|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the girl from that Riley says he's been dating for over a year?
2. What does Riley pass around to the others in the tree house in Chapter 2?
3. What is the name of Riley's mother?
4. What is the name of the man who writes Catherine to ask her to marry him?
5. Who comes to the narrator's house the day after his mother's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Judge counsel Riley in Chapter 3?
2. How does Dolly react to the Sheriff's demands? What does the Judge do?
3. What does the tree house gang do while the buzz is going on in the town in Chapter 2?
4. What "secret" does Catherine reveal in Chapter 3?
5. Who packs the narrator's belongings in Chapter 1? How does he end up staying at the Talbo house indefinitely?
6. What is Riley's confession in Chapter 3?
7. What exposition is revealed about the Judge's education and marriage?
8. What is Catherine's take on love in Chapter 3? How does her comment change the conversation?
9. Who tells the narrator about the grass harp? What is it?
10. How does the narrator's father feel about Verena and Dolly? How does the narrator come to live with them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the plot line of The Grass Harp. Define the terms Rising Action, Climax, and Falling Action and give examples of these from the text. How does the structure of the novel serve to create tension?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of Alienation in The Grass Harp. Which characters manifest this theme? Why and how? How does the theme affect the action and events in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Racism, Sexism, and Bigotry as it relates to The Grass Harp. Which main characters does each affect? Which characters in the novel appear the most biased? How?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)