|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Catholics detest Mason's, according to Ivan?
2. According to the grand inquisitor, How does the church use Jesus to deceive the people?
3. What is the third thing Jesus is tempted with?
4. What does the inquisitor say people will destroy?
5. What does the inquisitor say will happen to the new Tower of Babel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the grand inquisitor let Jesus go after promising to kill him? Why does Jesus kiss the Grand Inquisitor? Is the release of Jesus a result of the kiss? Does the grand inquisitor change his mind at the end of the story or continue to believe as he did.?
Essay Topic 2
Write about the relationship between the Ivan and Alyosha, do they agree with each other's thinking? Is there love and respect between the brothers?
Essay Topic 3
Based upon his speech in the prison, write about the effects the grand inquisitor believes a reappearance of Jesus would have on 16th century citizens and Christianity.
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)