|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jesus' appearance deemed a visit?
2. Why does Ivan say the character "Our Lady" falls before the throne of God and beg?
3. Why does the crowd tremble in obedience to the cardinal?
4. Who is the prisoner's visitor?
5. What play was performed in the Hotel de Ville of Paris in the reign of Louis XI in honor of the birth of the dauphin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ivan suggest some people's connection in Jesus began to dwindle?
2. Describe the grand inquisitor's attitude to the three questions that tempted Jesus.
3. Why does Jesus appear at the specific time and place in Spain?
4. How are the literary examples in Ivan's preface related?
5. Why does God find it hard to spare the sinners in hell despite Our Lady's pleas for mercy?
6. Why were the cardinals, the king and his court, the knights, and the whole population of Seville at the auto de fe?
7. What is the purpose of the spirit's questions to Jesus In the wilderness?
8. What does the cardinal do once he is shut in the room with the prisoner?
9. How does the little girl feel when she comes back to life?
10. What is the "new heresy" Ivan refers to in the "north of Germany?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the church in this story deceiving the people? Are they working truly in the people's best interest?
Essay Topic 2
Pick two literary references from Ivan's literary preface and compare and contrast them. Why did the author include this reference? What is the significance of the reference?
Essay Topic 3
Write about the relationship between the Ivan and Alyosha, do they agree with each other's thinking? Is there love and respect between the brothers?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)