|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the town livery?
2. Who strips off Riley's shirt in Chapter 6?
3. What is the name of the bakery from which Riley brings rolls to the tree house?
4. What is the name of the grocery store in town that Verena does not own?
5. What is Maude's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Riley overhear outside the jailhouse in Chapter 4?
2. What choice does Dolly make at the end of Chapter 6? Why?
3. What does Collin do in Chapter 4 that gives him a feeling of pride?
4. Whom does the narrator encounter while hiding out in Riley's car in Chapter 5? What does this character do?
5. What news and provisions does Riley return with in Chapter 4?
6. What does Sister Ida do after Riley is shot?
7. What do Riley and Collin do in the beginning of Chapter 4?
8. What does Dolly tell Verena about shame in Chapter 6?
9. Where do Collin and Riley go in Chapter 5? Why?
10. How is Riley shot during the fight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of Love in the novel. What different forms of love are represented and by whom? How does the search for love drive the characters and their actions?
Essay Topic 2
What is it about the narrator that sets him apart from society and the community? How is this character the protagonist? How do his actions reveal his character traits? What are his opinions of the other main characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in The Grass Harp. What is the purpose of foreshadowing? What are examples from the text? What effect do these examples achieve?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)