|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the inquisitor say people will destroy?
(a) The prisons.
(b) The world.
(d) Jesus' temple.
2. Describe Alyosha's reaction to Ivan's tale.
(a) He is bored by the long story.
(b) He questions Ivan's poem as absurd.
(c) He agrees wholeheartedly.
(d) He wants to know more.
3. What mystery does Ivan say is guarded?
(a) The church doesn't believe what they teach.
(b) The clergy is really after money.
(c) There is no God.
(d) Jesus never existed.
4. According to the grand inquisitor, what is the church's work founded on?
(a) Truth and happiness
(b) Miracle, mystery, and authority.
(c) Fear of punishment
(d) Jesus promise to mankind
5. Who will continue to suffer if the church becomes all powerful?
(b) The clergy.
(c) The people of the world.
(d) Those who believe in truth.
6. What does the inquisitor predict the church will do when it achieves supreme authority?
(a) Eliminate all misery.
(b) Give freedom to all.
(c) Make greater questions than those that tempted Jesus.
(d) Finally understand Jesus temptation.
7. Why does the grand inquisitor think man values more than bread?
(b) Love and happiness.
(c) Someone to worship.
8. Why does the inquisitor say people won't need Jesus?
(a) They will be able to feed themselves.
(b) They will have become wise.
(c) They won't want outside help.
(d) They won't need miracles.
9. What does the inquisitor say will happen to the new Tower of Babel?
(a) The church will destroy it.
(b) Jesus will finish it.
(c) It won't be finished.
(d) It will crumble.
10. What does the grand inquisitor say is more powerful than the banner of bread?
(a) The church and the Inquistion.
(b) Eternal love.
(c) Providing food and shelter.
(d) Possession of the conscience.
11. According to the grand inquisitor, what is the difference about how the church and Jesus implement their philosophy?
(a) The church forces theirs on people.
(b) Jesus doesn't want people to believe in his.
(c) Jesus does not beileve in temptation.
(d) The church wants people to be free.
12. What does the Cardinal say would happen if Jesus turned stones into bread?
(a) Everyone would respect him.
(b) Everyone would be obedient to him.
(c) The bread would be refused.
(d) His love would be understood.
13. What does the inquisitor say will eventually happen?
(a) People will reject the church.
(b) People will reject the teachings of Jesus.
(c) Everyone will learn the truth about god.
(d) Everyone will become free.
14. What does the grand inquisitor think people need in addition to life?
(a) Something to live for.
(b) Jesus and the church.
(c) Someone to love.
(d) Freedom to make decisions.
15. According to the grand inquisitor, How does the church use Jesus to deceive the people?
(a) They ask to be worshipped as they were him.
(b) They say that Jesus is still living.
(c) They say his teachings were their idea.
(d) They deny his existance.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will finish the new Tower of Babel?
2. Why do Catholics detest Mason's, according to Ivan?
3. What did the grand inquisitor believe when he was younger?
4. What does the grand inquisitor say the church has done to Jesus' work?
5. What is a prediction given by the grand inquisitor about the future of the church?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)