|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the cardinal?
(b) Slighty over eighty.
(c) One hundred.
(d) Almost ninety.
2. What author's work doesn't Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(a) Victor Hugo.
3. How does the cardinal''s face look?
(d) Calm but judicious
4. Where is the cardinal when he sees the crowd?
(a) Walking by the Seville Cathedral.
(b) Coming out of the church.
(c) Across from the market.
(d) In his house.
5. Who isn't present in the girl's funeral?
(a) The girl's sister.
(b) The crowd.
(d) The priest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan mean when he says, "fifteen centuries since man has ceased to see signs from heaven"?
2. Why does the crowd tremble in obedience to the cardinal?
3. What is the grand inquisitor's manner with Jesus?
4. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan NOT reference in his "Literary" Preface?
5. What does the prisoner do to be recognized by the people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Jesus use his powers to control man?
2. What is the grand inquisitor's judgment about Jesus' response to the temptation?
3. Why does Ivan suggest some people's faith in Jesus become stronger?
4. Why doesn't the grand inquisitor want Jesus to add to his teachings?
5. Describe Ivan's manner the first time Alyosha stops to question him.
6. Why does Ivan call Jesus' appearance a visit?
7. How are the literary examples in Ivan's preface related?
8. What does the grand inquisitor believe about people's freedom?
9. Why does the crowd flock to Jesus?
10. Why does the inquisitor think the three questions are important?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)