|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the things that Dorothy says she has loved?
(a) A seashell.
(b) A hummingbird.
(c) A dried honeycomb.
(d) A record-player.
2. Who says, "How could you care about one girl? Have you ever cared about one leaf?"
(b) The Judge.
3. Who tells the Judge in Chapter 2, "If you weren't so old, I'd damn well knock you down"?
4. What townswoman has come with the Sheriff, Minister, and Judge to the tree house in Chapter 2?
(a) Sarah Wheeler.
(b) Macy Wheeler.
(c) Mary Wilson.
(d) Maude County.
5. How old is Dolly?
Short Answer Questions
1. What room is the narrator unable to spy upon from the attic?
2. What is the name of the Minister's wife?
3. What does Dolly reveal to the others in the tree house that Verena does?
4. What does the sheriff go on to become?
5. Where does Riley's mother go?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Judge come to live with his sons?
2. What is Catherine's take on love in Chapter 3? How does her comment change the conversation?
3. How does the Judge counsel Riley in Chapter 3?
4. Describe the differences between Dolly and Verena's mannerisms and bedrooms.
5. What causes Verena's interest in the dropsy cure?
6. Who tells the narrator about the grass harp? What is it?
7. What does Dolly declare about love in Chapter 3?
8. What happened to Riley's uncle?
9. What happens at the end of Chapter 2?
10. What exposition is revealed about the Judge's education and marriage?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)