|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the baker go to have a time-off beer in the town?
2. Who is shot in the battle by the tree?
3. Which character says, "At home, in the kitchen, there is a geranium that blooms over and over. Some plants, though, they bloom just once, if at all, and nothing more happens to them. They live, but they've had their life"?
4. Who strips off Riley's shirt in Chapter 6?
5. How much has Verena given to Dr. Ritz for machinery for the old cannery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sister Ida do after Riley is shot?
2. What does Dolly tell Verena about shame in Chapter 6?
3. What internal conflict does Dolly face at the end of Chapter 5?
4. What do Riley and Collin do in the beginning of Chapter 4?
5. What news and provisions does Riley return with in Chapter 4?
6. What unexpected characters does the narrator make note of who appear at the tree in Chapter 6?
7. What does Riley respond to Sister Ida's asking for Dolly's location? What does he relate to the narrator about her?
8. How is Riley shot during the fight?
9. What happens when Collin and Riley return to the tree house in Chapter 4?
10. What does the barber relate to Riley in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of Alienation in The Grass Harp. Which characters manifest this theme? Why and how? How does the theme affect the action and events in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "Growing Up" in The Grass Harp. How is this theme embodied symbolically? How is it embodied literally? How does this theme affect the characters in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Dolly and Verena. How are they similar? How are they different? How do the actions of these characters drive the action of the novel?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)