Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does the grand inquisitor say man prefers death?
(a) Knowing right and wrong.
(b) Loving all equally.
2. What does Ivan say he wishes for his life?
(a) To live to thirty and then die.
(b) To be and old wise man.
(c) To overthrow the church.
(d) To live forever.
3. Why does the grand inquisitor think the bribe of bread is ultimately useless?
(a) He doesn't beleive people want bread.
(b) He thinks spritual wealth is more important.
(c) Someone could come along and seize the conscience of humanity.
(d) Man can not live on bread alone.
4. What does the grand inquisitor say is more powerful than the banner of bread?
(a) Possession of the conscience.
(b) Eternal love.
(c) Providing food and shelter.
(d) The church and the Inquistion.
5. What doesn't Alyosha believe?
(a) That Ivan means what he says.
(b) That the clergy thinks deception is helpful.
(c) That Ivan's story is orginal.
(d) That The prisoner in the story is Jesus.
6. Who does the grand inquisitor say the church follows?
(a) The pope.
(b) The teachings of Christ.
(d) The inquisitor himself.
7. What does Ivan say must exist among the clergy?
(a) One believer in the church's mission.
(b) A man unlike the inquisitor.
(c) Hope and love.
(d) Jesus in disguise.
8. What does Ivan hope to learn upon meeting Alyosha again?
(a) About his experiences.
(b) If he really liked his poem.
(c) How his thinking has changed.
(d) About his family.
9. Why must the church determine right and wrong for the people, according to the grand inquisitor?
(a) To protect the the church.
(b) To maintain his authority.
(c) To save them from misery.
(d) To enslave them.
10. Why does the grand inquisitor say men have fought and killed?
(a) For honor and power.
(b) To preserve the church.
(c) For common worship.
(d) For freedom to worship.
11. Why does Ivan say the inquisitor suffers?
(a) The church is deceitful.
(b) He thinks Jesus' teachings are incorrect.
(c) He believes in god despite his behavior.
(d) He has no faith in god.
12. How does the church create a unified body of worship?
(a) Setting examples to be followed.
(b) Using promises made by Jesus.
(d) Forcing its will on leaders and citizens.
13. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus wishes from people?
(a) For them to treat each other as equals.
(b) For them to live as one.
(c) For them to heal one another.
(d) To have them love him on their own.
14. How is the world divided according to the grand inquisitor?
(a) By class and ethnicity.
(b) Into those who believe, wonder and disbelieve.
(c) Followers of Jesus and followers of the church.
(d) Into the holy and unholy.
15. In the Inquisition, what happens of one disagrees with the church?
(a) They are shown Jesus teachings.
(b) They can be punished.
(c) The church is unconcerened.
(d) They are accepted anyway.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the inquisitor predict the church will do when it achieves supreme authority?
2. Why does the cardinal think that the church will appear to be gods?
3. What is the third thing Jesus is tempted with?
4. What did the grand inquisitor believe when he was younger?
5. How does the grand inquisitor justify people turning their backs?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)