|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the Judge's wife?
2. Where is Riley born?
3. What is Riley hunting in the woods in Chapter 2?
4. What is the name of Riley's mother?
5. What is the only meat that Dolly likes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the group's first interaction with Riley in Chapter 2?
2. How does Catherine come to stay on the Talbo property? Describe this character.
3. What is the story behind Riley's parents?
4. What happened to Riley's uncle?
5. What "secret" does the Judge reveal in Chapter 3?
6. What causes Verena's interest in the dropsy cure?
7. How does the narrator's father feel about Verena and Dolly? How does the narrator come to live with them?
8. Who packs the narrator's belongings in Chapter 1? How does he end up staying at the Talbo house indefinitely?
9. What is Riley's confession in Chapter 3?
10. How does the Judge come to live with his sons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the title of the novel. In addition to the beginning, where is the title referenced? What does the title refer to, and how does it reflect the plot of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of the Judge. What is his purpose in the novel? What symbolic references does he extol? How is he important to the action? Include descriptions of his personal characteristics and physical characteristics as well as exposition about his past.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the different conflicts that occur in the novel. What is the overriding conflict that drives the action? What are internal conflicts within the characters? How does conflict define dramatic literature?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)