|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the last words of the Judge's wife?
2. What is the name of Riley's uncle?
3. What was the name of the Judge's wife?
4. What does the sheriff go on to become?
5. What is the name of the sheriff of the town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What exposition is revealed about the Judge's education and marriage?
2. What does Dolly declare about love in Chapter 3?
3. What is the story behind Riley's parents?
4. Why do Catherine and Dolly go into the woods once a week?
5. Describe the differences between Dolly and Verena's mannerisms and bedrooms.
6. Who packs the narrator's belongings in Chapter 1? How does he end up staying at the Talbo house indefinitely?
7. What is the group's first interaction with Riley in Chapter 2?
8. What positions do the sisters whom the narrator lives with have in the town/home? Whom does the narrator gravitate toward of the two?
9. What "secret" does the Judge reveal in Chapter 3?
10. What happens at the end of Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is it about the narrator that sets him apart from society and the community? How is this character the protagonist? How do his actions reveal his character traits? What are his opinions of the other main characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in The Grass Harp. What is the purpose of foreshadowing? What are examples from the text? What effect do these examples achieve?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the different conflicts that occur in the novel. What is the overriding conflict that drives the action? What are internal conflicts within the characters? How does conflict define dramatic literature?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)