|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor think people need in addition to life?
(a) Something to live for.
(b) Jesus and the church.
(c) Someone to love.
(d) Freedom to make decisions.
2. Why does Ivan say the inquisitor suffers?
(a) The church is deceitful.
(b) He believes in god despite his behavior.
(c) He thinks Jesus' teachings are incorrect.
(d) He has no faith in god.
3. How does the grand inquisitor think Jesus created conscience?
(a) By not proving his identity.
(b) Living selflessly.
(c) In his interactions with students.
(d) Teaching man through example.
4. What did the grand inquisitor believe when he was younger?
(a) That the church was evil.
(b) In all that Jesus taught.
(c) The church purpose was to control.
(d) That Jesus wasn't real.
5. Why does the inquisitor say people won't need Jesus?
(a) They will have become wise.
(b) They won't need miracles.
(c) They will be able to feed themselves.
(d) They won't want outside help.
6. How does the grand inquisitor justify people turning their backs?
(a) His says misery increased and Christ was not around.
(b) He points at advances in science.
(c) He knows they are afraid of freedom.
(d) He says he would have done the same.
7. What is the third thing Jesus is tempted with?
(a) Having his own church.
(b) Seizing authority.
(c) Beautiful women.
(d) Eternal life.
8. Why does the cardinal think people don't want freedom?
(a) They can't understand it.
(b) They are not smart enough.
(c) It too difficult for them.
(d) They hate all decisions.
9. How does the cardinal say Jesus responded to the first question from the spirit?
(a) Ignoring the question.
(b) Calmly answering no.
(c) Telling the spirt it is wrong.
(d) Saying man lives not by bread alone.
10. What does the grand inquisitor say the church has done to Jesus' work?
(a) Corrected his work.
(b) Brought his work to the masses.
(c) Finished his work.
(d) Helped his work to completion.
11. What does the grand inquisitor say is more powerful than the banner of bread?
(a) The church and the Inquistion.
(b) Providing food and shelter.
(c) Possession of the conscience.
(d) Eternal love.
12. What does Ivan promise to do before he dies?
(a) Travel wide and spread love.
(b) Follow the teachings of Jesus on his own.
(c) Join the church.
(d) Return to visit Alyosha.
13. Who does the grand inquisitor say the church follows?
(b) The pope.
(c) The teachings of Christ.
(d) The inquisitor himself.
14. According to the grand inquisitor, how has the church responded to the questions used to tempt Jesus?
(a) the have forgotten there nature.
(b) They have accepted them.
(c) they have considered them philosophically.
(d) They have denied them as Jesus did.
15. What does the cardinal say man will do for earthly bread?
(c) Be appeased.
(d) Stop sinning.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the inquisitor think people will rise?
2. What mystery does Ivan say is guarded?
3. Why does the grand inquisitor think man values more than bread?
4. Why must the church determine right and wrong for the people, according to the grand inquisitor?
5. What does the inquisitor say will eventually happen?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)