|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the baker's son?
2. Where does the baker go to have a time-off beer in the town?
3. What color hair does Maude have?
4. Who is shot in the battle by the tree?
5. Who does Verena lean upon when approaching the tree in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Riley and Collin do in the beginning of Chapter 4?
2. What does Little Homer take out in Chapter 6? What does he proceed to do with it?
3. How is Riley shot during the fight?
4. What does Mrs. County tell Collin inside the bakery?
5. What does Dolly tell Verena about shame in Chapter 6?
6. What news and provisions does Riley return with in Chapter 4?
7. Whom does the narrator encounter while hiding out in Riley's car in Chapter 5? What does this character do?
8. What does Riley respond to Sister Ida's asking for Dolly's location? What does he relate to the narrator about her?
9. Who arrives at the tree house in Chapter 4 to explain the latest events? What does this character relate?
10. What unexpected characters does the narrator make note of who appear at the tree in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is it about the narrator that sets him apart from society and the community? How is this character the protagonist? How do his actions reveal his character traits? What are his opinions of the other main characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of Trust in The Grass Harp. In which chapter is trust established between the main characters? Who prompts this event? How?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Truman Capote's use of nature symbolism in The Grass Harp. What does the tree house symbolize? What are other examples of symbolism? Define symbolism in your answer.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)