|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary wrap in blankets to help keep Dick warm?
2. What will come first to destroy the house?
3. What is Mary's refuge in the house?
4. How many children does Charlie's assistant have?
5. What does Mary's father smell like in her dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dick suggest Mary to do feel better? How does Mary react?
2. How does Mary feel about the idea of having children?
3. How does Mary's condition change?
4. How do you think Mary really feels about Moses? Why?
5. What type of weather does Mary like best?
6. How does Mary feel about managing the farm? How does she feel about the way Dick has been managing the farm?
7. What dream does Mary have about her father? What do you think its significance is? What else does Mary dream about?
8. Why does Mary refuse to help Dick with the farm after he is well?
9. What new crop is being planted? How does Mary feel about it?
10. Describe the compound where the workers and their families live.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining the main symbols used in the novel, the role they play in the story, and what these symbols represent. Examples include nature, the sun, marriage, the farm, stores, and so on.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the way Mary relates to other characters in the novel and how these interactions illustrate her character. Be sure to address:
1) How Mary relates to friends and the role she plays in a friendship.
2) How Mary relates to her husband.
3) How Mary relates to the servants and black people in general.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay providing the historical context for THE GRASS IS SINGING by Doris Lessing. Be sure to address:
1) Evidence from the text that provides the time setting for the novel.
2) Major historical events of the novel's time period.
3) How the attitudes and ideals of white culture, especially in regards to other races, have changed since the time period of the novel.
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)