|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alyosha think the Inquisition's secret aim is?
(a) Spreading the word of Jesus.
(b) Helping the weak.
(c) Power and control.
(d) Finding the truth.
2. What did the grand inquisitor believe when he was younger?
(a) That Jesus wasn't real.
(b) The church purpose was to control.
(c) That the church was evil.
(d) In all that Jesus taught.
3. Why does the inquisitor say people won't need Jesus?
(a) They won't want outside help.
(b) They will have become wise.
(c) They will be able to feed themselves.
(d) They won't need miracles.
4. What does the grand inquisitor think people need in addition to life?
(a) Someone to love.
(b) Jesus and the church.
(c) Something to live for.
(d) Freedom to make decisions.
5. What does the grand inquisitor say the church must do for the people?
(a) Seize their conscience.
(b) Teach them about Jesus.
(c) Give them power.
(d) Show them the truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Inquisition, what happens of one disagrees with the church?
2. According to the grand inquisitor, How does the church use Jesus to deceive the people?
3. What does Ivan say must exist among the clergy?
4. Why does the inquisitor say people must submit to authority?
5. What does the grand inquisitor say is more powerful than the banner of bread?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the grand inquisitor think bribing man with bread is useless?
2. Why does the grand inquisitor accuse Jesus of only caring for the strong?
3. What was the third temptation of Jesus by the spirit in the wilderness?
4. How does the grand inquisitor justify lying to people about Jesus and religion?
5. Why does the grand inquisitor say Jesus refused in the second temptation?
6. Describe Alyosha's response to Ivan's poem.
7. How is the church giving people their freedom?
8. What is it about the grand inquisitor Alyosha can't believe?
9. Why does the grand inquisitor say the freedom Jesus gives people is cruel?
10. Who does the church follow instead of Jesus?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)