|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Socrates walking with when he is stopped by a group of men urging him to come to Cephalus' house?
2. In Book V, what is the philosopher concerned with, according to Socrates?
(a) Beautiful things.
(b) Justice, and only justice.
(c) The afterlife.
(d) Absolute being.
3. What poet is cited by Cephalus to explain the paradox of old age?
4. Whom does Socrates think is the fourth (and least) happiest social class of man in the republic?
(a) The king.
(b) The democratic man.
(c) The aristocrat.
(d) The tyrant.
5. What does Socrates assert about his views of the ideal state?
(a) They will bring about the coming of a new empire.
(b) They break certain established social norms.
(c) They are without flaw.
(d) They are based on insidious accusations against the current ruling power.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Socrates, woman can____________.
2. How does Socrates refute Polemarchus' definition of justice?
3. How does Thrasymachus first define justice?
4. In Book IX,what is the soldier's deepest pleasure?
5. Who are the rulers in Socrates' republic?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)