|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who will continue to suffer if the church becomes all powerful?
(a) The people of the world.
(c) The clergy.
(d) Those who believe in truth.
2. What does Alyosha accuse Ivan of lacking?
(a) Belief in Jesus.
(b) Attention to the truth.
3. How does the inquisitor equate the clergy and Jesus himself?
(a) They both love the weak.
(b) They are both powerfull.
(c) They both love the strong.
(d) They both made sacrifices.
4. What does Alyosha think the Inquisition's secret aim is?
(a) Helping the weak.
(b) Finding the truth.
(c) Power and control.
(d) Spreading the word of Jesus.
5. Why does the inquisitor say the people will allow their tower to be finished?
(a) They want food.
(b) They will not believe in Jesus.
(c) They need it to be completed.
(d) They can't do it themselves.
6. Who does the grand inquisitor say the church follows?
(a) The pope.
(b) The teachings of Christ.
(c) The inquisitor himself.
7. Why does Ivan say the inquisitor suffers?
(a) The church is deceitful.
(b) He thinks Jesus' teachings are incorrect.
(c) He believes in god despite his behavior.
(d) He has no faith in god.
8. What responsibility does the inquisitor say the has clergy taken on?
(a) Freeing man's soul.
(b) Fixing man's mistakes.
(c) Knowing the agony of freedom.
(d) Re-interpreting Jesus' work.
9. What does the inquisitor say will eventually happen?
(a) People will reject the church.
(b) Everyone will become free.
(c) Everyone will learn the truth about god.
(d) People will reject the teachings of Jesus.
10. How is the world divided according to the grand inquisitor?
(a) Into those who believe, wonder and disbelieve.
(b) By class and ethnicity.
(c) Followers of Jesus and followers of the church.
(d) Into the holy and unholy.
11. What is the result of Jesus refusal to take power in the world?
(a) The world is divided according to faith.
(b) Jesus will be eventually forgotten.
(c) The world has no freedom.
(d) The church needs to take power.
12. What does the cardinal think will lead man away from Jesus?
(a) Having physical comfort.
(b) Increased spiritual thinking.
(c) Worrying about the future.
(d) Not having enough bread.
13. What is the third thing Jesus is tempted with?
(a) Eternal life.
(b) Seizing authority.
(c) Having his own church.
(d) Beautiful women.
14. What does the grand inquisitor say accompanies faith?
15. How does the church create a unified body of worship?
(a) Forcing its will on leaders and citizens.
(b) Setting examples to be followed.
(d) Using promises made by Jesus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first question the spirit asks Jesus?
2. What does the inquisitor say will happen to the new Tower of Babel?
3. Why does the cardinal think people don't want freedom?
4. According to the grand inquisitor, what will the be the church's view on freedom?
5. What does the inquisitor accuse Jesus of?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)