|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the grand inquisitor feel about the questions that Jesus was tempted with?
(a) He thinks he has better ones.
(b) He is confused by them.
(c) He thinks they are too hard.
(d) He thinks they are wise.
2. What does the crowd do after they see Jesus perform healing?
(a) Elect him Grand Inquisitor.
(b) Write down his words.
(c) Shout, "it is He."
(d) Ask him for freedom.
3. What is the "auto de fe"?
(a) A famous battle.
(b) A church holliday.
(c) Public ceremony of punishment.
(d) The return of Jesus.
4. Besides in the works specifically mentioned, where does Ivan say that Christian religious figures appear?
(a) Alyosha's Dreams.
(b) Scattered legends.
(d) Star Constellations.
5. What does Ivan mean when he says, "fifteen centuries since man has ceased to see signs from heaven"?
(a) Man is no longer in touch with spirituality.
(b) The church has lost proof that Jesus existed.
(c) Miracles can no longer occur.
(d) It has been 15 centuries since Jesus walked the earth.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ivan, what do the characters Our Lady and God discuss in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
2. How do the people react to the guards seizing the prisoner from their midst?
3. Where is the prison?
4. Who is the character mentioned from "Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie," when Ivan references this play?
5. What author's work doesn't Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor believe is most important about Jesus' temptation?
2. What does the cardinal do once he is shut in the room with the prisoner?
3. Why does Ivan suggest some people's connection in Jesus began to dwindle?
4. Why does the crowd flock to Jesus?
5. Why does Jesus appear at the specific time and place in Spain?
6. How is Jesus tempted in the story?
7. Why does the crowd ask to be healed by the stranger?
8. What is the "new heresy" Ivan refers to in the "north of Germany?"
9. Why doesn't the grand inquisitor want Jesus to add to his teachings?
10. How does Our Lady feel when she sees sinners in the burning lake?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)