|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the inquisitor say couldn't be clear at the time of the questions?
2. Where do the guards take the prisoner?
3. What is hiding the dead girl?
4. How does Ivan feel about the part in his poem where the prisoner first appears?
5. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is NOT referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ivan suggest some people's faith in Jesus become stronger?
2. Why does the crowd get excited when they recognize Jesus?
3. Describe the grand inquisitor's manner of speech to the prisoner.
4. Why does the inquisitor think the three questions are important?
5. What is the grand inquisitor's judgment about Jesus' response to the temptation?
6. Why does the crowd ask to be healed by the stranger?
7. Why didn't Jesus use his powers to control man?
8. How are the literary examples in Ivan's preface related?
9. Why doesn't the grand inquisitor want Jesus to add to his teachings?
10. What happened the day before to 100 people declared as heretics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based upon his speech in the prison, write about the effects the grand inquisitor believes a reappearance of Jesus would have on 16th century citizens and Christianity.
Essay Topic 2
Write about the relationship between the Ivan and Alyosha, do they agree with each other's thinking? Is there love and respect between the brothers?
Essay Topic 3
Does the grand inquisitor believe in the prisoner's guilt or is he arresting him for another reason? What are the reasons the grand inquisitor might arrest a prisoner for? Does the grand inquisitor need to guard his motives for arresting prisoners? Why and how might he guard them?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)