|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is this story?
2. What is added to the corn soup?
3. Who is the blond "Easterner" who comes to teach at the reservation because of her fascination with Native American culture?
4. Martin visits regularly during her confinement, but what is he never allowed to do?
5. What does Mercury Thunder think about the Soldier family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two styles of grass dancers are there?
2. Why does Pumpkin jump into Lake Michigan?
3. What connection do Ghost Horse and Red Dress still have with their descendants today?
4. How does Anna respond to Jeannette when she asks why people revere Herod but whisper fearfully about Anna?
5. What is incorporated into this complexly woven tale?
6. What may have corrupted Red Dress' power?
7. What does Anna tell Crystal regarding her spirit?
8. Why does Dina die?
9. What does Red Dress tell Harley?
10. Why does Crystal lie to Martin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna Thunder is the obvious antagonist in this book.
Part 1) Give examples from the text to prove this.
Part 2) How do her actions ultimately affect her relationships with others?
Part 3) Predict her life in the future. Will she continue along the same path? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
This book is not written chronologically.
Part 1) How is the order of the book decided?
Part 2) Why does the author choose this order?
Part 3) Is this an effective tool for telling this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Native American spirits float in and out of this novel as if they are human characters.
Part 1) Who are some of these spirits?
Part 2) Why are they included in this story?
Part 3) Are they meant to actually exist, or are they used as symbols? Explain.
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)