|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the cardinal say the church does that Jesus doesn't?
2. Why does the inquisitor say people won't need Jesus?
3. Why does Ivan say the inquisitor suffers?
4. What mystery does Ivan say is guarded?
5. What does the inquisitor say people will build?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor think man's rebellious nature will lead to?
2. Why does Jesus kiss the grand inquisitor?
3. According to the grand inquisitor, what would have happened if Jesus had changed the stones into bread?
4. Who does the church follow instead of Jesus?
5. Why does Ivan say Catholics don't like Masons?
6. How will the church finish the Tower of Babel that man has built?
7. Why does the grand inquisitor say the freedom Jesus gives people is cruel?
8. Why does the grand inquisitor say Jesus refused in the second temptation?
9. How is the church giving people their freedom?
10. What is it about the grand inquisitor Alyosha can't believe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the grand inquisitor's motivation to help the prisoner? Does he care about the prisoner or have any sympathy for him? What is his motivation in arresting the prisoner? Why does he come to the prisoner's cell and why does he come secretly at night?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Alyosha disbelieve the grand inquisitor's character? What does Alyosha believe about the church? What do Alyosha's reactions to Ivan's story reveal about him? When the brother's part what is Alyosha thinking or feeling?
Essay Topic 3
Write about the relationship between the Ivan and Alyosha, do they agree with each other's thinking? Is there love and respect between the brothers?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)