|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is shot in the battle by the tree?
2. What does Riley stop to urinate on when on the outing with Collin?
3. Why does Catherine leave the tree house in Chapter 4?
4. How does Jack Mill die a year after the tree rebellion?
5. Who says, "Do I understand you've been conniving with that--woman? After she made a mockery of our name?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Judge tell the group to prepare for the battle at the tree in Chapter 6?
2. What does Dolly tell Verena about shame in Chapter 6?
3. What internal conflict does Dolly face at the end of Chapter 5?
4. What choice does Dolly make at the end of Chapter 6? Why?
5. Whom does the narrator encounter while hiding out in Riley's car in Chapter 5? What does this character do?
6. How long does it take Riley to return to the car? Why is he angry?
7. What does the barber relate to Riley in Chapter 5?
8. What does Sister Ida do after Riley is shot?
9. How and why are the evangelists run out of town?
10. What does Mrs. County tell Collin inside the bakery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "Growing Up" in The Grass Harp. How is this theme embodied symbolically? How is it embodied literally? How does this theme affect the characters in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of the Judge. What is his purpose in the novel? What symbolic references does he extol? How is he important to the action? Include descriptions of his personal characteristics and physical characteristics as well as exposition about his past.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Freedom and Choice as themes in The Grass Harp. How do these terms compare? How are they the driving action for the events in the novel? Which characters are granted with more freedom and choice than others are?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)