|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does everyone take out that they had bought from Little Homer while in the tree in Chapter 6?
2. Which character says, "At home, in the kitchen, there is a geranium that blooms over and over. Some plants, though, they bloom just once, if at all, and nothing more happens to them. They live, but they've had their life"?
3. What kind of fish do the narrator and Riley catch?
4. Who is shot in the battle by the tree?
5. What is the name of the child evangelist?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who asks Dolly to come with them in Chapter 6? What is her response?
2. What news does Riley overhear outside the jailhouse in Chapter 4?
3. Who arrives at the tree house in Chapter 4 to explain the latest events? What does this character relate?
4. What does Dolly tell Verena about shame in Chapter 6?
5. What choice does Dolly make at the end of Chapter 6? Why?
6. How is Riley shot during the fight?
7. What internal conflict does Dolly face at the end of Chapter 5?
8. What does the barber relate to Riley in Chapter 5?
9. Whom does the narrator encounter while hiding out in Riley's car in Chapter 5? What does this character do?
10. What conversation do Collin and Dolly have once he has returned to the tree house in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the title of the novel. In addition to the beginning, where is the title referenced? What does the title refer to, and how does it reflect the plot of the story?
Essay Topic 2
What is it about the narrator that sets him apart from society and the community? How is this character the protagonist? How do his actions reveal his character traits? What are his opinions of the other main characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the representation of organized religion in the novel. How are Sister Ida and Minister Buster used as symbols to reflect a viewpoint on religion? What Biblical allusions are evident in the text?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)