|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the grand inquisitor, how has the church responded to the questions used to tempt Jesus?
(a) They have denied them as Jesus did.
(b) They have accepted them.
(c) they have considered them philosophically.
(d) the have forgotten there nature.
2. Why does the grand inquisitor say that Jesus didn't love people at all?
(a) He enslaved them.
(b) He taught them the truth.
(c) He gave them hope.
(d) He gave them freedom.
3. How does the church create a unified body of worship?
(a) Forcing its will on leaders and citizens.
(b) Setting examples to be followed.
(c) Using promises made by Jesus.
4. Who does the grand inquisitor say the church follows?
(a) The pope.
(c) The inquisitor himself.
(d) The teachings of Christ.
5. What does the grand inquisitor think people need in addition to life?
(a) Freedom to make decisions.
(b) Something to live for.
(c) Jesus and the church.
(d) Someone to love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the inquisitor say people will destroy?
2. What will the church declare upon finishing the temple?
3. According to the grand inquisitor, How does the church use Jesus to deceive the people?
4. What does the cardinal say man will do for earthly bread?
5. Why must the church determine right and wrong for the people, according to the grand inquisitor?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the grand inquisitor, what would have happened if Jesus had changed the stones into bread?
2. Why does the grand inquisitor think bribing man with bread is useless?
3. Describe Alyosha's response to Ivan's poem.
4. Why does the clergy deceive the people?
5. Why does Jesus deserve to be burned at the stake, according to the grand inquisitor?
6. Why does the grand inquisitor accuse Jesus of only caring for the strong?
7. Why does the grand inquisitor value the weak?
8. Why does the grand inquisitor say Jesus refused in the second temptation?
9. How does the grand inquisitor justify lying to people about Jesus and religion?
10. Why does the grand inquisitor think people will follow the church?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)