|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the cardinal say earth's thinkers couldn't do?
(a) Understand the three questions.
(b) Equal the force of the spirit's questions.
(c) Understand Jesus' true teaching.
(d) Dicipher the true meaning of Jesus' temptation.
2. What do the people do when they first do when they recognize Jesus?
(a) Crowd around him.
(b) Ask him to heal them.
(c) Run away.
(d) Fall at his feet.
3. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus rejects in the wilderness?
(a) The inquistion.
(b) His temptation by a spirt.
(c) The teachings of the church.
(d) Sin in man.
4. According to Ivan, how does God explain his treatment of sinners in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
(a) He says sinners are evil and deserve punishment.
(b) He asks how it would be possible to forgive his son's tormentors.
(c) He explains how punishment teachers people to do good.
(d) He asks what she would do if she were him.
5. Why does the grand inquisitor ask the prisoner to imagine the questions were forgotten?
(a) So he could accept new ones.
(b) So he could invent better ones.
(c) So he would eventually forget them.
(d) So he could imagine their recreation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What author's work doesn't Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
2. What does the prisoner's visitor carry in his hand?
3. Before he is arrested in the story, what doesn't Jesus do?
4. How does Jesus help the second person in the crowd?
5. Why were the "fires lighted" in the Inquisition?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the crowd get excited when they recognize Jesus?
2. Why does Jesus appear at the specific time and place in Spain?
3. Why does God find it hard to spare the sinners in hell despite Our Lady's pleas for mercy?
4. Describe the grand inquisitor's manner of speech to the prisoner.
5. What is the "new heresy" Ivan refers to in the "north of Germany?"
6. What does Alyosha think of the old man's behavior?
7. How does Our Lady feel when she sees sinners in the burning lake?
8. What happened the day before to 100 people declared as heretics?
9. Describe Ivan's manner the first time Alyosha stops to question him.
10. Who is the spirit that talks with Jesus in the wilderness?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)