|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ivan say that Jesus appears in his tale?
(a) To stop the Inquisition.
(b) Jesus is returning as he promised.
(c) His tale takes place at "the end of time."
(d) To appear for a moment as the people sunk in iniquity.
2. What order does the cardinal give to his guards after witnessing the scene in front of the cathedral?
(a) To protect him.
(b) To order the crowd to be silent.
(c) To arrest a man.
(d) To disperse the crowd.
3. What is a "Literary Preface," in the case of this story?
(a) A well-written introduction.
(b) A preface explaining what literature is.
(c) A introduction explaining why the subsequent story is literature.
(d) An introduction referencing stories with similar aspects.
4. How does the cardinal think the prisoner would hinder his work?
(a) Stopping the inquisition.
(b) Runing for office.
(c) Adding more judges and courts.
(d) Starting a separate inquisition.
5. According to Ivan, did Jesus have any physical presence on earth in the 16th Century?
(a) Yes, but only in his story of The Grand Inquistor.
(b) No, just in the hearts and mind of beleivers.
(c) Yes, he visited holy men as recorded in their writing.
(d) Yes, but only as a character in literary fiction.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ivan say the character "Our Lady" falls before the throne of God and beg?
2. Why is Jesus' appearance deemed a visit?
3. Who isn't traveling with the cardinal?
4. What does the prisoner's visitor carry in his hand?
5. How does the crowd respond to the prisoner's arrest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the grand inquisitor think bribing man with bread is useless?
2. How is Jesus tempted in the story?
3. Why does the grand inquisitor think men fear freedom?
4. Why does Ivan repeatedly mention Dante in his preface?
5. Describe Alyosha's response to Ivan's poem.
6. Why does the crowd ask to be healed by the stranger?
7. Why didn't Jesus use his powers to control man?
8. What does Alyosha think of the old man's behavior?
9. Why does the grand inquisitor say Jesus refused in the second temptation?
10. Why does the grand inquisitor think people will follow the church?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)