|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Riley's younger sister?
2. Who does the narrator take piano lessons from?
3. Where does the baker go to have a time-off beer in the town?
4. Who strips off Riley's shirt in Chapter 6?
5. What does Little Homer wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation do Collin and Dolly have once he has returned to the tree house in Chapter 4?
2. How does the Judge tell the group to prepare for the battle at the tree in Chapter 6?
3. What unexpected characters does the narrator make note of who appear at the tree in Chapter 6?
4. What does Dolly tell Verena about shame in Chapter 6?
5. What happens when Collin and Riley return to the tree house in Chapter 4?
6. What does Collin do in Chapter 4 that gives him a feeling of pride?
7. What news and provisions does Riley return with in Chapter 4?
8. What do Riley and Collin do in the beginning of Chapter 4?
9. What internal conflict does Dolly face at the end of Chapter 5?
10. What news does Riley overhear outside the jailhouse in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the time and place of The Grass Harp affect the characters, actions, and events in the story? What mood is established through the setting?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Dolly and Verena. How are they similar? How are they different? How do the actions of these characters drive the action of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of Trust in The Grass Harp. In which chapter is trust established between the main characters? Who prompts this event? How?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)