|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book V, what is the philosopher concerned with, according to Socrates?
(a) Justice, and only justice.
(b) The afterlife.
(c) Beautiful things.
(d) Absolute being.
2. According to Socrates' opinion, what is the second happiest social class of man in the world?
(a) The democratic man.
(b) The tyrant.
(c) The merchant.
(d) The timocratic man.
3. How does Socrates plan to keep the soldiers of the republic from fighting?
(a) He trusts that anyone who becomes a solider would put his state before his personal emotions.
(b) He reasons that if they belonged to the same family, they would not fight.
(c) Socrates does not have a measure for ensuring peace among the guardian-class.
(d) He reasons that if they make the most money, they will always be happy.
4. Who are the rulers in Socrates' republic?
(a) The philosophers.
(b) The warriors.
(c) The students.
(d) The doctors.
5. In Book IX, what is the philosopher's deepest pleasure?
(b) Material gain.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates, woman can____________.
2. Complete the comparison: philosophers have wisdom whereas common men have _______
3. In Book V, Socrates admits which of the following about his republic?
4. The tyrannical man, according to Socrates, is characterized by___________.
5. From Socrates' point of view, the philosopher is __________ than the tyrant.
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)