|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book IX,what is the soldier's deepest pleasure?
(a) Material gain.
2. What does Cephalus say to Socrates about old age?
(a) Wisdom is not worth death.
(b) Most people think it is a curse, but one can enjoy freedom from youth's passions.
(c) Aging takes the life out of one's body.
(d) Old age is the same as youth, it just depends on one's perspective.
3. When Cephalus tends to his sacrifice, who immediately takes his place in conversation with Socrates?
4. According to Socrates, what happens when "one [is] mistaken in his judgment, and harms his friends, and helps his enemies, unknowingly"?
(a) He is just.
(b) He is unjust.
(c) He claims to know justice, but doesn't.
(d) It doesn't matter; one would never do this.
5. From which poet does Polemarchus derive his definition of justice?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates, woman can____________.
2. How does Socrates refute Polemarchus' definition of justice?
3. According to Socrates' opinion, what is the third happiest social class of man in the world?
4. Who is Socrates walking with when he is stopped by a group of men urging him to come to Cephalus' house?
5. In Book IX, what is the common man's deepest pleasure?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)