|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Margaret say is the father of Lydia and Evie?
2. Who deeply loves Red Dress?
3. What does Harley tell Pumpkin about his soul?
4. What is added to the corn soup?
5. For whom is the corn soup?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Archie do with the Harley Davidson motorcycle?
2. Why is Crystal an outcast in her tribe?
3. Why do Clara Miller and Red Dress appear to Charlene?
4. What gives Pumpkin a somewhat incongruous appearance?
5. What does Calvin tell Lydia about his dream?
6. How does Herod feel about his religion?
7. How does Josephine change after her husband's death?
8. What is incorporated into this complexly woven tale?
9. Why does Henry drive straight for Calvin's truck?
10. Who does Harley meet on his vision guest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters have vivid dreams.
Part 1) Give an example of some of these dreams.
Part 2) What is the purpose of the dreams?
Part 3) How do the characters use the dreams in decision-making?
Essay Topic 2
Pumpkin, due to her desire for learning and her widened horizons, she does not comfortably fit in her Native American culture.
Part 1) How does her education clash with her culture?
Part 2) How does she try to stay connected to her culture?
Part 3) Predict how college would have affected Pumpkin's cultural connection. Why?
Essay Topic 3
This book is a bildungsroman, or coming of age story.
Part 1) Who is coming of age in this book?
Part 2) Who influences these characters?
Part 3) What troubles cross their paths?
This section contains 1,386 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)