|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who will finish the new Tower of Babel?
(a) No one.
(b) The great scientists and thinkers.
(c) The church.
2. What does the Cardinal say would happen if Jesus turned stones into bread?
(a) His love would be understood.
(b) The bread would be refused.
(c) Everyone would be obedient to him.
(d) Everyone would respect him.
3. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus did to spirituality?
(a) Saved it from destruction.
(b) Protected it from the church.
(c) Burdened it with suffering.
(d) Created it in his actions.
4. Why does Ivan say the inquisitor suffers?
(a) He thinks Jesus' teachings are incorrect.
(b) He has no faith in god.
(c) The church is deceitful.
(d) He believes in god despite his behavior.
5. What is the result of Jesus refusal to take power in the world?
(a) The church needs to take power.
(b) The world has no freedom.
(c) The world is divided according to faith.
(d) Jesus will be eventually forgotten.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why will they/he continue to suffer?
2. What does the cardinal say the church does that Jesus doesn't?
3. What is the significance of the Tower of Babel?
4. What does the grand inquisitor say the church must do for the people?
5. Why does the cardinal think that the church will appear to be gods?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the third temptation of Jesus by the spirit in the wilderness?
2. Why does Ivan say Catholics don't like Masons?
3. What does the grand inquisitor add to the first question when he restates it to the prisoner?
4. What was the second temptation put to Jesus?
5. What does the grand inquisitor think man's rebellious nature will lead to?
6. Why does the grand inquisitor say the freedom Jesus gives people is cruel?
7. Why does the grand inquisitor say have Jesus followers left him?
8. How does the grand inquisitor predict man will feel about his loss of freedom?
9. What does Alyosha agree about Ivan's story?
10. How is the church giving people their freedom?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)