|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What doesn't the inquisitor say is brought to together by the spirit's questions to Jesus?
2. In the Inquisition what are penances?
3. How old is the cardinal?
4. What prompts the woman of the dead child to ask Jesus for help?
5. What character is speaking when the story begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor believe about people's freedom?
2. Why does the crowd get excited when they recognize Jesus?
3. Why were the cardinals, the king and his court, the knights, and the whole population of Seville at the auto de fe?
4. Why does the crowd flock to Jesus?
5. Describe the grand inquisitor's manner of speech to the prisoner.
6. Who is the spirit that talks with Jesus in the wilderness?
7. Why does the inquisitor think the three questions are important?
8. What happened the day before to 100 people declared as heretics?
9. What does the grand inquisitor believe is most important about Jesus' temptation?
10. Why does the priest in the funeral look perplexed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the crowd's behavior change toward Jesus, once the grandinquisitor appears? Identify how the crowd is feeling before Jesus is arrested. Do their feelings change, or just their behavior? What is their opinion of the grand inquisitor?
Essay Topic 2
How do the philosophies of Jesus and the grand inquisitor differ? Compare and contrast the two philosophies.
Essay Topic 3
Why does the grand inquisitor ascribe so much value to the questions of temptation asked Jesus? What is the importance of the questions?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)