|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is traveling with the cardinal?
2. What does the woman of the dead child do when asking Jesus for help?
3. What is hiding the dead girl?
4. What author's work does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
5. How does Jesus help the second person in the crowd?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor believe about people's freedom?
2. Describe the grand inquisitor's manner of speech to the prisoner.
3. What is the "new heresy" Ivan refers to in the "north of Germany?"
4. Why does Ivan call Jesus' appearance a visit?
5. Why does God find it hard to spare the sinners in hell despite Our Lady's pleas for mercy?
6. Why does Ivan repeatedly mention Dante in his preface?
7. Who is the spirit that talks with Jesus in the wilderness?
8. How does Our Lady feel when she sees sinners in the burning lake?
9. Why does Jesus appear at the specific time and place in Spain?
10. Why does the inquisitor think the three questions are important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the grand inquisitor's motivation to help the prisoner? Does he care about the prisoner or have any sympathy for him? What is his motivation in arresting the prisoner? Why does he come to the prisoner's cell and why does he come secretly at night?
Essay Topic 2
Write about the relationship between the Ivan and Alyosha, do they agree with each other's thinking? Is there love and respect between the brothers?
Essay Topic 3
Based upon his speech in the prison, write about the effects the grand inquisitor believes a reappearance of Jesus would have on 16th century citizens and Christianity.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)