|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Harry think has the best chance of defending himself/herself against the Nightmare?
2. How was Harry's dream, in Chapter 17, different from the actual events?
3. Who are Kyle and Kelly Hamilton?
4. Where are Michael and Harry at the beginning of Chapter 7?
5. When do ghosts disappear, according to Harry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Harry help Micky in Chapter 13?
2. What does Harry see when he looks at Micky using his wizard's sight?
3. What is odd about Harry's dream?
4. How does Harry find Lydia in Chapter 16?
5. What happened to Agatha Hagglethorn in life?
6. Why does Harry insist on receiving an invitation into the Malones' home, in Chapter 12?
7. Why does Michael disapprove of the methods Harry used to escape from Lea?
8. Who is Harry Dresden?
9. What is Harry doing as the novel opens?
10. Why is Charity angry with Harry, in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Nightmare,as the novel's main antagonist. What is the Nightmare? How does its character change throughout the story? How many characters actually embody the concept of the Nightmare? What does Harry learn while fighting it? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Love, and its expression, is an extremely important concept in the novel. Why does Michael insist that Harry tell Susan how he feels about her? Why does the phrase "I love you" have so much power? How does Harry express his love for Susan, before he is able to articulate it? What happens after he does so? Do you think that their love for one another will reunite them, and help Harry save Susan? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
There are points in the novel when Harry sets aside his concerns for himself, and puts himself in danger to save others. Why does he do this? What are his core principles? Why does he feel, at times, as if he owes it to people to help them? What would happen if Harry did not put himself at risk to help others? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)