|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is there still doubt as to the truth of Jesus' divinity?
(a) He refused to prove it.
(b) People are afraid to have faith.
(c) The church has destroyed faith.
(d) Man is naturally sketptical.
2. What does the inquisitor say will eventually happen?
(a) Everyone will learn the truth about god.
(b) People will reject the teachings of Jesus.
(c) Everyone will become free.
(d) People will reject the church.
3. Why does the cardinal think that the church will appear to be gods?
(a) They will preach God's word.
(b) They will have be all powerful.
(c) They will free the people from spiritual thought.
(d) They will perform miracles.
4. What is a prediction given by the grand inquisitor about the future of the church?
(a) It will soon crumble.
(b) The will have power over the state.
(c) It will be destroyed by Jesus.
(d) It will last for eternity.
5. Why does the grand inquisitor think the bribe of bread is ultimately useless?
(a) Someone could come along and seize the conscience of humanity.
(b) He doesn't beleive people want bread.
(c) Man can not live on bread alone.
(d) He thinks spritual wealth is more important.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Inquisition, what happens of one disagrees with the church?
2. What doesn't Alyosha believe?
3. Describe Alyosha's reaction to Ivan's tale.
4. Why does the grand inquisitor say men have fought and killed?
5. What does the grand inquisitor say is more powerful than the banner of bread?
Short Essay Questions
1. What similarity is drawn about Catholics and Masons?
2. Why does the grand inquisitor say have Jesus followers left him?
3. What does the grand inquisitor add to the first question when he restates it to the prisoner?
4. How does the grand inquisitor predict man will feel about his loss of freedom?
5. Describe Alyosha's response to Ivan's poem.
6. According to the grand inquisitor, what would have happened if Jesus had changed the stones into bread?
7. Why does Ivan say Catholics don't like Masons?
8. Who does the church follow instead of Jesus?
9. Why does the grand inquisitor say Jesus refused in the second temptation?
10. Why does the grand inquisitor say the freedom Jesus gives people is cruel?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)