|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the cardinal's immediate reaction upon witnessing the scene outside the Cathedral?
2. What author's work does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
3. Where does Jesus stop to meet the mother of the dead child?
4. What do the people do when they first do when they recognize Jesus?
5. What order does the cardinal give to his guards after witnessing the scene in front of the cathedral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the cardinal do once he is shut in the room with the prisoner?
2. Why doesn't the grand inquisitor want Jesus to add to his teachings?
3. Describe Ivan's manner the first time Alyosha stops to question him.
4. Why didn't Jesus use his powers to control man?
5. Why were the cardinals, the king and his court, the knights, and the whole population of Seville at the auto de fe?
6. Why does Ivan suggest some people's faith in Jesus become stronger?
7. What is the grand inquisitor's judgment about Jesus' response to the temptation?
8. How does the little girl feel when she comes back to life?
9. What happened the day before to 100 people declared as heretics?
10. Why does Ivan suggest some people's connection in Jesus began to dwindle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Alyosha disbelieve the grand inquisitor's character? What does Alyosha believe about the church? What do Alyosha's reactions to Ivan's story reveal about him? When the brother's part what is Alyosha thinking or feeling?
Essay Topic 2
Pick two literary references from Ivan's literary preface and compare and contrast them. Why did the author include this reference? What is the significance of the reference?
Essay Topic 3
Does the grand inquisitor believe in the prisoner's guilt or is he arresting him for another reason? What are the reasons the grand inquisitor might arrest a prisoner for? Does the grand inquisitor need to guard his motives for arresting prisoners? Why and how might he guard them?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)