|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the grand inquisitor think the bribe of bread is ultimately useless?
(a) Man can not live on bread alone.
(b) He thinks spritual wealth is more important.
(c) He doesn't beleive people want bread.
(d) Someone could come along and seize the conscience of humanity.
2. Who will continue to suffer if the church becomes all powerful?
(a) Those who believe in truth.
(c) The people of the world.
(d) The clergy.
3. What is the result of Jesus refusal to take power in the world?
(a) The world is divided according to faith.
(b) Jesus will be eventually forgotten.
(c) The church needs to take power.
(d) The world has no freedom.
4. Why does the cardinal say the people would respect Jesus' power if he fed them?
(a) The would respect his kindness.
(b) They would be afraid he would stop.
(c) They would be awed by his ability.
(d) They would appriciate his love.
5. What does Alyosha accuse Ivan of lacking?
(c) Belief in Jesus.
(d) Attention to the truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the cardinal think Jesus wouldn't feed the world?
2. How does the inquisitor equate the clergy and Jesus himself?
3. What will the church believe about their reign of power?
4. What does the grand inquisitor say accompanies faith?
5. Describe Alyosha's reaction to Ivan's tale.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Alyosha's response to Ivan's poem.
2. Why does the grand inquisitor think men fear freedom?
3. Why does the grand inquisitor say the clergy will suffer?
4. Why does the clergy deceive the people?
5. What was the second temptation put to Jesus?
6. How does the grand inquisitor justify lying to people about Jesus and religion?
7. Why does the grand inquisitor accuse Jesus of only caring for the strong?
8. According to the grand inquisitor, what would have happened if Jesus had changed the stones into bread?
9. Who does the church follow instead of Jesus?
10. What does Alyosha agree about Ivan's story?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)