|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Ivan say religiously themed plays, chiefly from the Old Testament, stopped being performed in Moscow?
2. What is the cardinal's immediate reaction upon witnessing the scene outside the Cathedral?
3. According to Ivan, did Jesus have any physical presence on earth in the 16th Century?
4. What does the prisoner's visitor carry in his hand?
5. What does the inquisitor say couldn't be clear at the time of the questions?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Our Lady feel when she sees sinners in the burning lake?
2. What is the subject of Ivan's Literary Preface?
3. Why does Jesus appear at the specific time and place in Spain?
4. How is Jesus tempted in the story?
5. Describe the grand inquisitor's manner of speech to the prisoner.
6. Why didn't Jesus use his powers to control man?
7. What does the grand inquisitor believe about people's freedom?
8. What does Alyosha think of the old man's behavior?
9. Why does the cardinal come to the prisoner's room alone and in the night?
10. Why were the cardinals, the king and his court, the knights, and the whole population of Seville at the auto de fe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to the grand inquisitor, what effect would Jesus turning stones into bread have on the world? What reactions would this cause people to have toward him? What does the grand inquisitor believe Jesus should have done differently? How does the grand inquisitor explain the church's reaction to Jesus refusal of this temptation?
Essay Topic 2
Write about Alyosha's purpose in the narrative. What role does the author choose for him to play? What effect does his existence have on the narrative? Give at least one example to explain your thinking.
Essay Topic 3
Why does the grand inquisitor let Jesus go after promising to kill him? Why does Jesus kiss the Grand Inquisitor? Is the release of Jesus a result of the kiss? Does the grand inquisitor change his mind at the end of the story or continue to believe as he did.?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)