|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Riley pass around to the others in the tree house in Chapter 2?
(d) Bread rolls.
2. What room is the narrator unable to spy upon from the attic?
(a) Verena's room.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The parlor.
(d) Dolly's room.
3. How old is the character of Catherine?
(a) About fifty.
(b) About seventy.
(c) About sixty.
(d) About forty.
4. Who says, "I'm no man with a dozen faces; the notion"?
5. What does Dolly reveal to the others in the tree house that Verena does?
(a) Sneaks food at night.
(c) Dates a man.
(d) Smokes a pipe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the Judge's wife?
2. What position does Riley's uncle hold in the town?
3. What is the name of the sheriff of the town?
4. Which character has begun to weep at the beginning of Chapter 3?
5. What does the Judge call Dorothy fondly in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events lead up to the departure of Dolly, Catherine, and Collin for the tree house?
2. How does Catherine come to stay on the Talbo property? Describe this character.
3. What does the Judge speak of regarding trust in Chapter 3?
4. What positions do the sisters whom the narrator lives with have in the town/home? Whom does the narrator gravitate toward of the two?
5. What "secret" does the Judge reveal in Chapter 3?
6. What happens at the end of Chapter 2?
7. What does the Judge make of Dolly in Chapter 3?
8. What causes Verena's interest in the dropsy cure?
9. What is Dolly's story with the gypsy women?
10. What does Dolly declare about love in Chapter 3?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)