|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can't Mary pay?
(a) Her hotel bill.
(b) The lawyer's fees to divorce Dick.
(c) The bill at the restaurant.
(d) The cost of her train ticket.
2. Who discovered the body?
(a) Farm boys.
(b) Charlie Slatter.
(d) Dick Turner.
3. How does Samson's situation change?
(a) It has its ups and downs.
(b) It improves daily.
(c) It says the same.
(d) It gets worse.
4. Of what was Mary doomed to be the subject?
(c) Bad jokes.
5. What does Mary always do in the afternoon?
(a) Work in the store for hours.
6. When will it rain?
(a) In a month.
(b) In a few days.
(c) In six weeks, if Dick and Mary are lucky.
(d) In the next season.
7. What does Tony say in the car after leaving the house?
(b) That he will not shut up.
(c) Something about responsibility.
(d) That Charlie has something to do with the murder.
8. What time does Dick usually go to bed?
9. What does Mary's old boss tell her at the job interview?
(a) That they do not rehire people.
(b) That the position has been filled.
(c) That she should go back to her husband.
(d) That she is overqualified.
10. What does Mary notice in the newspaper?
(a) An article on beekeeping.
(b) The death notice of an old friend.
(c) A job ad.
(d) An announcement of marriage.
11. To what does Mary tell herself she is getting close?
(a) Her roots.
(d) The breaking point.
12. What pictures does Dick have on his wall?
(a) A chocolate box lady and a child.
(b) A pepper hat girl and an infant.
(c) A candy-striped lass and a pleasant-looking grandmother.
(d) A strawberry basket woman and a woman of about thirty.
13. What does Mary have that Dick lacks?
(a) Energy and efficiency.
(b) Strength and willpower.
(c) Patience and understanding.
(d) Vindictiveness and ruthlessness.
14. Who is found murdered?
(a) Tina Turner.
(b) Mary Turner.
(c) Richard Turner.
(d) John Turner.
15. What is the best ground on Dick's farm?
(a) The flower beds.
(b) The tree plantation.
(c) The untouched veld.
(d) The potato garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Charlie come to Africa?
2. What did Dick buy in preparation for Mary's arrival at the farm?
3. How often is a trip made by car to the station?
4. Of what did Mary's brother and sister die?
5. Who confesses to the crime?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)