|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Judge recall Dolly not having as a child?
(b) Decent clothes.
(d) A sister.
2. Where is the entrance to the attic?
(a) The narrator's bedroom.
(b) The hallway.
(c) The linen closet.
(d) The kitchen.
3. What is the name of the narrator's father?
4. Where does the narrator suggest they go to live in Chapter 2?
(a) An abandoned mansion.
(b) An abandoned railway car.
(c) An abandoned house boat.
(d) An abandoned shack.
5. What is Catherine's last name?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells the Judge in Chapter 2, "If you weren't so old, I'd damn well knock you down"?
2. Who takes Dolly's hand at the end of Chapter 3?
3. Where does Riley's uncle go?
4. What does Catherine refer to Verena as?
5. Who used to deliver the papers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dolly react to the Sheriff's demands? What does the Judge do?
2. What "secret" does the Judge reveal in Chapter 3?
3. What does the Judge make of Dolly in Chapter 3?
4. What exposition is revealed about the Judge's education and marriage?
5. What is Dolly's story with the gypsy women?
6. How does Catherine come to stay on the Talbo property? Describe this character.
7. What does the tree house gang do while the buzz is going on in the town in Chapter 2?
8. How does the law get involved in the matter between Dolly and Verena?
9. Why do Catherine and Dolly go into the woods once a week?
10. Who packs the narrator's belongings in Chapter 1? How does he end up staying at the Talbo house indefinitely?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)