|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Dolly?
2. What is the name of Riley's uncle?
3. Who teaches Catherine how to make her secret potion?
4. What is the name of the sheriff of the town?
5. What color is the car that Riley drives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Riley's uncle?
2. How does the Judge come to live with his sons?
3. What happens at the end of Chapter 2?
4. Why do Catherine and Dolly go into the woods once a week?
5. Who tells the narrator about the grass harp? What is it?
6. What exposition is revealed about the Judge's education and marriage?
7. What is Catherine's take on love in Chapter 3? How does her comment change the conversation?
8. What does the tree house gang do while the buzz is going on in the town in Chapter 2?
9. Who packs the narrator's belongings in Chapter 1? How does he end up staying at the Talbo house indefinitely?
10. What is the story behind Riley's parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "Growing Up" in The Grass Harp. How is this theme embodied symbolically? How is it embodied literally? How does this theme affect the characters in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the title of the novel. In addition to the beginning, where is the title referenced? What does the title refer to, and how does it reflect the plot of the story?
Essay Topic 3
What is it about the narrator that sets him apart from society and the community? How is this character the protagonist? How do his actions reveal his character traits? What are his opinions of the other main characters in the novel?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)