|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor say is more powerful than the banner of bread?
(a) Eternal love.
(b) Possession of the conscience.
(c) The church and the Inquistion.
(d) Providing food and shelter.
2. Why must the church determine right and wrong for the people, according to the grand inquisitor?
(a) To enslave them.
(b) To maintain his authority.
(c) To save them from misery.
(d) To protect the the church.
3. What does the grand inquisitor say is beyond the strength of man?
(a) Living as one.
(b) Being more powerful than the church.
(c) Escaping the Inquisition.
(d) Understanding the engmatic.
4. What doesn't Alyosha believe?
(a) That Ivan's story is orginal.
(b) That The prisoner in the story is Jesus.
(c) That the clergy thinks deception is helpful.
(d) That Ivan means what he says.
5. What does the grand inquisitor say the church must do for the people?
(a) Teach them about Jesus.
(b) Give them power.
(c) Show them the truth.
(d) Seize their conscience.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the cardinal say the church does that Jesus doesn't?
2. What is the first question the spirit asks Jesus?
3. Who will finish the new Tower of Babel?
4. Where do the people believe the church is leading them?
5. Why does the inquisitor think people will rise?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the grand inquisitor say have Jesus followers left him?
2. Why does the grand inquisitor think people will follow the church?
3. Why does the grand inquisitor say Jesus refused in the second temptation?
4. How will the church finish the Tower of Babel that man has built?
5. How is the church giving people their freedom?
6. What similarity is drawn about Catholics and Masons?
7. According to the grand inquisitor, what would have happened if Jesus had changed the stones into bread?
8. Why does the grand inquisitor value the weak?
9. What does the grand inquisitor think man's rebellious nature will lead to?
10. What do the people believe the clergy is doing for them?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)