|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mercury absolutely set on having along the eaves of her roof?
2. What does the first wife turn into?
3. When the two trucks collide, what happens to Calvin and Duane?
4. Why is Lloyd taunting Henry?
5. What does Margaret Many Wounds request of her grandson, Harley Wind Soldier?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pumpkin jump into Lake Michigan?
2. Why does Harley push Pumpkin away from him?
3. Why do the men stay in Clara Miller's homestead?
4. How does Jeannette try to assimilate herself into the Native American culture?
5. What two styles of grass dancers are there?
6. What does Crystal do when she finds out Martin designs catalog covers for the Oscar H. Will Seed Co.?
7. What is incorporated into this complexly woven tale?
8. What may have corrupted Red Dress' power?
9. What is special about Margaret's grandmother's dress?
10. How is Chaske different than other Sioux boys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Sioux culture and Christianity frequently intertwine or clash in this novel.
Part 1) At times the religions and cultures blend well together. When? Why?
Part 2) How do they clash in this text?
Part 3) Why do the Native Americans have a difficult time incorporating both religions and cultures together?
Essay Topic 2
Pumpkin, due to her desire for learning and her widened horizons, she does not comfortably fit in her Native American culture.
Part 1) How does her education clash with her culture?
Part 2) How does she try to stay connected to her culture?
Part 3) Predict how college would have affected Pumpkin's cultural connection. Why?
Essay Topic 3
Jeannette McVay idealizes the Native American culture.
Part 1) Give examples from the text that show this.
Part 2) Why does she have almost an obsession for Native American life and culture?
Part 3) How does this affect her view of her own culture and background?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)