|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Riley pass around to the others in the tree house in Chapter 2?
2. What is the name of Riley's uncle?
3. Who comes to the narrator's house the day after his mother's funeral?
4. What are the last words of the Judge's wife?
5. Who teaches Catherine how to make her secret potion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who tells the narrator about the grass harp? What is it?
2. What is the story behind Riley's parents?
3. How does the law get involved in the matter between Dolly and Verena?
4. What does the tree house gang do while the buzz is going on in the town in Chapter 2?
5. What does the Judge speak of regarding trust in Chapter 3?
6. How does Catherine come to stay on the Talbo property? Describe this character.
7. Describe the differences between Dolly and Verena's mannerisms and bedrooms.
8. What happened to Riley's uncle?
9. What causes Verena's interest in the dropsy cure?
10. What does the Judge make of Dolly in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Freedom and Choice as themes in The Grass Harp. How do these terms compare? How are they the driving action for the events in the novel? Which characters are granted with more freedom and choice than others are?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the different conflicts that occur in the novel. What is the overriding conflict that drives the action? What are internal conflicts within the characters? How does conflict define dramatic literature?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Dolly and Verena. How are they similar? How are they different? How do the actions of these characters drive the action of the novel?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)