|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the cardinal''s face look?
2. What does the grand inquisitor think is important about the Jesus' encounter with the spirit?
3. What century does Ivan's Legend take place in?
4. How does the grand inquisitor feel about the questions that Jesus was tempted with?
5. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't the grand inquisitor want Jesus to add to his teachings?
2. Describe Ivan's manner the first time Alyosha stops to question him.
3. Why does Ivan suggest some people's connection in Jesus began to dwindle?
4. How does Our Lady feel when she sees sinners in the burning lake?
5. What does the cardinal do once he is shut in the room with the prisoner?
6. Why does Jesus appear at the specific time and place in Spain?
7. What is the subject of Ivan's Literary Preface?
8. What happened the day before to 100 people declared as heretics?
9. Why does the inquisitor think the three questions are important?
10. Describe the grand inquisitor's manner of speech to the prisoner.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the philosophies of Jesus and the grand inquisitor differ? Compare and contrast the two philosophies.
Essay Topic 2
Pick two literary references from Ivan's literary preface and compare and contrast them. Why did the author include this reference? What is the significance of the reference?
Essay Topic 3
Does the grand inquisitor believe in the prisoner's guilt or is he arresting him for another reason? What are the reasons the grand inquisitor might arrest a prisoner for? Does the grand inquisitor need to guard his motives for arresting prisoners? Why and how might he guard them?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)