|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells the Judge in Chapter 2, "If you weren't so old, I'd damn well knock you down"?
2. How old is the Judge in the picture he sent to the girl in his letters?
3. What does Riley pass around to the others in the tree house in Chapter 2?
4. What is the name of the character whom Verena had been attached to and heartbroken by?
5. What townswoman has come with the Sheriff, Minister, and Judge to the tree house in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the tree house gang do while the buzz is going on in the town in Chapter 2?
2. How does the Judge counsel Riley in Chapter 3?
3. How does the Judge come to live with his sons?
4. What happens at the end of Chapter 2?
5. What does Dolly declare about love in Chapter 3?
6. What is the group's first interaction with Riley in Chapter 2?
7. Why do Catherine and Dolly go into the woods once a week?
8. What causes Verena's interest in the dropsy cure?
9. What events lead up to the departure of Dolly, Catherine, and Collin for the tree house?
10. What "secret" does the Judge reveal in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is it about the narrator that sets him apart from society and the community? How is this character the protagonist? How do his actions reveal his character traits? What are his opinions of the other main characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the plot line of The Grass Harp. Define the terms Rising Action, Climax, and Falling Action and give examples of these from the text. How does the structure of the novel serve to create tension?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the Judge's metaphorical advice given to Riley in Chapter 3. What does the Judge say in literal terms? What is the meaning beneath it? How does it apply to other characters as well?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)