|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "I'm no man with a dozen faces; the notion"?
2. What does the narrator spy upon Dolly writing in her room?
3. What is the name of the man who writes Catherine to ask her to marry him?
4. Who is the richest person in the town?
5. What does Dolly reveal to the others in the tree house that Verena does?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Riley respond to Sister Ida's asking for Dolly's location? What does he relate to the narrator about her?
2. How does the Judge tell the group to prepare for the battle at the tree in Chapter 6?
3. What does Dolly tell Verena about shame in Chapter 6?
4. What unexpected characters does the narrator make note of who appear at the tree in Chapter 6?
5. What does Elizabeth remind Collin of in Chapter 7? What does he do?
6. What positions do the sisters whom the narrator lives with have in the town/home? Whom does the narrator gravitate toward of the two?
7. Describe the differences between Dolly and Verena's mannerisms and bedrooms.
8. How and why are the evangelists run out of town?
9. What causes Verena's interest in the dropsy cure?
10. Why do Catherine and Dolly go into the woods once a week?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Dolly and Verena. How are they similar? How are they different? How do the actions of these characters drive the action of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of Alienation in The Grass Harp. Which characters manifest this theme? Why and how? How does the theme affect the action and events in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the time and place of The Grass Harp affect the characters, actions, and events in the story? What mood is established through the setting?
This section contains 1,430 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)