|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Riley's uncle?
(a) Morris Ritz.
(b) Junius Candle.
(c) Horace Holton.
(d) Charles Cool.
2. What townswoman has come with the Sheriff, Minister, and Judge to the tree house in Chapter 2?
(a) Mary Wilson.
(b) Maude County.
(c) Sarah Wheeler.
(d) Macy Wheeler.
3. Who says, "But Judge, I'm not sure I know what it is you have in mind we should tell each other. Secrets?"
4. Where is the little girl to whom the Judge wrote?
5. What does the narrator spy upon Dolly writing in her room?
(b) A novel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What room is the narrator unable to spy upon from the attic?
2. What position does Riley's uncle hold in the town?
3. Who has been the Judge's one true friend?
4. Who says, "Today, when I started out with the Sheriff's party, I was a man convinced that his life will have passed uncommunicated and without trace. I think now that I will not have been so unfortunate"?
5. Who comes to the narrator's house to pack his belongings in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Catherine's take on love in Chapter 3? How does her comment change the conversation?
2. What "secret" does Catherine reveal in Chapter 3?
3. What exposition is revealed about the Judge's education and marriage?
4. What is the group's first interaction with Riley in Chapter 2?
5. What does the tree house gang do while the buzz is going on in the town in Chapter 2?
6. Describe the differences between Dolly and Verena's mannerisms and bedrooms.
7. Why is the narrator envious of Riley? What responsibilities does Riley have?
8. How does Dolly react to the Sheriff's demands? What does the Judge do?
9. What causes Verena's interest in the dropsy cure?
10. What is Dolly's story with the gypsy women?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)