|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "Today, when I started out with the Sheriff's party, I was a man convinced that his life will have passed uncommunicated and without trace. I think now that I will not have been so unfortunate"?
(b) Mrs. Buster.
(d) The Judge.
2. What is the name of Riley's uncle?
(a) Junius Candle.
(b) Horace Holton.
(c) Charles Cool.
(d) Morris Ritz.
3. What room is the narrator unable to spy upon from the attic?
(a) Verena's room.
(b) Dolly's room.
(c) The parlor.
(d) The kitchen.
4. What kind of grass blows in the grass harp?
(a) Indian grass.
(b) Crimson grass.
(c) Moss grass.
(d) Reed grass.
5. What does Catherine refer to Verena as?
(a) That One.
(b) The Old Bat.
(c) The Spinster.
(d) The Devil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Dolly's room painted?
2. What is the name of the narrator's father?
3. Who tells the narrator about the grass harp?
4. How old is the protagonist when the tree rebellion takes place?
5. Which character has begun to weep at the beginning of Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Verena's interest in the dropsy cure?
2. What is Dolly's story with the gypsy women?
3. What does the tree house gang do while the buzz is going on in the town in Chapter 2?
4. What happened to Riley's uncle?
5. What is the story behind Riley's parents?
6. What "secret" does Catherine reveal in Chapter 3?
7. What is Riley's confession in Chapter 3?
8. How does the Judge come to live with his sons?
9. Describe the differences between Dolly and Verena's mannerisms and bedrooms.
10. What positions do the sisters whom the narrator lives with have in the town/home? Whom does the narrator gravitate toward of the two?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)