|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man whom Maudie Murphy leaves with do for a living?
2. What does Little Homer offer to give Dolly when they leave?
3. What does Little Homer take out of his hat in Chapter 6 while in the tree?
4. Who claims, "Responsible? No one is that; except ourselves" in Chapter 6?
5. Who is approaching the tree house at the beginning of Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dolly tell Verena about shame in Chapter 6?
2. What does the barber relate to Riley in Chapter 5?
3. What choice does Dolly make at the end of Chapter 6? Why?
4. Where do Collin and Riley go in Chapter 5? Why?
5. What news and provisions does Riley return with in Chapter 4?
6. What leads up to Maude's violin serenade in Chapter 4?
7. How and why are the evangelists run out of town?
8. What does Mrs. County tell Collin inside the bakery?
9. What news does Riley overhear outside the jailhouse in Chapter 4?
10. What internal conflict does Dolly face at the end of Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the plot line of The Grass Harp. Define the terms Rising Action, Climax, and Falling Action and give examples of these from the text. How does the structure of the novel serve to create tension?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in The Grass Harp. What is the purpose of foreshadowing? What are examples from the text? What effect do these examples achieve?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the title of the novel. In addition to the beginning, where is the title referenced? What does the title refer to, and how does it reflect the plot of the story?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)