|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date does Chapter 5 begin?
2. How does Jack Mill die a year after the tree rebellion?
3. What does Judge do while the boys are away in the town?
4. Who does Verena lean upon when approaching the tree in Chapter 6?
5. Who is the schoolmaster at the town school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation do Collin and Dolly have once he has returned to the tree house in Chapter 4?
2. What does Collin do in Chapter 4 that gives him a feeling of pride?
3. What internal conflict does Dolly face at the end of Chapter 5?
4. How is Riley shot during the fight?
5. How long does it take Riley to return to the car? Why is he angry?
6. What does the barber relate to Riley in Chapter 5?
7. What news does Riley overhear outside the jailhouse in Chapter 4?
8. What unexpected characters does the narrator make note of who appear at the tree in Chapter 6?
9. Who arrives at the tree house in Chapter 4 to explain the latest events? What does this character relate?
10. What choice does Dolly make at the end of Chapter 6? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of Greed in The Grass Harp. Which character(s) embody greed as a driving force to their actions? How do the church and other townspeople represent greed? How does the theme of greed interact with the other themes discussed?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Truman Capote's use of nature symbolism in The Grass Harp. What does the tree house symbolize? What are other examples of symbolism? Define symbolism in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the different conflicts that occur in the novel. What is the overriding conflict that drives the action? What are internal conflicts within the characters? How does conflict define dramatic literature?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)