|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the significance of the Tower of Babel?
2. What does the cardinal think will lead man away from Jesus?
3. What does the grand inquisitor say is more powerful than the banner of bread?
4. Who will finish the new Tower of Babel?
5. How does the church create a unified body of worship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the church giving people their freedom?
2. Why does the grand inquisitor say the clergy will suffer?
3. How does the grand inquisitor predict man will feel about his loss of freedom?
4. What is it about the grand inquisitor Alyosha can't believe?
5. Why does the grand inquisitor think bribing man with bread is useless?
6. What does the grand inquisitor add to the first question when he restates it to the prisoner?
7. Why does the grand inquisitor accuse Jesus of only caring for the strong?
8. Who does the church follow instead of Jesus?
9. How does the grand inquisitor justify lying to people about Jesus and religion?
10. Why does the grand inquisitor think men fear freedom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the grand inquisitor ascribe so much value to the questions of temptation asked Jesus? What is the importance of the questions?
Essay Topic 2
Does the grand inquisitor believe in the prisoner's guilt or is he arresting him for another reason? What are the reasons the grand inquisitor might arrest a prisoner for? Does the grand inquisitor need to guard his motives for arresting prisoners? Why and how might he guard them?
Essay Topic 3
According to the grand inquisitor, what effect would Jesus providing bread for all have on the world? What reactions would this cause people to have toward him? Why does the grand inquisitor believe Jesus refused this temptation?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)