
3. What do Socrates' interlocutors object to in the beginning of Book V?
4. From which poet does Polemarchus derive his definition of justice?
5. How does Meno respond to Socrates' question: "Do bees differ as bees, because there are many different kinds of them; or, are they not rather to be distinguished by some other quality, as for example beauty, size, or shape?"
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)