|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the town livery?
2. Who does the narrator take piano lessons from?
3. What is the name of the bakery from which Riley brings rolls to the tree house?
4. What does the man whom Maudie Murphy leaves with do for a living?
5. What is scattered about the house boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long does it take Riley to return to the car? Why is he angry?
2. What does Dolly tell Verena about shame in Chapter 6?
3. What internal conflict does Dolly face at the end of Chapter 5?
4. What choice does Dolly make at the end of Chapter 6? Why?
5. What happens when Collin and Riley return to the tree house in Chapter 4?
6. What does Sister Ida do after Riley is shot?
7. What leads up to Maude's violin serenade in Chapter 4?
8. What news does Riley overhear outside the jailhouse in Chapter 4?
9. What does Riley respond to Sister Ida's asking for Dolly's location? What does he relate to the narrator about her?
10. What does Mrs. County tell Collin inside the bakery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of Trust in The Grass Harp. In which chapter is trust established between the main characters? Who prompts this event? How?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of Greed in The Grass Harp. Which character(s) embody greed as a driving force to their actions? How do the church and other townspeople represent greed? How does the theme of greed interact with the other themes discussed?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the plot line of The Grass Harp. Define the terms Rising Action, Climax, and Falling Action and give examples of these from the text. How does the structure of the novel serve to create tension?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)