|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the girl from the Judge's letters send him when he tells her he is going to law school?
2. What does the Judge refer to their group as in Chapter 3?
3. Where does Verena meet Dr. Ritz?
4. What does the Judge recall Dolly not having as a child?
5. How old is the young girl to whom the Judge wrote?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story behind Riley's parents?
2. What does Dolly declare about love in Chapter 3?
3. Who tells the narrator about the grass harp? What is it?
4. How does the Judge come to live with his sons?
5. What does the tree house gang do while the buzz is going on in the town in Chapter 2?
6. What causes Verena's interest in the dropsy cure?
7. How does Catherine come to stay on the Talbo property? Describe this character.
8. What does the Judge speak of regarding trust in Chapter 3?
9. What "secret" does Catherine reveal in Chapter 3?
10. How does the Judge counsel Riley in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the time and place of The Grass Harp affect the characters, actions, and events in the story? What mood is established through the setting?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the different conflicts that occur in the novel. What is the overriding conflict that drives the action? What are internal conflicts within the characters? How does conflict define dramatic literature?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of Greed in The Grass Harp. Which character(s) embody greed as a driving force to their actions? How do the church and other townspeople represent greed? How does the theme of greed interact with the other themes discussed?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)