Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is thanked for the powwow?
2. What is a Yuwipi medicine man?
3. Who does Herod say is crazy?
4. Who does Margaret refuse to let in her house?
5. Where does Herod sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Anna allow Joyce to marry Clifford?
2. How does Charlene respond when her mother tells her that her father believes her to be stillborn?
3. What is the critical junction in Harley's life?
4. Why does Pumpkin jump into Lake Michigan?
5. How does Red Dress relate to the white culture?
6. Why do Jeannette's students not tell stories that are personal?
7. How does Chester entertain Anna when the Ferris wheel gets stuck?
8. Why does Margaret only now tell her daughters who their father is?
9. How is Christianity brought to the Native Americans?
10. What may have corrupted Red Dress' power?
Essay Topic 1
This book is a bildungsroman, or coming of age story.
Part 1) Who is coming of age in this book?
Part 2) Who influences these characters?
Part 3) What troubles cross their paths?
Essay Topic 2
The grass dance is a traditional Sioux dance.
Part 1) Describe this dance.
Part 2) What might be the purpose of the dance?
Part 3) What do we do in our society that serves the same purpose as the grass dance?
Essay Topic 3
Pumpkin, due to her desire for learning and her widened horizons, she does not comfortably fit in her Native American culture.
Part 1) How does her education clash with her culture?
Part 2) How does she try to stay connected to her culture?
Part 3) Predict how college would have affected Pumpkin's cultural connection. Why?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)