|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the rulers in Socrates' republic?
(a) The warriors.
(b) The philosophers.
(c) The doctors.
(d) The students.
2. What does Socrates assert about his views of the ideal state?
(a) They are based on insidious accusations against the current ruling power.
(b) They will bring about the coming of a new empire.
(c) They are without flaw.
(d) They break certain established social norms.
3. Why does Socrates discuss Asclepius' philosophy?
(a) He disagrees with Socrates about the ideal republic.
(b) His leadership is well established.
(c) He has a practical approach of only treating patients whom he knows he can heal.
(d) His leadership is a good example of how not to lead.
4. Socrates concludes which of the following about virtue?
(a) If it is the same in everyone, then we should be able to define it.
(b) If it can be taught then it is knowledge.
(c) It cannot be taught and is therefore not knowledge.
(d) If it manifests differently in different people, than it cannot have one definition.
5. Who is Asclepius?
(a) A ruler who looks kindly among his subjects.
(b) A philosopher who offers a competing argument.
(c) A doctor who gave simple and quick treatments to his patients.
(d) A tyrant who reigns over his people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the soldiers of the republic explicitly forbidden to do, according to Socrates?
2. What does Cephalus say to Socrates about old age?
3. Socrates believes that the Sophists________________.
4. Describe Thrasymachus' view of Socrates.
5. In the dialogue, Meno blames the confusion in his speech on which of the following?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)