|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the character of Catherine?
2. What is the last name of the sisters with whom the protagonist goes to live?
3. What does Catherine refer to Verena as?
4. What is the name of the young girl the Judge wrote to in letters?
5. What is Riley hunting in the woods in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Catherine's take on love in Chapter 3? How does her comment change the conversation?
2. How does Catherine come to stay on the Talbo property? Describe this character.
3. How does Dolly react to the Sheriff's demands? What does the Judge do?
4. How does the law get involved in the matter between Dolly and Verena?
5. How does the Judge counsel Riley in Chapter 3?
6. Who packs the narrator's belongings in Chapter 1? How does he end up staying at the Talbo house indefinitely?
7. What does the tree house gang do while the buzz is going on in the town in Chapter 2?
8. What does Dolly declare about love in Chapter 3?
9. Who tells the narrator about the grass harp? What is it?
10. What positions do the sisters whom the narrator lives with have in the town/home? Whom does the narrator gravitate toward of the two?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the time and place of The Grass Harp affect the characters, actions, and events in the story? What mood is established through the setting?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the different conflicts that occur in the novel. What is the overriding conflict that drives the action? What are internal conflicts within the characters? How does conflict define dramatic literature?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Dolly and Verena. How are they similar? How are they different? How do the actions of these characters drive the action of the novel?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)