|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color hair does Maude have?
2. What is the town barber's name?
3. What is Maude's last name?
4. What do men refer to the barber as?
5. What is the name of the town livery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Riley overhear outside the jailhouse in Chapter 4?
2. Who arrives at the tree house in Chapter 4 to explain the latest events? What does this character relate?
3. How is Riley shot during the fight?
4. What internal conflict does Dolly face at the end of Chapter 5?
5. What does the barber relate to Riley in Chapter 5?
6. Where do Collin and Riley go in Chapter 5? Why?
7. What does Little Homer take out in Chapter 6? What does he proceed to do with it?
8. What unexpected characters does the narrator make note of who appear at the tree in Chapter 6?
9. What news and provisions does Riley return with in Chapter 4?
10. What leads up to Maude's violin serenade in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Freedom and Choice as themes in The Grass Harp. How do these terms compare? How are they the driving action for the events in the novel? Which characters are granted with more freedom and choice than others are?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "Growing Up" in The Grass Harp. How is this theme embodied symbolically? How is it embodied literally? How does this theme affect the characters in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of Greed in The Grass Harp. Which character(s) embody greed as a driving force to their actions? How do the church and other townspeople represent greed? How does the theme of greed interact with the other themes discussed?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)