|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Samson's situation change?
(a) It has its ups and downs.
(b) It says the same.
(c) It gets worse.
(d) It improves daily.
2. What springs up along the railway lines?
3. What does Mary accuse Samson of stealing?
4. At what time do Mary and Dick reach the farm?
(b) Early in the morning.
(c) Mid afternoon.
(d) Late at night.
5. How many acres of land does Dick's farm have?
(a) Seven hundred.
(b) A little over two hundred.
(c) Nine-hundred and six.
(d) Three thousand.
6. How many prospective employees does Mary go through before she finds one she will keep?
7. What does Mary use to buy decorations for the house?
(a) A quarter of the previous year's grain sales.
(b) Her own money.
(c) Dick's savings.
(d) Money she stole from her old boss.
8. What changes Mary's attitude towards her life?
(a) She overhears her friends talking about how she will never get married.
(b) She learns that she was adopted.
(c) She wakes up one day and realizes that she is miserable.
(d) She meets a man and falls instantly in love.
9. How does Mary punish Samson for stealing?
(a) She fires him.
(b) She screams at him for an hour.
(c) She docks his wages.
(d) She beats him with a sjambok.
10. What did Mary and Dick not discuss before getting married?
(a) A prenuptial agreement.
(d) Where they would go for their honeymoon.
11. Of what did Mary's brother and sister die?
12. How does Mary ruin her first romantic relationship?
(a) She complains and nags him until he leaves her.
(b) She runs away and cries when the man kisses her.
(c) She cheats on her lover with another man.
(d) She refuses to marry him.
13. What did Dick buy in preparation for Mary's arrival at the farm?
(a) A mirror.
(c) A cake.
(d) A bed.
14. How often is a trip made by car to the station?
(a) Once every two weeks.
(b) Once a week.
(c) Once a month.
(d) Once every two months.
15. What does Samson do after being punished?
(a) Kill Mary.
(c) Go in a corner and cry.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long have Dick and Mary been married at this point in the story?
2. How far away is the station from the farm?
3. What does Mary have that Dick lacks?
4. What did Charlie once do in a fit of rage?
5. How does Dick react to Samson's departure?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)