|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the inquisitor accuse Jesus of?
(a) Being blind to the truth.
(b) Thinking sinful thoughts.
(c) Caring only for the strong.
(d) Faking his sympathy.
2. How does the inquisitor equate the clergy and Jesus himself?
(a) They both made sacrifices.
(b) They both love the strong.
(c) They are both powerfull.
(d) They both love the weak.
3. What is the result of Jesus refusal to take power in the world?
(a) The world has no freedom.
(b) The church needs to take power.
(c) Jesus will be eventually forgotten.
(d) The world is divided according to faith.
4. Why does the cardinal think that the church will appear to be gods?
(a) They will preach God's word.
(b) They will free the people from spiritual thought.
(c) They will perform miracles.
(d) They will have be all powerful.
5. Why did the grand inquisitor change his mind about religion?
(a) He found all the suffering difficult.
(b) He thought the strong should sufffer.
(c) He thought people should suffer.
(d) He thought only the weak should suffer.
6. What does the grand inquisitor say the church has done to Jesus' work?
(a) Finished his work.
(b) Helped his work to completion.
(c) Corrected his work.
(d) Brought his work to the masses.
7. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus would do if he really loved humanity?
(a) Give them freedom.
(b) Teach them his ways.
(c) Forgive all sins.
(d) Establish his authority.
8. What does Ivan promise to do before he dies?
(a) Travel wide and spread love.
(b) Follow the teachings of Jesus on his own.
(c) Join the church.
(d) Return to visit Alyosha.
9. What is the third thing Jesus is tempted with?
(a) Having his own church.
(b) Eternal life.
(c) Beautiful women.
(d) Seizing authority.
10. According to the grand inquisitor, what role does Jesus reject?
(a) Silent wanderer.
(b) Provider of food and shelter.
(c) Aribiter of truth.
(d) Giver of wisdom.
11. Why does Alyosha accuse Ivan of being a Mason?
(a) He seems greedy for power.
(b) He is against the Inquisition.
(c) He seeks to overthrow the church.
(d) He seems to believe in a mystery behind religion.
12. How is the world divided according to the grand inquisitor?
(a) Into the holy and unholy.
(b) Into those who believe, wonder and disbelieve.
(c) By class and ethnicity.
(d) Followers of Jesus and followers of the church.
13. To what does the grand inquisitor say man prefers death?
(b) Knowing right and wrong.
(c) Loving all equally.
14. What does the grand inquisitor say accompanies faith?
15. Why did the grand inquisitor change his mind about Jesus teachings?
(a) He wanted more power.
(b) He began to wonder if they were helpful.
(c) He thought began to think Jesus.
(d) He loved freedom of thought.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first question the spirit asks Jesus?
2. Who will continue to suffer if the church becomes all powerful?
3. According to the grand inquisitor, what is the difference about how the church and Jesus implement their philosophy?
4. Why does the inquisitor say people must submit to authority?
5. What does the inquisitor predict the church will do when it achieves supreme authority?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)