|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prompts the woman of the dead child to ask Jesus for help?
(a) She sees him from afar.
(b) The crowd tells her to.
(c) The priest tells her to.
(d) She doesn't ask.
2. What does the grand inquisitor say happened to Jesus?
(a) He was asked three questions.
(b) He was taught prayers.
(c) He was blessed.
(d) He performed great miracles.
3. What is the grand inquisitor's manner with Jesus?
4. How does the cardinal''s face look?
(d) Calm but judicious
5. How does Ivan describe the prison?
Short Answer Questions
1. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface.
2. According to Ivan, did Jesus have any physical presence on earth in the 16th Century?
3. What happened at the auto de fe the day before the prisoner is arrested?
4. How does the cardinal think Jesus would hinder his work?
5. Why does Ivan say, "there was nothing left but faith in what the heart doth say."
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Jesus tempted in the story?
2. Why does the inquisitor think the three questions are important?
3. Describe the grand inquisitor's attitude to the three questions that tempted Jesus.
4. Why does the priest in the funeral look perplexed?
5. What is the grand inquisitor's judgment about Jesus' response to the temptation?
6. Why does Ivan suggest some people's faith in Jesus become stronger?
7. What is the purpose of the spirit's questions to Jesus In the wilderness?
8. How does Our Lady feel when she sees sinners in the burning lake?
9. How are the literary examples in Ivan's preface related?
10. Why does Jesus appear at the specific time and place in Spain?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)