|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lea?
2. What state is Micky Malone in, when Harry first sees him in Chapter 12?
3. Why is Charity angry at Harry?
4. Why does Special Investigations visit Harry in Chapter 11?
5. What does Harry see about Micky's soul?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Harry as a result of his dream about the Nightmare?
2. What does Harry deduce about the spirit that destroyed the church grounds in Chapter 9?
3. What happens to Charity when Harry goes to warn Michael about the Nightmare?
4. Why does Michael disapprove of the methods Harry used to escape from Lea?
5. What is odd about Harry's dream?
6. What does Mortimer tell Harry about the being he is pursuing?
7. How do Mortimer's assumptions about Harry's reasons for visiting him help Harry to get information from him?
8. Why doesn't Harry want to pursue Agatha Hagglethorn into the Nevernever?
9. Why is Charity angry with Harry, in Chapter 7?
10. What does Harry's wizard's sight enable him to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The nail embedded in Amoracchius's hilt is a powerful symbol of Michael's faith. Would Amoracchius have as much power if it weren't for the relic with which it was made? Is it the nail that gives Amoracchius its power, or does the sword simply serve to channel Michael's faith magic, in much the same way Harry's blasting rod works? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Harry and Michael are both practitioners of magic, but the types of magic they use are different; compare and contrast them. How does Harry's magic work? What is the source of his power? What beliefs are attached to the use of his magic? What are its uses and limitations? What about Michael's? How is his power different from Harry's? For what purposes does he use his power? What implements does he use? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Harry and Lea have a complicated relationship. What deal did Harry originally make with Lea? What are her plans for him? Why are the details of their relationship so vague? Why does Lea treat Harry like her property sometimes, and show almost motherly concern for him at others? How does Harry circumvent his bargain with her, in the end? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)