|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Judge call Dorothy fondly in Chapter 3?
2. What is the father's name of the sisters with whom the narrator went to live?
3. In what state does the novel take place?
4. Where is the girl from that Riley says he's been dating for over a year?
5. What does Catherine wear "that would put out your eyes?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dolly declare about love in Chapter 3?
2. What happens at the end of Chapter 2?
3. What positions do the sisters whom the narrator lives with have in the town/home? Whom does the narrator gravitate toward of the two?
4. How does the narrator's father feel about Verena and Dolly? How does the narrator come to live with them?
5. What is Dolly's story with the gypsy women?
6. Who packs the narrator's belongings in Chapter 1? How does he end up staying at the Talbo house indefinitely?
7. How does Dolly react to the Sheriff's demands? What does the Judge do?
8. What "secret" does the Judge reveal in Chapter 3?
9. What does the Judge make of Dolly in Chapter 3?
10. What is the story behind Riley's parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of exposition and flashback techniques in The Grass Harp. What effect is achieved through flashback? What is the purpose of exposition? What does Capote reveal in the beginning of the novel through exposition?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the time and place of The Grass Harp affect the characters, actions, and events in the story? What mood is established through the setting?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Racism, Sexism, and Bigotry as it relates to The Grass Harp. Which main characters does each affect? Which characters in the novel appear the most biased? How?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)