|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Describe Alyosha's reaction to Ivan's tale.
(a) He questions Ivan's poem as absurd.
(b) He agrees wholeheartedly.
(c) He is bored by the long story.
(d) He wants to know more.
2. What is the second thing Jesus was tempted with?
(a) Seizing power.
(b) Asking for forgiveness.
(c) Proving his power to all.
(d) Healing the world.
3. According to the grand inquisitor, how has the church responded to the questions used to tempt Jesus?
(a) They have accepted them.
(b) they have considered them philosophically.
(c) the have forgotten there nature.
(d) They have denied them as Jesus did.
4. What is the third thing Jesus is tempted with?
(a) Beautiful women.
(b) Seizing authority.
(c) Having his own church.
(d) Eternal life.
5. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus did to spirituality?
(a) Created it in his actions.
(b) Protected it from the church.
(c) Saved it from destruction.
(d) Burdened it with suffering.
6. Why does the grand inquisitor say men have fought and killed?
(a) For freedom to worship.
(b) For honor and power.
(c) To preserve the church.
(d) For common worship.
7. What does Alyosha think the Inquisition's secret aim is?
(a) Spreading the word of Jesus.
(b) Power and control.
(c) Helping the weak.
(d) Finding the truth.
8. Who does the grand inquisitor say the church follows?
(a) The teachings of Christ.
(c) The inquisitor himself.
(d) The pope.
9. Where do the people believe the church is leading them?
(a) To relieve them of their conscience.
(b) To submission.
(c) Against the teachings of Jesus.
(d) To virtue and to heaven.
10. Why do Catholics detest Mason's, according to Ivan?
(a) They break up the unity of conformity.
(b) The masons are too greedy.
(c) Masons believe in mystery.
(d) Catholics believe in Jesus.
11. What does the inquisitor predict the church will do when it achieves supreme authority?
(a) Finally understand Jesus temptation.
(b) Give freedom to all.
(c) Eliminate all misery.
(d) Make greater questions than those that tempted Jesus.
12. Why does the cardinal think that the church will appear to be gods?
(a) They will free the people from spiritual thought.
(b) They will perform miracles.
(c) They will preach God's word.
(d) They will have be all powerful.
13. How is the world divided according to the grand inquisitor?
(a) Into the holy and unholy.
(b) Followers of Jesus and followers of the church.
(c) Into those who believe, wonder and disbelieve.
(d) By class and ethnicity.
14. What will the church believe about their reign of power?
(a) It will be truthful and holy.
(b) They will know it is against Jesus' word.
(c) They will expect Jesus' approval.
(d) It is in Jesus' name.
15. What is the result of Jesus refusal to take power in the world?
(a) The world has no freedom.
(b) Jesus will be eventually forgotten.
(c) The church needs to take power.
(d) The world is divided according to faith.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the cardinal say the clergy keeps silent about the true nature of their power?
2. Why does the inquisitor think people will rise?
3. What does the grand inquisitor say is more powerful than the banner of bread?
4. What does the grand inquisitor think people need in addition to life?
5. To what does the grand inquisitor say man prefers death?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)