|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ivan, did Jesus have any physical presence on earth in the 16th Century?
2. What does the grand inquisitor say happened to Jesus?
3. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
4. Why does Ivan say, "there was nothing left but faith in what the heart doth say."
5. When does Ivan say religiously themed plays, chiefly from the Old Testament, stopped being performed in Moscow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ivan suggest some people's connection in Jesus began to dwindle?
2. Why does Ivan call Jesus' appearance a visit?
3. Describe Ivan's manner the first time Alyosha stops to question him.
4. Why doesn't the grand inquisitor want Jesus to add to his teachings?
5. How does Our Lady feel when she sees sinners in the burning lake?
6. Describe the grand inquisitor's manner of speech to the prisoner.
7. Why does the cardinal come to the prisoner's room alone and in the night?
8. What is the grand inquisitor's judgment about Jesus' response to the temptation?
9. Why does Jesus appear at the specific time and place in Spain?
10. Why does the priest in the funeral look perplexed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the grand inquisitor's motivation to help the prisoner? Does he care about the prisoner or have any sympathy for him? What is his motivation in arresting the prisoner? Why does he come to the prisoner's cell and why does he come secretly at night?
Essay Topic 2
According to the grand inquisitor, what effect would Jesus turning stones into bread have on the world? What reactions would this cause people to have toward him? What does the grand inquisitor believe Jesus should have done differently? How does the grand inquisitor explain the church's reaction to Jesus refusal of this temptation?
Essay Topic 3
Based upon his speech in the prison, write about the effects the grand inquisitor believes a reappearance of Jesus would have on 16th century citizens and Christianity.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)