|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the grand inquisitor's manner with Jesus?
2. How does the cardinal''s face look?
(d) Calm but judicious
3. How does the prisoner look at the grand inquisitor when he is being accused in his cell?
4. What does the prisoner's visitor carry in his hand?
(a) A light.
(d) A Bible.
5. How does Jesus help the second person in the crowd?
(a) He forgives a woman's sins.
(b) He brings a girl back to life.
(c) He allows a blind man to see.
(d) He helps a man escape torture.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan tell Alyosha is the chief part of the cardinal's speech?
2. What city does Ivan's story about the Grand Inquisitor take place in?
3. What does Alyosha ask Ivan about his story?
4. When the people are silent before him what does the cardinal do?
5. What does the inquisitor add to his stating of the three questions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the subject of Ivan's Literary Preface?
2. Why does Ivan suggest some people's faith in Jesus become stronger?
3. Why does the inquisitor think the three questions are important?
4. Why were the cardinals, the king and his court, the knights, and the whole population of Seville at the auto de fe?
5. Why does the priest in the funeral look perplexed?
6. What does the grand inquisitor believe is most important about Jesus' temptation?
7. Why didn't Jesus use his powers to control man?
8. How does the little girl feel when she comes back to life?
9. How is Jesus tempted in the story?
10. Why does Jesus appear at the specific time and place in Spain?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)