|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the cardinal wearing when he witnesses the crowd?
(a) An old monk's cassock.
(b) Gorgeous cardinal's robes.
(c) A funeral suit.
(d) Uniform of the "holy guard."
2. When the people are silent before him what does the cardinal do?
(a) Bless them.
(b) Explain his actions.
(c) Preach a sermon.
(d) Demand their obedience.
3. What order does the cardinal give to his guards after witnessing the scene in front of the cathedral?
(a) To order the crowd to be silent.
(b) To protect him.
(c) To arrest a man.
(d) To disperse the crowd.
4. Before he is arrested in the story, what doesn't Jesus do?
(a) Heal a blind man.
(b) Preach a sermon.
(c) Appear in Seville.
(d) Heal a child.
5. Where do the guards take the prisoner?
(a) To the cardinal's chamber.
(b) To the cathedral.
(c) To the prison.
(d) To a secret location outside of town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the inquisitor say couldn't be clear at the time of the questions?
2. What is the "auto de fe"?
3. What does the grand inquisitor think is important about the Jesus' encounter with the spirit?
4. What does the inquisitor add to his stating of the three questions?
5. How does the grand inquisitor feel about the questions that Jesus was tempted with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the spirit's questions to Jesus In the wilderness?
2. What is the "new heresy" Ivan refers to in the "north of Germany?"
3. Why does Ivan call Jesus' appearance a visit?
4. Why does the crowd get excited when they recognize Jesus?
5. Why does God find it hard to spare the sinners in hell despite Our Lady's pleas for mercy?
6. How does the little girl feel when she comes back to life?
7. Describe the grand inquisitor's manner of speech to the prisoner.
8. Who is the spirit that talks with Jesus in the wilderness?
9. Why were the cardinals, the king and his court, the knights, and the whole population of Seville at the auto de fe?
10. Why does the crowd ask to be healed by the stranger?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)