|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator's name?
2. Who comes to the narrator's house the day after his mother's funeral?
3. How old is the Judge in the picture he sent to the girl in his letters?
4. How old is Dolly?
5. What is Catherine's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Catherine's take on love in Chapter 3? How does her comment change the conversation?
2. What is Dolly's story with the gypsy women?
3. How does the law get involved in the matter between Dolly and Verena?
4. Who packs the narrator's belongings in Chapter 1? How does he end up staying at the Talbo house indefinitely?
5. How does the Judge come to live with his sons?
6. How does the narrator's father feel about Verena and Dolly? How does the narrator come to live with them?
7. What events lead up to the departure of Dolly, Catherine, and Collin for the tree house?
8. What causes Verena's interest in the dropsy cure?
9. How does Dolly react to the Sheriff's demands? What does the Judge do?
10. What is Riley's confession in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in The Grass Harp. What is the purpose of foreshadowing? What are examples from the text? What effect do these examples achieve?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Racism, Sexism, and Bigotry as it relates to The Grass Harp. Which main characters does each affect? Which characters in the novel appear the most biased? How?
Essay Topic 3
What is it about the narrator that sets him apart from society and the community? How is this character the protagonist? How do his actions reveal his character traits? What are his opinions of the other main characters in the novel?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)