|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Agatha murder her husband?
2. Who is Michael?
3. What does Bob conclude about how the Nightmare can cross peoples' thresholds?
4. What do Michael and Harry notice about the cars in the parking lot?
5. What does Harry do to get the store clerk to tell him where Charity is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Nightmare do to Karrin Murphy, in Chapter 19?
2. How do Mortimer's assumptions about Harry's reasons for visiting him help Harry to get information from him?
3. Why does Mister scratch Harry's face to wake him up, in Chapter 17?
4. What does Harry do to help Lydia, in Chapter 4?
5. What is Harry doing as the novel opens?
6. What does Harry discover, upon inspecting Agatha Hagglethorn's ghostly corpse?
7. Why does Harry insist on receiving an invitation into the Malones' home, in Chapter 12?
8. Why doesn't Harry want to pursue Agatha Hagglethorn into the Nevernever?
9. Who shows up at Harry's house in Chapter 11, and why?
10. What does Harry deduce about the spirit that destroyed the church grounds in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
White Court vampires are different from the others - instead of sanguinary vampires, they are psychics who feed off of emotion. Is this difference reflected in their behavior toward humans? If so, how? Do they actually harm the humans they feed off of? What is Thomas and Justine's relationship like? How does she feel when separated from him? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The nail embedded in Amoracchius's hilt is a powerful symbol of Michael's faith. Would Amoracchius have as much power if it weren't for the relic with which it was made? Is it the nail that gives Amoracchius its power, or does the sword simply serve to channel Michael's faith magic, in much the same way Harry's blasting rod works? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Lydia is safe from the Nightmare while she is inside the church; though it destroys the church grounds, it is unable to enter the church itself. Why is the church such a common symbol for refuge and protection from evil? How does Harry feel about churches? Why? What is it about the church that keeps the Nightmare out, and keeps Lydia safe? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)