|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cephalus say to Socrates about old age?
(a) Most people think it is a curse, but one can enjoy freedom from youth's passions.
(b) Wisdom is not worth death.
(c) Aging takes the life out of one's body.
(d) Old age is the same as youth, it just depends on one's perspective.
2. How does Thrasymachus first define justice?
(a) "Nothing other than the advantage of the stronger."
(b) "Making laws to one's own disadvantage."
(c) "Acting selflessly, so that the kingdom may prosper."
(d) "Being impartial and unbiased in all decisions."
3. The common man is not concerned with beauty itself, but ___________.
(a) He is concerned with more abstract notions.
(b) He is concerned for his soul.
(c) He concerns himself with only practical matters.
(d) He is concerned with beautiful things.
4. In Book IX, what is the common man's deepest pleasure?
(d) Material gain.
5. Whom does Socrates think is the fourth (and least) happiest social class of man in the republic?
(a) The democratic man.
(b) The aristocrat.
(c) The king.
(d) The tyrant.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates' view of justice, a ruler should always:
2. In Book IX, what is the philosopher's deepest pleasure?
3. How does Socrates plan to keep the soldiers of the republic from fighting?
4. The tyrannical man, according to Socrates, is characterized by___________.
5. How does Socrates defend the point that men and women are equal?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)