|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is traveling with the cardinal?
(a) The king.
(b) Two princes.
(c) The bishops.
(d) His assistants.
2. Why is Jesus' appearance deemed a visit?
(a) He comes to Spain.
(b) It is not his final return.
(c) It is not really him.
(d) It is a vacation.
3. Why does the crowd tremble in obedience to the cardinal?
(a) He tells the guards to arrest them.
(b) They know he is powerful.
(c) They hope he will reward them.
(d) He orders them on their knees.
4. Why does Ivan say that Jesus appears in his tale?
(a) His tale takes place at "the end of time."
(b) Jesus is returning as he promised.
(c) To stop the Inquisition.
(d) To appear for a moment as the people sunk in iniquity.
5. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is NOT referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface?
(b) Our Lady.
(c) The Devil.
(d) The Archangel Michael.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface.
2. What author's work doesn't Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
3. How does the cardinal think the prisoner would hinder his work?
4. What does the grand inquisitor think is important about the Jesus' encounter with the spirit?
5. What does the inquisitor say couldn't be clear at the time of the questions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the subject of Ivan's Literary Preface?
2. Describe the grand inquisitor's attitude to the three questions that tempted Jesus.
3. How does the little girl feel when she comes back to life?
4. What is the grand inquisitor's judgment about Jesus' response to the temptation?
5. Why were the cardinals, the king and his court, the knights, and the whole population of Seville at the auto de fe?
6. What does the grand inquisitor believe about people's freedom?
7. Who is the spirit that talks with Jesus in the wilderness?
8. Why does Ivan call Jesus' appearance a visit?
9. What does the cardinal do once he is shut in the room with the prisoner?
10. Why does the cardinal come to the prisoner's room alone and in the night?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)