|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of shoes is Mary wearing when she arrives at the farm?
2. Why is Marston's relationship with the Turners?
3. Who is arrested for murder?
4. What does Mary wish Dick would install in the house?
5. Who are the Afrikaners?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the two happy times during Mary's childhood?
2. How does Mary treat Samson?
3. Of what is every white woman in South Africa brought up to be afraid?
4. Describe the Turners' reputation in the community.
5. What type of store does Dick build on the farm? What does Mary think about it?
6. Describe Mary's social life.
7. What does Dick usually do when he fights with Mary?
8. How does Mary feel as she and Dick pull up to the farm?
9. Describe the stores in South Africa and their symbolism.
10. What did people in Lobengula's kingdom do when they commit a crime? What is the custom for talking about African history?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that serves as a plea for racial tolerance. Be sure to draw upon other major essays and papers on racial tolerance, bringing together a collection of ideas along with your own points into a coherent and compelling paper.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining the circumstances of a real unsolved murder. Be sure to address:
1) Main suspects in the case.
2) Major theories on what happened.
3) What you think is the truth.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the way Mary relates to other characters in the novel and how these interactions illustrate her character. Be sure to address:
1) How Mary relates to friends and the role she plays in a friendship.
2) How Mary relates to her husband.
3) How Mary relates to the servants and black people in general.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)