|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the cardinal doing the day before the prisoner is arrested?
(a) Presiding over the auto de fe.
(b) On a holiday.
(c) Researching scripture.
(d) Training bishops for service.
2. Who isn't present in the girl's funeral?
(a) The crowd.
(c) The girl's sister.
(d) The priest.
3. What does the grand inquisitor predict will be the crowds reaction to Jesus' punishment?
(a) They will be indifferent.
(b) The will help burn him.
(c) They will protest it.
(d) The will reluctantly accept it.
4. What does the woman of the dead child do when asking Jesus for help?
(a) Kneels gently down.
(b) Puts her hands to her heart.
(c) Gently looks at him.
(d) Throws himself at his feet.
5. How does the crowd respond to the prisoner's arrest?
(a) They bow down to the cardinal.
(b) They cheer the cardinal.
(c) The try to free him.
(d) The protest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the cardinal say earth's thinkers couldn't do?
2. What play was performed in the Hotel de Ville of Paris in the reign of Louis XI in honor of the birth of the dauphin?
3. What is hiding the dead girl?
4. What does Ivan tell Alyosha is the chief part of the cardinal's speech?
5. Who is the prisoner's visitor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the spirit's questions to Jesus In the wilderness?
2. Why does Jesus appear at the specific time and place in Spain?
3. Why does God find it hard to spare the sinners in hell despite Our Lady's pleas for mercy?
4. Why does Ivan suggest some people's faith in Jesus become stronger?
5. What is the grand inquisitor's judgment about Jesus' response to the temptation?
6. Why does the crowd flock to Jesus?
7. How is Jesus tempted in the story?
8. Describe the grand inquisitor's manner of speech to the prisoner.
9. What does the cardinal do once he is shut in the room with the prisoner?
10. How does Our Lady feel when she sees sinners in the burning lake?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)