|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the cardinal think Jesus' appearance will harm humanity?
(a) Anything Jesus does will be seen as a miracle, and will rob people of their ability to choose to follow him.
(b) Healing people delays their journey to heaven.
(c) Jesus will punish the sinners.
(d) Jesus' teachings are not true.
2. What does Ivan mean when he says, "fifteen centuries since man has ceased to see signs from heaven"?
(a) The church has lost proof that Jesus existed.
(b) Man is no longer in touch with spirituality.
(c) It has been 15 centuries since Jesus walked the earth.
(d) Miracles can no longer occur.
3. How does Jesus help the second person in the crowd?
(a) He helps a man escape torture.
(b) He brings a girl back to life.
(c) He allows a blind man to see.
(d) He forgives a woman's sins.
4. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is NOT referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface?
(a) Our Lady.
(b) The Devil.
(c) The Archangel Michael.
5. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus rejects in the wilderness?
(a) The teachings of the church.
(b) The inquistion.
(c) Sin in man.
(d) His temptation by a spirt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the prison?
2. What was the cardinal doing the day before the prisoner is arrested?
3. What does the the grand inquisitor tell Jesus his fate will be the next day?
4. What doesn't the crowd do when they see Jesus perform two miracles?
5. Besides in the works specifically mentioned, where does Ivan say that Christian religious figures appear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the spirit's questions to Jesus In the wilderness?
2. Why does Ivan say Catholics don't like Masons?
3. Why does God find it hard to spare the sinners in hell despite Our Lady's pleas for mercy?
4. Why does the grand inquisitor say the clergy will suffer?
5. Why does Jesus deserve to be burned at the stake, according to the grand inquisitor?
6. Why does the grand inquisitor think bribing man with bread is useless?
7. Why does the inquisitor think the three questions are important?
8. Describe Ivan's manner the first time Alyosha stops to question him.
9. What is it about the grand inquisitor Alyosha can't believe?
10. Why does Ivan call Jesus' appearance a visit?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)