|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Harry defeat Bianca?
2. What enrages Harry, to the point where he loses control of himself and his magic, in Chapter 30?
3. What does Lea offer to do for Harry in Chapter 27?
4. Who does Harry share a hospital room with in Chapter 39?
5. Where does Harry find the name he uses to call the Nightmare, in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harry do to ensure that his friends are safe from the Nightmare's attacks?
2. Why is Thomas in attendance at Bianca's party?
3. How does Harry ultimately defeat Kravos?
4. What deal does Bianca propose to Harry?
5. Why is Susan in danger at Bianca's ball?
6. At the end of the novel, what happens between Harry and Susan?
7. What does Lea do for Harry in Chapter 30?
8. How did Susan procure an invitation to Bianca's ball?
9. What does Harry do to defeat the Nightmare, in Chapter 21?
10. How does Bob help Harry while imprisoned in Bianca's mansion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lydia is safe from the Nightmare while she is inside the church; though it destroys the church grounds, it is unable to enter the church itself. Why is the church such a common symbol for refuge and protection from evil? How does Harry feel about churches? Why? What is it about the church that keeps the Nightmare out, and keeps Lydia safe? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Nightmare,as the novel's main antagonist. What is the Nightmare? How does its character change throughout the story? How many characters actually embody the concept of the Nightmare? What does Harry learn while fighting it? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
White Court vampires are different from the others - instead of sanguinary vampires, they are psychics who feed off of emotion. Is this difference reflected in their behavior toward humans? If so, how? Do they actually harm the humans they feed off of? What is Thomas and Justine's relationship like? How does she feel when separated from him? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)