|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the grand inquisitor, what is the church's work founded on?
2. What will the church declare upon finishing the temple?
3. What does the grand inquisitor say is beyond the strength of man?
4. Why does the inquisitor say people must submit to authority?
5. How does the inquisitor equate the clergy and Jesus himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it about the grand inquisitor Alyosha can't believe?
2. How will the church finish the Tower of Babel that man has built?
3. What was the third temptation of Jesus by the spirit in the wilderness?
4. What similarity is drawn about Catholics and Masons?
5. How does the grand inquisitor predict man will feel about his loss of freedom?
6. What do the people believe the clergy is doing for them?
7. What does Alyosha agree about Ivan's story?
8. Why does the grand inquisitor say Jesus refused in the second temptation?
9. Why does the grand inquisitor say the clergy will suffer?
10. What does the grand inquisitor think man's rebellious nature will lead to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the grand inquisitor say that man is afraid of conscience? How could this conscience be seized? How could it be used by the church if they came to control it as predicted by the grand inquisitor?
Essay Topic 2
What does Alyosha think about the grand inquisitor's behavior? Why might he be confused about it? What does it mean when he asks if the story is fantasy? Why does Ivan say it doesn't matter if the grand inquisitor had mistaken Jesus' Identity.?
Essay Topic 3
What is the view on religion and history expressed by Ivan in his literary preface? What historical events does he reference? What religious ideas does he take for granted as he describes the progress of Christian thought? How does he describe this progress?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)