|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who will finish the new Tower of Babel?
(b) No one.
(c) The church.
(d) The great scientists and thinkers.
2. Why does the grand inquisitor think man values more than bread?
(a) Love and happiness.
(d) Someone to worship.
3. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus did to spirituality?
(a) Protected it from the church.
(b) Burdened it with suffering.
(c) Saved it from destruction.
(d) Created it in his actions.
4. Why will they/he continue to suffer?
(a) They will know the burden of freedom of thought.
(b) They do not believe in heaven.
(c) They do not want the power they have.
(d) They are disturbed by their deception.
5. What does the grand inquisitor say is more powerful than the banner of bread?
(a) The church and the Inquistion.
(b) Providing food and shelter.
(c) Possession of the conscience.
(d) Eternal love.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the grand inquisitor think Jesus created conscience?
2. According to the grand inquisitor, How does the church use Jesus to deceive the people?
3. What does the inquisitor predict the church will do when it achieves supreme authority?
4. What does the grand inquisitor think people need in addition to life?
5. What does the grand inquisitor say the church must do for the people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alyosha agree about Ivan's story?
2. Why does the grand inquisitor say have Jesus followers left him?
3. What is it about the grand inquisitor Alyosha can't believe?
4. Why does the grand inquisitor say the clergy will suffer?
5. Why does the grand inquisitor think bribing man with bread is useless?
6. How will the church finish the Tower of Babel that man has built?
7. Why does the grand inquisitor say the freedom Jesus gives people is cruel?
8. What was the second temptation put to Jesus?
9. What do the people believe the clergy is doing for them?
10. What does the grand inquisitor think man's rebellious nature will lead to?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)