|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what do the workers live?
(c) The guest house.
2. What does Mary's father smell like in her dream?
3. What type of animal breaks its leg on the farm?
4. What does Mary understand?
(a) The evil.
(d) The irony of her death.
5. What destroys the tobacco crop?
(b) Infertile soil.
(d) Dick's incompetent farming.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mary's last moment of happiness?
2. What does Charlie offer to do?
3. How many workers does Mary manage?
4. What is Mary's refuge in the house?
5. What age is Mary approaching?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dick have to do to make Mary love him?
2. How does Mary's condition change?
3. What dream does Mary have about her father? What do you think its significance is? What else does Mary dream about?
4. What is Mary blocking out? Is she aware of what is happening to her?
5. How does Charlie react to the way Mary talks to Moses?
6. How, and why, does Moses seek revenge on Mary? What other motives might he have for killing Mary?
7. Describe the state of Dick and Mary's marriage before Dick gets sick.
8. How do you think Mary really feels about Moses? Why?
9. Describe the compound where the workers and their families live.
10. What does Dick suggest Mary to do feel better? How does Mary react?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)