|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Socrates worried about literature which contains wayward characters?
(a) He wants every story for have a moral.
(b) He thinks that people will imitate such characters.
(c) Socrates hates fiction.
(d) Socrates is not worried about such fictional characters.
2. Describe Meno's appearance and attitude when he meets Socrates.
(a) Middle- aged and curious.
(b) Old, thoughtful, and wise.
(c) Young and handsome though impulsive and arrogant.
(d) Youthful, though ugly and shy.
3. What does Cephalus say to Socrates about old age?
(a) Wisdom is not worth death.
(b) Aging takes the life out of one's body.
(c) Old age is the same as youth, it just depends on one's perspective.
(d) Most people think it is a curse, but one can enjoy freedom from youth's passions.
4. Why does Socrates discuss Asclepius' philosophy?
(a) His leadership is well established.
(b) His leadership is a good example of how <i>not</i> to lead.
(c) He disagrees with Socrates about the ideal republic.
(d) He has a practical approach of only treating patients whom he knows he can heal.
5. Who is Socrates walking with when he is stopped by a group of men urging him to come to Cephalus' house?
Short Answer Questions
1. What definition of virtue do Meno and Socrates borrow from "the poets"?
2. Who is Glaucon?
3. Who is Asclepius?
4. How does Socrates plan to keep the soldiers of the republic from fighting?
5. How does Thrasymachus first define justice?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)