|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Mary pick up a pamphlet?
(b) Alpaca breeding.
(c) Copper mining.
2. Why is Marston's relationship with the Turners?
(a) He was going to watch their farm.
(b) He was going to help them turn their farm into a tobacco plantation.
(c) He is their real estate agent.
(d) He is a distant cousin of Dick Turner.
3. What is the best ground on Dick's farm?
(a) The potato garden.
(b) The tree plantation.
(c) The untouched veld.
(d) The flower beds.
4. How does Mary communicate with natives who do not speak English?
(a) Verandah sotho.
(b) Veld khoi.
(c) House tswana.
(d) Kitchen kaffir.
5. How does Mary ruin her first romantic relationship?
(a) She cheats on her lover with another man.
(b) She runs away and cries when the man kisses her.
(c) She complains and nags him until he leaves her.
(d) She refuses to marry him.
6. Who discovered the body?
(a) Dick Turner.
(b) Charlie Slatter.
(c) Farm boys.
7. What type of shoes is Mary wearing when she arrives at the farm?
(a) Hiking boots.
(c) Business shoes.
(d) High heels.
8. How many miles does Slatter live from the Turners?
(b) Two and a half.
9. What does Mary wish Dick would install in the house?
(a) Air conditioning.
(b) Proper flooring.
10. How have the last few months made Mary feel?
11. What does Mary order the boy to clean?
(a) The bath.
(b) The floors.
(c) The kitchen.
12. Where is "Home" for Mary, even though she has never been there?
13. About what do Dick and Mary fight?
(a) Whether or not the Slatters are good people.
(b) When they will have children.
(c) How to manage the natives.
(d) The fact that the house has no ceilings.
14. Where has Mary not been since her marriage?
(a) The cinema.
15. What can't Mary pay?
(a) Her hotel bill.
(b) The lawyer's fees to divorce Dick.
(c) The cost of her train ticket.
(d) The bill at the restaurant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What loses a wheel?
2. What does Mary have that Dick lacks?
3. What did Charlie once do in a fit of rage?
4. What does Mary's old boss tell her at the job interview?
5. Of what was Mary doomed to be the subject?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)