|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the prisoner's visitor carry in his hand?
(a) A light.
(c) A Bible.
2. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(c) John the Baptist.
(d) The archangel Michael.
3. Who isn't present in the girl's funeral?
(b) The girl's sister.
(c) The crowd.
(d) The priest.
4. Before he is arrested in the story, what doesn't Jesus do?
(a) Heal a blind man.
(b) Preach a sermon.
(c) Heal a child.
(d) Appear in Seville.
5. What doesn't the inquisitor say is brought to together by the spirit's questions to Jesus?
(a) The history of mankind afterward.
(b) Fact and imagination.
(c) Contradictions of human nature.
(d) The people's philosophy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the girl do when she comes back to life?
2. What is the cardinal wearing when he witnesses the crowd?
3. Who is the prisoner's visitor?
4. Why does Ivan say the character "Our Lady" falls before the throne of God and beg?
5. Where is the cardinal when he sees the crowd?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the cardinal come to the prisoner's room alone and in the night?
2. Why does the priest in the funeral look perplexed?
3. What does the grand inquisitor believe is most important about Jesus' temptation?
4. How are the literary examples in Ivan's preface related?
5. How does Our Lady feel when she sees sinners in the burning lake?
6. How does the little girl feel when she comes back to life?
7. Who is the spirit that talks with Jesus in the wilderness?
8. Why does God find it hard to spare the sinners in hell despite Our Lady's pleas for mercy?
9. Why does the crowd flock to Jesus?
10. What happened the day before to 100 people declared as heretics?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)