|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What changes in himself does the grand inquisitor confess?
(a) He once believed in Jesus' teachings.
(b) He used to be an atheist.
(c) He used to want power over all.
(d) He thought Jesus was wrong.
2. What does the grand inquisitor think people need in addition to life?
(a) Jesus and the church.
(b) Someone to love.
(c) Freedom to make decisions.
(d) Something to live for.
3. What does the inquisitor say people will build?
(a) Food markets for all.
(b) A new Tower of Babel.
(c) A better religion.
(d) A new cathedral.
4. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus wishes from people?
(a) For them to heal one another.
(b) For them to live as one.
(c) For them to treat each other as equals.
(d) To have them love him on their own.
5. What does Ivan say must exist among the clergy?
(a) Jesus in disguise.
(b) One believer in the church's mission.
(c) A man unlike the inquisitor.
(d) Hope and love.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why must the church determine right and wrong for the people, according to the grand inquisitor?
2. In the Inquisition, what happens of one disagrees with the church?
3. What does the inquisitor say people will destroy?
4. What mystery does Ivan say is guarded?
5. What is the result of Jesus refusal to take power in the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it about the grand inquisitor Alyosha can't believe?
2. Why does the grand inquisitor think bribing man with bread is useless?
3. Why does the grand inquisitor think people will follow the church?
4. How will the church finish the Tower of Babel that man has built?
5. According to the grand inquisitor, what would have happened if Jesus had changed the stones into bread?
6. What does the grand inquisitor add to the first question when he restates it to the prisoner?
7. Why does Jesus deserve to be burned at the stake, according to the grand inquisitor?
8. How is the church giving people their freedom?
9. Why does Ivan say Catholics don't like Masons?
10. What was the second temptation put to Jesus?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)