|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of whom is Charlene Thunder a descendant?
2. What is Mercury's original name?
3. With whom does Herod have an affair?
4. What does Margaret whisper to Evie?
5. What does the first wife turn into?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Herod feel about his religion?
2. How does Lydia feel about Duane?
3. What is special about Sioux soup?
4. Why is Crystal an outcast in her tribe?
5. What causes Luther Faribault to climb on Mercury's roof?
6. Why does Alberta try to dissuade Herod and the other men from going to find the medicine hole?
7. How does Anna respond to Jeannette when she asks why people revere Herod but whisper fearfully about Anna?
8. What does this novel explore?
9. Why does Jeannette abandon James Fenimore Cooper?
10. What connection do Ghost Horse and Red Dress still have with their descendants today?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Sioux culture and Christianity frequently intertwine or clash in this novel.
Part 1) At times the religions and cultures blend well together. When? Why?
Part 2) How do they clash in this text?
Part 3) Why do the Native Americans have a difficult time incorporating both religions and cultures together?
Essay Topic 2
Pumpkin, due to her desire for learning and her widened horizons, she does not comfortably fit in her Native American culture.
Part 1) How does her education clash with her culture?
Part 2) How does she try to stay connected to her culture?
Part 3) Predict how college would have affected Pumpkin's cultural connection. Why?
Essay Topic 3
Frank is training to be the tribal shaman.
Part 1) Why is he training to do this?
Part 2) What is the job of a tribal shaman?
Part 3) Predict how Frank will be as the tribal shaman. Use information from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)