|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ivan, what do the characters Our Lady and God discuss in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
2. What does the grand inquisitor predict will be the crowds reaction to Jesus' punishment?
3. How do the people react to the guards seizing the prisoner from their midst?
4. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface.
5. What does the grand inquisitor think is important about the Jesus' encounter with the spirit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jesus appear at the specific time and place in Spain?
2. How is Jesus tempted in the story?
3. Why does the inquisitor think the three questions are important?
4. Describe Ivan's manner the first time Alyosha stops to question him.
5. Why does Ivan call Jesus' appearance a visit?
6. What is the purpose of the spirit's questions to Jesus In the wilderness?
7. Who is the spirit that talks with Jesus in the wilderness?
8. What does the cardinal do once he is shut in the room with the prisoner?
9. Why doesn't the grand inquisitor want Jesus to add to his teachings?
10. Why didn't Jesus use his powers to control man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Alyosha think about the grand inquisitor's behavior? Why might he be confused about it? What does it mean when he asks if the story is fantasy? Why does Ivan say it doesn't matter if the grand inquisitor had mistaken Jesus' Identity.?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Alyosha disbelieve the grand inquisitor's character? What does Alyosha believe about the church? What do Alyosha's reactions to Ivan's story reveal about him? When the brother's part what is Alyosha thinking or feeling?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the grand inquisitor say that man is afraid of conscience? How could this conscience be seized? How could it be used by the church if they came to control it as predicted by the grand inquisitor?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)