|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alyosha accuse Ivan of lacking?
(b) Belief in Jesus.
(d) Attention to the truth.
2. Why did the grand inquisitor change his mind about religion?
(a) He thought only the weak should suffer.
(b) He thought people should suffer.
(c) He thought the strong should sufffer.
(d) He found all the suffering difficult.
3. What does the grand inquisitor say the church must do for the people?
(a) Show them the truth.
(b) Give them power.
(c) Teach them about Jesus.
(d) Seize their conscience.
4. Describe Alyosha's reaction to Ivan's tale.
(a) He is bored by the long story.
(b) He agrees wholeheartedly.
(c) He wants to know more.
(d) He questions Ivan's poem as absurd.
5. What does the Cardinal say would happen if Jesus turned stones into bread?
(a) Everyone would respect him.
(b) The bread would be refused.
(c) Everyone would be obedient to him.
(d) His love would be understood.
6. Who does the grand inquisitor say the church follows?
(a) The inquisitor himself.
(c) The pope.
(d) The teachings of Christ.
7. What does Ivan say he wishes for his life?
(a) To live forever.
(b) To overthrow the church.
(c) To be and old wise man.
(d) To live to thirty and then die.
8. What will the church believe about their reign of power?
(a) It is in Jesus' name.
(b) It will be truthful and holy.
(c) They will expect Jesus' approval.
(d) They will know it is against Jesus' word.
9. Why does the cardinal say the clergy keeps silent about the true nature of their power?
(a) To deceive the weak.
(b) To protect the strong.
(c) To keep control.
(d) Out of love for humanity.
10. What does the inquisitor say will eventually happen?
(a) People will reject the teachings of Jesus.
(b) Everyone will become free.
(c) People will reject the church.
(d) Everyone will learn the truth about god.
11. What does the inquisitor say people will destroy?
(a) The prisons.
(b) The world.
(c) Jesus' temple.
12. What doesn't Alyosha believe?
(a) That the clergy thinks deception is helpful.
(b) That Ivan means what he says.
(c) That Ivan's story is orginal.
(d) That The prisoner in the story is Jesus.
13. According to the grand inquisitor, what role does Jesus reject?
(a) Aribiter of truth.
(b) Silent wanderer.
(c) Giver of wisdom.
(d) Provider of food and shelter.
14. Why does the cardinal think that the church will appear to be gods?
(a) They will perform miracles.
(b) They will have be all powerful.
(c) They will preach God's word.
(d) They will free the people from spiritual thought.
15. What does Ivan say must exist among the clergy?
(a) One believer in the church's mission.
(b) A man unlike the inquisitor.
(c) Hope and love.
(d) Jesus in disguise.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor say the church has done to Jesus' work?
2. How is the world divided according to the grand inquisitor?
3. What does the cardinal say the church does that Jesus doesn't?
4. What is the first question the spirit asks Jesus?
5. What will the church declare upon finishing the temple?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)