|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What motivates the inquisitor besides a desire for power?
(a) he believes he is doing the work of Jesus.
(b) He never beleived in Jesus.
(c) He believes he is doing right.
(d) He wants to destroy the weak.
2. Why does the inquisitor say people won't need Jesus?
(a) They won't want outside help.
(b) They will have become wise.
(c) They won't need miracles.
(d) They will be able to feed themselves.
3. Why does Alyosha accuse Ivan of being a Mason?
(a) He seeks to overthrow the church.
(b) He seems to believe in a mystery behind religion.
(c) He is against the Inquisition.
(d) He seems greedy for power.
4. What is similar about Catholics and Masons, according to Ivan?
(a) They both elect officials.
(b) They want to stop the Inquisition.
(c) They have secret philosophies.
(d) They believe in freedom.
5. Who does the grand inquisitor say is blameless?
(a) The spirit who tempted him.
(b) The church for seizing power.
(c) Jesus for refusing temptation.
(d) Those who renounced Jesus.
6. According to the grand inquisitor, what is the church's work founded on?
(a) Fear of punishment
(b) Jesus promise to mankind
(c) Truth and happiness
(d) Miracle, mystery, and authority.
7. Why will they/he continue to suffer?
(a) They are disturbed by their deception.
(b) They will know the burden of freedom of thought.
(c) They do not want the power they have.
(d) They do not believe in heaven.
8. What did the grand inquisitor believe when he was younger?
(a) In all that Jesus taught.
(b) The church purpose was to control.
(c) That the church was evil.
(d) That Jesus wasn't real.
9. What does the inquisitor say will happen to the new Tower of Babel?
(a) It will crumble.
(b) Jesus will finish it.
(c) The church will destroy it.
(d) It won't be finished.
10. What will the church declare upon finishing the temple?
(a) It should be celebrated.
(b) It is for the good of all men.
(c) It is done in Jesus' name.
(d) It is built for truth.
11. What does the inquisitor accuse Jesus of?
(a) Thinking sinful thoughts.
(b) Being blind to the truth.
(c) Caring only for the strong.
(d) Faking his sympathy.
12. What does the grand inquisitor say the church must do for the people?
(a) Give them power.
(b) Show them the truth.
(c) Seize their conscience.
(d) Teach them about Jesus.
13. According to the grand inquisitor, what is the difference about how the church and Jesus implement their philosophy?
(a) The church wants people to be free.
(b) Jesus doesn't want people to believe in his.
(c) Jesus does not beileve in temptation.
(d) The church forces theirs on people.
14. According to the grand inquisitor, How does the church use Jesus to deceive the people?
(a) They say his teachings were their idea.
(b) They deny his existance.
(c) They ask to be worshipped as they were him.
(d) They say that Jesus is still living.
15. What is a prediction given by the grand inquisitor about the future of the church?
(a) It will soon crumble.
(b) It will last for eternity.
(c) The will have power over the state.
(d) It will be destroyed by Jesus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the grand inquisitor change his mind about Jesus teachings?
2. According to the grand inquisitor, what role does Jesus reject?
3. Describe Alyosha's reaction to Ivan's tale.
4. What sanction does the grand inquisitor claim Jesus has given for their behavior?
5. Why did the grand inquisitor change his mind about religion?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)