|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the cardinal say man will do for earthly bread?
2. According to the grand inquisitor, what will the be the church's view on freedom?
3. Why must the church determine right and wrong for the people, according to the grand inquisitor?
4. Why do Catholics detest Mason's, according to Ivan?
5. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus did to spirituality?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the church follow instead of Jesus?
2. Why does Jesus kiss the grand inquisitor?
3. What do the people believe the clergy is doing for them?
4. What was the second temptation put to Jesus?
5. Why does the grand inquisitor think people will follow the church?
6. Why does the grand inquisitor say the freedom Jesus gives people is cruel?
7. How does the grand inquisitor justify lying to people about Jesus and religion?
8. What does Alyosha agree about Ivan's story?
9. How does the grand inquisitor predict man will feel about his loss of freedom?
10. What does the grand inquisitor add to the first question when he restates it to the prisoner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does the grand inquisitor believe in the prisoner's guilt or is he arresting him for another reason? What are the reasons the grand inquisitor might arrest a prisoner for? Does the grand inquisitor need to guard his motives for arresting prisoners? Why and how might he guard them?
Essay Topic 2
Write about the relationship between the Ivan and Alyosha, do they agree with each other's thinking? Is there love and respect between the brothers?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the crowd's behavior change toward Jesus, once the grandinquisitor appears? Identify how the crowd is feeling before Jesus is arrested. Do their feelings change, or just their behavior? What is their opinion of the grand inquisitor?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)