|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first question the spirit asks Jesus?
2. Why does the cardinal think people don't want freedom?
3. Why does the inquisitor think people will rise?
4. What is the third thing Jesus is tempted with?
5. What does Ivan promise to do before he dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Alyosha's response to Ivan's poem.
2. What does the grand inquisitor think man's rebellious nature will lead to?
3. Why does the grand inquisitor think bribing man with bread is useless?
4. Why does the grand inquisitor value the weak?
5. How does the grand inquisitor predict man will feel about his loss of freedom?
6. What is it about the grand inquisitor Alyosha can't believe?
7. Why does the grand inquisitor say the freedom Jesus gives people is cruel?
8. What was the third temptation of Jesus by the spirit in the wilderness?
9. How does the grand inquisitor justify lying to people about Jesus and religion?
10. Why does the grand inquisitor say have Jesus followers left him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the church in this story deceiving the people? Are they working truly in the people's best interest?
Essay Topic 2
Pick two literary references from Ivan's literary preface and compare and contrast them. Why did the author include this reference? What is the significance of the reference?
Essay Topic 3
Why did the author choose to set the story in Seville of the Inquisition as opposed to another time and place? What is significant about this setting? How does the setting come into play in the plot of Ivan's narrative? Where else could he have set the story?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)