Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is thanked for the powwow?
2. What is a Yuwipi medicine man?
3. Who does Herod say is crazy?
4. Who does Margaret refuse to let in her house?
5. Where does Herod sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Anna allow Joyce to marry Clifford?
2. How does Charlene respond when her mother tells her that her father believes her to be stillborn?
3. What is the critical junction in Harley's life?
4. Why does Pumpkin jump into Lake Michigan?
5. How does Red Dress relate to the white culture?
6. Why do Jeannette's students not tell stories that are personal?
7. How does Chester entertain Anna when the Ferris wheel gets stuck?
8. Why does Margaret only now tell her daughters who their father is?
9. How is Christianity brought to the Native Americans?
10. What may have corrupted Red Dress' power?
This book is a bildungsroman, or coming of age story.
Part 1) Who is coming of age in this book?
Part 2) Who influences these characters?
Part 3) What troubles cross their paths?
Jeannette McVay idealizes the Native American culture.
Part 1) Give examples from the text that show this.
Part 2) Why does she have almost an obsession for Native American life and culture?
Part 3) How does this affect her view of her own culture and background?
The Sioux culture and Christianity frequently intertwine or clash in this novel.
Part 1) At times the religions and cultures blend well together. When? Why?
Part 2) How do they clash in this text?
Part 3) Why do the Native Americans have a difficult time incorporating both religions and cultures together?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)