|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Riley's mother go?
2. Where does Riley's uncle go?
3. What position does Riley's uncle hold in the town?
4. Where is the entrance to the attic?
5. What is the name of Riley's sister who is in the protagonist's class in school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who asks Dolly to come with them in Chapter 6? What is her response?
2. What causes Verena's interest in the dropsy cure?
3. What news does Riley overhear outside the jailhouse in Chapter 4?
4. What leads up to Maude's violin serenade in Chapter 4?
5. What does the Judge make of Dolly in Chapter 3?
6. How does Dolly react to the Sheriff's demands? What does the Judge do?
7. What does Little Homer take out in Chapter 6? What does he proceed to do with it?
8. What is the group's first interaction with Riley in Chapter 2?
9. What "secret" does Catherine reveal in Chapter 3?
10. How does the law get involved in the matter between Dolly and Verena?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of Love in the novel. What different forms of love are represented and by whom? How does the search for love drive the characters and their actions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Truman Capote's use of nature symbolism in The Grass Harp. What does the tree house symbolize? What are other examples of symbolism? Define symbolism in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of Alienation in The Grass Harp. Which characters manifest this theme? Why and how? How does the theme affect the action and events in the novel?
This section contains 1,362 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)