|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the cardinal say man will do for earthly bread?
(b) Be appeased.
(d) Stop sinning.
2. Why does the inquisitor say people won't need Jesus?
(a) They won't need miracles.
(b) They will be able to feed themselves.
(c) They won't want outside help.
(d) They will have become wise.
3. What does the grand inquisitor think people need in addition to life?
(a) Something to live for.
(b) Someone to love.
(c) Freedom to make decisions.
(d) Jesus and the church.
4. What does the inquisitor accuse Jesus of?
(a) Caring only for the strong.
(b) Thinking sinful thoughts.
(c) Being blind to the truth.
(d) Faking his sympathy.
5. What responsibility does the inquisitor say the has clergy taken on?
(a) Re-interpreting Jesus' work.
(b) Knowing the agony of freedom.
(c) Fixing man's mistakes.
(d) Freeing man's soul.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the cardinal say the people would respect Jesus' power if he fed them?
2. Why did the grand inquisitor change his mind about Jesus teachings?
3. What does Ivan say must exist among the clergy?
4. Describe Alyosha's reaction to Ivan's tale.
5. What does the grand inquisitor say is more powerful than the banner of bread?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the clergy deceive the people?
2. Why does the grand inquisitor say the clergy will suffer?
3. Who does the church follow instead of Jesus?
4. Why does Jesus kiss the grand inquisitor?
5. Why does the grand inquisitor value the weak?
6. Why does the grand inquisitor think people will follow the church?
7. How is the church giving people their freedom?
8. How does the grand inquisitor predict man will feel about his loss of freedom?
9. Why does the grand inquisitor think men fear freedom?
10. Why does the grand inquisitor say have Jesus followers left him?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)