|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan NOT reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(b) Virgin Mary.
(c) The Archangel Michael.
2. What does the inquisitor ask the prisoner to judge?
(a) If the inquisitor was right to judge him.
(b) If the cardinal had sinned.
(c) The cardinal's holliness.
(d) If the spirit who questioned him was right.
3. What author's work does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(b) Peter the Great.
(d) Victor Hugo.
4. What is like "lightning flashing from east to west"?
(a) The return of Jesus.
(b) The wrath of God.
(c) Jesus' eyes.
(d) The end of time.
5. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is NOT referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface?
(a) Our Lady.
(b) The Archangel Michael.
(c) The Devil.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the character mentioned from "Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie," when Ivan references this play?
2. In the Inquisition what are penances?
3. Why doesn't the the grand inquisitor want Jesus to add to his teachings?
4. Who is Ivan talking about when he says, "He comes on the scene in my poem, but He says nothing, only appears and passes on"?
5. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus rejects in the wilderness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ivan suggest some people's connection in Jesus began to dwindle?
2. Why does Ivan suggest some people's faith in Jesus become stronger?
3. What is the purpose of the spirit's questions to Jesus In the wilderness?
4. Why didn't Jesus use his powers to control man?
5. How is Jesus tempted in the story?
6. Why does the cardinal come to the prisoner's room alone and in the night?
7. Why does God find it hard to spare the sinners in hell despite Our Lady's pleas for mercy?
8. Why does the inquisitor think the three questions are important?
9. What does Alyosha think of the old man's behavior?
10. Why does Ivan repeatedly mention Dante in his preface?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)