|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor say happened to Jesus?
2. Why does the cardinal think Jesus' appearance will harm humanity?
3. What does the prisoner's visitor carry in his hand?
4. What author's work does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
5. In the Inquisition, who controlled penances?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the grand inquisitor's judgment about Jesus' response to the temptation?
2. Why does Ivan repeatedly mention Dante in his preface?
3. Why does the crowd get excited when they recognize Jesus?
4. Why does Ivan suggest some people's connection in Jesus began to dwindle?
5. Why does Jesus appear at the specific time and place in Spain?
6. What is the subject of Ivan's Literary Preface?
7. Why does the priest in the funeral look perplexed?
8. How are the literary examples in Ivan's preface related?
9. How does Our Lady feel when she sees sinners in the burning lake?
10. Who is the spirit that talks with Jesus in the wilderness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based upon his speech in the prison, write about the effects the grand inquisitor believes a reappearance of Jesus would have on 16th century citizens and Christianity.
Essay Topic 2
How do the philosophies of Jesus and the grand inquisitor differ? Compare and contrast the two philosophies.
Essay Topic 3
Why does the crowd's behavior change toward Jesus, once the grandinquisitor appears? Identify how the crowd is feeling before Jesus is arrested. Do their feelings change, or just their behavior? What is their opinion of the grand inquisitor?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)