|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Elk Nation tell Crystal is her father?
2. While the adults are watching Neil Armstrong walk on the moon, what does Margaret do?
3. What is Harley doing to help at the event?
4. What is happening to Margaret Many Wounds?
5. What does Alberta ask Herod?
Short Essay Questions
1. What connection do Ghost Horse and Red Dress still have with their descendants today?
2. What is this story about?
3. What does Anna tell Crystal regarding her spirit?
4. What does Calvin have Herod make him?
5. What does this novel explore?
6. What does Crystal think about Martin's artistic abilities?
7. How does Anna respond to Jeannette when she asks why people revere Herod but whisper fearfully about Anna?
8. What takes place the morning after Archie's motorcycle's demise?
9. Why does Pumpkin jump into Lake Michigan?
10. Why do Jeannette's students not tell stories that are personal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Red Dress and her descendants are powerful Sioux.
Part 1) What power do they possess?
Part 2) How do they use this power?
Part 3) Who has power today in our culture? Do they use it wisely?
Essay Topic 2
Frank is training to be the tribal shaman.
Part 1) Why is he training to do this?
Part 2) What is the job of a tribal shaman?
Part 3) Predict how Frank will be as the tribal shaman. Use information from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
The grass dance is a traditional Sioux dance.
Part 1) Describe this dance.
Part 2) What might be the purpose of the dance?
Part 3) What do we do in our society that serves the same purpose as the grass dance?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)