|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the inquisitor say people will build?
(a) A new cathedral.
(b) Food markets for all.
(c) A better religion.
(d) A new Tower of Babel.
2. According to the grand inquisitor, what is the church's work founded on?
(a) Jesus promise to mankind
(b) Fear of punishment
(c) Miracle, mystery, and authority.
(d) Truth and happiness
3. Who does the grand inquisitor say the church follows?
(a) The pope.
(b) The inquisitor himself.
(c) The teachings of Christ.
4. According to the grand inquisitor, what is the difference about how the church and Jesus implement their philosophy?
(a) The church wants people to be free.
(b) Jesus doesn't want people to believe in his.
(c) The church forces theirs on people.
(d) Jesus does not beileve in temptation.
5. What does the grand inquisitor think people need in addition to life?
(a) Jesus and the church.
(b) Someone to love.
(c) Freedom to make decisions.
(d) Something to live for.
6. What is the third thing Jesus is tempted with?
(a) Beautiful women.
(b) Eternal life.
(c) Having his own church.
(d) Seizing authority.
7. What does the cardinal say the church does that Jesus doesn't?
(a) Care for the weak.
(b) Show compassion.
(c) Forgive sinners.
(d) Understand freedom.
8. What is the second thing Jesus was tempted with?
(a) Asking for forgiveness.
(b) Seizing power.
(c) Healing the world.
(d) Proving his power to all.
9. What mystery does Ivan say is guarded?
(a) The church doesn't believe what they teach.
(b) Jesus never existed.
(c) The clergy is really after money.
(d) There is no God.
10. Why will they/he continue to suffer?
(a) They do not believe in heaven.
(b) They do not want the power they have.
(c) They are disturbed by their deception.
(d) They will know the burden of freedom of thought.
11. Describe Alyosha's reaction to Ivan's tale.
(a) He questions Ivan's poem as absurd.
(b) He agrees wholeheartedly.
(c) He wants to know more.
(d) He is bored by the long story.
12. What motivates the inquisitor besides a desire for power?
(a) he believes he is doing the work of Jesus.
(b) He believes he is doing right.
(c) He wants to destroy the weak.
(d) He never beleived in Jesus.
13. What is the first question the spirit asks Jesus?
(a) If he will heal the sick.
(b) If he will jump from a deadly height.
(c) If he will turn rocks into bread.
(d) If he wants to become all powerful.
14. Why must the church determine right and wrong for the people, according to the grand inquisitor?
(a) To protect the the church.
(b) To maintain his authority.
(c) To save them from misery.
(d) To enslave them.
15. Why does the grand inquisitor think man values more than bread?
(c) Love and happiness.
(d) Someone to worship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the inquisitor say people will destroy?
2. What will the church declare upon finishing the temple?
3. How long does the grand inquisitor say it had been since the church followed Jesus' teachings?
4. Why does Alyosha accuse Ivan of being a Mason?
5. According to the grand inquisitor, how has the church responded to the questions used to tempt Jesus?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)