|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary decide to do?
(a) Get a farm of her own.
(b) Run away to England.
(c) Return to her old job.
(d) Divorce Dick.
2. What does Mary use to buy decorations for the house?
(a) Dick's savings.
(b) Her own money.
(c) Money she stole from her old boss.
(d) A quarter of the previous year's grain sales.
3. What does Mary have that Dick lacks?
(a) Strength and willpower.
(b) Vindictiveness and ruthlessness.
(c) Energy and efficiency.
(d) Patience and understanding.
4. What is the greatest satisfaction that Mary knows?
(a) Dick's abasement.
(b) Dick's approval.
(c) Dick's annoyance.
(d) Dick's amusement.
5. How does Samson's situation change?
(a) It gets worse.
(b) It improves daily.
(c) It says the same.
(d) It has its ups and downs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary always do in the afternoon?
2. How does Mary punish Samson for stealing?
3. What is the South African equivalent to the word "class?"
4. How many miles does Slatter live from the Turners?
5. What does Samson do better than Mary?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do people react to the newspaper article about the murder?
2. How does Charlie feel about his assistant, Marston?
3. Describe Mary's attempt to return to her old job and leave Dick.
4. What type of store does Dick build on the farm? What does Mary think about it?
5. How does Mary react to the first new servant?
6. What spoiled Mary's happiness with her single life?
7. Describe the the Slatters' visit to the Turner farm.
8. What does Mary think influenced her decision to get married?
9. Why is it strange that no one discusses the murder?
10. How does Marston feel about the murder? How does he feel about the way Slatter and the Sergeant talk to him?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)