|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the cardinal wearing different clothes the day before Jesus heals the blind girl?
2. What does the inquisitor add to his stating of the three questions?
3. What does the inquisitor say man can not understand?
4. What part of the scene in front of the cathedral does the cardinal witness?
5. Where does Jesus stop to meet the mother of the dead child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't the grand inquisitor want Jesus to add to his teachings?
2. What does the grand inquisitor believe about people's freedom?
3. Why does Ivan suggest some people's connection in Jesus began to dwindle?
4. Describe the grand inquisitor's attitude to the three questions that tempted Jesus.
5. How does Our Lady feel when she sees sinners in the burning lake?
6. Why does Ivan repeatedly mention Dante in his preface?
7. Why does the inquisitor think the three questions are important?
8. Why does Ivan suggest some people's faith in Jesus become stronger?
9. Who is the spirit that talks with Jesus in the wilderness?
10. Why does Jesus appear at the specific time and place in Spain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Alyosha disbelieve the grand inquisitor's character? What does Alyosha believe about the church? What do Alyosha's reactions to Ivan's story reveal about him? When the brother's part what is Alyosha thinking or feeling?
Essay Topic 2
Does the grand inquisitor believe in the prisoner's guilt or is he arresting him for another reason? What are the reasons the grand inquisitor might arrest a prisoner for? Does the grand inquisitor need to guard his motives for arresting prisoners? Why and how might he guard them?
Essay Topic 3
Write about the relationship between the Ivan and Alyosha, do they agree with each other's thinking? Is there love and respect between the brothers?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)