|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the younger sister with whom the narrator goes to stay?
2. What does the Judge refer to their group as in Chapter 3?
3. What does Dolly reveal to the others in the tree house that Verena does?
4. What is the narrator's name?
5. For how much does a bottle of Dolly's potion sell?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Judge come to live with his sons?
2. What is the story behind Riley's parents?
3. What exposition is revealed about the Judge's education and marriage?
4. What is Catherine's take on love in Chapter 3? How does her comment change the conversation?
5. What happened to Riley's uncle?
6. What events lead up to the departure of Dolly, Catherine, and Collin for the tree house?
7. How does Dolly react to the Sheriff's demands? What does the Judge do?
8. What does the Judge make of Dolly in Chapter 3?
9. Why do Catherine and Dolly go into the woods once a week?
10. How does the narrator's father feel about Verena and Dolly? How does the narrator come to live with them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Dolly and Verena. How are they similar? How are they different? How do the actions of these characters drive the action of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the voice and tense of The Grass Harp. Define these terms and discuss how they affect the novel in terms of structure. How would the novel be different in a different voice? Would it be as effective?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of Love in the novel. What different forms of love are represented and by whom? How does the search for love drive the characters and their actions?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)