|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the cardinal say the church does that Jesus doesn't?
(a) Show compassion.
(b) Understand freedom.
(c) Care for the weak.
(d) Forgive sinners.
2. How does the cardinal say Jesus responded to the first question from the spirit?
(a) Saying man lives not by bread alone.
(b) Telling the spirt it is wrong.
(c) Ignoring the question.
(d) Calmly answering no.
3. Why does Alyosha accuse Ivan of being a Mason?
(a) He seeks to overthrow the church.
(b) He seems greedy for power.
(c) He seems to believe in a mystery behind religion.
(d) He is against the Inquisition.
4. What does the grand inquisitor say is beyond the strength of man?
(a) Being more powerful than the church.
(b) Understanding the engmatic.
(c) Escaping the Inquisition.
(d) Living as one.
5. What is a prediction given by the grand inquisitor about the future of the church?
(a) It will last for eternity.
(b) It will be destroyed by Jesus.
(c) It will soon crumble.
(d) The will have power over the state.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sanction does the grand inquisitor claim Jesus has given for their behavior?
2. Why does the grand inquisitor say that Jesus didn't love people at all?
3. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus wishes from people?
4. What does the grand inquisitor say the church must do for the people?
5. What motivates the inquisitor besides a desire for power?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the church follow instead of Jesus?
2. Why does the grand inquisitor think bribing man with bread is useless?
3. What do the people believe the clergy is doing for them?
4. Why does the grand inquisitor think people will follow the church?
5. How is the church giving people their freedom?
6. Why does the grand inquisitor accuse Jesus of only caring for the strong?
7. What does the grand inquisitor think man's rebellious nature will lead to?
8. What is it about the grand inquisitor Alyosha can't believe?
9. Why does the grand inquisitor think men fear freedom?
10. Why does the grand inquisitor say Jesus refused in the second temptation?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)