|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the grand inquisitor say the church follows?
(b) The teachings of Christ.
(c) The inquisitor himself.
(d) The pope.
2. In the Inquisition, what happens of one disagrees with the church?
(a) They can be punished.
(b) They are accepted anyway.
(c) The church is unconcerened.
(d) They are shown Jesus teachings.
3. Why is there still doubt as to the truth of Jesus' divinity?
(a) Man is naturally sketptical.
(b) He refused to prove it.
(c) The church has destroyed faith.
(d) People are afraid to have faith.
4. What changes in himself does the grand inquisitor confess?
(a) He thought Jesus was wrong.
(b) He used to be an atheist.
(c) He used to want power over all.
(d) He once believed in Jesus' teachings.
5. Why does Alyosha accuse Ivan of being a Mason?
(a) He seems to believe in a mystery behind religion.
(b) He seems greedy for power.
(c) He is against the Inquisition.
(d) He seeks to overthrow the church.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the grand inquisitor, what is the difference about how the church and Jesus implement their philosophy?
2. What does the inquisitor say will happen to the new Tower of Babel?
3. Why does the inquisitor say people must submit to authority?
4. What does Alyosha think the Inquisition's secret aim is?
5. Why does the cardinal think Jesus wouldn't feed the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the grand inquisitor think bribing man with bread is useless?
2. Why does the grand inquisitor think people will follow the church?
3. Describe Alyosha's response to Ivan's poem.
4. What similarity is drawn about Catholics and Masons?
5. Why does the grand inquisitor think men fear freedom?
6. Why does Jesus deserve to be burned at the stake, according to the grand inquisitor?
7. Why does Ivan say Catholics don't like Masons?
8. Who does the church follow instead of Jesus?
9. What is it about the grand inquisitor Alyosha can't believe?
10. Why does the grand inquisitor say have Jesus followers left him?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)