|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor say is more powerful than the banner of bread?
(a) The church and the Inquistion.
(b) Possession of the conscience.
(c) Providing food and shelter.
(d) Eternal love.
2. What sanction does the grand inquisitor claim Jesus has given for their behavior?
(a) The right to speak in his name.
(b) Ability to communicate in disguise.
(c) Freedom to accept or reject his teaching.
(d) Eternal forgiveness.
3. Why does the grand inquisitor say that Jesus didn't love people at all?
(a) He enslaved them.
(b) He gave them freedom.
(c) He taught them the truth.
(d) He gave them hope.
4. What does the grand inquisitor say the church has done to Jesus' work?
(a) Corrected his work.
(b) Finished his work.
(c) Helped his work to completion.
(d) Brought his work to the masses.
5. What will the church declare upon finishing the temple?
(a) It is built for truth.
(b) It is done in Jesus' name.
(c) It is for the good of all men.
(d) It should be celebrated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mystery does Ivan say is guarded?
2. Why did the grand inquisitor change his mind about Jesus teachings?
3. How does the cardinal say Jesus responded to the first question from the spirit?
4. What does the grand inquisitor say the church must do for the people?
5. What is the result of Jesus refusal to take power in the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alyosha agree about Ivan's story?
2. What was the second temptation put to Jesus?
3. How will the church finish the Tower of Babel that man has built?
4. Who does the church follow instead of Jesus?
5. How does the grand inquisitor justify lying to people about Jesus and religion?
6. According to the grand inquisitor, what would have happened if Jesus had changed the stones into bread?
7. What similarity is drawn about Catholics and Masons?
8. Why does the grand inquisitor think men fear freedom?
9. What is it about the grand inquisitor Alyosha can't believe?
10. Why does the clergy deceive the people?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)