|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of fish do the narrator and Riley catch?
2. Who tells Elizabeth and Maude that Catherine is arrested for hitting Mrs. Buster with a mason jar?
3. Who strips off Riley's shirt in Chapter 6?
4. What does Judge do while the boys are away in the town?
5. What is the prize in the competition Maude is in the finals for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the time and place of The Grass Harp affect the characters, actions, and events in the story? What mood is established through the setting?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of the Judge. What is his purpose in the novel? What symbolic references does he extol? How is he important to the action? Include descriptions of his personal characteristics and physical characteristics as well as exposition about his past.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of Alienation in The Grass Harp. Which characters manifest this theme? Why and how? How does the theme affect the action and events in the novel?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)