|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do men refer to the barber as?
2. What does Riley stop to urinate on when on the outing with Collin?
3. Who is the Little Homer's brother, who is with the narrator in the tree in Chapter 6?
4. What kind of car does Riley drive?
5. Where does Dolly take Verena in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who asks Dolly to come with them in Chapter 6? What is her response?
2. What news does Riley overhear outside the jailhouse in Chapter 4?
3. What leads up to Maude's violin serenade in Chapter 4?
4. How and why are the evangelists run out of town?
5. What does Collin do in Chapter 4 that gives him a feeling of pride?
6. What happens when Collin and Riley return to the tree house in Chapter 4?
7. Whom does the narrator encounter while hiding out in Riley's car in Chapter 5? What does this character do?
8. What conversation do Collin and Dolly have once he has returned to the tree house in Chapter 4?
9. Where do Collin and Riley go in Chapter 5? Why?
10. How long does it take Riley to return to the car? Why is he angry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of Alienation in The Grass Harp. Which characters manifest this theme? Why and how? How does the theme affect the action and events in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Dolly and Verena. How are they similar? How are they different? How do the actions of these characters drive the action of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in The Grass Harp. What is the purpose of foreshadowing? What are examples from the text? What effect do these examples achieve?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)