|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Riley's uncle hold in the town?
2. How old is the young girl to whom the Judge wrote?
3. Who is the younger sister with whom the narrator goes to stay?
4. How many bottles of the potion do they produce a week?
5. What is the name of Riley's uncle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator's father feel about Verena and Dolly? How does the narrator come to live with them?
2. What is Dolly's story with the gypsy women?
3. Why is the narrator envious of Riley? What responsibilities does Riley have?
4. How does Catherine come to stay on the Talbo property? Describe this character.
5. What causes Verena's interest in the dropsy cure?
6. How does the Judge come to live with his sons?
7. What "secret" does the Judge reveal in Chapter 3?
8. How does the law get involved in the matter between Dolly and Verena?
9. How does Dolly react to the Sheriff's demands? What does the Judge do?
10. What does the Judge make of Dolly in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Truman Capote's use of nature symbolism in The Grass Harp. What does the tree house symbolize? What are other examples of symbolism? Define symbolism in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is it about the narrator that sets him apart from society and the community? How is this character the protagonist? How do his actions reveal his character traits? What are his opinions of the other main characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of Alienation in The Grass Harp. Which characters manifest this theme? Why and how? How does the theme affect the action and events in the novel?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)