|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is similar about Catholics and Masons, according to Ivan?
2. What responsibility does the inquisitor say the has clergy taken on?
3. According to the grand inquisitor, what will the be the church's view on freedom?
4. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus wishes from people?
5. Why did the grand inquisitor change his mind about Jesus teachings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What similarity is drawn about Catholics and Masons?
2. How is the church giving people their freedom?
3. How will the church finish the Tower of Babel that man has built?
4. What was the second temptation put to Jesus?
5. What was the third temptation of Jesus by the spirit in the wilderness?
6. Why does the grand inquisitor think men fear freedom?
7. Why does the grand inquisitor say Jesus refused in the second temptation?
8. Why does the grand inquisitor think bribing man with bread is useless?
9. Why does Jesus deserve to be burned at the stake, according to the grand inquisitor?
10. Why does the grand inquisitor say the clergy will suffer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about Alyosha's purpose in the narrative. What role does the author choose for him to play? What effect does his existence have on the narrative? Give at least one example to explain your thinking.
Essay Topic 2
In the Grand Inquisitor, pairs of characters, Ivan and Alyosha, the inquisitor and Jesus, and Jesus and the devil meet separately. Compare and contrast these meetings. Is there a common theme between the pairs of characters or do they serve to contrast each other?
Essay Topic 3
How do the philosophies of Jesus and the grand inquisitor differ? Compare and contrast the two philosophies.
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)