|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Describe Thrasymachus' view of Socrates.
(a) He hates Socrates and thinks Socrates is stupid.
(b) He can't follow Socrates' logic.
(c) He likes the Socratic method of reasoning.
(d) He chastizes Socrates for asking questions freely, but dodging them when he is asked a question himself.
2. Describe Meno's appearance and attitude when he meets Socrates.
(a) Young and handsome though impulsive and arrogant.
(b) Youthful, though ugly and shy.
(c) Middle- aged and curious.
(d) Old, thoughtful, and wise.
3. One virtue that Socrates constantly refers to in his reasoning throughout Book III is_____________.
4. How are leaders chosen in Socrates' ideal republic?
(a) They would be elected by the common men.
(b) They would all be the soldiers in training who appeared to love their city more than most.
(c) Every citizen would have equal access to political power.
(d) The richest members of the republic will lead it.
5. How does Socrates defend the point that men and women are equal?
(a) Though they have different natures, they can perform the same tasks.
(b) Though men are physically stronger, women are emotionally stronger.
(c) Though they have different external organs, their internal ones are similar.
(d) Men need women to exist (and vice-versa), so man and woman are better regarded as parts of a whole rather than individuals.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following ideas are not mentioned in Book VI?
2. How does Socrates rebut the definition of virtue offered by the poets?
3. According to Socrates, what are the two ways of training the soul?
4. What does Socrates assert about his views of the ideal state?
5. To which other creative art does Socrates propose censorship?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)