|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan promise to do before he dies?
2. Why did the grand inquisitor change his mind about religion?
3. Why must the church determine right and wrong for the people, according to the grand inquisitor?
4. How does the grand inquisitor justify people turning their backs?
5. What does Ivan say he wishes for his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the people believe the clergy is doing for them?
2. Why does the grand inquisitor say Jesus refused in the second temptation?
3. How does the grand inquisitor justify lying to people about Jesus and religion?
4. Who does the church follow instead of Jesus?
5. What similarity is drawn about Catholics and Masons?
6. Why does the grand inquisitor say have Jesus followers left him?
7. Why does the grand inquisitor think people will follow the church?
8. Why does the grand inquisitor say the clergy will suffer?
9. What is it about the grand inquisitor Alyosha can't believe?
10. Why does the clergy deceive the people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick two literary references from Ivan's literary preface and compare and contrast them. Why did the author include this reference? What is the significance of the reference?
Essay Topic 2
What does Alyosha think about the grand inquisitor's behavior? Why might he be confused about it? What does it mean when he asks if the story is fantasy? Why does Ivan say it doesn't matter if the grand inquisitor had mistaken Jesus' Identity.?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the grand inquisitor let Jesus go after promising to kill him? Why does Jesus kiss the Grand Inquisitor? Is the release of Jesus a result of the kiss? Does the grand inquisitor change his mind at the end of the story or continue to believe as he did.?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)