|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herod drop in the water as he talks to Wakan Tanka?
2. Why is Herod lonely?
3. How does Crystal help her mother-in-law, who has arthritis?
4. What is a Yuwipi medicine man?
5. Who does Herod say is crazy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henry drive straight for Calvin's truck?
2. What may have corrupted Red Dress' power?
3. Why does Frank take pride in the two rugged scars on his face?
4. What does Calvin tell Lydia about his dream?
5. Why is Martin Lundstrom nicknamed Tiny Tim?
6. Why does Martin's and Crystal's relationship scandalize the school?
7. What takes place the morning after Archie's motorcycle's demise?
8. What is Red Dress' major accomplishment at Fort Laramie?
9. How does Jeannette try to assimilate herself into the Native American culture?
10. Why does Jeannette abandon James Fenimore Cooper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lydia blames herself for her husband's and nephew's deaths and chooses to never speak again.
Part 1) Why does she choose to stay silent?
Part 2) How does this hinder her relationships with others?
Part 3) Do you believe she will speak again? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
This book is not written chronologically.
Part 1) How is the order of the book decided?
Part 2) Why does the author choose this order?
Part 3) Is this an effective tool for telling this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Automobile accidents frequently appear in this story.
Part 1) Give examples from the text.
Part 2) How are the accidents related?
Part 3) Why might the author specifically use the automobile as the murder weapon?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)