|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the grand inquisitor, what is the church's work founded on?
(a) Jesus promise to mankind
(b) Miracle, mystery, and authority.
(c) Fear of punishment
(d) Truth and happiness
2. What does the inquisitor say will happen to the new Tower of Babel?
(a) The church will destroy it.
(b) It will crumble.
(c) Jesus will finish it.
(d) It won't be finished.
3. What does the grand inquisitor say accompanies faith?
4. What does the grand inquisitor say is more powerful than the banner of bread?
(a) Possession of the conscience.
(b) Eternal love.
(c) Providing food and shelter.
(d) The church and the Inquistion.
5. Why does the cardinal think Jesus wouldn't feed the world?
(a) He did not want to buy their obedience.
(b) He thinks he is selfish.
(c) He does not think them worthy.
(d) He thinks the must work for their food.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the grand inquisitor say the church follows?
2. Why does the grand inquisitor say men have fought and killed?
3. Why does the cardinal think people don't want freedom?
4. What will the church believe about their reign of power?
5. How does the grand inquisitor justify people turning their backs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the second temptation put to Jesus?
2. What is it about the grand inquisitor Alyosha can't believe?
3. Why does the grand inquisitor say Jesus refused in the second temptation?
4. Why does the grand inquisitor value the weak?
5. How does the grand inquisitor predict man will feel about his loss of freedom?
6. How is the church giving people their freedom?
7. Why does the grand inquisitor say the freedom Jesus gives people is cruel?
8. What does the grand inquisitor think man's rebellious nature will lead to?
9. What was the third temptation of Jesus by the spirit in the wilderness?
10. Why does Ivan say Catholics don't like Masons?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)