|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Riley born?
2. What is the name of Riley's sister who is in the protagonist's class in school?
3. Whose esteem does the Judge not enjoy?
(a) His daughters'.
(b) His father's.
(c) His sons'.
(d) His wife's.
4. Where is the man who asked Catherine to marry him?
(c) New York.
(d) New Orleans.
5. What is the father's name of the sisters with whom the narrator went to live?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Riley hunting in the woods in Chapter 2?
2. What is Dolly's potion made to cure?
3. Who teaches Catherine how to make her secret potion?
4. Who tells the Judge in Chapter 2, "If you weren't so old, I'd damn well knock you down"?
5. What does the Judge refer to their group as in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Judge counsel Riley in Chapter 3?
2. What is the story behind Riley's parents?
3. What does the Judge make of Dolly in Chapter 3?
4. Describe the differences between Dolly and Verena's mannerisms and bedrooms.
5. What happened to Riley's uncle?
6. What "secret" does the Judge reveal in Chapter 3?
7. What positions do the sisters whom the narrator lives with have in the town/home? Whom does the narrator gravitate toward of the two?
8. How does the narrator's father feel about Verena and Dolly? How does the narrator come to live with them?
9. What does Dolly declare about love in Chapter 3?
10. Why is the narrator envious of Riley? What responsibilities does Riley have?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)