|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the grand inquisitor think the bribe of bread is ultimately useless?
2. What does the inquisitor predict the church will do when it achieves supreme authority?
3. What does Alyosha accuse the inquisitor of?
4. To what does the grand inquisitor say man prefers death?
5. Why do Catholics detest Mason's, according to Ivan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the second temptation put to Jesus?
2. Who does the church follow instead of Jesus?
3. What similarity is drawn about Catholics and Masons?
4. Why does the grand inquisitor say the clergy will suffer?
5. How is the church giving people their freedom?
6. Why does the grand inquisitor say have Jesus followers left him?
7. According to the grand inquisitor, what would have happened if Jesus had changed the stones into bread?
8. How does the grand inquisitor justify lying to people about Jesus and religion?
9. What do the people believe the clergy is doing for them?
10. Why does the grand inquisitor accuse Jesus of only caring for the strong?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the philosophies of Jesus and the grand inquisitor differ? Compare and contrast the two philosophies.
Essay Topic 2
Why does the grand inquisitor ascribe so much value to the questions of temptation asked Jesus? What is the importance of the questions?
Essay Topic 3
Based upon his speech in the prison, write about the effects the grand inquisitor believes a reappearance of Jesus would have on 16th century citizens and Christianity.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)