|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives to babysit for Michael in Chapter 20?
2. What is Michael doing when Harry arrives at home in Chapter 20?
3. Who does Harry think has the best chance of defending himself/herself against the Nightmare?
4. Where is Harry going in Chapter 1?
5. What does Bob conclude about how the Nightmare can cross peoples' thresholds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harry discover, upon inspecting Agatha Hagglethorn's ghostly corpse?
2. Who is Harry Dresden?
3. What does Lea reveal to Michael in Chapter 6?
4. What does Mortimer tell Harry about the being he is pursuing?
5. Who shows up at Harry's house in Chapter 11, and why?
6. Why is Charity angry with Harry, in Chapter 7?
7. According to Harry's description, what is a ghost?
8. What does the Nightmare do to Karrin Murphy, in Chapter 19?
9. Why does Mister scratch Harry's face to wake him up, in Chapter 17?
10. What happens to Harry as a result of his dream about the Nightmare?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diplomatic relations between the White Council and the three vampire Courts are often stressed. What are their gripes with one another? How do they resolve conflict? Which characters act as appointed liaisons between the four groups? Why do the laws of hospitality exist? What happens if those laws are violated? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Nightmare,as the novel's main antagonist. What is the Nightmare? How does its character change throughout the story? How many characters actually embody the concept of the Nightmare? What does Harry learn while fighting it? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Harry and Michael have different feelings about the vampires, but neither likes them. What are Michael's objections to the vampires' activities? How does Michael feel when he is at their ball? What about Harry? Why does he choose to wear the cheesy costume that he knew would insult them? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)