|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the prisoner's visitor?
(a) The woman from the crowd.
(b) The king.
(c) The girl he healed.
(d) The cardinal.
2. What character is speaking when the story begins?
(b) The grand inquisitor.
(c) The narrator.
3. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface.
(b) The devil.
(d) St. Peter.
4. Why is Jesus' appearance deemed a visit?
(a) It is not his final return.
(b) He comes to Spain.
(c) It is not really him.
(d) It is a vacation.
5. What does the grand inquisitor say happened in the wilderness?
(a) The prisoner got lost.
(b) He learned to survive.
(c) There was a mighty storm.
(d) Jesus was tempted.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the prisoner look at the grand inquisitor when he is being accused in his cell?
2. What is the cardinal's immediate reaction upon witnessing the scene outside the Cathedral?
3. Why does Ivan say the character "Our Lady" falls before the throne of God and beg?
4. What was the cardinal doing the day before the prisoner is arrested?
5. What does the inquisitor say couldn't be clear at the time of the questions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ivan suggest some people's connection in Jesus began to dwindle?
2. Describe the grand inquisitor's manner of speech to the prisoner.
3. What does Alyosha think of the old man's behavior?
4. How is Jesus tempted in the story?
5. Why does the inquisitor think the three questions are important?
6. What is the purpose of the spirit's questions to Jesus In the wilderness?
7. Why does the crowd flock to Jesus?
8. What is the "new heresy" Ivan refers to in the "north of Germany?"
9. Why does Ivan repeatedly mention Dante in his preface?
10. How are the literary examples in Ivan's preface related?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)