|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor say happened in the wilderness?
(a) Jesus was tempted.
(b) The prisoner got lost.
(c) He learned to survive.
(d) There was a mighty storm.
2. What do the people do when they first do when they recognize Jesus?
(a) Ask him to heal them.
(b) Crowd around him.
(c) Run away.
(d) Fall at his feet.
3. What does the cardinal say earth's thinkers couldn't do?
(a) Dicipher the true meaning of Jesus' temptation.
(b) Equal the force of the spirit's questions.
(c) Understand Jesus' true teaching.
(d) Understand the three questions.
4. What character is speaking when the story begins?
(a) The narrator.
(c) The grand inquisitor.
5. What does Ivan mean when he says, "It was customary in poetry to bring down heavenly powers on earth"?
(a) Writing poems is normal for those with "heavenly powers."
(b) Poetry gives heavenly powers to all listeners.
(c) It is common to use religious figures as characters in poetry.
(d) Poetry makes supernatural power commonplace.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the cardinal think the prisoner would hinder his work?
2. According to Ivan, did Jesus have any physical presence on earth in the 16th Century?
3. What is hiding the dead girl?
4. How does the cardinal think Jesus would hinder his work?
5. Who does Ivan NOT say was present at the auto de fe the day before?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "new heresy" Ivan refers to in the "north of Germany?"
2. Why were the cardinals, the king and his court, the knights, and the whole population of Seville at the auto de fe?
3. Why does the cardinal come to the prisoner's room alone and in the night?
4. Describe the grand inquisitor's attitude to the three questions that tempted Jesus.
5. Why doesn't the grand inquisitor want Jesus to add to his teachings?
6. Why does the crowd flock to Jesus?
7. Why does Ivan call Jesus' appearance a visit?
8. What does the grand inquisitor believe about people's freedom?
9. Who is the spirit that talks with Jesus in the wilderness?
10. Describe the grand inquisitor's manner of speech to the prisoner.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)