Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person Jesus helps in the crowd?
2. What does the inquisitor say couldn't be clear at the time of the questions?
3. How does the blind man get Jesus to heal him?
4. How does Jesus help the second person in the crowd?
5. What is the grand inquisitor's manner with Jesus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor believe about people's freedom?
2. What similarity is drawn about Catholics and Masons?
3. What does Alyosha agree about Ivan's story?
4. Why does the clergy deceive the people?
5. Why were the cardinals, the king and his court, the knights, and the whole population of Seville at the auto de fe?
6. What is the "new heresy" Ivan refers to in the "north of Germany?"
7. How does the little girl feel when she comes back to life?
8. Why does God find it hard to spare the sinners in hell despite Our Lady's pleas for mercy?
9. What happened the day before to 100 people declared as heretics?
10. Why does the grand inquisitor value the weak?
Essay Topic 1
Why does the grand inquisitor say that man is afraid of conscience? How could this conscience be seized? How could it be used by the church if they came to control it as predicted by the grand inquisitor?
Essay Topic 2
Pick two literary references from Ivan's literary preface and compare and contrast them. Why did the author include this reference? What is the significance of the reference?
Essay Topic 3
Would the inquisitor be happy or unhappy that Jesus has returned? Take into account the historical setting of the story and the popular viewpoints of the time.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)