Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only meat that Dolly likes?
2. What does Dolly reveal to the others in the tree house that Verena does?
3. What does the sheriff go on to become?
4. What was the name of the Judge's wife?
5. How old is the character of Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dolly's story with the gypsy women?
2. What symbols are present in Chapter 7 prior to the death of Dolly?
3. What does Riley respond to Sister Ida's asking for Dolly's location? What does he relate to the narrator about her?
4. What is the sequence of events leading to Dolly's death? What does the narrator see that makes him know she has died?
5. What is the story behind Riley's parents?
6. What positions do the sisters whom the narrator lives with have in the town/home? Whom does the narrator gravitate toward of the two?
7. Whom does the narrator encounter while hiding out in Riley's car in Chapter 5? What does this character do?
8. How do Collin and Catherine react to Dolly's death?
9. What exposition is revealed about the Judge's education and marriage?
10. How does the Judge come to live with his sons?
Discuss the title of the novel. In addition to the beginning, where is the title referenced? What does the title refer to, and how does it reflect the plot of the story?
Discuss the plot line of The Grass Harp. Define the terms Rising Action, Climax, and Falling Action and give examples of these from the text. How does the structure of the novel serve to create tension?
Discuss the theme of Trust in The Grass Harp. In which chapter is trust established between the main characters? Who prompts this event? How?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)