|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the inquisitor say will happen to the new Tower of Babel?
(a) The church will destroy it.
(b) It will crumble.
(c) It won't be finished.
(d) Jesus will finish it.
2. Why will they/he continue to suffer?
(a) They do not want the power they have.
(b) They will know the burden of freedom of thought.
(c) They do not believe in heaven.
(d) They are disturbed by their deception.
3. Why does the inquisitor say people must submit to authority?
(a) Freedom can not exist.
(b) it is wise for them to do so.
(c) To releive them of the burden of freedom.
(d) It is the only way they can find food.
4. How long does the grand inquisitor say it had been since the church followed Jesus' teachings?
(a) Since the 13th century.
(b) 800 years.
(d) Since the death of Caesar.
5. Describe Alyosha's reaction to Ivan's tale.
(a) He questions Ivan's poem as absurd.
(b) He agrees wholeheartedly.
(c) He is bored by the long story.
(d) He wants to know more.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alyosha think the Inquisition's secret aim is?
2. Why does the inquisitor say the people will allow their tower to be finished?
3. What does the inquisitor say people will build?
4. What does Ivan hope to learn upon meeting Alyosha again?
5. According to the grand inquisitor, what is the church's work founded on?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the grand inquisitor, what would have happened if Jesus had changed the stones into bread?
2. How does the grand inquisitor justify lying to people about Jesus and religion?
3. Why does the grand inquisitor think men fear freedom?
4. How is the church giving people their freedom?
5. Who does the church follow instead of Jesus?
6. What similarity is drawn about Catholics and Masons?
7. What does the grand inquisitor think man's rebellious nature will lead to?
8. Why does the grand inquisitor say Jesus refused in the second temptation?
9. Why does the grand inquisitor think people will follow the church?
10. Why does the grand inquisitor say the freedom Jesus gives people is cruel?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)