|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the cardinal say the church does that Jesus doesn't?
(a) Show compassion.
(b) Understand freedom.
(c) Forgive sinners.
(d) Care for the weak.
2. What does the grand inquisitor say accompanies faith?
3. What does the inquisitor say will happen to the new Tower of Babel?
(a) The church will destroy it.
(b) It won't be finished.
(c) Jesus will finish it.
(d) It will crumble.
4. What motivates the inquisitor besides a desire for power?
(a) he believes he is doing the work of Jesus.
(b) He believes he is doing right.
(c) He never beleived in Jesus.
(d) He wants to destroy the weak.
5. What is the second thing Jesus was tempted with?
(a) Healing the world.
(b) Seizing power.
(c) Proving his power to all.
(d) Asking for forgiveness.
6. What is the significance of the Tower of Babel?
(a) Supreme knowledge.
(b) Physical power.
(c) Man trying to equal god.
(d) Scientific acheivement.
7. What mystery does Ivan say is guarded?
(a) The church doesn't believe what they teach.
(b) Jesus never existed.
(c) There is no God.
(d) The clergy is really after money.
8. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus did to spirituality?
(a) Created it in his actions.
(b) Protected it from the church.
(c) Burdened it with suffering.
(d) Saved it from destruction.
9. To what does the grand inquisitor say man prefers death?
(c) Loving all equally.
(d) Knowing right and wrong.
10. Why does Alyosha accuse Ivan of being a Mason?
(a) He seems greedy for power.
(b) He is against the Inquisition.
(c) He seems to believe in a mystery behind religion.
(d) He seeks to overthrow the church.
11. Why did the grand inquisitor change his mind about religion?
(a) He thought the strong should sufffer.
(b) He thought people should suffer.
(c) He thought only the weak should suffer.
(d) He found all the suffering difficult.
12. Why does the grand inquisitor say men have fought and killed?
(a) To preserve the church.
(b) For honor and power.
(c) For common worship.
(d) For freedom to worship.
13. What did the grand inquisitor believe when he was younger?
(a) In all that Jesus taught.
(b) The church purpose was to control.
(c) That Jesus wasn't real.
(d) That the church was evil.
14. Who will finish the new Tower of Babel?
(a) The church.
(b) The great scientists and thinkers.
(c) No one.
15. According to the grand inquisitor, How does the church use Jesus to deceive the people?
(a) They ask to be worshipped as they were him.
(b) They deny his existance.
(c) They say that Jesus is still living.
(d) They say his teachings were their idea.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ivan say the inquisitor suffers?
2. According to the grand inquisitor, what will the be the church's view on freedom?
3. According to the grand inquisitor, what is the church's work founded on?
4. Why does the cardinal say the clergy keeps silent about the true nature of their power?
5. What changes in himself does the grand inquisitor confess?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)