|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the character mentioned from "Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie," when Ivan references this play?
(a) The Virgin Mary.
(b) The grand inquisitor.
(d) The devil.
2. What does the woman of the dead child do when asking Jesus for help?
(a) Kneels gently down.
(b) Throws himself at his feet.
(c) Gently looks at him.
(d) Puts her hands to her heart.
3. What is the cardinal wearing when he witnesses the crowd?
(a) Uniform of the "holy guard."
(b) Gorgeous cardinal's robes.
(c) An old monk's cassock.
(d) A funeral suit.
4. Why does the grand inquisitor ask the prisoner to imagine the questions were forgotten?
(a) So he could invent better ones.
(b) So he could imagine their recreation.
(c) So he would eventually forget them.
(d) So he could accept new ones.
5. What does the grand inquisitor say happened in the wilderness?
(a) Jesus was tempted.
(b) The prisoner got lost.
(c) He learned to survive.
(d) There was a mighty storm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What breaks Ivan's Narrative?
2. Why does the cardinal think Jesus' appearance will harm humanity?
3. What is a "Literary Preface," in the case of this story?
4. How does Ivan feel about the part in his poem where the prisoner first appears?
5. Besides in the works specifically mentioned, where does Ivan say that Christian religious figures appear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the subject of Ivan's Literary Preface?
2. Why does Ivan call Jesus' appearance a visit?
3. Who is the spirit that talks with Jesus in the wilderness?
4. What does the grand inquisitor believe is most important about Jesus' temptation?
5. Why does Ivan suggest some people's connection in Jesus began to dwindle?
6. What is the purpose of the spirit's questions to Jesus In the wilderness?
7. Why does the cardinal come to the prisoner's room alone and in the night?
8. What is the "new heresy" Ivan refers to in the "north of Germany?"
9. Why does the crowd get excited when they recognize Jesus?
10. Why does the inquisitor think the three questions are important?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)