|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the grand inquisitor, How does the church use Jesus to deceive the people?
2. What does Alyosha accuse Ivan of lacking?
3. Who will finish the new Tower of Babel?
4. What does the inquisitor say will happen to the new Tower of Babel?
5. What changes in himself does the grand inquisitor confess?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the grand inquisitor think men fear freedom?
2. Why does the grand inquisitor say Jesus refused in the second temptation?
3. What does the grand inquisitor think man's rebellious nature will lead to?
4. Why does the clergy deceive the people?
5. According to the grand inquisitor, what would have happened if Jesus had changed the stones into bread?
6. What do the people believe the clergy is doing for them?
7. What similarity is drawn about Catholics and Masons?
8. What does Alyosha agree about Ivan's story?
9. How does the grand inquisitor justify lying to people about Jesus and religion?
10. Why does the grand inquisitor say have Jesus followers left him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to the grand inquisitor, what effect would Jesus providing bread for all have on the world? What reactions would this cause people to have toward him? Why does the grand inquisitor believe Jesus refused this temptation?
Essay Topic 2
Write about Alyosha's purpose in the narrative. What role does the author choose for him to play? What effect does his existence have on the narrative? Give at least one example to explain your thinking.
Essay Topic 3
In the Grand Inquisitor, pairs of characters, Ivan and Alyosha, the inquisitor and Jesus, and Jesus and the devil meet separately. Compare and contrast these meetings. Is there a common theme between the pairs of characters or do they serve to contrast each other?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)