|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does the grand inquisitor say man prefers death?
(a) Knowing right and wrong.
(b) Loving all equally.
2. What does Ivan say he wishes for his life?
(a) To live to thirty and then die.
(b) To be and old wise man.
(c) To overthrow the church.
(d) To live forever.
3. Why does the grand inquisitor think the bribe of bread is ultimately useless?
(a) He doesn't beleive people want bread.
(b) He thinks spritual wealth is more important.
(c) Someone could come along and seize the conscience of humanity.
(d) Man can not live on bread alone.
4. What does the grand inquisitor say is more powerful than the banner of bread?
(a) Possession of the conscience.
(b) Eternal love.
(c) Providing food and shelter.
(d) The church and the Inquistion.
5. What doesn't Alyosha believe?
(a) That Ivan means what he says.
(b) That the clergy thinks deception is helpful.
(c) That Ivan's story is orginal.
(d) That The prisoner in the story is Jesus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the grand inquisitor say the church follows?
2. What does Ivan say must exist among the clergy?
3. What does Ivan hope to learn upon meeting Alyosha again?
4. Why must the church determine right and wrong for the people, according to the grand inquisitor?
5. Why does the grand inquisitor say men have fought and killed?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)