|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What becomes an obsession for Mary?
(b) The new servant.
2. What does Mary decide to do?
(a) Run away to England.
(b) Return to her old job.
(c) Divorce Dick.
(d) Get a farm of her own.
3. Where has Mary not been since her marriage?
(c) The cinema.
4. How does Mary punish Samson for stealing?
(a) She fires him.
(b) She beats him with a sjambok.
(c) She screams at him for an hour.
(d) She docks his wages.
5. What time does Dick usually go to bed?
6. What happens to Dick Turner after his wife is murdered?
(a) He goes mad.
(b) He goes off and kills himself.
(c) He goes on a rampage.
(d) He keeps going on about how much he hated his wife.
7. What does Tony realize about "white civilization?"
(a) That it can never have human relations with black people.
(b) That it has no place in Africa.
(c) That it is superior and should be protected.
(d) That it is doomed to failure.
8. What changes Mary's attitude towards her life?
(a) She meets a man and falls instantly in love.
(b) She learns that she was adopted.
(c) She overhears her friends talking about how she will never get married.
(d) She wakes up one day and realizes that she is miserable.
9. What word best describes Dick Turner's financial situation?
10. Why is Marston's relationship with the Turners?
(a) He is their real estate agent.
(b) He was going to watch their farm.
(c) He was going to help them turn their farm into a tobacco plantation.
(d) He is a distant cousin of Dick Turner.
11. What type of clothes does Mary buy for herself?
(a) Childish and simple.
(d) Elegant and expensive.
12. How much money did Dick borrow after he and Mary got married?
(a) Two hundred pounds.
(b) Twenty farthings.
(c) Seventy-five euros.
(d) Ten thousand shillings.
13. To what does Mary tell herself she is getting close?
(a) Her roots.
(d) The breaking point.
14. How does Mary communicate with natives who do not speak English?
(a) Veld khoi.
(b) Kitchen kaffir.
(c) Verandah sotho.
(d) House tswana.
15. What product causes the most loss at the store?
(b) The food that rots before it is sold.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mary ruin her first romantic relationship?
2. What does Samson let out?
3. Who is arrested for murder?
4. At what time do Mary and Dick reach the farm?
5. Of what did Mary's brother and sister die?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)