|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the Judge in the picture he sent to the girl in his letters?
2. What does Riley pass around to the others in the tree house in Chapter 2?
(b) Bread rolls.
3. What does the Judge call Dorothy fondly in Chapter 3?
(a) A rebel.
(b) A tart.
(c) A pagan.
(d) A gypsy.
4. Who says, "I don't believe in locking drawers--seems strange a man can't live without keys in what was at least once his own house"?
(d) The Judge.
5. What does Dolly want to give Catherine for her birthday in Chapter 1?
(b) A doll.
(c) A bouquet.
(d) A bracelet.
6. Who says, "But Judge, I'm not sure I know what it is you have in mind we should tell each other. Secrets?"
7. What is the Judge's last name?
8. Who is the younger sister with whom the narrator goes to stay?
9. Who comes to the narrator's house to pack his belongings in Chapter 1?
(d) His father.
10. What is the name of the man who writes Catherine to ask her to marry him?
11. Where does Verena meet Dr. Ritz?
(a) New Orleans.
(b) St. Louis.
(c) New York.
12. What is the name of Riley's mother?
13. How old is the narrator when he goes to stay with his father's cousins?
14. Who says, "How could you care about one girl? Have you ever cared about one leaf?"
(a) The Judge.
15. What is Dolly's potion made to cure?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Dolly's hand at the end of Chapter 3?
2. What does the narrator spy upon Dolly writing in her room?
3. Who comes to the narrator's house the day after his mother's funeral?
4. In what state does the novel take place?
5. Who has been the Judge's one true friend?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)