|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor think people need in addition to life?
(a) Something to live for.
(b) Someone to love.
(c) Freedom to make decisions.
(d) Jesus and the church.
2. According to the grand inquisitor, How does the church use Jesus to deceive the people?
(a) They deny his existance.
(b) They ask to be worshipped as they were him.
(c) They say his teachings were their idea.
(d) They say that Jesus is still living.
3. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus wishes from people?
(a) To have them love him on their own.
(b) For them to live as one.
(c) For them to heal one another.
(d) For them to treat each other as equals.
4. Why does the inquisitor say the people will allow their tower to be finished?
(a) They can't do it themselves.
(b) They want food.
(c) They need it to be completed.
(d) They will not believe in Jesus.
5. According to the grand inquisitor, what role does Jesus reject?
(a) Provider of food and shelter.
(b) Giver of wisdom.
(c) Silent wanderer.
(d) Aribiter of truth.
6. What does the inquisitor say people will build?
(a) A better religion.
(b) A new cathedral.
(c) A new Tower of Babel.
(d) Food markets for all.
7. What does Ivan hope to learn upon meeting Alyosha again?
(a) About his experiences.
(b) If he really liked his poem.
(c) About his family.
(d) How his thinking has changed.
8. Why do Catholics detest Mason's, according to Ivan?
(a) The masons are too greedy.
(b) They break up the unity of conformity.
(c) Masons believe in mystery.
(d) Catholics believe in Jesus.
9. How long does the grand inquisitor say it had been since the church followed Jesus' teachings?
(a) Since the 13th century.
(b) 800 years.
(c) Since the death of Caesar.
10. What does the grand inquisitor say the church has done to Jesus' work?
(a) Brought his work to the masses.
(b) Finished his work.
(c) Helped his work to completion.
(d) Corrected his work.
11. What does Alyosha accuse the inquisitor of?
(a) Not believing in God.
(b) Lying to the people.
(c) Never telling the truth.
(d) Not loving the weak.
12. What does the inquisitor accuse Jesus of?
(a) Faking his sympathy.
(b) Thinking sinful thoughts.
(c) Being blind to the truth.
(d) Caring only for the strong.
13. In the Inquisition, what happens of one disagrees with the church?
(a) They can be punished.
(b) They are shown Jesus teachings.
(c) The church is unconcerened.
(d) They are accepted anyway.
14. What does Alyosha think the Inquisition's secret aim is?
(a) Finding the truth.
(b) Power and control.
(c) Helping the weak.
(d) Spreading the word of Jesus.
15. What does the grand inquisitor say accompanies faith?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan say must exist among the clergy?
2. Where do the people believe the church is leading them?
3. What will the church declare upon finishing the temple?
4. What does the inquisitor say people will destroy?
5. How does the cardinal say Jesus responded to the first question from the spirit?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)