|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells the Judge in Chapter 2, "If you weren't so old, I'd damn well knock you down"?
2. What are the last words of the Judge's wife?
3. What is Riley's last name?
4. What is the name of Riley's uncle?
5. What is the Judge's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who helps Collin with his costume? How does it come out?
2. What is the sequence of events leading to Dolly's death? What does the narrator see that makes him know she has died?
3. What is Riley's confession in Chapter 3?
4. How and why are the evangelists run out of town?
5. What is the story behind Riley's parents?
6. Where do Collin and Riley go in Chapter 5? Why?
7. Why do Catherine and Dolly go into the woods once a week?
8. What is Dolly's story with the gypsy women?
9. What does Riley respond to Sister Ida's asking for Dolly's location? What does he relate to the narrator about her?
10. Why is the narrator envious of Riley? What responsibilities does Riley have?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the plot line of The Grass Harp. Define the terms Rising Action, Climax, and Falling Action and give examples of these from the text. How does the structure of the novel serve to create tension?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the voice and tense of The Grass Harp. Define these terms and discuss how they affect the novel in terms of structure. How would the novel be different in a different voice? Would it be as effective?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Truman Capote's use of nature symbolism in The Grass Harp. What does the tree house symbolize? What are other examples of symbolism? Define symbolism in your answer.
This section contains 1,479 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)