|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is thanked for the powwow?
2. What is a Yuwipi medicine man?
3. Who does Herod say is crazy?
4. Who does Margaret refuse to let in her house?
5. Where does Herod sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Anna allow Joyce to marry Clifford?
2. How does Charlene respond when her mother tells her that her father believes her to be stillborn?
3. What is the critical junction in Harley's life?
4. Why does Pumpkin jump into Lake Michigan?
5. How does Red Dress relate to the white culture?
6. Why do Jeannette's students not tell stories that are personal?
7. How does Chester entertain Anna when the Ferris wheel gets stuck?
8. Why does Margaret only now tell her daughters who their father is?
9. How is Christianity brought to the Native Americans?
10. What may have corrupted Red Dress' power?
Essay Topic 1
Mercury/Anna uses potions to lure in men.
Part 1) Give examples from the text to prove this statement.
Part 2) Why does she feel compelled to use her powers in this way?
Part 3) How is her treatment of men similar to that of Red Dress?
Essay Topic 2
Native American spirits float in and out of this novel as if they are human characters.
Part 1) Who are some of these spirits?
Part 2) Why are they included in this story?
Part 3) Are they meant to actually exist, or are they used as symbols? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Margaret Many Wounds has children with someone not of Native American culture.
Part 1) How does she handle this situation?
Part 2) Why does she handle it the way she does?
Part 3) How does racism and prejudice still affect our society today?
This section contains 1,398 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)