|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does the grand inquisitor say it had been since the church followed Jesus' teachings?
(a) 800 years.
(b) Since the death of Caesar.
(c) Since the 13th century.
2. Why will they/he continue to suffer?
(a) They are disturbed by their deception.
(b) They do not want the power they have.
(c) They do not believe in heaven.
(d) They will know the burden of freedom of thought.
3. Why does the grand inquisitor say men have fought and killed?
(a) For honor and power.
(b) For common worship.
(c) To preserve the church.
(d) For freedom to worship.
4. What is the first question the spirit asks Jesus?
(a) If he will jump from a deadly height.
(b) If he wants to become all powerful.
(c) If he will heal the sick.
(d) If he will turn rocks into bread.
5. What does the inquisitor say will happen to the new Tower of Babel?
(a) Jesus will finish it.
(b) It won't be finished.
(c) It will crumble.
(d) The church will destroy it.
6. How is the world divided according to the grand inquisitor?
(a) Into those who believe, wonder and disbelieve.
(b) Into the holy and unholy.
(c) By class and ethnicity.
(d) Followers of Jesus and followers of the church.
7. What is the significance of the Tower of Babel?
(a) Man trying to equal god.
(b) Physical power.
(c) Scientific acheivement.
(d) Supreme knowledge.
8. Why does the cardinal say the clergy keeps silent about the true nature of their power?
(a) Out of love for humanity.
(b) To deceive the weak.
(c) To keep control.
(d) To protect the strong.
9. Who will finish the new Tower of Babel?
(b) No one.
(c) The church.
(d) The great scientists and thinkers.
10. Why does the inquisitor say people must submit to authority?
(a) it is wise for them to do so.
(b) It is the only way they can find food.
(c) To releive them of the burden of freedom.
(d) Freedom can not exist.
11. Why does the inquisitor think people will rise?
(a) Because they will not beleive in the church.
(b) Because Jesus can't control them.
(c) They will want Jesus' power.
(d) They will need more food.
12. According to the grand inquisitor, what is the difference about how the church and Jesus implement their philosophy?
(a) Jesus does not beileve in temptation.
(b) Jesus doesn't want people to believe in his.
(c) The church wants people to be free.
(d) The church forces theirs on people.
13. What is a prediction given by the grand inquisitor about the future of the church?
(a) The will have power over the state.
(b) It will soon crumble.
(c) It will last for eternity.
(d) It will be destroyed by Jesus.
14. According to the grand inquisitor, what will the be the church's view on freedom?
(a) They will want it for all.
(b) They will think they are responsible for everyone's freedom.
(c) They will know they have abolished it.
(d) It will be publicly banned.
15. Why does the grand inquisitor think the bribe of bread is ultimately useless?
(a) He doesn't beleive people want bread.
(b) Man can not live on bread alone.
(c) He thinks spritual wealth is more important.
(d) Someone could come along and seize the conscience of humanity.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does the grand inquisitor say man prefers death?
2. What will the church believe about their reign of power?
3. Why must the church determine right and wrong for the people, according to the grand inquisitor?
4. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus did to spirituality?
5. What does Ivan promise to do before he dies?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)