|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were the "fires lighted" in the Inquisition?
(a) To cook feasts given in honor of God.
(b) To provide light every night for the proceedings.
(c) To warm the court rooms.
(d) To burn condemned people alive.
2. What does the grand inquisitor think is important about the Jesus' encounter with the spirit?
(a) Jesus' response.
(b) The three questions.
(c) The spirit's reaction.
(d) The energy created by it.
3. What character is speaking when the story begins?
(b) The grand inquisitor.
(d) The narrator.
4. How does Ivan describe the prison?
5. Who isn't present in the girl's funeral?
(a) The girl's sister.
(b) The crowd.
(c) The priest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is like "lightning flashing from east to west"?
2. What order does the cardinal give to his guards after witnessing the scene in front of the cathedral?
3. What does the inquisitor add to his stating of the three questions?
4. Why does Ivan say that Jesus appears in his tale?
5. Where is the prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the spirit that talks with Jesus in the wilderness?
2. Why does Ivan suggest some people's connection in Jesus began to dwindle?
3. How does Our Lady feel when she sees sinners in the burning lake?
4. Why does God find it hard to spare the sinners in hell despite Our Lady's pleas for mercy?
5. Why does Ivan call Jesus' appearance a visit?
6. What is the purpose of the spirit's questions to Jesus In the wilderness?
7. What is the "new heresy" Ivan refers to in the "north of Germany?"
8. What happened the day before to 100 people declared as heretics?
9. Why didn't Jesus use his powers to control man?
10. What does the grand inquisitor believe is most important about Jesus' temptation?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)