|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the inquisitor add to his stating of the three questions?
(a) A quotation from scripture.
(b) More factual details.
(c) Ideas about modern science.
(d) A judgement about of man's nature.
2. When the people are silent before him what does the cardinal do?
(a) Preach a sermon.
(b) Demand their obedience.
(c) Explain his actions.
(d) Bless them.
3. What does the grand inquisitor predict will be the crowds reaction to Jesus' punishment?
(a) The will help burn him.
(b) They will protest it.
(c) The will reluctantly accept it.
(d) They will be indifferent.
4. How does Jesus help the second person in the crowd?
(a) He forgives a woman's sins.
(b) He brings a girl back to life.
(c) He helps a man escape torture.
(d) He allows a blind man to see.
5. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan NOT reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(a) The Archangel Michael.
(d) Virgin Mary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the "auto de fe"?
2. What does the the grand inquisitor tell Jesus his fate will be the next day?
3. What does the grand inquisitor think is important about the Jesus' encounter with the spirit?
4. According to Ivan, how does God explain his treatment of sinners in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
5. What does the cardinal say earth's thinkers couldn't do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor add to the first question when he restates it to the prisoner?
2. Who does the church follow instead of Jesus?
3. Why does Ivan repeatedly mention Dante in his preface?
4. How does the little girl feel when she comes back to life?
5. What does the grand inquisitor believe is most important about Jesus' temptation?
6. How does Our Lady feel when she sees sinners in the burning lake?
7. Describe Alyosha's response to Ivan's poem.
8. What is the subject of Ivan's Literary Preface?
9. How is the church giving people their freedom?
10. Why does the grand inquisitor value the weak?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)