|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what level does Dick's temperature peak?
2. What does Dick hate?
3. What is Mary's refuge in the house?
4. By what are people who keep to themselves troubled?
5. What disease does Dick get?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first law of white South Africa?
2. Describe the state of Dick and Mary's marriage before Dick gets sick.
3. How does Moses hold power over Mary? How does his manner change around her?
4. Why does Mary refuse to help Dick with the farm after he is well?
5. What does Moses do to help Mary? How does Mary feel about being helped by a native?
6. How does Mary feel about the doctor's advise? How much does the doctor charge for his services?
7. Describe Dick's appearance and mood when Charlie visits him.
8. What type of weather does Mary like best?
9. What is Mary blocking out? Is she aware of what is happening to her?
10. How does Mary feel about how she arrives at her fate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on isolation and the effects it can have on the human psyche. Be sure to address:
1) The effect of isolation on Mary Turner.
2) Real-life examples of humans struggling against isolation.
3) The psychological effects of isolation with research.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the role of human weakness in THE GRASS IS SINGING. Be sure to address:
1) How characters show weakness and how other characters react to this weakness.
2) The role of human fallibility in the story.
3) How reading THE GRASS IS SINGING can motivate readers to be stronger and exercise more control over their lives.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining why you think Moses sought revenge upon Mary. Be sure to draw upon evidence from the text and add your own ideas.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)