|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lea's interference tell Harry about her powers?
2. How does Lea react to finding out that Harry poisoned himself?
3. Why was Thomas chosen to represent the White Court at Bianca's ball?
4. How does Lea help Harry defeat the Nightmare?
5. Who tries to defeat Lea with Amoracchius at the end of Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conclusion does Harry reach about why he was invited to Bianca's party?
2. At the end of the novel, what happens between Harry and Susan?
3. What happens when Harry opens the rift from the Nevernever into Bianca's mansion?
4. How do the vampires react to Harry's costume at the masquerade ball?
5. How does Harry ultimately defeat Kravos?
6. Why does Thomas come to see Michael and Harry in Chapter 32?
7. What does Lea do for Harry in Chapter 30?
8. How does Harry finally defeat Bianca?
9. Why does Harry make the decision to pursue the Nightmare into the graveyard alone, instead of waiting for Michael?
10. Why were the Black Court Vampires nearly wiped out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thresholds, and their role in protecting a home's inhabitants from the supernatural, is a major theme in the novel. How is a threshold created? How does it protect those inside it from supernatural entities or forces? What happens to entities that attempt to cross it without an invitation? Why? What happens if they receive an invitation? What does Harry learn about the Nightmare, as a result of its ability to get to people even when protected by a strong threshold? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Harry's character as the novel's protagonist and the hero of its action. What are his values and priorities? What is most important to him? Which characters act as foils for him? Who are his antagonists? What conflicts center around him? Which one is central to the novel's plot, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Harry's relationship with ghosts changes dramatically throughout the course of the novel. How does he feel about them at the beginning? With what types of ghosts does he commonly associate, and why? How does Harry use the help of a ghost to defeat Kravos? What about Bianca? What happens to these ghosts once their purposes are fulfilled? Do these experiences change the way Harry feels about ghosts in general? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)