|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What author's work does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
2. Why is Jesus' appearance deemed a visit?
3. What breaks Ivan's Narrative?
4. Who isn't present in the girl's funeral?
5. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is NOT referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor believe is most important about Jesus' temptation?
2. Why does the cardinal come to the prisoner's room alone and in the night?
3. Why does the crowd flock to Jesus?
4. Who is the spirit that talks with Jesus in the wilderness?
5. What happened the day before to 100 people declared as heretics?
6. How are the literary examples in Ivan's preface related?
7. What is the subject of Ivan's Literary Preface?
8. Why were the cardinals, the king and his court, the knights, and the whole population of Seville at the auto de fe?
9. Describe the grand inquisitor's attitude to the three questions that tempted Jesus.
10. Describe the grand inquisitor's manner of speech to the prisoner.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Alyosha disbelieve the grand inquisitor's character? What does Alyosha believe about the church? What do Alyosha's reactions to Ivan's story reveal about him? When the brother's part what is Alyosha thinking or feeling?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the crowd's behavior change toward Jesus, once the grandinquisitor appears? Identify how the crowd is feeling before Jesus is arrested. Do their feelings change, or just their behavior? What is their opinion of the grand inquisitor?
Essay Topic 3
According to the grand inquisitor, what effect would Jesus turning stones into bread have on the world? What reactions would this cause people to have toward him? What does the grand inquisitor believe Jesus should have done differently? How does the grand inquisitor explain the church's reaction to Jesus refusal of this temptation?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)