|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What poet is cited by Cephalus to explain the paradox of old age?
2. From Socrates' point of view, the philosopher is __________ than the tyrant.
(a) Worse off.
(b) More rewarded.
(c) Immensely more happy.
(d) Vested with less power.
3. According to Socrates' opinion, what is the second happiest social class of man in the world?
(a) The merchant.
(b) The timocratic man.
(c) The democratic man.
(d) The tyrant.
4. What analogies does Socrates employ to refute Thrasymachus' position on justice?
(a) He compares justice to food, both nourishing the soul.
(b) He compares a money-maker to a philosopher and a clergyman.
(c) He compares democracy to dictatorship and aristocracy.
(d) He compares the skill of a leader to the respective skills of a doctor, house-builder, and sailor.
5. The tyrannical man, according to Socrates, is characterized by___________.
(a) A quickness to express wayward thoughts.
(b) Extreme paranoia.
(c) A lack of temperance or restraint in any of his desires.
(d) Spending money frivolously.
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe Thrasymachus' view of Socrates.
2. According to Socrates' view of justice, a ruler should always:
3. In Book IX, how does Socrates describe a tyrant?
4. In Book IX, what is the common man's deepest pleasure?
5. What do Socrates' interlocutors object to in the beginning of Book V?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)