|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Harry defeat Bianca?
2. What does Harry say to Susan, in Chapter 35, that finally gets her attention?
3. The vampires surrounding Michael and Harry, in Chapter 25, are dressed in what color?
4. What spell does Harry put on the Nightmare, in Chapter 23?
5. Why does Harry become weak in Lea's presence, in Chapter 27?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harry attend Bianca's ball?
2. What happens to Susan in Chapter 37?
3. What deal does Bianca propose to Harry?
4. What conclusion does Harry reach about why he was invited to Bianca's party?
5. What does Harry discover about Susan?
6. Why do the vampires poison the wine at the masquerade ball?
7. What happens between Kelly and Michael that makes all the vampires at the ball wary of Harry and Michael?
8. Why does Thomas come to see Michael and Harry in Chapter 32?
9. What does Harry do to escape from Lea?
10. Why does Harry make the decision to pursue the Nightmare into the graveyard alone, instead of waiting for Michael?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harry and Michael are both practitioners of magic, but the types of magic they use are different; compare and contrast them. How does Harry's magic work? What is the source of his power? What beliefs are attached to the use of his magic? What are its uses and limitations? What about Michael's? How is his power different from Harry's? For what purposes does he use his power? What implements does he use? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Harry's character as the novel's protagonist and the hero of its action. What are his values and priorities? What is most important to him? Which characters act as foils for him? Who are his antagonists? What conflicts center around him? Which one is central to the novel's plot, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
There are points in the novel when Harry sets aside his concerns for himself, and puts himself in danger to save others. Why does he do this? What are his core principles? Why does he feel, at times, as if he owes it to people to help them? What would happen if Harry did not put himself at risk to help others? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)