|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the cardinal when he sees the crowd?
2. What part of the scene in front of the cathedral does the cardinal witness?
3. Who does the grand inquisitor say the prisoner talked to in the wilderness?
4. What does the girl do when she comes back to life?
5. According to Ivan, how does God explain his treatment of sinners in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the crowd flock to Jesus?
2. Why does the cardinal come to the prisoner's room alone and in the night?
3. What does the grand inquisitor believe about people's freedom?
4. Who is the spirit that talks with Jesus in the wilderness?
5. Why does God find it hard to spare the sinners in hell despite Our Lady's pleas for mercy?
6. Why does Jesus appear at the specific time and place in Spain?
7. How are the literary examples in Ivan's preface related?
8. Why didn't Jesus use his powers to control man?
9. How does the little girl feel when she comes back to life?
10. Why does the crowd ask to be healed by the stranger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did the author choose to set the story in Seville of the Inquisition as opposed to another time and place? What is significant about this setting? How does the setting come into play in the plot of Ivan's narrative? Where else could he have set the story?
Essay Topic 2
Is the grand inquisitor's motivation to help the prisoner? Does he care about the prisoner or have any sympathy for him? What is his motivation in arresting the prisoner? Why does he come to the prisoner's cell and why does he come secretly at night?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the grand inquisitor say that man is afraid of conscience? How could this conscience be seized? How could it be used by the church if they came to control it as predicted by the grand inquisitor?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)