|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the rulers in Socrates' republic?
(a) The doctors.
(b) The philosophers.
(c) The warriors.
(d) The students.
2. In Book V, Socrates admits which of the following about his republic?
(a) Many people would have to be brainwashed before they would live in such a city.
(b) He hopes his city is built, just not in his lifetime.
(c) Though theoretically sound, such a city might not be actually possible.
(d) His city will rule the world.
3. In Book IX, the democratic man is described by Socrates as one who_________.
(a) Is the most virtuous type of person.
(b) Will not fulfill his perverse desires because he has a conscience.
(c) Cares only for himself.
(d) Is just as evil as the tyrannical man.
4. The common man is not concerned with beauty itself, but ___________.
(a) He concerns himself with only practical matters.
(b) He is concerned with more abstract notions.
(c) He is concerned for his soul.
(d) He is concerned with beautiful things.
5. What poet is cited by Cephalus to explain the paradox of old age?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book IX, what is the philosopher's deepest pleasure?
2. How does Socrates refute Polemarchus' definition of justice?
3. According to Socrates' opinion, what is the second happiest social class of man in the world?
4. What does Cephalus say to Socrates about old age?
5. According to Socrates, what happens when "one [is] mistaken in his judgment, and harms his friends, and helps his enemies, unknowingly"?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)