|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the grand inquisitor, what role does Jesus reject?
(a) Provider of food and shelter.
(b) Giver of wisdom.
(c) Aribiter of truth.
(d) Silent wanderer.
2. Why did the grand inquisitor change his mind about religion?
(a) He thought people should suffer.
(b) He found all the suffering difficult.
(c) He thought the strong should sufffer.
(d) He thought only the weak should suffer.
3. Why did the grand inquisitor change his mind about Jesus teachings?
(a) He began to wonder if they were helpful.
(b) He loved freedom of thought.
(c) He wanted more power.
(d) He thought began to think Jesus.
4. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus did to spirituality?
(a) Created it in his actions.
(b) Protected it from the church.
(c) Burdened it with suffering.
(d) Saved it from destruction.
5. What is the result of Jesus refusal to take power in the world?
(a) The church needs to take power.
(b) The world is divided according to faith.
(c) Jesus will be eventually forgotten.
(d) The world has no freedom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why must the church determine right and wrong for the people, according to the grand inquisitor?
2. What does the inquisitor say people will build?
3. Where do the people believe the church is leading them?
4. What does Ivan say must exist among the clergy?
5. How is the world divided according to the grand inquisitor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the grand inquisitor accuse Jesus of only caring for the strong?
2. Why does the grand inquisitor think men fear freedom?
3. What similarity is drawn about Catholics and Masons?
4. Why does Jesus deserve to be burned at the stake, according to the grand inquisitor?
5. What was the third temptation of Jesus by the spirit in the wilderness?
6. How is the church giving people their freedom?
7. How does the grand inquisitor justify lying to people about Jesus and religion?
8. Describe Alyosha's response to Ivan's poem.
9. How does the grand inquisitor predict man will feel about his loss of freedom?
10. Why does the grand inquisitor think bribing man with bread is useless?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)