|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alyosha accuse Ivan of being a Mason?
2. What changes in himself does the grand inquisitor confess?
3. Why does the grand inquisitor say men have fought and killed?
4. How long does the grand inquisitor say it had been since the church followed Jesus' teachings?
5. Why does the grand inquisitor think the bribe of bread is ultimately useless?
Essay Topic 1
Why did the author choose to set the story in Seville of the Inquisition as opposed to another time and place? What is significant about this setting? How does the setting come into play in the plot of Ivan's narrative? Where else could he have set the story?
Essay Topic 2
Does the grand inquisitor believe in the prisoner's guilt or is he arresting him for another reason? What are the reasons the grand inquisitor might arrest a prisoner for? Does the grand inquisitor need to guard his motives for arresting prisoners? Why and how might he guard them?
Essay Topic 3
Would the inquisitor be happy or unhappy that Jesus has returned? Take into account the historical setting of the story and the popular viewpoints of the time.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)