|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will Charlie Slatter salvage from the Turner farm when it goes under?
(b) The flooring.
(c) Chicken wire.
(d) The work animals.
2. What is Mary's refuge in the house?
(a) Her bedroom.
(b) The bath.
(c) The cellar.
(d) The sofa.
3. What does Mary hope for Dick to become?
(a) A strong man.
(b) A wealthy socialite.
(c) A caring father.
(d) A happier soul.
4. How does Moses comfort Mary?
(a) He gives her a glass of water and tells her to sleep.
(b) He tells her about the hardships he faced at home.
(c) He gives her a handkerchief to dry her eyes.
(d) He gives her a shot of whiskey and takes her out on the verandah.
5. What word appears in big black letters in Dick, Charlie, and Tony's minds?
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Mary's usual wakings?
2. Who owns Dick's farm?
3. Where does Mary find Moses?
4. What disease does Dick get?
5. What type of crop is being planted on the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mary blocking out? Is she aware of what is happening to her?
2. What type of weather does Mary like best?
3. Describe Mary's mood and state of mind as she awakes.
4. How do you think Mary really feels about Moses? Why?
5. What does Moses do to help Mary? How does Mary feel about being helped by a native?
6. How, and why, does Moses seek revenge on Mary? What other motives might he have for killing Mary?
7. How does Mary feel about managing the farm? How does she feel about the way Dick has been managing the farm?
8. How does Mary show weakness?
9. What dream does Mary have about her father? What do you think its significance is? What else does Mary dream about?
10. Describe the state of Dick and Mary's marriage before Dick gets sick.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)