|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Crystal like of Martin's?
2. What stories will Charlene not tell?
3. Why does Henry move from beer to hard liquor?
4. From where does Herod Small War tell Frank and Harley Christianity comes?
5. Who is the blond "Easterner" who comes to teach at the reservation because of her fascination with Native American culture?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Archie do with the Harley Davidson motorcycle?
2. Why does Frank take pride in the two rugged scars on his face?
3. Why does Ghost Horse marry Red Dress posthumously?
4. Why does Dina die?
5. How does Jeannette try to assimilate herself into the Native American culture?
6. What do the two protagonists have in common?
7. What is incorporated into this complexly woven tale?
8. What does Herod visualize about Archie's dream?
9. What historic event takes place while Margaret is dying?
10. Why does Henry drive straight for Calvin's truck?
Essay Topic 1
Pumpkin, due to her desire for learning and her widened horizons, she does not comfortably fit in her Native American culture.
Part 1) How does her education clash with her culture?
Part 2) How does she try to stay connected to her culture?
Part 3) Predict how college would have affected Pumpkin's cultural connection. Why?
Essay Topic 2
Automobile accidents frequently appear in this story.
Part 1) Give examples from the text.
Part 2) How are the accidents related?
Part 3) Why might the author specifically use the automobile as the murder weapon?
Essay Topic 3
Through most of the book, Harley is depressed and has low self-esteem.
Part 1) Why is he like this?
Part 2) Give examples of this character flaw from the text.
Part 3) Compare and contrast Harley prior to the vision quest and after the vision quest.
This section contains 1,395 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)