|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is scattered about the house boat?
2. Where does Dolly take Verena in Chapter 6?
3. On what date does Chapter 5 begin?
4. What is the name of the town livery?
5. How does Jack Mill die a year after the tree rebellion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Collin do in Chapter 4 that gives him a feeling of pride?
2. Where do Collin and Riley go in Chapter 5? Why?
3. How long does it take Riley to return to the car? Why is he angry?
4. What do Riley and Collin do in the beginning of Chapter 4?
5. How does the Judge tell the group to prepare for the battle at the tree in Chapter 6?
6. What conversation do Collin and Dolly have once he has returned to the tree house in Chapter 4?
7. Who arrives at the tree house in Chapter 4 to explain the latest events? What does this character relate?
8. What does Sister Ida do after Riley is shot?
9. What news and provisions does Riley return with in Chapter 4?
10. What does Riley respond to Sister Ida's asking for Dolly's location? What does he relate to the narrator about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Truman Capote's use of nature symbolism in The Grass Harp. What does the tree house symbolize? What are other examples of symbolism? Define symbolism in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "Growing Up" in The Grass Harp. How is this theme embodied symbolically? How is it embodied literally? How does this theme affect the characters in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the representation of organized religion in the novel. How are Sister Ida and Minister Buster used as symbols to reflect a viewpoint on religion? What Biblical allusions are evident in the text?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)