|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the people react to the guards seizing the prisoner from their midst?
2. Why does Ivan say that Jesus appears in his tale?
3. In the Inquisition what are penances?
4. What order does the cardinal give to his guards after witnessing the scene in front of the cathedral?
5. What does Alyosha ask Ivan about his story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the grand inquisitor's attitude to the three questions that tempted Jesus.
2. Describe the grand inquisitor's manner of speech to the prisoner.
3. How are the literary examples in Ivan's preface related?
4. Who is the spirit that talks with Jesus in the wilderness?
5. Why does Ivan call Jesus' appearance a visit?
6. What is the grand inquisitor's judgment about Jesus' response to the temptation?
7. What is the purpose of the spirit's questions to Jesus In the wilderness?
8. What does Alyosha think of the old man's behavior?
9. Why does the priest in the funeral look perplexed?
10. Why does Jesus appear at the specific time and place in Spain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick two literary references from Ivan's literary preface and compare and contrast them. Why did the author include this reference? What is the significance of the reference?
Essay Topic 2
According to the grand inquisitor, what effect would Jesus providing bread for all have on the world? What reactions would this cause people to have toward him? Why does the grand inquisitor believe Jesus refused this temptation?
Essay Topic 3
Based upon his speech in the prison, write about the effects the grand inquisitor believes a reappearance of Jesus would have on 16th century citizens and Christianity.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)