|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book V, what is the philosopher concerned with, according to Socrates?
(a) Beautiful things.
(b) Justice, and only justice.
(c) The afterlife.
(d) Absolute being.
2. What poet is cited by Cephalus to explain the paradox of old age?
3. Who is Socrates walking with when he is stopped by a group of men urging him to come to Cephalus' house?
4. The tyrannical man, according to Socrates, is characterized by___________.
(a) A lack of temperance or restraint in any of his desires.
(b) Spending money frivolously.
(c) A quickness to express wayward thoughts.
(d) Extreme paranoia.
5. Complete the comparison: philosophers have wisdom whereas common men have _______
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book IX, what is the philosopher's deepest pleasure?
2. From Socrates' point of view, the philosopher is __________ than the tyrant.
3. According to Socrates, what happens when "one [is] mistaken in his judgment, and harms his friends, and helps his enemies, unknowingly"?
4. What does Cephalus say to Socrates about old age?
5. How does Socrates plan to keep the soldiers of the republic from fighting?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)