|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is traveling with the cardinal?
(a) His assistants.
(b) Two princes.
(c) The king.
(d) The bishops.
2. What do the people do when they first do when they recognize Jesus?
(a) Crowd around him.
(b) Run away.
(c) Ask him to heal them.
(d) Fall at his feet.
3. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is NOT referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface?
(a) Our Lady.
(c) The Devil.
(d) The Archangel Michael.
4. Who is Ivan talking about when he says, "He comes on the scene in my poem, but He says nothing, only appears and passes on"?
(c) Archangel Michael.
5. Why does Ivan say the character "Our Lady" falls before the throne of God and beg?
(a) She thinks denial of heaven sufficent punishment.
(b) She believes in forgiveness for all.
(c) She is shocked at what she sees in hell.
(d) She wants to save her friends in hell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What doesn't the inquisitor say is brought to together by the spirit's questions to Jesus?
2. What does the prisoner's visitor carry in his hand?
3. What doesn't the crowd do when they see Jesus perform two miracles?
4. What is the "auto de fe"?
5. What does Alyosha ask Ivan about his story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Jesus use his powers to control man?
2. Why does God find it hard to spare the sinners in hell despite Our Lady's pleas for mercy?
3. What does Alyosha think of the old man's behavior?
4. Why does Ivan call Jesus' appearance a visit?
5. Why does the crowd get excited when they recognize Jesus?
6. What happened the day before to 100 people declared as heretics?
7. What does the grand inquisitor believe about people's freedom?
8. Describe Ivan's manner the first time Alyosha stops to question him.
9. Why does Ivan repeatedly mention Dante in his preface?
10. Describe the grand inquisitor's attitude to the three questions that tempted Jesus.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)