|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the people believe the church is leading them?
(a) To submission.
(b) To relieve them of their conscience.
(c) To virtue and to heaven.
(d) Against the teachings of Jesus.
2. What does the inquisitor say will happen to the new Tower of Babel?
(a) It will crumble.
(b) It won't be finished.
(c) The church will destroy it.
(d) Jesus will finish it.
3. What does the grand inquisitor say the church has done to Jesus' work?
(a) Corrected his work.
(b) Finished his work.
(c) Helped his work to completion.
(d) Brought his work to the masses.
4. According to the grand inquisitor, what is the church's work founded on?
(a) Jesus promise to mankind
(b) Miracle, mystery, and authority.
(c) Truth and happiness
(d) Fear of punishment
5. Why does the cardinal think Jesus wouldn't feed the world?
(a) He does not think them worthy.
(b) He thinks the must work for their food.
(c) He thinks he is selfish.
(d) He did not want to buy their obedience.
6. What is the significance of the Tower of Babel?
(a) Physical power.
(b) Supreme knowledge.
(c) Scientific acheivement.
(d) Man trying to equal god.
7. What is the first question the spirit asks Jesus?
(a) If he will turn rocks into bread.
(b) If he will jump from a deadly height.
(c) If he will heal the sick.
(d) If he wants to become all powerful.
8. How is the world divided according to the grand inquisitor?
(a) By class and ethnicity.
(b) Into those who believe, wonder and disbelieve.
(c) Followers of Jesus and followers of the church.
(d) Into the holy and unholy.
9. Why will they/he continue to suffer?
(a) They will know the burden of freedom of thought.
(b) They do not believe in heaven.
(c) They are disturbed by their deception.
(d) They do not want the power they have.
10. What will the church declare upon finishing the temple?
(a) It should be celebrated.
(b) It is for the good of all men.
(c) It is done in Jesus' name.
(d) It is built for truth.
11. What did the grand inquisitor believe when he was younger?
(a) That the church was evil.
(b) That Jesus wasn't real.
(c) In all that Jesus taught.
(d) The church purpose was to control.
12. What does the inquisitor say will eventually happen?
(a) People will reject the church.
(b) Everyone will learn the truth about god.
(c) People will reject the teachings of Jesus.
(d) Everyone will become free.
13. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus wishes from people?
(a) For them to live as one.
(b) For them to heal one another.
(c) To have them love him on their own.
(d) For them to treat each other as equals.
14. What does the cardinal say the church does that Jesus doesn't?
(a) Understand freedom.
(b) Forgive sinners.
(c) Care for the weak.
(d) Show compassion.
15. What does Ivan promise to do before he dies?
(a) Travel wide and spread love.
(b) Return to visit Alyosha.
(c) Follow the teachings of Jesus on his own.
(d) Join the church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alyosha accuse the inquisitor of?
2. In the Inquisition, what happens of one disagrees with the church?
3. According to the grand inquisitor, what role does Jesus reject?
4. Why does the inquisitor say people won't need Jesus?
5. How does the grand inquisitor justify people turning their backs?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)