|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 37, what is different about Harry?
2. Which of Harry's companions vanishes, in Chapter 37?
3. How does Susan get into Bianca's party?
4. What animal does Harry turn into?
5. What does Harry suddenly realize, at the beginning of Chapter 29?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Susan in Chapter 37?
2. What does Harry do to ensure that his friends are safe from the Nightmare's attacks?
3. Why does Thomas come to see Michael and Harry in Chapter 32?
4. Why is Susan in danger at Bianca's ball?
5. What deal does Bianca propose to Harry?
6. How does Harry ultimately defeat Kravos?
7. What keeps Thomas and Justine together, according to her explanation to Harry?
8. What does Harry discover about Susan?
9. At the end of the novel, what happens between Harry and Susan?
10. Why were the Black Court Vampires nearly wiped out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thresholds, and their role in protecting a home's inhabitants from the supernatural, is a major theme in the novel. How is a threshold created? How does it protect those inside it from supernatural entities or forces? What happens to entities that attempt to cross it without an invitation? Why? What happens if they receive an invitation? What does Harry learn about the Nightmare, as a result of its ability to get to people even when protected by a strong threshold? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Diplomatic relations between the White Council and the three vampire Courts are often stressed. What are their gripes with one another? How do they resolve conflict? Which characters act as appointed liaisons between the four groups? Why do the laws of hospitality exist? What happens if those laws are violated? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Harry and Michael are both practitioners of magic, but the types of magic they use are different; compare and contrast them. How does Harry's magic work? What is the source of his power? What beliefs are attached to the use of his magic? What are its uses and limitations? What about Michael's? How is his power different from Harry's? For what purposes does he use his power? What implements does he use? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)