|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the character of Catherine?
(a) About seventy.
(b) About forty.
(c) About sixty.
(d) About fifty.
2. Who says, "Today, when I started out with the Sheriff's party, I was a man convinced that his life will have passed uncommunicated and without trace. I think now that I will not have been so unfortunate"?
(a) Mrs. Buster.
(c) The Judge.
3. Who tells the Judge in Chapter 2, "If you weren't so old, I'd damn well knock you down"?
4. In what state does the novel take place?
5. What is the name of Riley's sister who is in the protagonist's class in school?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Catherine's last name?
2. Who teaches Catherine how to make her secret potion?
3. Who used to deliver the papers?
4. What room is the narrator unable to spy upon from the attic?
5. Where does Riley's uncle go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the Judge end up after the tree incident? Who becomes ill?
2. How does the Judge come to live with his sons?
3. What symbols are present in Chapter 7 prior to the death of Dolly?
4. Who helps Collin with his costume? How does it come out?
5. Who arrives at the tree house in Chapter 4 to explain the latest events? What does this character relate?
6. What "secret" does Catherine reveal in Chapter 3?
7. Why do Catherine and Dolly go into the woods once a week?
8. How does the Judge tell the group to prepare for the battle at the tree in Chapter 6?
9. What does Verena buy for Dolly in Chapter 7? Why?
10. What does Mrs. County tell Collin inside the bakery?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)