|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mystery does Ivan say is guarded?
2. What did the grand inquisitor believe when he was younger?
3. What does the inquisitor say will happen to the new Tower of Babel?
4. What does the cardinal say man will do for earthly bread?
5. What will the church believe about their reign of power?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the church follow instead of Jesus?
2. Why does the grand inquisitor think people will follow the church?
3. Why does the grand inquisitor say Jesus refused in the second temptation?
4. Why does the grand inquisitor accuse Jesus of only caring for the strong?
5. What similarity is drawn about Catholics and Masons?
6. Describe Alyosha's response to Ivan's poem.
7. What do the people believe the clergy is doing for them?
8. How does the grand inquisitor predict man will feel about his loss of freedom?
9. How does the grand inquisitor justify lying to people about Jesus and religion?
10. What was the second temptation put to Jesus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Alyosha disbelieve the grand inquisitor's character? What does Alyosha believe about the church? What do Alyosha's reactions to Ivan's story reveal about him? When the brother's part what is Alyosha thinking or feeling?
Essay Topic 2
In the Grand Inquisitor, pairs of characters, Ivan and Alyosha, the inquisitor and Jesus, and Jesus and the devil meet separately. Compare and contrast these meetings. Is there a common theme between the pairs of characters or do they serve to contrast each other?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the grand inquisitor say that man is afraid of conscience? How could this conscience be seized? How could it be used by the church if they came to control it as predicted by the grand inquisitor?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)