|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do men refer to the barber as?
(b) Old sis.
(c) Rumor mill.
2. Whose ears does Verena box in the battle by the tree?
(b) The Sheriff's.
3. What kind of cake does the narrator dream of baking inside the house boat?
(a) Cherry Cream.
4. What is the name of the town livery?
(a) Johnston's Livery.
(b) Copper's Livery.
(c) Jackson's Livery.
(d) Talbo Livery.
5. What do they take with them when leaving the tree house at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) The quilt.
(b) The goldfish.
(c) The food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of one of Sister Ida's daughters?
2. How does the narrator catch the fish?
3. Who does Verena lean upon when approaching the tree in Chapter 6?
4. Which character says, "At home, in the kitchen, there is a geranium that blooms over and over. Some plants, though, they bloom just once, if at all, and nothing more happens to them. They live, but they've had their life"?
5. What is the one thing that Catherine asks to have brought to her in the jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Collin and Riley go in Chapter 5? Why?
2. What does Mrs. County tell Collin inside the bakery?
3. How does the Judge tell the group to prepare for the battle at the tree in Chapter 6?
4. What leads up to Maude's violin serenade in Chapter 4?
5. What does Sister Ida do after Riley is shot?
6. Who asks Dolly to come with them in Chapter 6? What is her response?
7. How long does it take Riley to return to the car? Why is he angry?
8. Who arrives at the tree house in Chapter 4 to explain the latest events? What does this character relate?
9. What does Collin do in Chapter 4 that gives him a feeling of pride?
10. Whom does the narrator encounter while hiding out in Riley's car in Chapter 5? What does this character do?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)