|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the cardinal say man will do for earthly bread?
2. Who does the grand inquisitor say the church follows?
3. What does Ivan hope to learn upon meeting Alyosha again?
4. What does Ivan say must exist among the clergy?
5. What changes in himself does the grand inquisitor confess?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor add to the first question when he restates it to the prisoner?
2. According to the grand inquisitor, what would have happened if Jesus had changed the stones into bread?
3. Who does the church follow instead of Jesus?
4. Why does the grand inquisitor think bribing man with bread is useless?
5. What do the people believe the clergy is doing for them?
6. What was the second temptation put to Jesus?
7. Why does Jesus kiss the grand inquisitor?
8. Why does the grand inquisitor accuse Jesus of only caring for the strong?
9. Why does the grand inquisitor say have Jesus followers left him?
10. Why does the grand inquisitor think people will follow the church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Would the inquisitor be happy or unhappy that Jesus has returned? Take into account the historical setting of the story and the popular viewpoints of the time.
Essay Topic 2
How is the church in this story deceiving the people? Are they working truly in the people's best interest?
Essay Topic 3
How do the philosophies of Jesus and the grand inquisitor differ? Compare and contrast the two philosophies.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)