|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Socrates' radical math, the tyrant's life is 729 times________.
(a) Less pleasant than the philosopher's life.
(b) More laudable than the common man's life.
(c) Less exciting than the soldier's life.
(d) More worthy than an elected leader's life.
2. According to Socrates, what happens when "one [is] mistaken in his judgment, and harms his friends, and helps his enemies, unknowingly"?
(a) It doesn't matter; one would never do this.
(b) He is just.
(c) He is unjust.
(d) He claims to know justice, but doesn't.
3. In Book V, what is the philosopher concerned with, according to Socrates?
(a) The afterlife.
(b) Beautiful things.
(c) Absolute being.
(d) Justice, and only justice.
4. In Book IX,what is the soldier's deepest pleasure?
(d) Material gain.
5. How does Socrates plan to keep the soldiers of the republic from fighting?
(a) Socrates does not have a measure for ensuring peace among the guardian-class.
(b) He trusts that anyone who becomes a solider would put his state before his personal emotions.
(c) He reasons that if they belonged to the same family, they would not fight.
(d) He reasons that if they make the most money, they will always be happy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Socrates think is the fourth (and least) happiest social class of man in the republic?
2. From Socrates' point of view, the philosopher is __________ than the tyrant.
3. What do Socrates' interlocutors object to in the beginning of Book V?
4. The tyrannical man, according to Socrates, is characterized by___________.
5. What does Socrates assert about his views of the ideal state?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)