|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor say the church must do for the people?
(a) Show them the truth.
(b) Seize their conscience.
(c) Teach them about Jesus.
(d) Give them power.
2. Who will finish the new Tower of Babel?
(b) The great scientists and thinkers.
(c) The church.
(d) No one.
3. What does the inquisitor say will eventually happen?
(a) People will reject the church.
(b) People will reject the teachings of Jesus.
(c) Everyone will become free.
(d) Everyone will learn the truth about god.
4. How does the inquisitor equate the clergy and Jesus himself?
(a) They both love the strong.
(b) They are both powerfull.
(c) They both made sacrifices.
(d) They both love the weak.
5. Why does the cardinal think Jesus wouldn't feed the world?
(a) He does not think them worthy.
(b) He did not want to buy their obedience.
(c) He thinks he is selfish.
(d) He thinks the must work for their food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the cardinal say the church does that Jesus doesn't?
2. Who will continue to suffer if the church becomes all powerful?
3. What mystery does Ivan say is guarded?
4. How does the church create a unified body of worship?
5. What does the cardinal say man will do for earthly bread?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the grand inquisitor predict man will feel about his loss of freedom?
2. Why does the grand inquisitor accuse Jesus of only caring for the strong?
3. How is the church giving people their freedom?
4. Why does the grand inquisitor say Jesus refused in the second temptation?
5. Why does the grand inquisitor think bribing man with bread is useless?
6. Describe Alyosha's response to Ivan's poem.
7. What do the people believe the clergy is doing for them?
8. Why does the grand inquisitor say have Jesus followers left him?
9. What similarity is drawn about Catholics and Masons?
10. Why does Jesus kiss the grand inquisitor?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)