|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man whom Maudie Murphy leaves with do for a living?
2. What is the name of the bakery from which Riley brings rolls to the tree house?
3. Who is the first to awaken in Chapter 4?
4. Who says, "Don't you know a joke?" in Chapter 4?
5. Where does the baker go to have a time-off beer in the town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of Alienation in The Grass Harp. Which characters manifest this theme? Why and how? How does the theme affect the action and events in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the plot line of The Grass Harp. Define the terms Rising Action, Climax, and Falling Action and give examples of these from the text. How does the structure of the novel serve to create tension?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of Greed in The Grass Harp. Which character(s) embody greed as a driving force to their actions? How do the church and other townspeople represent greed? How does the theme of greed interact with the other themes discussed?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)