|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does everyone take out that they had bought from Little Homer while in the tree in Chapter 6?
2. Where are Dolly and the Judge when the narrator returns from his outing with Riley in Chapter 4?
3. Who is one of the characters who drags Catherine away?
4. What does the baker's wife give to Collin for Dolly in Chapter 5?
5. Who is the first to awaken in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does the narrator encounter while hiding out in Riley's car in Chapter 5? What does this character do?
2. Who arrives at the tree house in Chapter 4 to explain the latest events? What does this character relate?
3. What conversation do Collin and Dolly have once he has returned to the tree house in Chapter 4?
4. What unexpected characters does the narrator make note of who appear at the tree in Chapter 6?
5. How is Riley shot during the fight?
6. What news and provisions does Riley return with in Chapter 4?
7. How long does it take Riley to return to the car? Why is he angry?
8. What does Little Homer take out in Chapter 6? What does he proceed to do with it?
9. What does Riley respond to Sister Ida's asking for Dolly's location? What does he relate to the narrator about her?
10. What does Collin do in Chapter 4 that gives him a feeling of pride?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Dolly and Verena. How are they similar? How are they different? How do the actions of these characters drive the action of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the Judge's metaphorical advice given to Riley in Chapter 3. What does the Judge say in literal terms? What is the meaning beneath it? How does it apply to other characters as well?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the different conflicts that occur in the novel. What is the overriding conflict that drives the action? What are internal conflicts within the characters? How does conflict define dramatic literature?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)