|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the inquisitor say people won't need Jesus?
(a) They won't want outside help.
(b) They won't need miracles.
(c) They will have become wise.
(d) They will be able to feed themselves.
2. Why do Catholics detest Mason's, according to Ivan?
(a) Masons believe in mystery.
(b) Catholics believe in Jesus.
(c) The masons are too greedy.
(d) They break up the unity of conformity.
3. What is the result of Jesus refusal to take power in the world?
(a) The church needs to take power.
(b) The world has no freedom.
(c) Jesus will be eventually forgotten.
(d) The world is divided according to faith.
4. How is the world divided according to the grand inquisitor?
(a) By class and ethnicity.
(b) Followers of Jesus and followers of the church.
(c) Into those who believe, wonder and disbelieve.
(d) Into the holy and unholy.
5. What did the grand inquisitor believe when he was younger?
(a) In all that Jesus taught.
(b) The church purpose was to control.
(c) That Jesus wasn't real.
(d) That the church was evil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What doesn't Alyosha believe?
2. What does Ivan hope to learn upon meeting Alyosha again?
3. Why does the grand inquisitor think the bribe of bread is ultimately useless?
4. Who does the grand inquisitor say the church follows?
5. What does the cardinal say man will do for earthly bread?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the people believe the clergy is doing for them?
2. Why does the grand inquisitor value the weak?
3. How does the grand inquisitor predict man will feel about his loss of freedom?
4. What was the third temptation of Jesus by the spirit in the wilderness?
5. Why does the grand inquisitor say the clergy will suffer?
6. What was the second temptation put to Jesus?
7. Why does the grand inquisitor say Jesus refused in the second temptation?
8. Why does the grand inquisitor think bribing man with bread is useless?
9. According to the grand inquisitor, what would have happened if Jesus had changed the stones into bread?
10. Why does the grand inquisitor think people will follow the church?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)