|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor say the church has done to Jesus' work?
(a) Helped his work to completion.
(b) Finished his work.
(c) Corrected his work.
(d) Brought his work to the masses.
2. What does the grand inquisitor say accompanies faith?
3. How does the cardinal say Jesus responded to the first question from the spirit?
(a) Telling the spirt it is wrong.
(b) Saying man lives not by bread alone.
(c) Ignoring the question.
(d) Calmly answering no.
4. What does Alyosha accuse Ivan of lacking?
(a) Attention to the truth.
(c) Belief in Jesus.
5. What does the inquisitor say people will destroy?
(a) Jesus' temple.
(b) The prisons.
(c) The world.
6. What does the grand inquisitor say is beyond the strength of man?
(a) Being more powerful than the church.
(b) Understanding the engmatic.
(c) Living as one.
(d) Escaping the Inquisition.
7. What mystery does Ivan say is guarded?
(a) The clergy is really after money.
(b) There is no God.
(c) Jesus never existed.
(d) The church doesn't believe what they teach.
8. Why does the cardinal say the clergy keeps silent about the true nature of their power?
(a) To deceive the weak.
(b) Out of love for humanity.
(c) To protect the strong.
(d) To keep control.
9. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus wishes from people?
(a) For them to treat each other as equals.
(b) For them to heal one another.
(c) For them to live as one.
(d) To have them love him on their own.
10. What is the third thing Jesus is tempted with?
(a) Eternal life.
(b) Seizing authority.
(c) Beautiful women.
(d) Having his own church.
11. According to the grand inquisitor, what will the be the church's view on freedom?
(a) It will be publicly banned.
(b) They will want it for all.
(c) They will know they have abolished it.
(d) They will think they are responsible for everyone's freedom.
12. Why does the grand inquisitor think the bribe of bread is ultimately useless?
(a) He thinks spritual wealth is more important.
(b) He doesn't beleive people want bread.
(c) Man can not live on bread alone.
(d) Someone could come along and seize the conscience of humanity.
13. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus would do if he really loved humanity?
(a) Teach them his ways.
(b) Establish his authority.
(c) Give them freedom.
(d) Forgive all sins.
14. Why does the cardinal think that the church will appear to be gods?
(a) They will free the people from spiritual thought.
(b) They will have be all powerful.
(c) They will perform miracles.
(d) They will preach God's word.
15. What does the inquisitor say people will build?
(a) A better religion.
(b) A new Tower of Babel.
(c) A new cathedral.
(d) Food markets for all.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will the church believe about their reign of power?
2. Why does the cardinal think Jesus wouldn't feed the world?
3. Why does the grand inquisitor say men have fought and killed?
4. What does the inquisitor predict the church will do when it achieves supreme authority?
5. Why does Ivan say the inquisitor suffers?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)