Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only meat that Dolly likes?
2. What does Dolly reveal to the others in the tree house that Verena does?
3. What does the sheriff go on to become?
4. What was the name of the Judge's wife?
5. How old is the character of Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dolly's story with the gypsy women?
2. What symbols are present in Chapter 7 prior to the death of Dolly?
3. What does Riley respond to Sister Ida's asking for Dolly's location? What does he relate to the narrator about her?
4. What is the sequence of events leading to Dolly's death? What does the narrator see that makes him know she has died?
5. What is the story behind Riley's parents?
6. What positions do the sisters whom the narrator lives with have in the town/home? Whom does the narrator gravitate toward of the two?
7. Whom does the narrator encounter while hiding out in Riley's car in Chapter 5? What does this character do?
8. How do Collin and Catherine react to Dolly's death?
9. What exposition is revealed about the Judge's education and marriage?
10. How does the Judge come to live with his sons?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of Greed in The Grass Harp. Which character(s) embody greed as a driving force to their actions? How do the church and other townspeople represent greed? How does the theme of greed interact with the other themes discussed?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the time and place of The Grass Harp affect the characters, actions, and events in the story? What mood is established through the setting?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the Judge's metaphorical advice given to Riley in Chapter 3. What does the Judge say in literal terms? What is the meaning beneath it? How does it apply to other characters as well?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)