|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Josephine change Alberta's look?
2. What is added to the corn soup?
3. What happens to Calvin Wind Soldier and his son Duane?
4. With what man does Margaret have an understanding?
5. What does Margaret request?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Herod feel about his religion?
2. What two styles of grass dancers are there?
3. What causes Luther Faribault to climb on Mercury's roof?
4. Why does Margaret only now tell her daughters who their father is?
5. How does Chester entertain Anna when the Ferris wheel gets stuck?
6. Why does Lydia blame herself for Calvin's and Duane's deaths?
7. What is this story about?
8. What do the two protagonists have in common?
9. Why do Clara Miller and Red Dress appear to Charlene?
10. What is incorporated into this complexly woven tale?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters have vivid dreams.
Part 1) Give an example of some of these dreams.
Part 2) What is the purpose of the dreams?
Part 3) How do the characters use the dreams in decision-making?
Essay Topic 2
Through most of the book, Harley is depressed and has low self-esteem.
Part 1) Why is he like this?
Part 2) Give examples of this character flaw from the text.
Part 3) Compare and contrast Harley prior to the vision quest and after the vision quest.
Essay Topic 3
Native American spirits float in and out of this novel as if they are human characters.
Part 1) Who are some of these spirits?
Part 2) Why are they included in this story?
Part 3) Are they meant to actually exist, or are they used as symbols? Explain.
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)