|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Riley pass around to the others in the tree house in Chapter 2?
2. Where had the Judge's wife been from?
3. What is Dolly's potion made to cure?
4. In what state does the novel take place?
5. Where does Riley's uncle go?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Collin and Riley return to the tree house in Chapter 4?
2. What internal conflict does Dolly face at the end of Chapter 5?
3. What news does Riley overhear outside the jailhouse in Chapter 4?
4. What happens at the end of the novel? Who gets married?
5. What happens at the end of Chapter 2?
6. What does Collin do in Chapter 4 that gives him a feeling of pride?
7. What news and provisions does Riley return with in Chapter 4?
8. Who packs the narrator's belongings in Chapter 1? How does he end up staying at the Talbo house indefinitely?
9. What unexpected characters does the narrator make note of who appear at the tree in Chapter 6?
10. Whom does the narrator encounter while hiding out in Riley's car in Chapter 5? What does this character do?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the plot line of The Grass Harp. Define the terms Rising Action, Climax, and Falling Action and give examples of these from the text. How does the structure of the novel serve to create tension?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the voice and tense of The Grass Harp. Define these terms and discuss how they affect the novel in terms of structure. How would the novel be different in a different voice? Would it be as effective?
Essay Topic 3
What is it about the narrator that sets him apart from society and the community? How is this character the protagonist? How do his actions reveal his character traits? What are his opinions of the other main characters in the novel?
This section contains 1,426 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)