|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Cardinal say would happen if Jesus turned stones into bread?
2. What doesn't Alyosha believe?
3. Why did the grand inquisitor change his mind about religion?
4. In the Inquisition, what happens of one disagrees with the church?
5. Why does the grand inquisitor think man values more than bread?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the grand inquisitor say the clergy will suffer?
2. Who does the church follow instead of Jesus?
3. What is it about the grand inquisitor Alyosha can't believe?
4. Why does the grand inquisitor say have Jesus followers left him?
5. What does the grand inquisitor add to the first question when he restates it to the prisoner?
6. Why does the grand inquisitor accuse Jesus of only caring for the strong?
7. What was the third temptation of Jesus by the spirit in the wilderness?
8. Why does Jesus kiss the grand inquisitor?
9. Why does Ivan say Catholics don't like Masons?
10. Why does the grand inquisitor value the weak?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the grand inquisitor's motivation to help the prisoner? Does he care about the prisoner or have any sympathy for him? What is his motivation in arresting the prisoner? Why does he come to the prisoner's cell and why does he come secretly at night?
Essay Topic 2
Would the inquisitor be happy or unhappy that Jesus has returned? Take into account the historical setting of the story and the popular viewpoints of the time.
Essay Topic 3
Why does the grand inquisitor let Jesus go after promising to kill him? Why does Jesus kiss the Grand Inquisitor? Is the release of Jesus a result of the kiss? Does the grand inquisitor change his mind at the end of the story or continue to believe as he did.?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)