Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does the grand inquisitor say man prefers death?
2. What does Ivan say he wishes for his life?
3. Why does the grand inquisitor think the bribe of bread is ultimately useless?
4. What does the grand inquisitor say is more powerful than the banner of bread?
5. What doesn't Alyosha believe?
Essay Topic 1
How do the philosophies of Jesus and the grand inquisitor differ? Compare and contrast the two philosophies.
Essay Topic 2
Write about Alyosha's purpose in the narrative. What role does the author choose for him to play? What effect does his existence have on the narrative? Give at least one example to explain your thinking.
Essay Topic 3
Is the grand inquisitor's motivation to help the prisoner? Does he care about the prisoner or have any sympathy for him? What is his motivation in arresting the prisoner? Why does he come to the prisoner's cell and why does he come secretly at night?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)