|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the cardinal think Jesus would hinder his work?
2. What does Ivan tell Alyosha is the chief part of the cardinal's speech?
3. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan NOT reference in his "Literary" Preface?
4. What does the the grand inquisitor tell Jesus his fate will be the next day?
5. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus rejects in the wilderness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor believe about people's freedom?
2. Describe Alyosha's response to Ivan's poem.
3. What does the cardinal do once he is shut in the room with the prisoner?
4. What was the third temptation of Jesus by the spirit in the wilderness?
5. What is the subject of Ivan's Literary Preface?
6. Why does the grand inquisitor think bribing man with bread is useless?
7. Why does the grand inquisitor value the weak?
8. Who does the church follow instead of Jesus?
9. Why does the grand inquisitor accuse Jesus of only caring for the strong?
10. How will the church finish the Tower of Babel that man has built?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about the relationship between the Ivan and Alyosha, do they agree with each other's thinking? Is there love and respect between the brothers?
Essay Topic 2
Why did the author choose to set the story in Seville of the Inquisition as opposed to another time and place? What is significant about this setting? How does the setting come into play in the plot of Ivan's narrative? Where else could he have set the story?
Essay Topic 3
According to the grand inquisitor, what effect would Jesus providing bread for all have on the world? What reactions would this cause people to have toward him? Why does the grand inquisitor believe Jesus refused this temptation?
This section contains 1,480 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)