|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Riley's younger sister?
2. Whose ears does Verena box in the battle by the tree?
3. What does the man whom Maudie Murphy leaves with do for a living?
4. Which character says, "At home, in the kitchen, there is a geranium that blooms over and over. Some plants, though, they bloom just once, if at all, and nothing more happens to them. They live, but they've had their life"?
5. Who is shot in the battle by the tree?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of Trust in The Grass Harp. In which chapter is trust established between the main characters? Who prompts this event? How?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in The Grass Harp. What is the purpose of foreshadowing? What are examples from the text? What effect do these examples achieve?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the representation of organized religion in the novel. How are Sister Ida and Minister Buster used as symbols to reflect a viewpoint on religion? What Biblical allusions are evident in the text?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)