|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jack Mill die a year after the tree rebellion?
2. Who says, "I've envied you always. Come home, Dolly. Leave decisions to me: that, you see, has been my life"?
3. On what date does Chapter 5 begin?
4. Who is known in the town as the biggest gossip?
5. How much has Verena given to Dr. Ritz for machinery for the old cannery?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why are the evangelists run out of town?
2. What unexpected characters does the narrator make note of who appear at the tree in Chapter 6?
3. What happens when Collin and Riley return to the tree house in Chapter 4?
4. What does Riley respond to Sister Ida's asking for Dolly's location? What does he relate to the narrator about her?
5. Who asks Dolly to come with them in Chapter 6? What is her response?
6. How long does it take Riley to return to the car? Why is he angry?
7. What news does Riley overhear outside the jailhouse in Chapter 4?
8. How is Riley shot during the fight?
9. What does Collin do in Chapter 4 that gives him a feeling of pride?
10. What does the barber relate to Riley in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the time and place of The Grass Harp affect the characters, actions, and events in the story? What mood is established through the setting?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Truman Capote's use of nature symbolism in The Grass Harp. What does the tree house symbolize? What are other examples of symbolism? Define symbolism in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in The Grass Harp. What is the purpose of foreshadowing? What are examples from the text? What effect do these examples achieve?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)