|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor say the church has done to Jesus' work?
(a) Corrected his work.
(b) Helped his work to completion.
(c) Brought his work to the masses.
(d) Finished his work.
2. Why does the inquisitor say people won't need Jesus?
(a) They will be able to feed themselves.
(b) They will have become wise.
(c) They won't want outside help.
(d) They won't need miracles.
3. What is the second thing Jesus was tempted with?
(a) Proving his power to all.
(b) Seizing power.
(c) Asking for forgiveness.
(d) Healing the world.
4. How does the inquisitor equate the clergy and Jesus himself?
(a) They both made sacrifices.
(b) They both love the strong.
(c) They both love the weak.
(d) They are both powerfull.
5. In the Inquisition, what happens of one disagrees with the church?
(a) They are accepted anyway.
(b) They can be punished.
(c) They are shown Jesus teachings.
(d) The church is unconcerened.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the significance of the Tower of Babel?
2. How does the church create a unified body of worship?
3. Who will continue to suffer if the church becomes all powerful?
4. Why does the cardinal say the people would respect Jesus' power if he fed them?
5. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus did to spirituality?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the grand inquisitor think people will follow the church?
2. Why does the grand inquisitor value the weak?
3. Why does the grand inquisitor say the clergy will suffer?
4. Why does the grand inquisitor say Jesus refused in the second temptation?
5. What does the grand inquisitor think man's rebellious nature will lead to?
6. Describe Alyosha's response to Ivan's poem.
7. According to the grand inquisitor, what would have happened if Jesus had changed the stones into bread?
8. What was the second temptation put to Jesus?
9. What does the grand inquisitor add to the first question when he restates it to the prisoner?
10. How does the grand inquisitor justify lying to people about Jesus and religion?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)