|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who used to deliver the papers?
(a) John Tilly.
(b) Paul Jimson.
(c) John Lambert.
(d) Sal Rosewater.
2. What does the Judge recall Dolly not having as a child?
(b) Decent clothes.
(c) A sister.
3. How old is the Judge in the picture he sent to the girl in his letters?
4. Who comes to the narrator's house the day after his mother's funeral?
5. What is the father's name of the sisters with whom the narrator went to live?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose esteem does the Judge not enjoy?
2. What does Dolly want to give Catherine for her birthday in Chapter 1?
3. How old is the young girl to whom the Judge wrote?
4. Who tells the Judge in Chapter 2, "If you weren't so old, I'd damn well knock you down"?
5. What is the name of Riley's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Judge speak of regarding trust in Chapter 3?
2. Why do Catherine and Dolly go into the woods once a week?
3. What "secret" does the Judge reveal in Chapter 3?
4. How does Catherine come to stay on the Talbo property? Describe this character.
5. Why is the narrator envious of Riley? What responsibilities does Riley have?
6. What is Riley's confession in Chapter 3?
7. Describe the differences between Dolly and Verena's mannerisms and bedrooms.
8. What positions do the sisters whom the narrator lives with have in the town/home? Whom does the narrator gravitate toward of the two?
9. How does the Judge counsel Riley in Chapter 3?
10. How does the Judge come to live with his sons?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)