Short Essay Questions Key
1. What does this novel explore?
It explores how family, friends, and ancestors influence the character and choices of the two protagonists.
2. What do the two protagonists have in common?
They both live on the Dakota Sioux reservation and are descendants of Dakota Sioux.
3. What connection do Ghost Horse and Red Dress still have with their descendants today?
Their lives still influence their present-day descendants.
4. What is this story about?
It is about how two young people manage to break away from the influences of tribe and family to become their own persons.
5. What is incorporated into this complexly woven tale?
Elements of Indian lore and fantasy are incorporated into this tale.
6. Why does Henry drive straight for Calvin's truck?
In his inebriated state, he believes Calvin's headlights are the eyes of the dead Indians who are trying to scare him.
7. What gives Pumpkin a somewhat incongruous appearance?
Her mother is full-blooded Menominee, and her father is half Indian and half Irish. Pumpkin inherits Irish red hair, as well as her mother's dark skin.
This section contains 1,850 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)