|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Republic: Book IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the soldiers of the republic explicitly forbidden to do, according to Socrates?
(a) Have sex with non-family members.
(b) Execute war criminals.
(c) Take bribes.
(d) Commit atrocities, such as enslavement and land-burning, against fellow Greeks.
2. What does Cephalus say to Socrates about old age?
(a) Old age is the same as youth, it just depends on one's perspective.
(b) Aging takes the life out of one's body.
(c) Most people think it is a curse, but one can enjoy freedom from youth's passions.
(d) Wisdom is not worth death.
3. From which poet does Polemarchus derive his definition of justice?
4. According to Socrates' opinion, what does the common man's simple mind cause him to mistake?
(a) Emotions for arguments.
(b) A ceasing of pain for pleasure.
(c) Reason for illogic.
(d) Examples for definitions.
5. What poet is cited by Cephalus to explain the paradox of old age?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Cephalus tends to his sacrifice, who immediately takes his place in conversation with Socrates?
2. In <i>Book IX</i>, what is the philosopher's deepest pleasure?
3. In <i>Book V</i>, Socrates admits which of the following about his republic?
4. According to Socrates, woman can____________.
5. According to Socrates' view of justice, a ruler should always:
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)