|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor say is more powerful than the banner of bread?
(a) Eternal love.
(b) The church and the Inquistion.
(c) Providing food and shelter.
(d) Possession of the conscience.
2. What does the cardinal say the church does that Jesus doesn't?
(a) Forgive sinners.
(b) Care for the weak.
(c) Understand freedom.
(d) Show compassion.
3. In the Inquisition, what happens of one disagrees with the church?
(a) They can be punished.
(b) They are shown Jesus teachings.
(c) The church is unconcerened.
(d) They are accepted anyway.
4. What will the church declare upon finishing the temple?
(a) It is done in Jesus' name.
(b) It should be celebrated.
(c) It is for the good of all men.
(d) It is built for truth.
5. What does the inquisitor accuse Jesus of?
(a) Caring only for the strong.
(b) Being blind to the truth.
(c) Thinking sinful thoughts.
(d) Faking his sympathy.
6. What does the grand inquisitor think people need in addition to life?
(a) Jesus and the church.
(b) Freedom to make decisions.
(c) Someone to love.
(d) Something to live for.
7. Why does the cardinal say the clergy keeps silent about the true nature of their power?
(a) Out of love for humanity.
(b) To keep control.
(c) To deceive the weak.
(d) To protect the strong.
8. Why does the cardinal think Jesus wouldn't feed the world?
(a) He did not want to buy their obedience.
(b) He thinks the must work for their food.
(c) He thinks he is selfish.
(d) He does not think them worthy.
9. What does the grand inquisitor say is beyond the strength of man?
(a) Escaping the Inquisition.
(b) Living as one.
(c) Being more powerful than the church.
(d) Understanding the engmatic.
10. What is a prediction given by the grand inquisitor about the future of the church?
(a) It will soon crumble.
(b) It will last for eternity.
(c) The will have power over the state.
(d) It will be destroyed by Jesus.
11. What does the grand inquisitor say the church has done to Jesus' work?
(a) Helped his work to completion.
(b) Finished his work.
(c) Corrected his work.
(d) Brought his work to the masses.
12. What does Alyosha accuse the inquisitor of?
(a) Not loving the weak.
(b) Lying to the people.
(c) Not believing in God.
(d) Never telling the truth.
13. What doesn't Alyosha believe?
(a) That the clergy thinks deception is helpful.
(b) That The prisoner in the story is Jesus.
(c) That Ivan's story is orginal.
(d) That Ivan means what he says.
14. What does the grand inquisitor say accompanies faith?
15. What changes in himself does the grand inquisitor confess?
(a) He used to be an atheist.
(b) He once believed in Jesus' teachings.
(c) He used to want power over all.
(d) He thought Jesus was wrong.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the grand inquisitor think the bribe of bread is ultimately useless?
2. What does the inquisitor say people will destroy?
3. Who does the grand inquisitor say is blameless?
4. What does Ivan say must exist among the clergy?
5. What will the church believe about their reign of power?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)