|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "I don't believe in locking drawers--seems strange a man can't live without keys in what was at least once his own house"?
(d) The Judge.
2. Which character has begun to weep at the beginning of Chapter 3?
3. What color is the car that Riley drives?
4. Who is the richest person in the town?
(b) Horace Holton.
(c) Dr. Ritz.
5. What is the Reverend's last name?
6. What is the Judge's last name?
7. Where is the man who asked Catherine to marry him?
(b) New Orleans.
(c) New York.
8. What is the name of Riley's uncle?
(a) Charles Cool.
(b) Morris Ritz.
(c) Horace Holton.
(d) Junius Candle.
9. What color is Dolly's room painted?
10. What kind of cemetery is near the China tree?
11. Where is Riley born?
12. What is the name of the character whom Verena had been attached to and heartbroken by?
(a) Maudie Murphy.
(b) James Henderson.
(c) Charles Cool.
(d) Junius Candle.
13. What does Dolly want to give Catherine for her birthday in Chapter 1?
(a) A bracelet.
(c) A bouquet.
(d) A doll.
14. What does the Judge call Dorothy fondly in Chapter 3?
(a) A rebel.
(b) A gypsy.
(c) A pagan.
(d) A tart.
15. What does the girl from the Judge's letters send him when he tells her he is going to law school?
(a) A silver coin.
(b) A rabbit's foot.
(c) A lucky pebble.
(d) A gold nugget.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state does the novel take place?
2. What is the name of the man who writes Catherine to ask her to marry him?
3. Whose esteem does the Judge not enjoy?
4. How old is the protagonist when the tree rebellion takes place?
5. Who says, "How could you care about one girl? Have you ever cared about one leaf?"
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)