|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is hiding the dead girl?
2. Who isn't present in the girl's funeral?
3. Who is the character mentioned from "Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie," when Ivan references this play?
4. What century does Ivan's Legend take place in?
5. What does the cardinal do when he repeats the spirit's questions?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Our Lady feel when she sees sinners in the burning lake?
2. Why does Ivan repeatedly mention Dante in his preface?
3. What does Alyosha think of the old man's behavior?
4. Why does the inquisitor think the three questions are important?
5. What is the purpose of the spirit's questions to Jesus In the wilderness?
6. Describe the grand inquisitor's manner of speech to the prisoner.
7. What does the cardinal do once he is shut in the room with the prisoner?
8. Why does the crowd flock to Jesus?
9. Why does Ivan suggest some people's connection in Jesus began to dwindle?
10. Why does Ivan suggest some people's faith in Jesus become stronger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about Alyosha's purpose in the narrative. What role does the author choose for him to play? What effect does his existence have on the narrative? Give at least one example to explain your thinking.
Essay Topic 2
Why does the grand inquisitor let Jesus go after promising to kill him? Why does Jesus kiss the Grand Inquisitor? Is the release of Jesus a result of the kiss? Does the grand inquisitor change his mind at the end of the story or continue to believe as he did.?
Essay Topic 3
Would the inquisitor be happy or unhappy that Jesus has returned? Take into account the historical setting of the story and the popular viewpoints of the time.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)