|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Maudie and her husband go on their honeymoon?
2. What is Catherine's last name?
3. What does the Judge call Dorothy fondly in Chapter 3?
4. What is the name of the character whom Verena had been attached to and heartbroken by?
5. What are the last words of the Judge's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What choice does Dolly make at the end of Chapter 6? Why?
2. What news and provisions does Riley return with in Chapter 4?
3. What does Verena buy for Dolly in Chapter 7? Why?
4. What happened to Riley's uncle?
5. How do Collin and Catherine react to Dolly's death?
6. How long does it take Riley to return to the car? Why is he angry?
7. Describe the differences between Dolly and Verena's mannerisms and bedrooms.
8. What symbols are present in Chapter 7 prior to the death of Dolly?
9. Who arrives at the tree house in Chapter 4 to explain the latest events? What does this character relate?
10. What happens when Collin and Riley return to the tree house in Chapter 4?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the time and place of The Grass Harp affect the characters, actions, and events in the story? What mood is established through the setting?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Dolly and Verena. How are they similar? How are they different? How do the actions of these characters drive the action of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of Trust in The Grass Harp. In which chapter is trust established between the main characters? Who prompts this event? How?
This section contains 1,485 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)