|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the grand inquisitor say is blameless?
2. Why is there still doubt as to the truth of Jesus' divinity?
3. What does the grand inquisitor think people need in addition to life?
4. What does Alyosha think the Inquisition's secret aim is?
5. What does Ivan promise to do before he dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the grand inquisitor think bribing man with bread is useless?
2. Why does Jesus deserve to be burned at the stake, according to the grand inquisitor?
3. What was the second temptation put to Jesus?
4. Why does the clergy deceive the people?
5. What does the grand inquisitor think man's rebellious nature will lead to?
6. What is it about the grand inquisitor Alyosha can't believe?
7. What does the grand inquisitor add to the first question when he restates it to the prisoner?
8. How does the grand inquisitor justify lying to people about Jesus and religion?
9. How does the grand inquisitor predict man will feel about his loss of freedom?
10. Why does the grand inquisitor say Jesus refused in the second temptation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the grand inquisitor ascribe so much value to the questions of temptation asked Jesus? What is the importance of the questions?
Essay Topic 2
Would the inquisitor be happy or unhappy that Jesus has returned? Take into account the historical setting of the story and the popular viewpoints of the time.
Essay Topic 3
Write about the relationship between the Ivan and Alyosha, do they agree with each other's thinking? Is there love and respect between the brothers?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)