|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the cardinal say Jesus responded to the first question from the spirit?
(a) Saying man lives not by bread alone.
(b) Telling the spirt it is wrong.
(c) Ignoring the question.
(d) Calmly answering no.
2. Why did the grand inquisitor change his mind about religion?
(a) He thought people should suffer.
(b) He found all the suffering difficult.
(c) He thought only the weak should suffer.
(d) He thought the strong should sufffer.
3. Who does the grand inquisitor say is blameless?
(a) Those who renounced Jesus.
(b) Jesus for refusing temptation.
(c) The spirit who tempted him.
(d) The church for seizing power.
4. Why does Ivan say the inquisitor suffers?
(a) The church is deceitful.
(b) He thinks Jesus' teachings are incorrect.
(c) He believes in god despite his behavior.
(d) He has no faith in god.
5. What does the cardinal say the church does that Jesus doesn't?
(a) Care for the weak.
(b) Understand freedom.
(c) Forgive sinners.
(d) Show compassion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alyosha accuse the inquisitor of?
2. What is the result of Jesus refusal to take power in the world?
3. Why does the grand inquisitor say men have fought and killed?
4. What is a prediction given by the grand inquisitor about the future of the church?
5. What responsibility does the inquisitor say the has clergy taken on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alyosha agree about Ivan's story?
2. What was the third temptation of Jesus by the spirit in the wilderness?
3. What is it about the grand inquisitor Alyosha can't believe?
4. Why does Jesus kiss the grand inquisitor?
5. Why does the grand inquisitor say have Jesus followers left him?
6. Why does the grand inquisitor accuse Jesus of only caring for the strong?
7. What does the grand inquisitor think man's rebellious nature will lead to?
8. Why does Jesus deserve to be burned at the stake, according to the grand inquisitor?
9. Who does the church follow instead of Jesus?
10. Why does the grand inquisitor say Jesus refused in the second temptation?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)