|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a Yuwipi medicine man?
2. What does Crystal decide she will do when her mother-in-law comes to visit?
3. Who is Herod's wife?
4. Who are the two principal characters?
5. What happens to Calvin Wind Soldier and his son Duane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Alberta try to dissuade Herod and the other men from going to find the medicine hole?
2. Why does Anna allow Joyce to marry Clifford?
3. What may have corrupted Red Dress' power?
4. What is special about Sioux soup?
5. Why does Jeannette visit Anna?
6. Why does Crystal lie to Martin?
7. What does Crystal think about Martin's artistic abilities?
8. How does Anna respond to Jeannette when she asks why people revere Herod but whisper fearfully about Anna?
9. Why does Margaret request a mirror?
10. What happens to Pumpkin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Automobile accidents frequently appear in this story.
Part 1) Give examples from the text.
Part 2) How are the accidents related?
Part 3) Why might the author specifically use the automobile as the murder weapon?
Essay Topic 2
The grass dance is a traditional Sioux dance.
Part 1) Describe this dance.
Part 2) What might be the purpose of the dance?
Part 3) What do we do in our society that serves the same purpose as the grass dance?
Essay Topic 3
Margaret Many Wounds has children with someone not of Native American culture.
Part 1) How does she handle this situation?
Part 2) Why does she handle it the way she does?
Part 3) How does racism and prejudice still affect our society today?
This section contains 1,394 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)