|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the baker's wife give to Collin for Dolly in Chapter 5?
(a) Cinnamon rolls.
(d) Gingerbread men.
2. Who strips off Riley's shirt in Chapter 6?
(b) The Judge.
(d) Sister Ida.
3. What is scattered about the house boat?
(a) Fishing magazines.
(b) Hunting magazines.
(c) Women's magazines.
(d) Adventure magazines.
4. Which character says, "At home, in the kitchen, there is a geranium that blooms over and over. Some plants, though, they bloom just once, if at all, and nothing more happens to them. They live, but they've had their life"?
5. Who is known in the town as the biggest gossip?
(a) The baker.
(b) The Sheriff.
(c) The cobbler.
(d) The barber.
6. What is the name of the child evangelist?
(a) Little Randy Rogers.
(b) Little Homer Honey.
(c) Little Jackie Jonson.
(d) Little Sammy Smith.
7. Who says, "I've envied you always. Come home, Dolly. Leave decisions to me: that, you see, has been my life"?
(c) The Sheriff.
(d) The Judge.
8. What is the one thing that Catherine asks to have brought to her in the jail?
(a) Her cat.
(b) Her embroidery.
(c) Her blanket.
(d) Her goldfish.
9. Who is the schoolmaster at the town school?
(a) Mr. Johnson.
(b) Mr. Hand.
(c) Mr. Candle.
(d) Mr. Carmichael.
10. How much has Verena given to Dr. Ritz for machinery for the old cannery?
(a) Over $50,000.
(b) Over $20,000.
(c) Over $5,000.
(d) Over $10,000.
11. What is the name of Riley's younger sister?
12. What does everyone in the tree house decide they miss most in the morning?
13. How does the narrator catch the fish?
(b) With a fishing pole.
(c) With a reed.
(d) With a knife.
14. What does the man whom Maudie Murphy leaves with do for a living?
(a) Sold detergent.
(b) Sold blankets.
(c) Sold neckties.
(d) Sold whiskey.
15. What does Little Homer wear?
(a) A bib.
(c) A cowboy hat.
(d) A sombrero.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Little Homer lower out of the tree in Chapter 6?
2. What kind of cake does the narrator dream of baking inside the house boat?
3. Where are Dolly and the Judge when the narrator returns from his outing with Riley in Chapter 4?
4. What color hair does Maude have?
5. What kind of fish do the narrator and Riley catch?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)