|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the cardinal say man will do for earthly bread?
2. Why does the grand inquisitor think man values more than bread?
3. Why does the inquisitor say people must submit to authority?
4. How does the inquisitor equate the clergy and Jesus himself?
5. Why does the inquisitor say people won't need Jesus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alyosha agree about Ivan's story?
2. Why does Jesus kiss the grand inquisitor?
3. Why does the grand inquisitor think men fear freedom?
4. Why does the grand inquisitor say the clergy will suffer?
5. What similarity is drawn about Catholics and Masons?
6. Why does the grand inquisitor say the freedom Jesus gives people is cruel?
7. How will the church finish the Tower of Babel that man has built?
8. Why does the grand inquisitor think people will follow the church?
9. Who does the church follow instead of Jesus?
10. What does the grand inquisitor think man's rebellious nature will lead to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the grand inquisitor say that man is afraid of conscience? How could this conscience be seized? How could it be used by the church if they came to control it as predicted by the grand inquisitor?
Essay Topic 2
Would the inquisitor be happy or unhappy that Jesus has returned? Take into account the historical setting of the story and the popular viewpoints of the time.
Essay Topic 3
Does the grand inquisitor believe in the prisoner's guilt or is he arresting him for another reason? What are the reasons the grand inquisitor might arrest a prisoner for? Does the grand inquisitor need to guard his motives for arresting prisoners? Why and how might he guard them?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)