|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(b) John the Baptist.
(c) The archangel Michael.
2. How does the cardinal think Jesus would hinder his work?
(a) Protesting for religous freedom.
(b) Focusing religious attention on himself.
(c) Trying to get him fired.
(d) Asking him too many questions.
3. What play was performed in the Hotel de Ville of Paris in the reign of Louis XI in honor of the birth of the dauphin?
(a) Les Misérables.
(b) Divine Comedy.
(c) The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell.
(d) Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie.
4. What is the first thing the visitor does when entering the prisoner's cell?
(a) Introduces himself.
(b) Walks toward him.
(c) Asks him his identity.
(d) Gazes at him for a long time.
5. What does the inquisitor say couldn't be clear at the time of the questions?
(a) Their prophetic nature.
(b) Their truth.
(c) Their importance.
(d) How they would be answered.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the grand inquisitor ask the prisoner to imagine the questions were forgotten?
2. When the people are silent before him what does the cardinal do?
3. Where is the cardinal when he sees the crowd?
4. Why doesn't the the grand inquisitor want Jesus to add to his teachings?
5. What is the cardinal's immediate reaction upon witnessing the scene outside the Cathedral?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Jesus use his powers to control man?
2. Why does the crowd flock to Jesus?
3. What does the grand inquisitor believe is most important about Jesus' temptation?
4. What happened the day before to 100 people declared as heretics?
5. Why does Ivan suggest some people's faith in Jesus become stronger?
6. What is the grand inquisitor's judgment about Jesus' response to the temptation?
7. How are the literary examples in Ivan's preface related?
8. What is the "new heresy" Ivan refers to in the "north of Germany?"
9. Why does the inquisitor think the three questions are important?
10. Why does the crowd ask to be healed by the stranger?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)