|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Socrates' opinion, what is the third happiest social class of man in the world?
(a) The atheistic man.
(b) The democratic man.
(c) The tyrant.
(d) The philosophy student.
2. What do Socrates' interlocutors object to in the beginning of Book V?
(a) All property would be owned by a family.
(b) They do not give Socrates any objections until later in the dialogue.
(c) Children must be born on the 7th of the month.
(d) All children and women should be shared (and raised) in common.
3. In Book V, what is the philosopher concerned with, according to Socrates?
(a) Absolute being.
(b) Beautiful things.
(c) Justice, and only justice.
(d) The afterlife.
4. How does Socrates plan to keep the soldiers of the republic from fighting?
(a) He reasons that if they make the most money, they will always be happy.
(b) Socrates does not have a measure for ensuring peace among the guardian-class.
(c) He reasons that if they belonged to the same family, they would not fight.
(d) He trusts that anyone who becomes a solider would put his state before his personal emotions.
5. How does Thrasymachus first define justice?
(a) "Acting selflessly, so that the kingdom may prosper."
(b) "Nothing other than the advantage of the stronger."
(c) "Being impartial and unbiased in all decisions."
(d) "Making laws to one's own disadvantage."
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates' opinion, what is the second happiest social class of man in the world?
2. In Book V, Socrates admits which of the following about his republic?
3. What are the soldiers of the republic explicitly forbidden to do, according to Socrates?
4. What does Socrates assert about his views of the ideal state?
5. How does Socrates refute Polemarchus' definition of justice?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)