|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dolly's potion made to cure?
2. What is the last name of the sisters with whom the protagonist goes to live?
3. What is the name of the man who writes Catherine to ask her to marry him?
4. Who comes to the narrator's house the day after his mother's funeral?
5. What does Dolly reveal to the others in the tree house that Verena does?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Judge speak of regarding trust in Chapter 3?
2. What happens at the end of Chapter 2?
3. How does the Judge come to live with his sons?
4. What does the Judge make of Dolly in Chapter 3?
5. What does Dolly declare about love in Chapter 3?
6. What events lead up to the departure of Dolly, Catherine, and Collin for the tree house?
7. What positions do the sisters whom the narrator lives with have in the town/home? Whom does the narrator gravitate toward of the two?
8. What "secret" does the Judge reveal in Chapter 3?
9. How does Catherine come to stay on the Talbo property? Describe this character.
10. What is the story behind Riley's parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of Love in the novel. What different forms of love are represented and by whom? How does the search for love drive the characters and their actions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Freedom and Choice as themes in The Grass Harp. How do these terms compare? How are they the driving action for the events in the novel? Which characters are granted with more freedom and choice than others are?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of Alienation in The Grass Harp. Which characters manifest this theme? Why and how? How does the theme affect the action and events in the novel?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)