|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Socrates walking with when he is stopped by a group of men urging him to come to Cephalus' house?
2. The tyrannical man, according to Socrates, is characterized by___________.
(a) Extreme paranoia.
(b) A lack of temperance or restraint in any of his desires.
(c) A quickness to express wayward thoughts.
(d) Spending money frivolously.
3. What are the soldiers of the republic explicitly forbidden to do, according to Socrates?
(a) Commit atrocities, such as enslavement and land-burning, against fellow Greeks.
(b) Have sex with non-family members.
(c) Take bribes.
(d) Execute war criminals.
4. According to Socrates, what happens when "one [is] mistaken in his judgment, and harms his friends, and helps his enemies, unknowingly"?
(a) He is just.
(b) He is unjust.
(c) It doesn't matter; one would never do this.
(d) He claims to know justice, but doesn't.
5. In Book V, Socrates admits which of the following about his republic?
(a) His city will rule the world.
(b) Many people would have to be brainwashed before they would live in such a city.
(c) Though theoretically sound, such a city might not be actually possible.
(d) He hopes his city is built, just not in his lifetime.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the rulers in Socrates' republic?
2. When Cephalus tends to his sacrifice, who immediately takes his place in conversation with Socrates?
3. What analogies does Socrates employ to refute Thrasymachus' position on justice?
4. From which poet does Polemarchus derive his definition of justice?
5. Who is Glaucon?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)