|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Harry, at the beginning of Chapter 34?
2. Why does Harry decide to attend Bianca's ball?
3. Why does Harry try to reach Susan mentally, in Chapter 35?
4. What is the vampires' response to Harry's costume at the masquerade ball?
5. Why doesn't Justine want Harry to investigate the noise he hears in the corner of the room, in Chapter 34?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Harry prevent Susan from eating him?
2. Why does Thomas betray Harry's group?
3. What keeps Thomas and Justine together, according to her explanation to Harry?
4. How does Bob help Harry while imprisoned in Bianca's mansion?
5. How does Lea help Harry defeat the Nightmare, in Chapter 21?
6. What happens when Harry opens the rift from the Nevernever into Bianca's mansion?
7. What happens between Kelly and Michael that makes all the vampires at the ball wary of Harry and Michael?
8. Why does Harry attend Bianca's ball?
9. Why were the Black Court Vampires nearly wiped out?
10. Why is Susan in danger at Bianca's ball?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harry's relationship with ghosts changes dramatically throughout the course of the novel. How does he feel about them at the beginning? With what types of ghosts does he commonly associate, and why? How does Harry use the help of a ghost to defeat Kravos? What about Bianca? What happens to these ghosts once their purposes are fulfilled? Do these experiences change the way Harry feels about ghosts in general? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Thresholds, and their role in protecting a home's inhabitants from the supernatural, is a major theme in the novel. How is a threshold created? How does it protect those inside it from supernatural entities or forces? What happens to entities that attempt to cross it without an invitation? Why? What happens if they receive an invitation? What does Harry learn about the Nightmare, as a result of its ability to get to people even when protected by a strong threshold? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Lydia is safe from the Nightmare while she is inside the church; though it destroys the church grounds, it is unable to enter the church itself. Why is the church such a common symbol for refuge and protection from evil? How does Harry feel about churches? Why? What is it about the church that keeps the Nightmare out, and keeps Lydia safe? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)