|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Maude and Elizabeth want Collin to come as to their Halloween party?
2. Who is the warrant of arrest for that the Sheriff brings?
3. Who says, "Don't you know a joke?" in Chapter 4?
4. How much has Verena given to Dr. Ritz for machinery for the old cannery?
5. What does the man whom Maudie Murphy leaves with do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the barber relate to Riley in Chapter 5?
2. What does Collin do in Chapter 4 that gives him a feeling of pride?
3. What news and provisions does Riley return with in Chapter 4?
4. What leads up to Maude's violin serenade in Chapter 4?
5. What do Riley and Collin do in the beginning of Chapter 4?
6. What internal conflict does Dolly face at the end of Chapter 5?
7. What news does Riley overhear outside the jailhouse in Chapter 4?
8. What does Little Homer take out in Chapter 6? What does he proceed to do with it?
9. How long does it take Riley to return to the car? Why is he angry?
10. What does Dolly tell Verena about shame in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the title of the novel. In addition to the beginning, where is the title referenced? What does the title refer to, and how does it reflect the plot of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the representation of organized religion in the novel. How are Sister Ida and Minister Buster used as symbols to reflect a viewpoint on religion? What Biblical allusions are evident in the text?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Growing Up" in The Grass Harp. How is this theme embodied symbolically? How is it embodied literally? How does this theme affect the characters in the story?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)