|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cephalus say to Socrates about old age?
(a) Most people think it is a curse, but one can enjoy freedom from youth's passions.
(b) Old age is the same as youth, it just depends on one's perspective.
(c) Wisdom is not worth death.
(d) Aging takes the life out of one's body.
2. The tyrannical man, according to Socrates, is characterized by___________.
(a) Spending money frivolously.
(b) A quickness to express wayward thoughts.
(c) A lack of temperance or restraint in any of his desires.
(d) Extreme paranoia.
3. According to Socrates' opinion, what is the third happiest social class of man in the world?
(a) The tyrant.
(b) The philosophy student.
(c) The democratic man.
(d) The atheistic man.
4. What poet is cited by Cephalus to explain the paradox of old age?
5. From Socrates' point of view, the philosopher is __________ than the tyrant.
(a) More rewarded.
(b) Immensely more happy.
(c) Worse off.
(d) Vested with less power.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Socrates refute Polemarchus' definition of justice?
2. How does Polemarchus define justice?
3. In Book V, Socrates admits which of the following about his republic?
4. What does Socrates assert about his views of the ideal state?
5. According to Socrates' view of justice, a ruler should always:
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)