|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alyosha accuse the inquisitor of?
2. Why is there still doubt as to the truth of Jesus' divinity?
3. What does the grand inquisitor say is beyond the strength of man?
4. What does the inquisitor predict the church will do when it achieves supreme authority?
5. What does Ivan hope to learn upon meeting Alyosha again?
Essay Topic 1
Why did the author choose to set the story in Seville of the Inquisition as opposed to another time and place? What is significant about this setting? How does the setting come into play in the plot of Ivan's narrative? Where else could he have set the story?
Essay Topic 2
Pick two literary references from Ivan's literary preface and compare and contrast them. Why did the author include this reference? What is the significance of the reference?
Essay Topic 3
Write about Alyosha's purpose in the narrative. What role does the author choose for him to play? What effect does his existence have on the narrative? Give at least one example to explain your thinking.
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)