|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Little Homer's brother, who is with the narrator in the tree in Chapter 6?
2. What object is used for passing around money by the traveling evangelists?
3. What does the narrator say it seems like the tree house is doing at the end of Chapter 6?
4. What does Verena refer to Dr. Ritz as in Chapter 6?
5. What do Maude and Elizabeth want Collin to come as to their Halloween party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What internal conflict does Dolly face at the end of Chapter 5?
2. What does Riley respond to Sister Ida's asking for Dolly's location? What does he relate to the narrator about her?
3. What choice does Dolly make at the end of Chapter 6? Why?
4. What news does Riley overhear outside the jailhouse in Chapter 4?
5. Who asks Dolly to come with them in Chapter 6? What is her response?
6. Where do Collin and Riley go in Chapter 5? Why?
7. What news and provisions does Riley return with in Chapter 4?
8. What does Collin do in Chapter 4 that gives him a feeling of pride?
9. What leads up to Maude's violin serenade in Chapter 4?
10. What does Dolly tell Verena about shame in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of the Judge. What is his purpose in the novel? What symbolic references does he extol? How is he important to the action? Include descriptions of his personal characteristics and physical characteristics as well as exposition about his past.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Dolly and Verena. How are they similar? How are they different? How do the actions of these characters drive the action of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the Judge's metaphorical advice given to Riley in Chapter 3. What does the Judge say in literal terms? What is the meaning beneath it? How does it apply to other characters as well?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)