|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dolly want to give Catherine for her birthday in Chapter 1?
2. What room is the narrator unable to spy upon from the attic?
3. How old is the Judge in the picture he sent to the girl in his letters?
4. What position does Riley's uncle hold in the town?
5. What is the only meat that Dolly likes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Verena's interest in the dropsy cure?
2. How does the Judge come to live with his sons?
3. What exposition is revealed about the Judge's education and marriage?
4. How does Catherine come to stay on the Talbo property? Describe this character.
5. What is Riley's confession in Chapter 3?
6. What is Catherine's take on love in Chapter 3? How does her comment change the conversation?
7. What positions do the sisters whom the narrator lives with have in the town/home? Whom does the narrator gravitate toward of the two?
8. What does the Judge make of Dolly in Chapter 3?
9. How does the law get involved in the matter between Dolly and Verena?
10. What does Dolly declare about love in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of Greed in The Grass Harp. Which character(s) embody greed as a driving force to their actions? How do the church and other townspeople represent greed? How does the theme of greed interact with the other themes discussed?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the Judge's metaphorical advice given to Riley in Chapter 3. What does the Judge say in literal terms? What is the meaning beneath it? How does it apply to other characters as well?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of Trust in The Grass Harp. In which chapter is trust established between the main characters? Who prompts this event? How?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)