|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pumpkin feel as if she does not fit comfortably into her Native American culture?
2. What do Martin and Crystal keep secret from their families?
3. What is a habit of Evie's?
4. About what does Henry hallucinate?
5. Why does Crystal protect the turtle amulet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Calvin tell Lydia about his dream?
2. What is special about Margaret's grandmother's dress?
3. How is Christianity brought to the Native Americans?
4. What does Anna tell Crystal regarding her spirit?
5. Why does Margaret request a mirror?
6. What does Crystal think about Martin's artistic abilities?
7. What two styles of grass dancers are there?
8. How does Herod feel about his religion?
9. What does Herod visualize about Archie's dream?
10. How is Chaske different than other Sioux boys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book is not written chronologically.
Part 1) How is the order of the book decided?
Part 2) Why does the author choose this order?
Part 3) Is this an effective tool for telling this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
This book is a bildungsroman, or coming of age story.
Part 1) Who is coming of age in this book?
Part 2) Who influences these characters?
Part 3) What troubles cross their paths?
Essay Topic 3
Lydia blames herself for her husband's and nephew's deaths and chooses to never speak again.
Part 1) Why does she choose to stay silent?
Part 2) How does this hinder her relationships with others?
Part 3) Do you believe she will speak again? Why or why not?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)