|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the little girl to whom the Judge wrote?
2. What are the last words of the Judge's wife?
3. What does the girl from the Judge's letters send him when he tells her he is going to law school?
4. Where is the man who asked Catherine to marry him?
5. What is the name of Riley's uncle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What "secret" does the Judge reveal in Chapter 3?
2. How does Dolly react to the Sheriff's demands? What does the Judge do?
3. What causes Verena's interest in the dropsy cure?
4. Describe the differences between Dolly and Verena's mannerisms and bedrooms.
5. What does the Judge make of Dolly in Chapter 3?
6. Who tells the narrator about the grass harp? What is it?
7. What does the Judge speak of regarding trust in Chapter 3?
8. Who packs the narrator's belongings in Chapter 1? How does he end up staying at the Talbo house indefinitely?
9. What does Dolly declare about love in Chapter 3?
10. How does the Judge counsel Riley in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Freedom and Choice as themes in The Grass Harp. How do these terms compare? How are they the driving action for the events in the novel? Which characters are granted with more freedom and choice than others are?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Truman Capote's use of nature symbolism in The Grass Harp. What does the tree house symbolize? What are other examples of symbolism? Define symbolism in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the time and place of The Grass Harp affect the characters, actions, and events in the story? What mood is established through the setting?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)