|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of car does Riley drive?
2. Who is the first to awaken in Chapter 4?
3. Who is the Little Homer's brother, who is with the narrator in the tree in Chapter 6?
4. How does the narrator catch the fish?
5. What kind of cake does the narrator dream of baking inside the house boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What internal conflict does Dolly face at the end of Chapter 5?
2. What news and provisions does Riley return with in Chapter 4?
3. What news does Riley overhear outside the jailhouse in Chapter 4?
4. What do Riley and Collin do in the beginning of Chapter 4?
5. What choice does Dolly make at the end of Chapter 6? Why?
6. Who asks Dolly to come with them in Chapter 6? What is her response?
7. How long does it take Riley to return to the car? Why is he angry?
8. How is Riley shot during the fight?
9. What does Little Homer take out in Chapter 6? What does he proceed to do with it?
10. What does Collin do in Chapter 4 that gives him a feeling of pride?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of Trust in The Grass Harp. In which chapter is trust established between the main characters? Who prompts this event? How?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of Greed in The Grass Harp. Which character(s) embody greed as a driving force to their actions? How do the church and other townspeople represent greed? How does the theme of greed interact with the other themes discussed?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the plot line of The Grass Harp. Define the terms Rising Action, Climax, and Falling Action and give examples of these from the text. How does the structure of the novel serve to create tension?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)