|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harley's Pomeranian do to Charlene's purse?
2. How old is Charlene when she first witnesses the effect of her grandmother's love potion?
3. What does the spirit warrior say to Herod in his dream?
4. Why does Pumpkin feel as if she does not fit comfortably into her Native American culture?
5. Of whom is Harley Wind Soldier a descendant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Clara Miller and Red Dress appear to Charlene?
2. What historic event takes place while Margaret is dying?
3. What connection do Ghost Horse and Red Dress still have with their descendants today?
4. What gives Pumpkin a somewhat incongruous appearance?
5. What is Red Dress' major accomplishment at Fort Laramie?
6. Why does Martin's and Crystal's relationship scandalize the school?
7. Why does Mercury try to sabotage Charlene's schoolwork?
8. How does Jeannette try to assimilate herself into the Native American culture?
9. Why does Pumpkin jump into Lake Michigan?
10. How is Chaske different than other Sioux boys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters have vivid dreams.
Part 1) Give an example of some of these dreams.
Part 2) What is the purpose of the dreams?
Part 3) How do the characters use the dreams in decision-making?
Essay Topic 2
By the end of the book, Charlene is on her way to be with her parents for the first time.
Part 1) How might she be feeling? Why?
Part 2) How might her parents and paternal grandmother feel while waiting for her arrival? Why?
Part 3) Will Charlene be able to adjust to her new surroundings and blended culture? Use information from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book often disagree over what aspects of the Sioux culture should be left intact and what should be allowed to change.
Part 1) Give examples from the text.
Part 2) What changes do you see in the culture over time?
Part 3) How does the Sioux culture blend with that of the culture around them?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)