|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Susan Rodriguez?
2. After leaving his protective summoning circle, what does Harry have difficulty doing?
3. In what condition does Harry find Lydia, in Chapter 16?
4. Why does Harry pursue Agatha into Nevernever?
5. Who does Harry think the Nightmare really is, in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Harry as a result of his dream about the Nightmare?
2. What does Harry do to help Lydia, in Chapter 4?
3. What happened to Agatha Hagglethorn in life?
4. What is Agatha Hagglethorn doing when Harry and Michael arrive at the hospital?
5. What happens to Charity when Harry goes to warn Michael about the Nightmare?
6. What is odd about Harry's dream?
7. What does Michael come to tell Harry, in Chapter 9?
8. What does Harry see when he looks at Micky using his wizard's sight?
9. What does Bob tell Harry about the Nightmare in Chapter 14?
10. How does Harry find Lydia in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Nevernever is an important place in the novel, and some of the important events take place there. What is Nevernever? How is it different from the afterlife? Who or what resides there, and why? How are new areas created? What happens to them when the ghosts that created them are destroyed? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Thresholds, and their role in protecting a home's inhabitants from the supernatural, is a major theme in the novel. How is a threshold created? How does it protect those inside it from supernatural entities or forces? What happens to entities that attempt to cross it without an invitation? Why? What happens if they receive an invitation? What does Harry learn about the Nightmare, as a result of its ability to get to people even when protected by a strong threshold? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Lydia claims to have a condition called Cassandra's Tears, but Harry is skeptical. What is Cassandra's Tears? Why is Harry skeptical of Lydia's claims? Is there any way for her to prove that her claims are correct? Why or why not? Do you think this interaction between Harry and Lydia reflects the author's opinion of psychics in the real world? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)