|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who used to deliver the papers?
2. Where does Riley's uncle go?
3. Who tells the Judge in Chapter 2, "If you weren't so old, I'd damn well knock you down"?
4. Who says, "I don't believe in locking drawers--seems strange a man can't live without keys in what was at least once his own house"?
5. What does the girl from the Judge's letters send him when he tells her he is going to law school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Catherine and Dolly go into the woods once a week?
2. What is Dolly's story with the gypsy women?
3. What does Dolly declare about love in Chapter 3?
4. What does the Judge speak of regarding trust in Chapter 3?
5. Who packs the narrator's belongings in Chapter 1? How does he end up staying at the Talbo house indefinitely?
6. What exposition is revealed about the Judge's education and marriage?
7. How does Dolly react to the Sheriff's demands? What does the Judge do?
8. How does the Judge counsel Riley in Chapter 3?
9. What causes Verena's interest in the dropsy cure?
10. What is the group's first interaction with Riley in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "Growing Up" in The Grass Harp. How is this theme embodied symbolically? How is it embodied literally? How does this theme affect the characters in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the voice and tense of The Grass Harp. Define these terms and discuss how they affect the novel in terms of structure. How would the novel be different in a different voice? Would it be as effective?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of Trust in The Grass Harp. In which chapter is trust established between the main characters? Who prompts this event? How?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)