|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who isn't traveling with the cardinal?
2. What does the cardinal say earth's thinkers couldn't do?
3. What author's work does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
4. What does the woman of the dead child do when asking Jesus for help?
5. Who is traveling with the cardinal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ivan's manner the first time Alyosha stops to question him.
2. How does Our Lady feel when she sees sinners in the burning lake?
3. Why were the cardinals, the king and his court, the knights, and the whole population of Seville at the auto de fe?
4. What is the "new heresy" Ivan refers to in the "north of Germany?"
5. Why does the inquisitor think the three questions are important?
6. What happened the day before to 100 people declared as heretics?
7. How are the literary examples in Ivan's preface related?
8. Who is the spirit that talks with Jesus in the wilderness?
9. What is the purpose of the spirit's questions to Jesus In the wilderness?
10. Why does Jesus appear at the specific time and place in Spain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to the grand inquisitor, what effect would Jesus providing bread for all have on the world? What reactions would this cause people to have toward him? Why does the grand inquisitor believe Jesus refused this temptation?
Essay Topic 2
Write about Alyosha's purpose in the narrative. What role does the author choose for him to play? What effect does his existence have on the narrative? Give at least one example to explain your thinking.
Essay Topic 3
What is the view on religion and history expressed by Ivan in his literary preface? What historical events does he reference? What religious ideas does he take for granted as he describes the progress of Christian thought? How does he describe this progress?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)