|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the inquisitor say couldn't be clear at the time of the questions?
2. Who is traveling with the cardinal?
3. What does the girl do when she comes back to life?
4. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is NOT referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface?
5. How does Jesus help the second person in the crowd?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the subject of Ivan's Literary Preface?
2. Why does Jesus appear at the specific time and place in Spain?
3. Why does the priest in the funeral look perplexed?
4. How does Our Lady feel when she sees sinners in the burning lake?
5. What is the "new heresy" Ivan refers to in the "north of Germany?"
6. What does the grand inquisitor believe is most important about Jesus' temptation?
7. Why were the cardinals, the king and his court, the knights, and the whole population of Seville at the auto de fe?
8. What do the people believe the clergy is doing for them?
9. Why does the cardinal come to the prisoner's room alone and in the night?
10. Why does Ivan repeatedly mention Dante in his preface?
Essay Topic 1
Is the grand inquisitor's motivation to help the prisoner? Does he care about the prisoner or have any sympathy for him? What is his motivation in arresting the prisoner? Why does he come to the prisoner's cell and why does he come secretly at night?
Essay Topic 2
In the Grand Inquisitor, pairs of characters, Ivan and Alyosha, the inquisitor and Jesus, and Jesus and the devil meet separately. Compare and contrast these meetings. Is there a common theme between the pairs of characters or do they serve to contrast each other?
Essay Topic 3
How do the philosophies of Jesus and the grand inquisitor differ? Compare and contrast the two philosophies.
This section contains 1,455 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)