|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the cardinal think the prisoner would hinder his work?
(a) Adding more judges and courts.
(b) Starting a separate inquisition.
(c) Runing for office.
(d) Stopping the inquisition.
2. What does the inquisitor say couldn't be clear at the time of the questions?
(a) How they would be answered.
(b) Their truth.
(c) Their prophetic nature.
(d) Their importance.
3. Who does the grand inquisitor say the prisoner talked to in the wilderness?
(a) A spirit.
(b) Travelers on the road.
(d) The people of Seville.
4. What do the guards do with the prisoner?
(a) Lock him in a cell.
(b) Allow him to wash.
(c) Feed him.
(d) Ask him his name.
5. When the people are silent before him what does the cardinal do?
(a) Preach a sermon.
(b) Demand their obedience.
(c) Explain his actions.
(d) Bless them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is like "lightning flashing from east to west"?
2. How does Ivan describe the night in Seville?
3. Why doesn't the the grand inquisitor want Jesus to add to his teachings?
4. What doesn't the inquisitor say is brought to together by the spirit's questions to Jesus?
5. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is NOT referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "new heresy" Ivan refers to in the "north of Germany?"
2. Why does the crowd get excited when they recognize Jesus?
3. Why does the priest in the funeral look perplexed?
4. Describe the grand inquisitor's attitude to the three questions that tempted Jesus.
5. Who is the spirit that talks with Jesus in the wilderness?
6. What does Alyosha think of the old man's behavior?
7. Describe Ivan's manner the first time Alyosha stops to question him.
8. Describe the grand inquisitor's manner of speech to the prisoner.
9. Why does Ivan suggest some people's connection in Jesus began to dwindle?
10. What does the grand inquisitor believe is most important about Jesus' temptation?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)