|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Crystal decide she will do when her mother-in-law comes to visit?
2. How does Anna explain Crystal's birthmark?
3. What does Crystal like of Martin's?
4. What does Mercury Thunder think about the Soldier family?
5. What is Mercury Thunder?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mercury try to sabotage Charlene's schoolwork?
2. Why does Margaret request a mirror?
3. How is Chaske different than other Sioux boys?
4. What is the critical junction in Harley's life?
5. What do the two protagonists have in common?
6. Why does Crystal lie to Martin?
7. What does Margaret do as she becomes increasingly ill?
8. Why is Crystal an outcast in her tribe?
9. How does Anna respond to Jeannette when she asks why people revere Herod but whisper fearfully about Anna?
10. What is this story about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Native American spirits float in and out of this novel as if they are human characters.
Part 1) Who are some of these spirits?
Part 2) Why are they included in this story?
Part 3) Are they meant to actually exist, or are they used as symbols? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Frank is training to be the tribal shaman.
Part 1) Why is he training to do this?
Part 2) What is the job of a tribal shaman?
Part 3) Predict how Frank will be as the tribal shaman. Use information from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
Margaret Many Wounds has children with someone not of Native American culture.
Part 1) How does she handle this situation?
Part 2) Why does she handle it the way she does?
Part 3) How does racism and prejudice still affect our society today?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)