|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the cardinal''s face look?
2. What is the cardinal wearing when he witnesses the crowd?
3. What does the crowd do after they see Jesus perform healing?
4. What order does the cardinal give to his guards after witnessing the scene in front of the cathedral?
5. Why is Jesus' appearance deemed a visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the people believe the clergy is doing for them?
2. How does the little girl feel when she comes back to life?
3. Why does the crowd ask to be healed by the stranger?
4. Describe Alyosha's response to Ivan's poem.
5. What was the second temptation put to Jesus?
6. Describe the grand inquisitor's attitude to the three questions that tempted Jesus.
7. Why does God find it hard to spare the sinners in hell despite Our Lady's pleas for mercy?
8. Why does the grand inquisitor say Jesus refused in the second temptation?
9. Who does the church follow instead of Jesus?
10. Why does Ivan repeatedly mention Dante in his preface?
Essay Topic 1
Does the grand inquisitor believe in the prisoner's guilt or is he arresting him for another reason? What are the reasons the grand inquisitor might arrest a prisoner for? Does the grand inquisitor need to guard his motives for arresting prisoners? Why and how might he guard them?
Essay Topic 2
In the Grand Inquisitor, pairs of characters, Ivan and Alyosha, the inquisitor and Jesus, and Jesus and the devil meet separately. Compare and contrast these meetings. Is there a common theme between the pairs of characters or do they serve to contrast each other?
Essay Topic 3
According to the grand inquisitor, what effect would Jesus turning stones into bread have on the world? What reactions would this cause people to have toward him? What does the grand inquisitor believe Jesus should have done differently? How does the grand inquisitor explain the church's reaction to Jesus refusal of this temptation?
This section contains 1,379 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)