|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the inquisitor say people will destroy?
2. Who will continue to suffer if the church becomes all powerful?
3. What does the inquisitor predict the church will do when it achieves supreme authority?
4. Who does the grand inquisitor say is blameless?
5. What changes in himself does the grand inquisitor confess?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jesus kiss the grand inquisitor?
2. Describe Alyosha's response to Ivan's poem.
3. What similarity is drawn about Catholics and Masons?
4. Why does the grand inquisitor think people will follow the church?
5. What was the second temptation put to Jesus?
6. Why does the grand inquisitor accuse Jesus of only caring for the strong?
7. What do the people believe the clergy is doing for them?
8. Why does Ivan say Catholics don't like Masons?
9. What does the grand inquisitor think man's rebellious nature will lead to?
10. Why does the clergy deceive the people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick two literary references from Ivan's literary preface and compare and contrast them. Why did the author include this reference? What is the significance of the reference?
Essay Topic 2
According to the grand inquisitor, what effect would Jesus turning stones into bread have on the world? What reactions would this cause people to have toward him? What does the grand inquisitor believe Jesus should have done differently? How does the grand inquisitor explain the church's reaction to Jesus refusal of this temptation?
Essay Topic 3
According to the grand inquisitor, what effect would Jesus providing bread for all have on the world? What reactions would this cause people to have toward him? Why does the grand inquisitor believe Jesus refused this temptation?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)