|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person Jesus helps in the crowd?
2. What does the inquisitor say couldn't be clear at the time of the questions?
3. How does the blind man get Jesus to heal him?
4. How does Jesus help the second person in the crowd?
5. What is the grand inquisitor's manner with Jesus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor believe about people's freedom?
2. What similarity is drawn about Catholics and Masons?
3. What does Alyosha agree about Ivan's story?
4. Why does the clergy deceive the people?
5. Why were the cardinals, the king and his court, the knights, and the whole population of Seville at the auto de fe?
6. What is the "new heresy" Ivan refers to in the "north of Germany?"
7. How does the little girl feel when she comes back to life?
8. Why does God find it hard to spare the sinners in hell despite Our Lady's pleas for mercy?
9. What happened the day before to 100 people declared as heretics?
10. Why does the grand inquisitor value the weak?
Essay Topic 1
Based upon his speech in the prison, write about the effects the grand inquisitor believes a reappearance of Jesus would have on 16th century citizens and Christianity.
Essay Topic 2
What is the view on religion and history expressed by Ivan in his literary preface? What historical events does he reference? What religious ideas does he take for granted as he describes the progress of Christian thought? How does he describe this progress?
Essay Topic 3
Write about Alyosha's purpose in the narrative. What role does the author choose for him to play? What effect does his existence have on the narrative? Give at least one example to explain your thinking.
This section contains 1,485 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)