|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened at the auto de fe the day before the prisoner is arrested?
2. What character is speaking when the story begins?
3. What is a "Literary Preface," in the case of this story?
4. What does the the grand inquisitor tell Jesus his fate will be the next day?
5. How old is the cardinal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the grand inquisitor's attitude to the three questions that tempted Jesus.
2. Why were the cardinals, the king and his court, the knights, and the whole population of Seville at the auto de fe?
3. Why does Ivan repeatedly mention Dante in his preface?
4. Why doesn't the grand inquisitor want Jesus to add to his teachings?
5. How does Our Lady feel when she sees sinners in the burning lake?
6. Describe the grand inquisitor's manner of speech to the prisoner.
7. What happened the day before to 100 people declared as heretics?
8. How does the little girl feel when she comes back to life?
9. What is the subject of Ivan's Literary Preface?
10. What is the purpose of the spirit's questions to Jesus In the wilderness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based upon his speech in the prison, write about the effects the grand inquisitor believes a reappearance of Jesus would have on 16th century citizens and Christianity.
Essay Topic 2
What is the view on religion and history expressed by Ivan in his literary preface? What historical events does he reference? What religious ideas does he take for granted as he describes the progress of Christian thought? How does he describe this progress?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the grand inquisitor let Jesus go after promising to kill him? Why does Jesus kiss the Grand Inquisitor? Is the release of Jesus a result of the kiss? Does the grand inquisitor change his mind at the end of the story or continue to believe as he did.?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)