|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Complete the comparison: philosophers have wisdom whereas common men have _______
2. Who is Glaucon?
(a) The ideal solider.
(b) One of the interlocutors.
(c) Socrates' son.
(d) Not philosophically ambitious.
3. In <i>Book IX</i>, what is the philosopher's deepest pleasure?
(c) Material gain.
4. What does Cephalus say to Socrates about old age?
(a) Most people think it is a curse, but one can enjoy freedom from youth's passions.
(b) Old age is the same as youth, it just depends on one's perspective.
(c) Wisdom is not worth death.
(d) Aging takes the life out of one's body.
5. In <i>Book IX</i>, the democratic man is described by Socrates as one who_________.
(a) Is just as evil as the tyrannical man.
(b) Cares only for himself.
(c) Is the most virtuous type of person.
(d) Will not fulfill his perverse desires because he has a conscience.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the rulers in Socrates' republic?
2. According to Socrates' opinion, what is the second happiest social class of man in the world?
3. What do Socrates' interlocutors object to in the beginning of <i>Book V</i>?
4. In <i>Book V</i>, Socrates admits which of the following about his republic?
5. According to Socrates' opinion, what does the common man's simple mind cause him to mistake?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)