|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the younger sister with whom the narrator goes to stay?
2. How old is Riley when he comes to live in the town?
3. Which character has begun to weep at the beginning of Chapter 3?
4. Where does Riley's mother go?
5. Where does Riley's uncle go?
Short Essay Questions
1. What positions do the sisters whom the narrator lives with have in the town/home? Whom does the narrator gravitate toward of the two?
2. How does the Judge come to live with his sons?
3. What "secret" does the Judge reveal in Chapter 3?
4. Who tells the narrator about the grass harp? What is it?
5. What does Dolly declare about love in Chapter 3?
6. What exposition is revealed about the Judge's education and marriage?
7. Why do Catherine and Dolly go into the woods once a week?
8. What does the tree house gang do while the buzz is going on in the town in Chapter 2?
9. How does the narrator's father feel about Verena and Dolly? How does the narrator come to live with them?
10. Why is the narrator envious of Riley? What responsibilities does Riley have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of Greed in The Grass Harp. Which character(s) embody greed as a driving force to their actions? How do the church and other townspeople represent greed? How does the theme of greed interact with the other themes discussed?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the time and place of The Grass Harp affect the characters, actions, and events in the story? What mood is established through the setting?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of Trust in The Grass Harp. In which chapter is trust established between the main characters? Who prompts this event? How?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)