|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What character is speaking when the story begins?
(b) The grand inquisitor.
(c) The narrator.
2. When does Ivan say religiously themed plays, chiefly from the Old Testament, stopped being performed in Moscow?
(a) At the start of the Spanish Inquisition.
(b) Upon the return of Jesus.
(c) Before the time of Peter the Great.
(d) At the start of WWII.
3. What does Ivan mean when he says, "It was customary in poetry to bring down heavenly powers on earth"?
(a) Poetry makes supernatural power commonplace.
(b) It is common to use religious figures as characters in poetry.
(c) Writing poems is normal for those with "heavenly powers."
(d) Poetry gives heavenly powers to all listeners.
4. How does the blind man get Jesus to heal him?
(a) Jesus presses is hand to his eyes.
(b) He asks Jesus.
(c) He grabs Jesus hand.
(d) He touches Jesus clothes.
5. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus rejects in the wilderness?
(a) The teachings of the church.
(b) Sin in man.
(c) His temptation by a spirt.
(d) The inquistion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What order does the cardinal give to his guards after witnessing the scene in front of the cathedral?
2. What is like "lightning flashing from east to west"?
3. Who isn't present in the girl's funeral?
4. What does the grand inquisitor say happened to Jesus?
5. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the grand inquisitor's manner of speech to the prisoner.
2. Why does Ivan repeatedly mention Dante in his preface?
3. What does Alyosha think of the old man's behavior?
4. Why does Ivan call Jesus' appearance a visit?
5. How does the little girl feel when she comes back to life?
6. What is the subject of Ivan's Literary Preface?
7. What is the "new heresy" Ivan refers to in the "north of Germany?"
8. How is Jesus tempted in the story?
9. What does the grand inquisitor believe about people's freedom?
10. Why does God find it hard to spare the sinners in hell despite Our Lady's pleas for mercy?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)