|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the baker's wife give to Collin for Dolly in Chapter 5?
2. What kind of car does Riley drive?
3. What does the narrator say it seems like the tree house is doing at the end of Chapter 6?
4. Why does Catherine leave the tree house in Chapter 4?
5. Who is approaching the tree house at the beginning of Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who asks Dolly to come with them in Chapter 6? What is her response?
2. What conversation do Collin and Dolly have once he has returned to the tree house in Chapter 4?
3. Whom does the narrator encounter while hiding out in Riley's car in Chapter 5? What does this character do?
4. What news does Riley overhear outside the jailhouse in Chapter 4?
5. What news and provisions does Riley return with in Chapter 4?
6. What leads up to Maude's violin serenade in Chapter 4?
7. How does the Judge tell the group to prepare for the battle at the tree in Chapter 6?
8. What does Little Homer take out in Chapter 6? What does he proceed to do with it?
9. What does Riley respond to Sister Ida's asking for Dolly's location? What does he relate to the narrator about her?
10. Where do Collin and Riley go in Chapter 5? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of Greed in The Grass Harp. Which character(s) embody greed as a driving force to their actions? How do the church and other townspeople represent greed? How does the theme of greed interact with the other themes discussed?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the plot line of The Grass Harp. Define the terms Rising Action, Climax, and Falling Action and give examples of these from the text. How does the structure of the novel serve to create tension?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's use of exposition and flashback techniques in The Grass Harp. What effect is achieved through flashback? What is the purpose of exposition? What does Capote reveal in the beginning of the novel through exposition?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)