|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does Mary refuse to help Dick?
2. Who owns Dick's farm?
3. About what does Mary dream?
4. In what do the workers live?
5. How does Mary look?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you think Mary really feels about Moses? Why?
2. How are the Turners regarded in the community?
3. How does Mary feel about how she arrives at her fate?
4. How does Mary's condition change?
5. What dream does Mary have about her father? What do you think its significance is? What else does Mary dream about?
6. What is the first law of white South Africa?
7. Why does Mary refuse to help Dick with the farm after he is well?
8. Describe the compound where the workers and their families live.
9. What does Dick have to do to make Mary love him?
10. How does Mary feel about the idea of having children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay detailing a plan for a successful farm in Africa. Do research on the types of crops common to Africa, conditions unique to farming on the African continent, and farming techniques that will help ensure success.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining the role of social pressure, social norms, social status, and social life in THE GRASS IS SINGING. Be sure to address how these factors influence characters throughout the story with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay providing the historical context for THE GRASS IS SINGING by Doris Lessing. Be sure to address:
1) Evidence from the text that provides the time setting for the novel.
2) Major historical events of the novel's time period.
3) How the attitudes and ideals of white culture, especially in regards to other races, have changed since the time period of the novel.
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)