|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor say is beyond the strength of man?
(a) Understanding the engmatic.
(b) Escaping the Inquisition.
(c) Living as one.
(d) Being more powerful than the church.
2. Why does the cardinal think people don't want freedom?
(a) They hate all decisions.
(b) They can't understand it.
(c) They are not smart enough.
(d) It too difficult for them.
3. Who does the grand inquisitor say the church follows?
(a) The pope.
(b) The inquisitor himself.
(c) The teachings of Christ.
4. What is the result of Jesus refusal to take power in the world?
(a) Jesus will be eventually forgotten.
(b) The world has no freedom.
(c) The world is divided according to faith.
(d) The church needs to take power.
5. What responsibility does the inquisitor say the has clergy taken on?
(a) Fixing man's mistakes.
(b) Re-interpreting Jesus' work.
(c) Freeing man's soul.
(d) Knowing the agony of freedom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the grand inquisitor change his mind about religion?
2. In the Inquisition, what happens of one disagrees with the church?
3. Describe Alyosha's reaction to Ivan's tale.
4. To what does the grand inquisitor say man prefers death?
5. According to the grand inquisitor, what role does Jesus reject?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the grand inquisitor say Jesus refused in the second temptation?
2. Who does the church follow instead of Jesus?
3. What does the grand inquisitor think man's rebellious nature will lead to?
4. Why does the grand inquisitor think bribing man with bread is useless?
5. According to the grand inquisitor, what would have happened if Jesus had changed the stones into bread?
6. Why does the grand inquisitor say have Jesus followers left him?
7. What was the second temptation put to Jesus?
8. Why does the grand inquisitor think people will follow the church?
9. How is the church giving people their freedom?
10. How will the church finish the Tower of Babel that man has built?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)