|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Describe Thrasymachus' view of Socrates.
(a) He likes the Socratic method of reasoning.
(b) He chastizes Socrates for asking questions freely, but dodging them when he is asked a question himself.
(c) He can't follow Socrates' logic.
(d) He hates Socrates and thinks Socrates is stupid.
2. Who is Glaucon?
(a) Socrates' son.
(b) The ideal solider.
(c) Not philosophically ambitious.
(d) One of the interlocutors.
3. How does Socrates defend the point that men and women are equal?
(a) Though men are physically stronger, women are emotionally stronger.
(b) Though they have different natures, they can perform the same tasks.
(c) Men need women to exist (and vice-versa), so man and woman are better regarded as parts of a whole rather than individuals.
(d) Though they have different external organs, their internal ones are similar.
4. In Book IX, what is the philosopher's deepest pleasure?
(a) Material gain.
5. Whom does Socrates think is the fourth (and least) happiest social class of man in the republic?
(a) The king.
(b) The tyrant.
(c) The aristocrat.
(d) The democratic man.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Cephalus tends to his sacrifice, who immediately takes his place in conversation with Socrates?
2. Complete the comparison: philosophers have wisdom whereas common men have _______
3. Who is Socrates walking with when he is stopped by a group of men urging him to come to Cephalus' house?
4. According to Socrates, woman can____________.
5. According to Socrates' opinion, what is the second happiest social class of man in the world?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)