|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does the grand inquisitor say man prefers death?
2. What does Ivan say he wishes for his life?
3. Why does the grand inquisitor think the bribe of bread is ultimately useless?
4. What does the grand inquisitor say is more powerful than the banner of bread?
5. What doesn't Alyosha believe?
Essay Topic 1
Why does Alyosha disbelieve the grand inquisitor's character? What does Alyosha believe about the church? What do Alyosha's reactions to Ivan's story reveal about him? When the brother's part what is Alyosha thinking or feeling?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the crowd's behavior change toward Jesus, once the grandinquisitor appears? Identify how the crowd is feeling before Jesus is arrested. Do their feelings change, or just their behavior? What is their opinion of the grand inquisitor?
Essay Topic 3
How do the philosophies of Jesus and the grand inquisitor differ? Compare and contrast the two philosophies.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)