|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date does Chapter 5 begin?
2. What is the name of Riley's younger sister?
3. What is scattered about the house boat?
4. How does Jack Mill die a year after the tree rebellion?
5. What is the name of the grocery store in the town owned by Verena?
Short Essay Questions
1. What choice does Dolly make at the end of Chapter 6? Why?
2. What leads up to Maude's violin serenade in Chapter 4?
3. What conversation do Collin and Dolly have once he has returned to the tree house in Chapter 4?
4. What does Little Homer take out in Chapter 6? What does he proceed to do with it?
5. What internal conflict does Dolly face at the end of Chapter 5?
6. What does the barber relate to Riley in Chapter 5?
7. What unexpected characters does the narrator make note of who appear at the tree in Chapter 6?
8. How is Riley shot during the fight?
9. What does Collin do in Chapter 4 that gives him a feeling of pride?
10. What does Sister Ida do after Riley is shot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "Growing Up" in The Grass Harp. How is this theme embodied symbolically? How is it embodied literally? How does this theme affect the characters in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the Judge's metaphorical advice given to Riley in Chapter 3. What does the Judge say in literal terms? What is the meaning beneath it? How does it apply to other characters as well?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the representation of organized religion in the novel. How are Sister Ida and Minister Buster used as symbols to reflect a viewpoint on religion? What Biblical allusions are evident in the text?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)