* "Grass Dancers" is set in North Dakota on the Dakota Sioux reservation.
* It is a bildungsroman, or coming of age story, of the two protagonists, Harley Wind Soldier and Charlene Thunder.
* They are both descendants of Dakota Sioux.
* Harley's father, Calvin, and brother, Duane, are killed in a head-on collision by Henry.
* Henry hallucinates that Calvin's truck's headlights are dead Indians' eyes that are trying to scare him.
* Henry aims his vehicle right for Calvin's truck, and Calvin and his son Duane are thrown through their windshield and land dead on Henry's hood.
* This chapter opens at a powwow in 1981.
* Charlene is testing the mike, which no one protests because her witch grandmother, Mercury, is there.
* The ladies' man, Harley, is helping erect a tent.
* Pumpkin, a red-headed, dark-skinned, valedictorian and soon-to-be student at Stanford, is feeling as if she no longer fits comfortably into...
This section contains 1,659 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)