|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Herod have an affair?
2. Of what does Jeannette come to the reservation full?
3. Who is valedictorian of her high school and plans to attend Standford in the fall?
4. What do the sisters do after their mother's death?
5. What is this story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harley push Pumpkin away from him?
2. What takes place the morning after Archie's motorcycle's demise?
3. What is incorporated into this complexly woven tale?
4. What does Red Dress tell Harley?
5. Why does Margaret request a mirror?
6. How does Josephine change after her husband's death?
7. Why does Martin's and Crystal's relationship scandalize the school?
8. What does Calvin have Herod make him?
9. Where does Dina get the idea for rattlesnake hair ties?
10. How does Jeannette try to assimilate herself into the Native American culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters have vivid dreams.
Part 1) Give an example of some of these dreams.
Part 2) What is the purpose of the dreams?
Part 3) How do the characters use the dreams in decision-making?
Essay Topic 2
Lydia blames herself for her husband's and nephew's deaths and chooses to never speak again.
Part 1) Why does she choose to stay silent?
Part 2) How does this hinder her relationships with others?
Part 3) Do you believe she will speak again? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Sioux culture and Christianity frequently intertwine or clash in this novel.
Part 1) At times the religions and cultures blend well together. When? Why?
Part 2) How do they clash in this text?
Part 3) Why do the Native Americans have a difficult time incorporating both religions and cultures together?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)