|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harley tell Pumpkin about his soul?
2. What happens to the motorcycle?
3. What is Charlene Thunder doing to the microphone?
4. With what man does Margaret have an understanding?
5. Who narrates this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Margaret only now tell her daughters who their father is?
2. How does Frank help Harley?
3. What does Crystal do when she finds out Martin designs catalog covers for the Oscar H. Will Seed Co.?
4. Where does Dina get the idea for rattlesnake hair ties?
5. Why is Martin Lundstrom nicknamed Tiny Tim?
6. What is Red Dress' major accomplishment at Fort Laramie?
7. What causes Luther Faribault to climb on Mercury's roof?
8. How does Herod feel about his religion?
9. Why do the men stay in Clara Miller's homestead?
10. What may have corrupted Red Dress' power?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jeannette McVay idealizes the Native American culture.
Part 1) Give examples from the text that show this.
Part 2) Why does she have almost an obsession for Native American life and culture?
Part 3) How does this affect her view of her own culture and background?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book often disagree over what aspects of the Sioux culture should be left intact and what should be allowed to change.
Part 1) Give examples from the text.
Part 2) What changes do you see in the culture over time?
Part 3) How does the Sioux culture blend with that of the culture around them?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters have vivid dreams.
Part 1) Give an example of some of these dreams.
Part 2) What is the purpose of the dreams?
Part 3) How do the characters use the dreams in decision-making?
This section contains 1,409 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)