|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clive do when he finds out Anna is pregnant?
2. What is Harley doing to help at the event?
3. What does Harley assure his grandmother?
4. About what does Henry hallucinate?
5. What do Martin and Crystal keep secret from their families?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Josephine change after her husband's death?
2. Why does Margaret only now tell her daughters who their father is?
3. What is Red Dress' major accomplishment at Fort Laramie?
4. How does Jeannette try to assimilate herself into the Native American culture?
5. What gives Pumpkin a somewhat incongruous appearance?
6. What is this story about?
7. What does Crystal think about Martin's artistic abilities?
8. How does Anna respond to Jeannette when she asks why people revere Herod but whisper fearfully about Anna?
9. What does Red Dress tell Harley?
10. Why do Clara Miller and Red Dress appear to Charlene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pumpkin, due to her desire for learning and her widened horizons, she does not comfortably fit in her Native American culture.
Part 1) How does her education clash with her culture?
Part 2) How does she try to stay connected to her culture?
Part 3) Predict how college would have affected Pumpkin's cultural connection. Why?
Essay Topic 2
Margaret Many Wounds has children with someone not of Native American culture.
Part 1) How does she handle this situation?
Part 2) Why does she handle it the way she does?
Part 3) How does racism and prejudice still affect our society today?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book often disagree over what aspects of the Sioux culture should be left intact and what should be allowed to change.
Part 1) Give examples from the text.
Part 2) What changes do you see in the culture over time?
Part 3) How does the Sioux culture blend with that of the culture around them?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)