|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus would do if he really loved humanity?
2. What sanction does the grand inquisitor claim Jesus has given for their behavior?
3. What will the church declare upon finishing the temple?
4. How is the world divided according to the grand inquisitor?
5. What does the cardinal think will lead man away from Jesus?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the grand inquisitor justify lying to people about Jesus and religion?
2. How will the church finish the Tower of Babel that man has built?
3. Why does the grand inquisitor think people will follow the church?
4. Why does the clergy deceive the people?
5. What was the third temptation of Jesus by the spirit in the wilderness?
6. What do the people believe the clergy is doing for them?
7. Why does Jesus deserve to be burned at the stake, according to the grand inquisitor?
8. Why does the grand inquisitor say have Jesus followers left him?
9. Why does Ivan say Catholics don't like Masons?
10. Why does the grand inquisitor say Jesus refused in the second temptation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the grand inquisitor say that man is afraid of conscience? How could this conscience be seized? How could it be used by the church if they came to control it as predicted by the grand inquisitor?
Essay Topic 2
What is the view on religion and history expressed by Ivan in his literary preface? What historical events does he reference? What religious ideas does he take for granted as he describes the progress of Christian thought? How does he describe this progress?
Essay Topic 3
Is the grand inquisitor's motivation to help the prisoner? Does he care about the prisoner or have any sympathy for him? What is his motivation in arresting the prisoner? Why does he come to the prisoner's cell and why does he come secretly at night?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)