|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do his peers nickname the baker's son?
2. Where does the baker go to have a time-off beer in the town?
3. What does the baker's wife give to Collin for Dolly in Chapter 5?
4. Who uses the house boat as a hideout?
5. What does Little Homer lower out of the tree in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who asks Dolly to come with them in Chapter 6? What is her response?
2. What does Mrs. County tell Collin inside the bakery?
3. Who arrives at the tree house in Chapter 4 to explain the latest events? What does this character relate?
4. What leads up to Maude's violin serenade in Chapter 4?
5. Whom does the narrator encounter while hiding out in Riley's car in Chapter 5? What does this character do?
6. Where do Collin and Riley go in Chapter 5? Why?
7. What choice does Dolly make at the end of Chapter 6? Why?
8. What does Sister Ida do after Riley is shot?
9. How does the Judge tell the group to prepare for the battle at the tree in Chapter 6?
10. What happens when Collin and Riley return to the tree house in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the different conflicts that occur in the novel. What is the overriding conflict that drives the action? What are internal conflicts within the characters? How does conflict define dramatic literature?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of Greed in The Grass Harp. Which character(s) embody greed as a driving force to their actions? How do the church and other townspeople represent greed? How does the theme of greed interact with the other themes discussed?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of the Judge. What is his purpose in the novel? What symbolic references does he extol? How is he important to the action? Include descriptions of his personal characteristics and physical characteristics as well as exposition about his past.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)