|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Crystal protect the turtle amulet?
2. Of what does Jeannette come to the reservation full?
3. Who is thanked for the powwow?
4. With whom does Herod have an affair?
5. What is Mercury absolutely set on having along the eaves of her roof?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mercury try to sabotage Charlene's schoolwork?
2. What does Red Dress tell Harley?
3. What causes Luther Faribault to climb on Mercury's roof?
4. What does Margaret do as she becomes increasingly ill?
5. What is this story about?
6. What two styles of grass dancers are there?
7. What connection do Ghost Horse and Red Dress still have with their descendants today?
8. Why does Ghost Horse marry Red Dress posthumously?
9. What takes place the morning after Archie's motorcycle's demise?
10. Why does Jeannette abandon James Fenimore Cooper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Native American spirits float in and out of this novel as if they are human characters.
Part 1) Who are some of these spirits?
Part 2) Why are they included in this story?
Part 3) Are they meant to actually exist, or are they used as symbols? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Frank is training to be the tribal shaman.
Part 1) Why is he training to do this?
Part 2) What is the job of a tribal shaman?
Part 3) Predict how Frank will be as the tribal shaman. Use information from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
This book is a bildungsroman, or coming of age story.
Part 1) Who is coming of age in this book?
Part 2) Who influences these characters?
Part 3) What troubles cross their paths?
This section contains 1,386 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)