|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man who writes Catherine to ask her to marry him?
2. What position does Riley's uncle hold in the town?
3. What is one of the things that Dorothy says she has loved?
4. How old is the character of Catherine?
5. How much money does the protagonist's party have in the tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Judge counsel Riley in Chapter 3?
2. Who tells the narrator about the grass harp? What is it?
3. What "secret" does Catherine reveal in Chapter 3?
4. How does the law get involved in the matter between Dolly and Verena?
5. What happens at the end of Chapter 2?
6. What does the Judge speak of regarding trust in Chapter 3?
7. What does the Judge make of Dolly in Chapter 3?
8. What does the tree house gang do while the buzz is going on in the town in Chapter 2?
9. What is Riley's confession in Chapter 3?
10. Describe the differences between Dolly and Verena's mannerisms and bedrooms.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of exposition and flashback techniques in The Grass Harp. What effect is achieved through flashback? What is the purpose of exposition? What does Capote reveal in the beginning of the novel through exposition?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the time and place of The Grass Harp affect the characters, actions, and events in the story? What mood is established through the setting?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the voice and tense of The Grass Harp. Define these terms and discuss how they affect the novel in terms of structure. How would the novel be different in a different voice? Would it be as effective?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)