|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is added to the corn soup?
2. Who narrates this chapter?
3. How does this chapter open?
4. Why does Crystal protect the turtle amulet?
5. What does Mercury Thunder think about the Soldier family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Crystal lie to Martin?
2. Why does Lydia blame herself for Calvin's and Duane's deaths?
3. Who does Harley meet on his vision guest?
4. What two styles of grass dancers are there?
5. How does Josephine change after her husband's death?
6. How does Frank help Harley?
7. Why does Charlene decide to not commit suicide after the potluck dinner?
8. Why does Frank take pride in the two rugged scars on his face?
9. What does Anna tell Crystal regarding her spirit?
10. What is incorporated into this complexly woven tale?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Red Dress and her descendants are powerful Sioux.
Part 1) What power do they possess?
Part 2) How do they use this power?
Part 3) Who has power today in our culture? Do they use it wisely?
Essay Topic 2
The Sioux culture and Christianity frequently intertwine or clash in this novel.
Part 1) At times the religions and cultures blend well together. When? Why?
Part 2) How do they clash in this text?
Part 3) Why do the Native Americans have a difficult time incorporating both religions and cultures together?
Essay Topic 3
This book is not written chronologically.
Part 1) How is the order of the book decided?
Part 2) Why does the author choose this order?
Part 3) Is this an effective tool for telling this story? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,427 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)