|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before he is arrested in the story, what doesn't Jesus do?
(a) Preach a sermon.
(b) Heal a blind man.
(c) Heal a child.
(d) Appear in Seville.
2. What does the cardinal do when he repeats the spirit's questions?
(a) He poses it to the prisoner.
(b) He quotes the bible.
(c) He makes a joke of it.
(d) He puts it into he own words.
3. Where is the prison?
(a) In the basement of the catherdral.
(b) In the palace.
(c) Outside of town.
(d) Near the market.
4. Why does Ivan say that Jesus appears in his tale?
(a) Jesus is returning as he promised.
(b) To stop the Inquisition.
(c) His tale takes place at "the end of time."
(d) To appear for a moment as the people sunk in iniquity.
5. According to Ivan, how does God explain his treatment of sinners in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
(a) He explains how punishment teachers people to do good.
(b) He says sinners are evil and deserve punishment.
(c) He asks what she would do if she were him.
(d) He asks how it would be possible to forgive his son's tormentors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who isn't present in the girl's funeral?
2. How does the cardinal think Jesus would hinder his work?
3. What does Ivan mean when he says, "fifteen centuries since man has ceased to see signs from heaven"?
4. Where is the cardinal when he sees the crowd?
5. How does the cardinal''s face look?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "new heresy" Ivan refers to in the "north of Germany?"
2. What is the purpose of the spirit's questions to Jesus In the wilderness?
3. What does the grand inquisitor believe about people's freedom?
4. What is the grand inquisitor's judgment about Jesus' response to the temptation?
5. Why does Jesus appear at the specific time and place in Spain?
6. Why does the crowd get excited when they recognize Jesus?
7. Describe Ivan's manner the first time Alyosha stops to question him.
8. Why didn't Jesus use his powers to control man?
9. What is the subject of Ivan's Literary Preface?
10. Why does God find it hard to spare the sinners in hell despite Our Lady's pleas for mercy?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)