|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the tricky spider?
2. Who is Herod's best friend?
3. What is Mercury's original name?
4. Who is the blond "Easterner" who comes to teach at the reservation because of her fascination with Native American culture?
5. What happens to the motorcycle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Anna allow Joyce to marry Clifford?
2. Why do Jeannette's students not tell stories that are personal?
3. Why does Ghost Horse marry Red Dress posthumously?
4. What does Crystal think about Martin's artistic abilities?
5. What connection do Ghost Horse and Red Dress still have with their descendants today?
6. Who does Harley meet on his vision guest?
7. How does Josephine change after her husband's death?
8. Why does Margaret request a mirror?
9. Why does Henry drive straight for Calvin's truck?
10. Why does Jeannette visit Anna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Red Dress and her descendants are powerful Sioux.
Part 1) What power do they possess?
Part 2) How do they use this power?
Part 3) Who has power today in our culture? Do they use it wisely?
Essay Topic 2
Mercury/Anna uses potions to lure in men.
Part 1) Give examples from the text to prove this statement.
Part 2) Why does she feel compelled to use her powers in this way?
Part 3) How is her treatment of men similar to that of Red Dress?
Essay Topic 3
The Sioux culture and Christianity frequently intertwine or clash in this novel.
Part 1) At times the religions and cultures blend well together. When? Why?
Part 2) How do they clash in this text?
Part 3) Why do the Native Americans have a difficult time incorporating both religions and cultures together?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)