|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month is it at the beginning of the chapter?
2. What does Charlie tell Dick he must do for six months?
3. What can Dick and Mary apply for to pay for school fees for a child?
4. What does Mary wrap in blankets to help keep Dick warm?
5. With what will the geraniums grow side-by-side?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary feel about the doctor's advise? How much does the doctor charge for his services?
2. Why does Mary want to have children? What does Dick say about it?
3. How do you think Mary really feels about Moses? Why?
4. How are the Turners regarded in the community?
5. How does Mary's condition change?
6. How does Mary feel about Dick?
7. How is Mary tragically flawed?
8. What new crop is being planted? How does Mary feel about it?
9. How does Charlie react to the way Mary talks to Moses?
10. What does Dick suggest Mary to do feel better? How does Mary react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the difficulties women have faced throughout history in divorcing their husbands and ending an unhappy marriage. Be sure to use chronological examples that illustrate how woman's rights have changed over time.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining the circumstances of a real unsolved murder. Be sure to address:
1) Main suspects in the case.
2) Major theories on what happened.
3) What you think is the truth.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the role of nature in THE GRASS IS SINGING, describing several scenes from the novel where nature plays a key role and addressing the relationship that two or more characters have with the natural world around them.
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)