|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person Jesus helps in the crowd?
2. What author's work does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
3. Who does Ivan NOT say was present at the auto de fe the day before?
4. What does the grand inquisitor say happened in the wilderness?
5. Who in the crowd does Jesus Heal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Jesus use his powers to control man?
2. What does the grand inquisitor believe is most important about Jesus' temptation?
3. Why does Ivan repeatedly mention Dante in his preface?
4. What is the subject of Ivan's Literary Preface?
5. What does the cardinal do once he is shut in the room with the prisoner?
6. Why does the priest in the funeral look perplexed?
7. Describe Ivan's manner the first time Alyosha stops to question him.
8. What is the purpose of the spirit's questions to Jesus In the wilderness?
9. How does the little girl feel when she comes back to life?
10. Why does Ivan call Jesus' appearance a visit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick two literary references from Ivan's literary preface and compare and contrast them. Why did the author include this reference? What is the significance of the reference?
Essay Topic 2
What is the view on religion and history expressed by Ivan in his literary preface? What historical events does he reference? What religious ideas does he take for granted as he describes the progress of Christian thought? How does he describe this progress?
Essay Topic 3
Does the grand inquisitor believe in the prisoner's guilt or is he arresting him for another reason? What are the reasons the grand inquisitor might arrest a prisoner for? Does the grand inquisitor need to guard his motives for arresting prisoners? Why and how might he guard them?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)