|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Cardinal say would happen if Jesus turned stones into bread?
2. Who will continue to suffer if the church becomes all powerful?
3. What does the grand inquisitor say is more powerful than the banner of bread?
4. What is a prediction given by the grand inquisitor about the future of the church?
5. Why did the grand inquisitor change his mind about religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alyosha agree about Ivan's story?
2. Why does Jesus kiss the grand inquisitor?
3. How does the grand inquisitor justify lying to people about Jesus and religion?
4. What is it about the grand inquisitor Alyosha can't believe?
5. What does the grand inquisitor add to the first question when he restates it to the prisoner?
6. Describe Alyosha's response to Ivan's poem.
7. Why does the grand inquisitor think men fear freedom?
8. Why does the grand inquisitor accuse Jesus of only caring for the strong?
9. Why does the grand inquisitor say Jesus refused in the second temptation?
10. How will the church finish the Tower of Babel that man has built?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based upon his speech in the prison, write about the effects the grand inquisitor believes a reappearance of Jesus would have on 16th century citizens and Christianity.
Essay Topic 2
In the Grand Inquisitor, pairs of characters, Ivan and Alyosha, the inquisitor and Jesus, and Jesus and the devil meet separately. Compare and contrast these meetings. Is there a common theme between the pairs of characters or do they serve to contrast each other?
Essay Topic 3
Does the grand inquisitor believe in the prisoner's guilt or is he arresting him for another reason? What are the reasons the grand inquisitor might arrest a prisoner for? Does the grand inquisitor need to guard his motives for arresting prisoners? Why and how might he guard them?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)