|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "I don't believe in locking drawers--seems strange a man can't live without keys in what was at least once his own house"?
2. What is the narrator's name?
3. What does the narrator spy upon Dolly writing in her room?
4. What is the Judge's last name?
5. What does the Judge refer to their group as in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Catherine come to stay on the Talbo property? Describe this character.
2. What happens at the end of Chapter 2?
3. What is the story behind Riley's parents?
4. What is the group's first interaction with Riley in Chapter 2?
5. How does the law get involved in the matter between Dolly and Verena?
6. What happened to Riley's uncle?
7. How does the Judge come to live with his sons?
8. How does the narrator's father feel about Verena and Dolly? How does the narrator come to live with them?
9. What "secret" does Catherine reveal in Chapter 3?
10. What causes Verena's interest in the dropsy cure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Racism, Sexism, and Bigotry as it relates to The Grass Harp. Which main characters does each affect? Which characters in the novel appear the most biased? How?
Essay Topic 2
What is it about the narrator that sets him apart from society and the community? How is this character the protagonist? How do his actions reveal his character traits? What are his opinions of the other main characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of Alienation in The Grass Harp. Which characters manifest this theme? Why and how? How does the theme affect the action and events in the novel?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)