|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What breaks Ivan's Narrative?
(a) He gets tired.
(b) Alyosha has to leave.
(c) He pauses to question Alyosha.
(d) Alyosha asks a question.
2. How does the crowd respond to the prisoner's arrest?
(a) They cheer the cardinal.
(b) The try to free him.
(c) The protest.
(d) They bow down to the cardinal.
3. What do the guards do with the prisoner?
(a) Lock him in a cell.
(b) Feed him.
(c) Allow him to wash.
(d) Ask him his name.
4. Why does Ivan say the character "Our Lady" falls before the throne of God and beg?
(a) She believes in forgiveness for all.
(b) She thinks denial of heaven sufficent punishment.
(c) She wants to save her friends in hell.
(d) She is shocked at what she sees in hell.
5. What does the cardinal do when he repeats the spirit's questions?
(a) He quotes the bible.
(b) He makes a joke of it.
(c) He poses it to the prisoner.
(d) He puts it into he own words.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ivan, what do the characters Our Lady and God discuss in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
2. How do the people react to the guards seizing the prisoner from their midst?
3. How does the cardinal think the prisoner would hinder his work?
4. Where is the prison?
5. Who is traveling with the cardinal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Our Lady feel when she sees sinners in the burning lake?
2. Describe the grand inquisitor's attitude to the three questions that tempted Jesus.
3. What does the cardinal do once he is shut in the room with the prisoner?
4. Why does the crowd ask to be healed by the stranger?
5. Why does Ivan repeatedly mention Dante in his preface?
6. Why does Jesus appear at the specific time and place in Spain?
7. Describe the grand inquisitor's manner of speech to the prisoner.
8. Why were the cardinals, the king and his court, the knights, and the whole population of Seville at the auto de fe?
9. How does the little girl feel when she comes back to life?
10. Describe Ivan's manner the first time Alyosha stops to question him.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)