|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the grand inquisitor, what will the be the church's view on freedom?
(a) They will think they are responsible for everyone's freedom.
(b) It will be publicly banned.
(c) They will know they have abolished it.
(d) They will want it for all.
2. How long does the grand inquisitor say it had been since the church followed Jesus' teachings?
(b) Since the 13th century.
(c) Since the death of Caesar.
(d) 800 years.
3. What does the grand inquisitor think people need in addition to life?
(a) Something to live for.
(b) Someone to love.
(c) Freedom to make decisions.
(d) Jesus and the church.
4. According to the grand inquisitor, what is the difference about how the church and Jesus implement their philosophy?
(a) The church wants people to be free.
(b) Jesus does not beileve in temptation.
(c) Jesus doesn't want people to believe in his.
(d) The church forces theirs on people.
5. What does the grand inquisitor say the church has done to Jesus' work?
(a) Finished his work.
(b) Helped his work to completion.
(c) Corrected his work.
(d) Brought his work to the masses.
6. Who does the grand inquisitor say is blameless?
(a) The church for seizing power.
(b) Those who renounced Jesus.
(c) Jesus for refusing temptation.
(d) The spirit who tempted him.
7. Why does Ivan say the inquisitor suffers?
(a) He thinks Jesus' teachings are incorrect.
(b) The church is deceitful.
(c) He has no faith in god.
(d) He believes in god despite his behavior.
8. What is the first question the spirit asks Jesus?
(a) If he will jump from a deadly height.
(b) If he wants to become all powerful.
(c) If he will heal the sick.
(d) If he will turn rocks into bread.
9. How does the church create a unified body of worship?
(a) Setting examples to be followed.
(c) Using promises made by Jesus.
(d) Forcing its will on leaders and citizens.
10. What does the cardinal say the church does that Jesus doesn't?
(a) Forgive sinners.
(b) Understand freedom.
(c) Care for the weak.
(d) Show compassion.
11. What mystery does Ivan say is guarded?
(a) There is no God.
(b) Jesus never existed.
(c) The clergy is really after money.
(d) The church doesn't believe what they teach.
12. Why does Alyosha accuse Ivan of being a Mason?
(a) He seems to believe in a mystery behind religion.
(b) He seeks to overthrow the church.
(c) He seems greedy for power.
(d) He is against the Inquisition.
13. What does the grand inquisitor say is more powerful than the banner of bread?
(a) Possession of the conscience.
(b) The church and the Inquistion.
(c) Providing food and shelter.
(d) Eternal love.
14. What does Ivan say he wishes for his life?
(a) To overthrow the church.
(b) To be and old wise man.
(c) To live to thirty and then die.
(d) To live forever.
15. How does the grand inquisitor justify people turning their backs?
(a) His says misery increased and Christ was not around.
(b) He points at advances in science.
(c) He knows they are afraid of freedom.
(d) He says he would have done the same.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus did to spirituality?
2. What does Alyosha accuse Ivan of lacking?
3. Why does the cardinal say the clergy keeps silent about the true nature of their power?
4. Describe Alyosha's reaction to Ivan's tale.
5. What is the significance of the Tower of Babel?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)