|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will the church declare upon finishing the temple?
2. What is a prediction given by the grand inquisitor about the future of the church?
3. What does the inquisitor say will happen to the new Tower of Babel?
4. How is the world divided according to the grand inquisitor?
5. What will the church believe about their reign of power?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alyosha agree about Ivan's story?
2. How does the grand inquisitor predict man will feel about his loss of freedom?
3. What is it about the grand inquisitor Alyosha can't believe?
4. Why does the clergy deceive the people?
5. Why does the grand inquisitor say have Jesus followers left him?
6. According to the grand inquisitor, what would have happened if Jesus had changed the stones into bread?
7. Why does the grand inquisitor value the weak?
8. Why does the grand inquisitor think bribing man with bread is useless?
9. Who does the church follow instead of Jesus?
10. Why does the grand inquisitor think people will follow the church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Grand Inquisitor, pairs of characters, Ivan and Alyosha, the inquisitor and Jesus, and Jesus and the devil meet separately. Compare and contrast these meetings. Is there a common theme between the pairs of characters or do they serve to contrast each other?
Essay Topic 2
How is the church in this story deceiving the people? Are they working truly in the people's best interest?
Essay Topic 3
Does the grand inquisitor believe in the prisoner's guilt or is he arresting him for another reason? What are the reasons the grand inquisitor might arrest a prisoner for? Does the grand inquisitor need to guard his motives for arresting prisoners? Why and how might he guard them?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)