|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "Today, when I started out with the Sheriff's party, I was a man convinced that his life will have passed uncommunicated and without trace. I think now that I will not have been so unfortunate"?
2. Who tells the narrator about the grass harp?
3. What are the last words of the Judge's wife?
4. Where do Maudie and her husband go on their honeymoon?
5. What is Dolly's potion made to cure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Verena's interest in the dropsy cure?
2. What exposition is revealed about the Judge's education and marriage?
3. What "secret" does Catherine reveal in Chapter 3?
4. How does Catherine come to stay on the Talbo property? Describe this character.
5. What happened to Riley's uncle?
6. Who tells the narrator about the grass harp? What is it?
7. What "secret" does the Judge reveal in Chapter 3?
8. What is the story behind Riley's parents?
9. How does Dolly react to the Sheriff's demands? What does the Judge do?
10. What is Dolly's story with the gypsy women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the different conflicts that occur in the novel. What is the overriding conflict that drives the action? What are internal conflicts within the characters? How does conflict define dramatic literature?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "Growing Up" in The Grass Harp. How is this theme embodied symbolically? How is it embodied literally? How does this theme affect the characters in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the Judge's metaphorical advice given to Riley in Chapter 3. What does the Judge say in literal terms? What is the meaning beneath it? How does it apply to other characters as well?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)