|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the result of Jesus refusal to take power in the world?
2. What did the grand inquisitor believe when he was younger?
3. Why does the grand inquisitor say men have fought and killed?
4. What does the inquisitor say will eventually happen?
5. Who does the grand inquisitor say is blameless?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the grand inquisitor, what would have happened if Jesus had changed the stones into bread?
2. Why does the grand inquisitor think bribing man with bread is useless?
3. What was the second temptation put to Jesus?
4. Describe Alyosha's response to Ivan's poem.
5. What does Alyosha agree about Ivan's story?
6. Why does the grand inquisitor accuse Jesus of only caring for the strong?
7. Who does the church follow instead of Jesus?
8. Why does the grand inquisitor say Jesus refused in the second temptation?
9. What was the third temptation of Jesus by the spirit in the wilderness?
10. Why does the grand inquisitor think people will follow the church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to the grand inquisitor, what effect would Jesus providing bread for all have on the world? What reactions would this cause people to have toward him? Why does the grand inquisitor believe Jesus refused this temptation?
Essay Topic 2
Would the inquisitor be happy or unhappy that Jesus has returned? Take into account the historical setting of the story and the popular viewpoints of the time.
Essay Topic 3
What does Alyosha think about the grand inquisitor's behavior? Why might he be confused about it? What does it mean when he asks if the story is fantasy? Why does Ivan say it doesn't matter if the grand inquisitor had mistaken Jesus' Identity.?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)