|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan mean when he says, "It was customary in poetry to bring down heavenly powers on earth"?
2. How old is the cardinal?
3. Besides in the works specifically mentioned, where does Ivan say that Christian religious figures appear?
4. How does the grand inquisitor feel about the questions that Jesus was tempted with?
5. In the Inquisition, who controlled penances?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does God find it hard to spare the sinners in hell despite Our Lady's pleas for mercy?
2. Why does the inquisitor think the three questions are important?
3. What is the subject of Ivan's Literary Preface?
4. Who is the spirit that talks with Jesus in the wilderness?
5. How does Our Lady feel when she sees sinners in the burning lake?
6. Why does the crowd flock to Jesus?
7. Why does Ivan call Jesus' appearance a visit?
8. Why does the crowd get excited when they recognize Jesus?
9. Describe Ivan's manner the first time Alyosha stops to question him.
10. What is the purpose of the spirit's questions to Jesus In the wilderness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the grand inquisitor say that man is afraid of conscience? How could this conscience be seized? How could it be used by the church if they came to control it as predicted by the grand inquisitor?
Essay Topic 2
Write about Alyosha's purpose in the narrative. What role does the author choose for him to play? What effect does his existence have on the narrative? Give at least one example to explain your thinking.
Essay Topic 3
What is the view on religion and history expressed by Ivan in his literary preface? What historical events does he reference? What religious ideas does he take for granted as he describes the progress of Christian thought? How does he describe this progress?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)