|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the sisters do after their mother's death?
2. What does Margaret tell Harley so she can show him the moon?
3. What is surprising about Herod's reaction to the female grass dancer?
4. What is another name for a coming of age story?
5. Who is Herod's best friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anna tell Crystal regarding her spirit?
2. What does Calvin have Herod make him?
3. How does Red Dress relate to the white culture?
4. How does Lydia feel about Duane?
5. What historic event takes place while Margaret is dying?
6. What is the critical junction in Harley's life?
7. Why does Jeannette visit Anna?
8. How is Christianity brought to the Native Americans?
9. How does Chester entertain Anna when the Ferris wheel gets stuck?
10. What does Crystal think about Martin's artistic abilities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Frank is training to be the tribal shaman.
Part 1) Why is he training to do this?
Part 2) What is the job of a tribal shaman?
Part 3) Predict how Frank will be as the tribal shaman. Use information from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
The grass dance is a traditional Sioux dance.
Part 1) Describe this dance.
Part 2) What might be the purpose of the dance?
Part 3) What do we do in our society that serves the same purpose as the grass dance?
Essay Topic 3
Red Dress and her descendants are powerful Sioux.
Part 1) What power do they possess?
Part 2) How do they use this power?
Part 3) Who has power today in our culture? Do they use it wisely?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)