|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the crowd respond to the prisoner's arrest?
(a) The protest.
(b) The try to free him.
(c) They cheer the cardinal.
(d) They bow down to the cardinal.
2. What is the cardinal wearing when he witnesses the crowd?
(a) An old monk's cassock.
(b) A funeral suit.
(c) Uniform of the "holy guard."
(d) Gorgeous cardinal's robes.
3. Who is the character mentioned from "Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie," when Ivan references this play?
(a) The Virgin Mary.
(c) The grand inquisitor.
(d) The devil.
4. How does the cardinal think Jesus would hinder his work?
(a) Trying to get him fired.
(b) Focusing religious attention on himself.
(c) Asking him too many questions.
(d) Protesting for religous freedom.
5. How does the blind man get Jesus to heal him?
(a) Jesus presses is hand to his eyes.
(b) He touches Jesus clothes.
(c) He asks Jesus.
(d) He grabs Jesus hand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan mean when he says, "fifteen centuries since man has ceased to see signs from heaven"?
2. What does the grand inquisitor say happened in the wilderness?
3. What was the cardinal doing the day before the prisoner is arrested?
4. Why doesn't the the grand inquisitor want Jesus to add to his teachings?
5. Who is traveling with the cardinal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ivan suggest some people's faith in Jesus become stronger?
2. Why doesn't the grand inquisitor want Jesus to add to his teachings?
3. Why does the priest in the funeral look perplexed?
4. Describe the grand inquisitor's attitude to the three questions that tempted Jesus.
5. Why does the crowd flock to Jesus?
6. Who is the spirit that talks with Jesus in the wilderness?
7. Why didn't Jesus use his powers to control man?
8. What is the purpose of the spirit's questions to Jesus In the wilderness?
9. Describe Ivan's manner the first time Alyosha stops to question him.
10. How is Jesus tempted in the story?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)