|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the inquisitor say people will build?
(a) A new cathedral.
(b) A better religion.
(c) A new Tower of Babel.
(d) Food markets for all.
2. What did the grand inquisitor believe when he was younger?
(a) The church purpose was to control.
(b) In all that Jesus taught.
(c) That the church was evil.
(d) That Jesus wasn't real.
3. In the Inquisition, what happens of one disagrees with the church?
(a) They can be punished.
(b) They are shown Jesus teachings.
(c) The church is unconcerened.
(d) They are accepted anyway.
4. How does the grand inquisitor justify people turning their backs?
(a) He says he would have done the same.
(b) He knows they are afraid of freedom.
(c) He points at advances in science.
(d) His says misery increased and Christ was not around.
5. What does Ivan hope to learn upon meeting Alyosha again?
(a) About his experiences.
(b) If he really liked his poem.
(c) About his family.
(d) How his thinking has changed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alyosha think the Inquisition's secret aim is?
2. What does the cardinal think will lead man away from Jesus?
3. What does the grand inquisitor say is beyond the strength of man?
4. What does the grand inquisitor think people need in addition to life?
5. Why does the inquisitor say people must submit to authority?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the grand inquisitor say Jesus refused in the second temptation?
2. Why does the clergy deceive the people?
3. Why does the grand inquisitor say the clergy will suffer?
4. What is it about the grand inquisitor Alyosha can't believe?
5. How does the grand inquisitor predict man will feel about his loss of freedom?
6. What does the grand inquisitor think man's rebellious nature will lead to?
7. How does the grand inquisitor justify lying to people about Jesus and religion?
8. What was the third temptation of Jesus by the spirit in the wilderness?
9. How is the church giving people their freedom?
10. What does Alyosha agree about Ivan's story?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)