|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanies the Sheriff into the woods in Chapter 4?
2. What is the last name of the couple who owns the town bakery?
3. What kind of car does Riley drive?
4. What is the name of Riley's younger sister?
5. What does Little Homer offer to give Dolly when they leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long does it take Riley to return to the car? Why is he angry?
2. What internal conflict does Dolly face at the end of Chapter 5?
3. How is Riley shot during the fight?
4. What does the barber relate to Riley in Chapter 5?
5. How and why are the evangelists run out of town?
6. Where do Collin and Riley go in Chapter 5? Why?
7. Who asks Dolly to come with them in Chapter 6? What is her response?
8. What choice does Dolly make at the end of Chapter 6? Why?
9. What does Sister Ida do after Riley is shot?
10. What news does Riley overhear outside the jailhouse in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the representation of organized religion in the novel. How are Sister Ida and Minister Buster used as symbols to reflect a viewpoint on religion? What Biblical allusions are evident in the text?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of Love in the novel. What different forms of love are represented and by whom? How does the search for love drive the characters and their actions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Freedom and Choice as themes in The Grass Harp. How do these terms compare? How are they the driving action for the events in the novel? Which characters are granted with more freedom and choice than others are?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)