|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the cardinal doing the day before the prisoner is arrested?
2. Who isn't present in the girl's funeral?
3. What does the the grand inquisitor tell Jesus his fate will be the next day?
4. Why does the cardinal think Jesus' appearance will harm humanity?
5. How does Ivan describe the night in Seville?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the crowd ask to be healed by the stranger?
2. What is the subject of Ivan's Literary Preface?
3. What does Alyosha think of the old man's behavior?
4. Describe Ivan's manner the first time Alyosha stops to question him.
5. Why does Ivan repeatedly mention Dante in his preface?
6. Why does Jesus appear at the specific time and place in Spain?
7. Why didn't Jesus use his powers to control man?
8. Why were the cardinals, the king and his court, the knights, and the whole population of Seville at the auto de fe?
9. Why does God find it hard to spare the sinners in hell despite Our Lady's pleas for mercy?
10. Why does the priest in the funeral look perplexed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the philosophies of Jesus and the grand inquisitor differ? Compare and contrast the two philosophies.
Essay Topic 2
Based upon his speech in the prison, write about the effects the grand inquisitor believes a reappearance of Jesus would have on 16th century citizens and Christianity.
Essay Topic 3
Would the inquisitor be happy or unhappy that Jesus has returned? Take into account the historical setting of the story and the popular viewpoints of the time.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)