|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prompts the woman of the dead child to ask Jesus for help?
(a) She doesn't ask.
(b) She sees him from afar.
(c) The priest tells her to.
(d) The crowd tells her to.
2. Why does Ivan say that Jesus appears in his tale?
(a) To stop the Inquisition.
(b) Jesus is returning as he promised.
(c) To appear for a moment as the people sunk in iniquity.
(d) His tale takes place at "the end of time."
3. According to Ivan, how does God explain his treatment of sinners in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
(a) He asks how it would be possible to forgive his son's tormentors.
(b) He asks what she would do if she were him.
(c) He says sinners are evil and deserve punishment.
(d) He explains how punishment teachers people to do good.
4. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface.
(a) St. Peter.
(b) The devil.
5. Who does Ivan NOT say was present at the auto de fe the day before?
(a) The pope.
(b) The king.
(c) The knights.
(d) The cardinals.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is traveling with the cardinal?
2. How does Ivan describe the night in Seville?
3. Why does the cardinal think Jesus' appearance will harm humanity?
4. Why does Ivan say the character "Our Lady" falls before the throne of God and beg?
5. Who is the character mentioned from "Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie," when Ivan references this play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What similarity is drawn about Catholics and Masons?
2. How does the grand inquisitor predict man will feel about his loss of freedom?
3. How does the little girl feel when she comes back to life?
4. What is it about the grand inquisitor Alyosha can't believe?
5. Why does the grand inquisitor think bribing man with bread is useless?
6. Why does God find it hard to spare the sinners in hell despite Our Lady's pleas for mercy?
7. What does the grand inquisitor think man's rebellious nature will lead to?
8. Who is the spirit that talks with Jesus in the wilderness?
9. Why does the grand inquisitor say Jesus refused in the second temptation?
10. Why does Ivan suggest some people's connection in Jesus began to dwindle?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)