|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the grand inquisitor feel about the questions that Jesus was tempted with?
(a) He thinks he has better ones.
(b) He thinks they are too hard.
(c) He thinks they are wise.
(d) He is confused by them.
2. What was the cardinal doing the day before the prisoner is arrested?
(a) On a holiday.
(b) Researching scripture.
(c) Presiding over the auto de fe.
(d) Training bishops for service.
3. Why doesn't the the grand inquisitor want Jesus to add to his teachings?
(a) He thinks his old teachings are perfect.
(b) It would undermine the church's authority.
(c) He doesn't believe in Jesus.
(d) Jesus teachings are not true.
4. How does Ivan describe the prison?
5. How does the cardinal think Jesus would hinder his work?
(a) Trying to get him fired.
(b) Protesting for religous freedom.
(c) Focusing religious attention on himself.
(d) Asking him too many questions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the prisoner do to be recognized by the people?
2. What does the girl do when she comes back to life?
3. What does the grand inquisitor think is important about the Jesus' encounter with the spirit?
4. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan NOT reference in his "Literary" Preface?
5. Who in the crowd does Jesus Heal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor believe is most important about Jesus' temptation?
2. How does Our Lady feel when she sees sinners in the burning lake?
3. Why didn't Jesus use his powers to control man?
4. Why does the cardinal come to the prisoner's room alone and in the night?
5. Describe Ivan's manner the first time Alyosha stops to question him.
6. Why does Ivan repeatedly mention Dante in his preface?
7. What is the "new heresy" Ivan refers to in the "north of Germany?"
8. Why does the priest in the funeral look perplexed?
9. What does Alyosha think of the old man's behavior?
10. Why does God find it hard to spare the sinners in hell despite Our Lady's pleas for mercy?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)